Alex Smith (former Sony dev) leaks stuff...

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Im really happy for thr Crunchyroll news, I'm surprised it took this long. Even Gamepass gives 3 months of Crunchyroll but not Sony who owns them
Part of the Azure deal they signed to host Crunchyroll.

D

Deleted member 223

EA x Sony partnership centering around Battlefield is going to be a natural union - no need to clout chase on it. Almost guaranteed - in an effort to bury COD.

As for Konami IP rights. Again, another low hanging fruit.... Konami's on a low, as thus the perfect time to feed, for the right price. I've been a proponent of this idea, it makes too much sense. Konami's IP's have dormant mindshare, specially with the core audience. Thus, all those IPs need is the right studio, the right vision, and the right budget. If the core supports the games and are happy, the casuals will trickle slowly just by the hype and word of mouth core gamers manufacture.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Lol at buying the movie rights to Catlevania, mgs, silent hill. Jeeze that would be annoying. Buy the freakin game Ips

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony said they won't make more (big) acqusitions until the mid to long term: they moved away most of the remaining budget for investments and acquisitions they had for the current FY.
That would be such a shame, they mentioned they had billions for acquisitions before. Bungie was ok but I was hoping they would get more

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Well, the studio making the Metal Gear Solid since many years ago is Sony Pictures.

As I remember what Sony announced was that select anime content from Crunchyroll was going to be included in Sony Pictures Core in the future, and that around 100 Sony Pictures Core rotating movies will be included in PS+ Premium.

He's wrong here suggesting that Sony would buy EA: Sony said they won't make more (big) acqusitions until the mid to long term: they moved away most of the remaining budget for investments and acquisitions they had for the current FY.

And said they will sell 80% of their banks division (a process that will take 2-3 years) and plan to use cash for entertainment focused acquisitions.
If that is true and your interpretation is accurate, it's a huge folly two to three years is enough time for Microsoft to potentially buy much more of the industry or at least put in offers to keep Sony from getting anyone.

The lethargic pace at which Sony moves is really hurting the whole business.

They have almost 16 billion lying in liquid sums as cash on hand and hundreds of billions in long-term assets that could be better used elsewhere.

They also have access to tens of billions in debt financing through the bond markets, although now they have waited so long to act that bonds are not a good investment as interest is higher than the return on most bonds.

This is the incompetence of Sony leadership really. Waiting, while others gain the initiative and build on each move they make.... while Sony are still in almost the same place.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Puff

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
EA is way overpriced but at the same time they need something to protect them from leaving Playstation. There must be another way instead of buying this mammoth. Buy shares and make a 10 years deal?

For the same price they could get WB, 2K, Square and more. Find another way Sony 🫤
EA is a better get then Activision, I guess Microsoft really wants a big splash into mobile gaming. EA has more lucrative IP that sells great on consoles and would be a great merger for Sony.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If that is true and your interpretation is accurate, it's a huge folly two to three years is enough time for Microsoft to potentially buy much more of the industry or at least put in offers to keep Sony from getting anyone.

The lethargic pace at which Sony moves is really hurting the whole business.

They have almost 16 billion lying in liquid sums as cash on hand and hundreds of billions in long-term assets that could be better used elsewhere.

They also have access to tens of billions in debt financing through the bond markets, although now they have waited so long to act that bonds are not a good investment as interest is higher than the return on most bonds.

This is the incompetence of Sony leadership really. Waiting, while others gain the initiative and build on each move they make.... while Sony are still in almost the same place.
100%

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I can see bandai happening but for me, as a PS fan, they don't really have any worthwhile IPs, other than Ace Combat.
Yeah out of Capcom, Square, Konami, Namco has the least interesting IPs. Especially when they don’t own FromSoft, so those Fromsoft Ips are useless without FromSoft

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I can see bandai happening but for me, as a PS fan, they don't really have any worthwhile IPs, other than Ace Combat.
Elden Ring and Dark Souls?

Obviously thats contingent on continuing to work with From Software but I think it's unlikely they wouldn't keep doing so. Especially as Sony owns part of From Software too

They have a lot of valuable licensed Anime IP too that frankly are being a bit underused

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
EA is a better get then Activision, I guess Microsoft really wants a big splash into mobile gaming. EA has more lucrative IP that sells great on consoles and would be a great merger for Sony.
You can’t be releasing janky, buggy assed shite as a platform holder like Sony tho. The brand is synonymous with quality. You either dilute your high bar or spend way too much trying to fix shit in a 3rd party like EA. Neither option seems feasible..

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Elden Ring and Dark Souls?

Obviously thats contingent on continuing to work with From Software but I think it's unlikely they wouldn't keep doing so. Especially as Sony owns part of From Software too

They have a lot of valuable licensed Anime IP too that frankly are being a bit underused
Isn't ER owned by FS? Anyway, might as well go for FS as well.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I don't believe that guy for a second but Namco has at least two big fighting games and a lot of anime style games, so it would have a lot of synergy for Sony.

I would also like to highlight that the Yen is so weak that Namco used to be around 20 billion but is now only 13 billion when converted to dollars. So it's good value from that pov.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem