Apparently Concord Cost Sony 400 million and was internally championed as future of playstation

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Like maybe the long term plan was to spend 400 million in terms of content and cinematics, animation etc in the future. But to suggest it cost 400 million to develop this game🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
No way that has cost 400 million.

People are inflating the number now by a mile.

Was it a disaster yer but this is getting beyond ridiculous now.
I believe its 200 from Probably monsters + 200 from Sony, Most of the studio is made up of bungie veterans so high 6 figure compensation, the studio is in bellevue of all places. The catered lunches with avocado toasts and exotic juice bars + DEI training the costs add up.

One other thing is the burger reveal trailer, Colin stated that the rushed out the game to a playable state with external contractors in the last 18 months. No wonder we only got that burger reveal.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Bro they released a controller, had animated shows on amazon lined up. They even acquired the studio before game was launched. This lines up with him stating that Sony thought about Concord as their own star wars, This explains the nickle and diming of ps plus and the stands as well, They even cancelled factions 2
Really makes you wonder what was cancelled so this could be a priority? I have 0 confidence in playstation leadership picking and choosing what to greenlight and who to partner with. Waste of a generation. Whoever pushed for this GAAS nonesense needs to be fired.

Reactions: toadsage44

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I believe its 200 from Probably monsters + 200 from Sony, Most of the studio is made up of bungie veterans so high 6 figure compensation, the studio is in bellevue of all places. The catered lunches with avocado toasts and exotic juice bars + DEI training the costs add up.

One other thing is the burger reveal trailer, Colin stated that the rushed out the game to a playable state with external contractors in the last 18 months. No wonder we only got that burger reveal.

I doubt Probably Monsters spent that much.

Firewalk acquisition probably cost 150 million.

250 million for the game development.

According to the video this doesn’t include acquisition cost.

Which is why this is bullshit.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Well if the numbers are true which I doubt you can bet Sony’s gamble on GaaS is over.

No way Sony Corp will continue bankrolling these duds for Hermen and Co.
yeah for sure. that aint no ordinary loss.

I expect them to take the Microsoft route and just buy something that already cashes in.

Reactions: Luffy123
OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I doubt Probably Monsters spent that much.

Firewalk acquisition probably cost 150 million.

250 million for the game development.

According to the video this doesn’t include acquisition cost.

Which is why this is bullshit.
iirc probably monsters raised 265 million for making their games, in the meantime they shuttered one of their 3 studios and by the time Sony bought firewalk were having financial troubles. Concord seems like a money pit right from its inception.

I too dont want the 400 million number to be real because if it is then it is catastrophic for playstation, but the swift response from Sony after launch and the tv shows and accessories are pointing towards the opposite

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
yeah for sure. that aint no ordinary loss.

I expect them to take the Microsoft route and just buy something that already cashes in.

How it always should have been.

Or use already established IPs and get dedicated GaaS developers to make the games like NetEase.

The current route has been a disaster.

Buying new studios with a new IP and even getting your Single Player studios to develop them.

The result has been Concord has failed and studios like Naughty Dog have yet to release a game this gen.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This is way beyond just being in a bubble, this is straight up living in a complete delusion. And they still got like 3-5 more games in the making that are just like Concord. They never going to financially recover from this.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
400 million is dubious, even $200 million is exaggerated for such a game, and it's unlikely that Sony would have put out $400 million to kill the game 15 days after its release, it doesn't make sense to me.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
But aside from this story the main reason i hate hulst is the lazy remake and remaster that keeps coming up

I dont want to hear the last of us 2 horizon forviden west or gow ragnarok remaster for ps6

Cause the man is obsessed with his creation. Surprised he hasn’t changed the name of the console to HorizonStation.

The remasters and remakes are coming cause this idiot got all his major studios to develop GaaS games.

Those have been cancelled and now they are behind schedule in the single player games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Airbus
OP
OP
quest4441

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
People are forgetting the streamers sponsored for playing the games. Shroud and Cohh cost a pretty penny, they charge 100+ grand for 1-2 hr session, Concord had multiple streamers doing sponsored streams for 10+ days that alone must have cost 20-30 million. The costs add up, this is just sad 😥

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44 and voke

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
People are forgetting the streamers sponsored for playing the games. Shroud and Cohh cost a pretty penny, they charge 100+ grand for 1-2 hr session, Concord had multiple streamers doing sponsored streams for 10+ days that alone must have cost 20-30 million. The costs add up, this is just sad 😥

Seriously?

It costs that much?

Reactions: Evilms

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
But aside from this story the main reason i hate hulst is the lazy remake and remaster that keeps coming up

I dont want to hear the last of us 2 horizon forbbiden west or gow ragnarok remaster for ps6
I think people put too much focus onto them. they usually have a low headcount and likely don't eat up resources from other titles. If we didn't get them, NDs next game still wouldn't be ready, so why not take a small team to do a PS5 port to fill the gap? Sure, redundant for players who already experienced them.. but its a good thing for those that didn't.

Reactions: Airbus

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
$400M? Why didn't he say $400B? I call this bullshit.

Some of the other things he mention sounds like whoever told him these things never had worked in a AAA / GaaS game before, or he didn't understood properly the things he was told:
  • The idea of GaaS is that they release a MVP (minimum viable product) and then to keep building on top little by little, with the idea of saving money in case the project doesn't work and they shut it down, before they spent the rest developing the rest of the project
  • A year and a half before release yes, AAA normally look like shit, a ton of things are half done, there's a lot of bugs and broken things etc. It doesn't mean the project is in a bad shape
  • To have a lot of outsourcing is normal in AAA development, and it is normally started to be pumped in the milestone before alpha, before it there's a smaller team working in the game, mainly the lead dev studio
  • I highly doubt the $400M thing, it makes more sense to think the budget was $200M to release the game (PR & marketing campaign included). And then maybe additional $200M saved for potential post launch costs in servers + development + marketing during whatever it could last lasted if it would have became top tier success (let's say 5+ years after launch). That would match the "Sony wanted to spend that amount again" thing
  • Regarding folks believing the IP had a lot of potential, it's normal for devs who work in the game (it's their "child"), but big companies are traditionally very skeptical even when the project looks great, so even more when as he said "looks like shit" during development. I think it's totally fake that Sony would considering it as "Sony's Star Wars"
  • Regarding considering the game part of Sony's next big thing that could make more sense, if instead of only this game they meant Sony's expansion to MP, GaaS and PC. All that package with Destiny 2, Helldivers 2, GT7, MLB, the PC ports plus the future stuff and so on yes, considering the extra money Sony will be making after all these projecte yes, in general SIE will have grow a ton even despite Concord's failure
  • Regarding the "toxic positivity", it's clear that something like that must have happened there because I can't see how Sony and people who worked in Destiny, IP and CoD released these awful character designs on a hero shooter. It's the only explanation, because in normal conditions many people would have pointed out the issue and raised flags, and the issue would have been addressed.
You draw mobile game art at a support studio.