Another Forbes article (Tassi the guy you love) A PS5 Pro Will Feel Extra Unnecessary This Time Around

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yet another 'concern' article about PS. With all these leaks going on, the one I'd really like to see is how many websites and "journalists" receive money and/or gifts from MS. Non-stop hype for Xbox and continual undermining of PS has become such an established pattern - it's easy to identify but proof would be great.

I do find it interesting that MS keeps engaging in this failed strategy - when losing, don't try to improve your product and strategy. Keep trying to undermine your competitor through astroturfing and targeted hit pieces. Given the way the series consoles and Game Pass are selling - this strategy hasn't been working for them for a long time now, but they just don't seem to know any other way than this and attempting to buy success via consolidation. Stuff like this is why I've gone from being somewhat neutral on Xbox to having no issue if they drop out of gaming entirely. They're a blight on this industry and have zero capacity to improve.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I do wonder what price it will be at. We've yet to really see post-Covid inflation in a console release period. It was bad enough that the base model saw a price increase (also partially caused byvthe chip shortage, IIRC) whats it going to look like if this comes at $550?

FWIW, Switch 2 has a similar issue where it probably doesn't want to cross $350 but is certainly going to have to.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Sony is basically competing with themselves at this point. Very reminiscent of SEGA after they gained leverage in the culture war against Nintendo but obviously not nearly as bad. It’ll just be interesting to see a new PlayStation iteration without the exclusive lineup the PS4 had when its Pro model shipped. Even if we said this is for PlayStation enthusiasts, how much better can the games they do have out look currently? How much better can they run?

I’ll be checking for it because I like being cutting edge but things are proceeding in a very interesting way currently.
If it's 60fps Vs 30 that's a huge difference just by itself. Same as if it's 120 Vs 60.

Reactions: BroodCorp

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I think this generation doesn't need a Pro console because:
  • AAA games take >5+ years to be done + most of the ones under development suffered the covid delay
  • We're maybe a handful years away to see AAA released games that were started having the specs/devkits of the next gen consoles since the start
  • We're maybe a handful years away to see AAA released games that were started having next gen engines capable to take full advantage of this gen hardware
  • Studios needed a few years to fully adapt themselves changing their pipeline to take advantage of next new technologies similar to Lumen or Nanite plus super fast streaming fro SSD
  • Majority of the console and PC players continue using previous gen hardware, so made sense for devs to continue supporting it
All that means that probably we won't see AAA games taking full advantage of current gen consoles until late 2025 or beyond, around a year after the supposed release of PS5 Pro.

Meaning, they'll take even full advantage of the PS5 Pro hardware and we'll see a quality spike around a year after its release in base PS5 hardware. As spike that will also appear around a couple years before the PS6 release.

On top of that, releasing a more powerful PS5 would mean to sell it for a more expensive price than the current one, which could be too expensive. And devs, specially multiplatform ones, already have to support a lot of SKUs and they'd prefer to have less, not more.

I'd skip the Pro.
Too expensive for who? This will be aimed at enthusiasts, and it will be worth it to them for state-of-the-art console tech.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Love to see these videos! Shorty legit reacted like it was the best present of his life and so so grateful for everything he was given before he even really saw what was in the box. They teaching him well.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Guys, new narrative just dropped 😂 Suddenly all of Phi's concubines at the same time, "PS5 Pro is a bad idea", "I don't get the point of a PS5 Pro", "there's no need for a PS5 Pro".

GC-nfJLWYAAWc4U
image.png
still waiting for that 40-50fps delta, clowneastwood

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its Forbes. Bloombergs in 2 weeks. Its like clockwork with the FUD and concern.

If you dont want to buy a PS5 Pro, STFU and dont buy it. Its makes zero difference to your life. There will be a small amount of PS fans who do want to buy it day 1. Ill be one of them

Heck going from 30-46fps for games like God Of War 2018 made a big difference for me

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Its Forbes. Bloombergs in 2 weeks. Its like clockwork with the FUD and concern.

If you dont want to buy a PS5 Pro, STFU and dont buy it. Its makes zero difference to your life. There will a small amount of PS fans who do want to buy it day 1. Ill be one of them

Heck going from 30-46fps for games like God Of War 2018 made a big difference for me
They always write articles I'm sure with a negative view as a foundation for Sony.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
GeForce RTX 4090 - $1599
GeForce RTX 4080 - $1199
GeForce RTX 4070 - $599

Those are just GPUs, yet the idea of a PS5 Pro seems absurd for some folks. Then those same people are going to criticize PS5 for not keeping up with PC, despite being released in 2020 for $399. Why is the bar for PlayStation hardware set so much higher than anything else?

All while garbage like the Series S is being sold by MS on Amazon for $379 is praised.

Screenshot-from-2024-01-05-09-13-42.png

mMSKdXk.gif

They should go all in on the PS5 Pro and make it double the price of the regular PS5 so these idiots would STFU.

Good thing that PS5 holds its value so you can sell your ps5 and get a pro.
Unlike the Series S.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
GeForce RTX 4090 - $1599
GeForce RTX 4080 - $1199
GeForce RTX 4070 - $599

Those are just GPUs, yet the idea of a PS5 Pro seems absurd for some folks. Then those same people are going to criticize PS5 for not keeping up with PC, despite being released in 2020 for $399. Why is the bar for PlayStation hardware set so much higher than anything else?

All while garbage like the Series S is being sold by MS on Amazon for $379 is praised.

Screenshot-from-2024-01-05-09-13-42.png

mMSKdXk.gif

They should go all in on the PS5 Pro and make it double the price of the regular PS5 so these idiots would STFU.

Unlike the Series S.

According to a poster here this isn’t the same as PS5/PS5 pro.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I do wonder what price it will be at. We've yet to really see post-Covid inflation in a console release period. It was bad enough that the base model saw a price increase (also partially caused byvthe chip shortage, IIRC) whats it going to look like if this comes at $550?

FWIW, Switch 2 has a similar issue where it probably doesn't want to cross $350 but is certainly going to have to.

Definitely won’t be 600 dollars.

My guess is the base PS5 will get a price drop and the Pro will be 500 dollars/pounds.

It is still a year away.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Definitely won’t be 600 dollars.

My guess is the base PS5 will get a price drop and the Pro will be 500 dollars/pounds.

It is still a year away.
Yeah I can see it being $550, with the OG PS5 getting a permanent price-cut.

24 Jun 2022
The issue of needing more time each new generation is proportional to solving hardware bottlenecks. As long each generation the games allow more detailed assets and lighting it takes more work to make each thing. Plus the games make longer and allow more dense worlds there are more things to make. So yes, they required bigger manpower/budget/development times.

This particular generation they broke different bottlenecks with the SSDs and I/O, so have

Well hopefully advances in areas like AI help to reduce the time & manpower strain for asset generation. Ethically of course; yes some people are going to be forced out of their position or required to change their job types, but as long as it's in an acceptable range of a limit, I don't see the problem long-term.

Ultimately it'd lead to cheaper budgets and games getting done more quickly, both of which are things the AAA side of the market in particular needs to be sustainable.

Doesn't negate them, I just say that soon after the supposed releases of the Pro consoles we'll already get a very noticiable quality spike in the base consoles you won't need a Pro one.

If you start getting games that look like The Matrix demo you won't miss them.

Yeah but would a full game like The Matrix demo run above 30 on the base PS5 (or Xbox, for that matter)? That's where a Pro comes in handy, assuming the bottleneck for > 30 on base would be the CPU, and the PS5 Pro has a better CPU (architecture, speed, cache, or a combination of those three).

And, there would be a market of people willing to get the Pro if it meant higher frames for such a game. Although that game, or at least enough of them, would need to be actual exclusives (no simultaneous PC release) because at least some cross-section of these people would be likely to get a higher-performant version on PC if that choice was there. But such a choice would be detrimental to the value proposition of the Pro model, if it were a Day 1 type of thing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not the point. Honestly it sounds ridiculous coming from a PC gamer if I recall correctly.

If Nvidia release the 5000 series GPUs tomorrow there will be people lining up to buy them. It doesn’t make the 4000 series useless.

Are you telling me the Switch and Switch Lite are useless now with the OLED version. All 3 versions are being sold simultaneously.

Same with the Steamdeck.

It is called having options.

All this is just copium from the Xbox crowd.

Xbox fans are seething cause no Xbox Mid life upgrade is announced. Which they won’t get cause they already have 2 SKUs.
I’m telling you right now that Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED will be obsolete and imo useless after the release of Switch 2.

Switch OLED, Switch Lite and Switch are all the same… same APU.

Switch 2 or how it will be called will have a new APU like PS5 to PS5 Pro.