Another Forbes article (Tassi the guy you love) A PS5 Pro Will Feel Extra Unnecessary This Time Around

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems like you're purposefully misunderstanding this. The existence of a better more powerful unit doesn't negate the existing unit. I'm not saying that. The OLED Switch doesn't invalidate the last 6 years of Nintendo Switch. The existence of the 4090 doesn't negate my lowly 6700XT.

The problem is I bought a PS5 at launch and it wasn't worth it. I could've easily rode out the PS4 Pro and played most of the same games with good performance. I would have been better off not buying the PS5 and getting the Pro model this year. I will remember this when Sony expects me to get excited about their next generation box.
You will be fine just like me with PS5.

We are not talking about something like Series S here.
I was fine with PS4.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah but would a full game like The Matrix demo run above 30 on the base PS5 (or Xbox, for that matter)? That's where a Pro comes in handy, assuming the bottleneck for > 30 on base would be the CPU, and the PS5 Pro has a better CPU (architecture, speed, cache, or a combination of those three).

And, there would be a market of people willing to get the Pro if it meant higher frames for such a game. Although that game, or at least enough of them, would need to be actual exclusives (no simultaneous PC release) because at least some cross-section of these people would be likely to get a higher-performant version on PC if that choice was there. But such a choice would be detrimental to the value proposition of the Pro model, if it were a Day 1 type of thing.
The glacial rollout of Unreal Engine this gen has to do with terrible performance of the engine on current consoles. Epic has to get to the point where a Matrix quality game would run at least at 30.

If Unreal can't get to GOOD performance on a stock PS5, it is fucked as a engine. Putting out a Pro console as an expensive over-engineered bandaid is not a solution for Epic or Sony.

It's totally nutty that you think good performing games on PS5 Pro would have to be exclusive because they'd compete with PC. It's counter to the last 30 years of game development.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

It’s time for another set of PS5 Pro rumors and discussion, a console upgrade that Sony is allegedly making while Microsoft’s plans to potentially do the same remain a lot more nebulous, even though they did so last generation with the Xbox Series X

Now, Sony is potentially looking to get players to upgrade their current PS5s four years after their 2020 launch, and the latest rumors put a potential release date at 2024. Some expect it to be announced at CES shortly, others think it won’t be for much longer, closer to potential release. If that fall 2024 date is accurate at all.

The specs indicate that Sony is at least trying to produce 60 fps on almost all games, and it would of course be the most powerful console on the market when it arrives, as they wouldn’t even bother with it, if not. But this time around, it feels like the PS5 Pro is even more unnecessary than the PS4 Pro was, and it’s going to be an odd release and a tough ask for an upgrade this time around.

We still do not know exactly how many PS4 Pros were sold in relation to the 117 million reported total PS4 sales. Shuhei Yoshida said it sold more than the PS4 Slim, but that’s about all we’ve heard. But it was apparently enough for them to try to replicate the concept again.

There are some significant differences here, however:

• The PS5 suffered from serious supply issues for the first two years of launch, causing many delayed purchases from consumers. So even if we are four years into the console generation instead of three like the PS4 Pro, it may still feel too soon to upgrade for many.
  • But on the other side of the coin, being 4 years into a console generation may make other early adopters feel like they might as well just wait for the PS6, especially if the upgrades that the console get do not seem especially game-changing, power edge aside, as it’s always a big ask to upgrade an entire console if you have one that works perfectly well already. Or if you can buy a “normal” one for much cheaper.
  • We are also living in an age of tremendous price inflation, and while the PS4 Pro launched at $400, the same price as the PS4 at launch, there’s no telling how much a PS5 Pro might cost. As you’ll recall it was $450 for a digital version and $500 for a disc version. Now, there is only the $450 one with an optional disc drive for $80. At minimum, it seems like the PS5 Pro would be a $500 ask, if not more, which may be off-putting.
  • Finally, the current PS5 generation has been a bit odd with its exclusives. Many of its biggest games like Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok have also launched on PS4, not wanting to leave those 117 million owners behind. We have only gotten a scarce handful of PS5-only, large-scale games, the biggest of which being this year’s Spider-Man 2 and its insta-load screens. And PS5 is looking to have a relatively light 2024 in the grand scheme of things minus maybe Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. So there are few games that may feel like PS5 is going to elevate them in some way, at least currently, as that may change in the future.
I genuinely think that GTA 6 may end up being the most relevant upgrade factor here. It’s destined to be one of the biggest games of all time, barring some serious ball-dropping by Rockstar, and it’s easy to imagine many players, myself included, will want the best hardware to run the once in a generation game for the first time. And if Xbox does not get an upgrade, and the PC version isn’t out for at least a year, that will be the PS5 Pro. Though GTA is not out until some time in 2025, or beyond, if delayed.
Man is a failed sci-fi writer and he’s desperate for clicks

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I’m telling you right now that Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED will be obsolete and imo useless after the release of Switch 2.

Switch OLED, Switch Lite and Switch are all the same… same APU.

Switch 2 or how it will be called will have a new APU like PS5 to PS5 Pro.

They won’t be called useless cause it’s Nintendo.

Sony releasing a new SKU is a betrayal according to a poster here.

Double standards.

Reactions: ethomaz

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Apparently, the source that article is using is someone who admittedly really doesn't like the PS5 and has been wrong for the past 3 years.

I’m shocked. I know it really doesn't matter, but development costs of what? Games? A smaller casing for the PS5? More efficient cooling?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The start-from-zero effect for each console cycle is clearly a big problem for publishers. Every new hardware generation has a "cross-gen" period (Madden 2005 had a PS1 release), but the last 2 were pretty extreme. The Playstation Pro approach doesn't solve the issue because Pro units are still pegged to a generation and don't sell as well as their OG. The Series S / Series X approach doesn't work either because they launch at the same time and neither one is the definitive performance target.

Publishers need a gradually improving performance window like a PC, but narrowed down tech variables like a console that can sell hundreds of millions. Any one unit should take a really long time to age out of game support (10+ years), but enthusiasts will probably want to upgrade every 2-4 years.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I'll believe the media isn't biased when we get inundated by articles openly calling Xbox out for being trash. Even the casual that I know that only play a little understand how much Xbox is lacking. Except for US and Mexico, Xbox is dead everywhere and for good reasons.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I’m shocked. I know it really doesn't matter, but development costs of what? Games? A smaller casing for the PS5? More efficient cooling?
I think the new approach is that it doesn't matter how badly Xbox gets outsold because of the arguments made in articles like this. According to this new narrative, even when PS is winning, they're actually losing.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
And it's funny how all last year during the ABK trial all they talked about was how Sony were too strong and too dominant in gaming and how MS should be allowed to buy everything under the sun for the sake of balance. Now the narrative is that Playstation is dying and won't make it to next gen. It's like Playstation changes forms for them based on whatever narrative they need to push at any given time. Simultaneously a monopoly and a failure depending on which lie they need to sell.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well hopefully advances in areas like AI help to reduce the time & manpower strain for asset generation. Ethically of course; yes some people are going to be forced out of their position or required to change their job types, but as long as it's in an acceptable range of a limit, I don't see the problem long-term.

Ultimately it'd lead to cheaper budgets and games getting done more quickly, both of which are things the AAA side of the market in particular needs to be sustainable.
As of now AI is requiring a lot of research and trial and error, testing different techniques and ways to train it. Other than the typical Chatgpt support for quick queries/assistant and image generation to make quicker placeholders as of now it requires more work than it solves.

But in the long term, once they find the proper techniques and way to train it, it will help to do way more -and more detailed- art assets with less people. But well, we're still are years away from this.

As of now it helps some coders and artists be more efficient and do faster a few things (like placeholders that they later replace, polish or improve), and use that saved time or doing other things they also have to do. Basically is helping them to do some things faster or better but still isn't shortening development times.

Yeah but would a full game like The Matrix demo run above 30 on the base PS5 (or Xbox, for that matter)? That's where a Pro comes in handy, assuming the bottleneck for > 30 on base would be the CPU, and the PS5 Pro has a better CPU (architecture, speed, cache, or a combination of those three).

And, there would be a market of people willing to get the Pro if it meant higher frames for such a game. Although that game, or at least enough of them, would need to be actual exclusives (no simultaneous PC release) because at least some cross-section of these people would be likely to get a higher-performant version on PC if that choice was there. But such a choice would be detrimental to the value proposition of the Pro model, if it were a Day 1 type of thing.
The Matrix demo already performed at 30 in a base PS5 at launch with the first version of UE5.

The demo or an equivalent game will end performing way faster -pretty likely 60fps- in a base PS5 thanks to the improvements and optimizations in UE5/similar engines and other potential areas where they can improve, as could be tweaking the kraken compression algorythm with newer versions or maybe their own DLSS take etc.

Traditionally each generations the UE5 demos ended being surpassed technically by the end of the generation, and I don't think this time will be an exception.

Yes, I think there will be hardcore fans who will pay for a Pro, but I think most people won't need/miss them. As happened with PS4 Pro. Or as is happening now with 70% of the PS userbase still in PS4 a few months ago.

Now the narrative is that Playstation is dying and won't make it to next gen.
I think not even the most lying hater of Bloomberg ever said that. PS is better than ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
As of now AI is requiring a lot of research and trial and error, testing different techniques and ways to train it. Other than the typical Chatgpt support for quick queries/assistant and image generation to make quicker placeholders as of now it requires more work than it solves.

But in the long term, once they find the proper techniques and way to train it, it will help to do way more -and more detailed- art assets with less people. But well, we're still are years away from this.

As of now it helps some coders and artists be more efficient and do faster a few things (like placeholders that they later replace, polish or improve), and use that saved time or doing other things they also have to do. Basically is helping them to do some things faster or better but still isn't shortening development times.

The Matrix demo already performed at 30 in a base PS5 at launch with the first version of UE5.

The demo or an equivalent game will end performing way faster -pretty likely 60fps- in a base PS5 thanks to the improvements and optimizations in UE5/similar engines and other potential areas where they can improve, as could be tweaking the kraken compression algorythm with newer versions or maybe their own DLSS take etc.

Traditionally each generations the UE5 demos ended being surpassed technically by the end of the generation, and I don't think this time will be an exception.

Yes, I think there will be hardcore fans who will pay for a Pro, but I think most people won't need/miss them. As happened with PS4 Pro. Or as is happening now with 70% of the PS userbase still in PS4 a few months ago.

I think not even the most lying hater of Bloomberg ever said that. PS is better than ever.
That particular narrative is most popular on resetera and Twitter.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The start-from-zero effect for each console cycle is clearly a big problem for publishers. Every new hardware generation has a "cross-gen" period (Madden 2005 had a PS1 release), but the last 2 were pretty extreme. The Playstation Pro approach doesn't solve the issue because Pro units are still pegged to a generation and don't sell as well as their OG. The Series S / Series X approach doesn't work either because they launch at the same time and neither one is the definitive performance target.

Publishers need a gradually improving performance window like a PC, but narrowed down tech variables like a console that can sell hundreds of millions. Any one unit should take a really long time to age out of game support (10+ years), but enthusiasts will probably want to upgrade every 2-4 years.
That makes absolutely 0 sense as PC typically sells the least software of any given AAA title

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm referring to the PS dying one.
Ah, that's only a bad joke. PS is better than ever and in the near future will be even better, because they are growing in all their current areas.

Plus they made many smart investments that will help them go beyond: like growing all their studios to help them work in more games at the same time, acquiring talented studios, making very smart deals to expand in the Asian mobile+PC market, the movies+tv show adaptations, PC ports etc.

They will not only continue growing their userbase and revenue, but also their profit. Not sure if they'll pass Nintendo in yearly profits this generation, but make sure it will be the case in the next one.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Another hit piece. I don't understand the logic here though. It looks like Playstation’s success at generating revenue is not enough to.... I don't know.. pay for something?

I saw this and decided not to post bcus it was so asanine lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi