Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So those are the largest staff lists of all time?
It's just a random list of recent and biggest Sony, Ubisoft, MS games plus GTA and some random recent AAA games.

I assume it should feature the games with the largest headcount and budget but not sure, made the list of games from memory -so I may be missing important ones- and then added the Moby Games data.

It was just to see by comparision the amount of people who worked on Concord is bigger than most recent AAA games, which could imply a higher cost, specially those whose budget is public. But didn't.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Colin is a jabroni clickbait artist.

This has been denied by the more credible.

I’m sure it was expensive but it no way should launching a PvP game be more expensive to make than a single player narrative driven game.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Colin is a jabroni clickbait artist.

This has been denied by the more credible.

I’m sure it was expensive but it no way should launching a PvP game be more expensive to make than a single player narrative driven game.
Nothing is debunked. I need to know how much Sony spent on
  • Acquiring Firewalk from ProbablyMonsters
  • Finishing development
  • Marketing
  • Refunding all copies after Concord was pulled
Saying it's not 400 million and refusing to elaborate any further isn't good enough for me.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
  • Finishing development
  • Marketing
Saying it's not 400 million and refusing to elaborate any further isn't good enough for me.

We don’t need to know anything. 400 million for acquisition and finishing development maybe… maybe if you include projected cost for further development.

Didn’t that clown state he thinks it’s only for the game?

Debunked is not denied. If more trustworthy talking heads say these numbers are a “laughing stock” when it already seems outrageous … probably is nonsense. Both Tom Henderson and Kotaku have claimed BS.

It’s a bare bones PvP game. It’s very difficulty to imagine it costing as much as Ragnarok or tlou2

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
It is just list, unless someone can demonstrate it with hours worked.
2000 people who worked on Concord could clock more hours then f.exp on Far Cry 6 or Skull and Bones. Used more expensive tools and so on..it can easily be more expensive than those games.
There is plenty of "what if"..
No, it can't.

PlayStation wouldn't allocate more money to a higher risk, new IP than all other AAA single player games in history. It's preposterous believing they would.

Firewalk was 160 devs and they only worked on it about 5 years. That's not a 400 million dollar game.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
No, it can't.

PlayStation wouldn't allocate more money to a higher risk, new IP than all other AAA single player games in history. It's preposterous believing they would.

Firewalk was 160 devs and they only worked on it about 5 years. That's not a 400 million dollar game.
Demonstrate it then. Gonna prepare my popcorns.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
  • Finishing development
  • Marketing
I think the most reasonable is around $200M for the whole development since start to release and the first few months of post launch (season 1) including marketing and everything.

No extra loses from refunding since the cost paid is the revenue previously earned.

And then the other $200M could be an amount never spent, which would have been the budget for server costs and post launch development for up to 10 years after launch, paid season by season as long as the game performance would have made it worth it. But since the game tanked they didn't spend anything of this.

Another option would be that he -or his source if it exists- didn't understood it properly and the extra $200M was to buy the studio.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I just don't see how this studio still cost 200 million but maybe we'll find out more stuff next March.

Reactions: Sircaw

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Smaller teams, with less outsourcing, and shorter dev times are cheaper to make.
It is just list, unless someone can demonstrate it with hours worked.
2000 people who worked on Concord could clock more hours then f.exp on Far Cry 6 or Skull and Bones. Used more expensive tools and so on..it can easily be more expensive than those games.
There is plenty of "what if"..

Here you have a team size comparision including support and outsourcing.

As reference the lead dev team of Firewalk were around 150-165 people of that on their peak, pretty similar -or smaller- compared to the lead dev teams of most of the games of the list.

They have been working 8 years on it, but some years (I don't remember the exact number, a dev mentioned it) being a small team of as I remember of a couple dozen or so.

As engine they did use UE5 and the cinematics were made by other team, I don't think they invested -or needed- a ton of money or time engine and tools to make a hero shooter.

Last edited: