Apple outplays Microsoft and closes the door on their mobile gaming app ambitions

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Ironic how the 2 biggest moneymaker in the U.S are now butting heads on this. Phil was talking how Apple was going to be their biggest competitor and Apple took the lead and did this. It sucks the situation can affect other potential platforms but someone needed to put the brakes on them at some point. Atleast Apples playing it safe so they must've been following the whole ABK back dealings in getting that pushed through. Just sucks it for corporate "GREED" and not for right reasons. Makes me wonder if this will eventually turn into.a titan court battle.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't own a single Apple product right now and don't feel like I'm forced to, they just don't bother me at all, unlike MS. Apple TV+ is pretty for what it is to.

Xbox sucks, but MS as a whole sucks even more, garbage software, corrupt, acquiring everything and turning it into shit everywhere.

On another matter, I wish Apple would drop an unholy amount of cash to destroy/replace Epic, Unreal and Fortnite to make them pay for starting this shit.

True, you don't build an install base with 1 or 2 big games, as you say it has become harder to switch.

However, some people will pick your console if you have them, then if these really good games keep coming a couple of times per year more people will buy in and things will pickup.

This is not like they had done this for 10 years now, they have done nothing to get a true gamer's attention (they have focused only on services and business models). Their best games are Ori and that cartoon run and gun game... Nice but hardly system selling arguments, especially when they are years a part.

That doesn't work when Sony and Nintendo have their games dropping left and right all the time and all your AAA games are mildly good in the best of times (Gears 5 was OK it seems)... And disastrous most of the time.

This is all excuses made up by incompetent executives, Phil killed Xbox when he cancelled that dragon game on the xbone. This is the day Xbox died as a viable gaming platform.
They only care about magically becoming the market leader in a short time span, that is why their plans are always retarded. They are like Dick Dastardly, they have all the resources to win the race if they only focused on their own thing but they are so concerned with trying to sabotage everyone else and coming up with wacky strategies that they always lose. They have been doing it for about 20 years at this point.

Last edited:

Deto

1 Jul 2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony will sell their mobile games on the App store like they do on Steam. Why would they have their own mobile store?
For the same reason people like Epic or Microsoft want to have their own mobile store, or for the same reason Epic, Valve, Ubi, EA, CD Projekt or Riot have their own PC stores: to don't pay to the platform holder 30% of the revenue of the games and addons they sell there.

Sony is working on multiple mobile games, most of them outsourced to external mobile gaming companies, to bring some of their IPs to mobile. Plus plan to support mobile local teams from different strategical regions. Plus they'll release their cloud gaming client on mobile.

If they can do it at least partially skipping the payments to the platform holders would be a way better business for them.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

You Got This GIF by Team Coco

Reactions: Deto

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
For the same reason people like Epic or Microsoft want to have their own mobile store, or for the same reason Epic, Valve, Ubi, EA, CD Projekt or Riot have their own PC stores: to don't pay to the platform holder 30% of the revenue of the games and addons they sell there.
But Sony does have ther own store it's called PSN. Microsoft have thier own store too but are unable to drive traffic to it on PC, unable to sell a lot of consoles, and sold off their mobile division which had it's own mobile store. Let's not pretend Microsoft didn't try to compete and fell flat on their ass and now want to lobby the government to force their store onto competing platforms. They can fuck right off.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The timing of this is also interesting to me. It was announced on the day before Microsoft’s quarterly investor meeting and they may ask questions about their new 70 billion dollar purchase for a failing division. Instead of having all the planned out growth charts, the gaming division now has to explain that the plans for the mobile store also are not working out as planned.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't own a single Apple product right now and don't feel like I'm forced to, they just don't bother me at all, unlike MS. Apple TV+ is pretty for what it is to.
Me either, I can't bring myself to buy something this closed as a customer. I try them from time to time, but I always get worried about what will happen if it breaks... I get frustrated with the inability to repair or upgrade (even when I have no intention to do either in the short run).

However, I respect them from afar, they made modern desktop computers a reality, same for modern smart phones and tablets.
They only care about magically becoming the market leader in a short time span, that is why their plans are always retarded. They are like Dick Dastardly, they have all the resources to win the race if they only focused on their own thing but they are so concerned with trying to sabotage everyone else and coming up with wacky strategies that they always lose. They have been doing it for about 20 years at this point.
Yup, magic seems to be their "strategy".

Sony is working on multiple mobile games, most of them outsourced to external mobile gaming companies, to bring some of their IPs to mobile. Plus plan to support mobile local teams from different strategical regions. Plus they'll release their cloud gaming client on mobile.

If they can do it at least partially skipping the payments to the platform holders would be a way better business for them.
I can see the kids going through the motions to get their fortnite fix... As they do in Android? Or they just wanted to fight with Apple? Anyway, it's possible on Android. Gosh, even Samsung has their own crappy store when you buy their phone. I just doesn't matter much.

MS on the other hand, when they had their phones and store they couldn't manage to get the good apps on there without bribing the devs... Even then. So now, instead of doubling down on the windows phones back in 2016 they are attempting to get in by the side with gaming where they spent the $100 billion that may have made them relevant in the phone space.

So, having their lame store on iPhone will not do anything, Gamepass doesn't have the pull, their games don't have the pull. This is all a waste of time and resources for them.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
This is what happens when your 70 billion dollar acquisition depends on others letting you parasite off of them and it doesn’t work out.

God what a shit show. Spotify dude saying Apple should innovate lol, motherfucker and how exactly is Spotify innovating anything? Leeching off artists who barely make any money on Spotify, but hey here’s 100 million to Joe Rogan so he can move his podcast there. Fuck off.

And Sarah Bond lol, #1 shady Silicon Valley megacorp employee of the fucking month. These people have no self awareness.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
But Sony does have ther own store it's called PSN. Microsoft have thier own store too but are unable to drive traffic to it on PC, unable to sell a lot of consoles, and sold off their mobile division which had it's own mobile store. Let's not pretend Microsoft didn't try to compete and fell flat on their ass and now want to lobby the government to force their store onto competing platforms. They can fuck right off.
correct. the percentage covers a bunch of things, but one is a price on customer access. there's a reason why publishers are coming back to Steam after wasting 10 years building their own shitty storefronts. gamers smartly rejected them. the PC audience is on Steam, and that's where you need to be as a PC publisher.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
MS is stupid when it comes to hardware. Imagine you spent nearly 10 years bad mouthing apple for making a phone without a physical keyboard. Then turn around almost a decade after the og iphone and bought nokia and split their hardware department in 2. One make a phone with a keyboard and the other makes an iphone clone. Have both divisions compete internally against each other and then launch both of their finished product months apart🙄🙄🙄🙄
MS is right for staying out of the hw space, they dont have the management or engineering talent for it.

Reactions: Deto

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is wild anticompetitive behavior by Apple also. Totally contravening the ruling of state regulators and acting above the law. Somehow calling that "outplaying" when it's regular people getting played.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I should be allowed to open a store inside Steam and not give valve anything, right? Valve just abused their position.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I should be allowed to open a store inside Steam and not give valve anything, right? Valve just abused their position.
But you can? When I play Crusader Kings 3 I open the paradox launcher, and I can buy DLC there instead of steam afaik.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But you can? When I play Crusader Kings 3 I open the paradox launcher, and I can buy DLC there instead of steam afaik.
Publisher are stupid for paying Steam fees to sell their games if it's just optional.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Publisher are stupid for paying Steam fees to sell their games if it's just optional.

No, they just offer a choice. I'd rather buy all my stuff through steam, for example, but Paradox have offered me DLC via the portal. They know steam is convenient, has Workshop integration, etc.

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No, they just offer a choice. I'd rather buy all my stuff through steam, for example, but Paradox have offered me DLC via the portal. They know steam is convenient, has Workshop integration, etc.
So you think it isn't right that MS can't open a store inside PlayStation and sell Xbox game without paying Sony anything?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So you think it isn't right that MS can't open a store inside PlayStation and sell Xbox game without paying Sony anything?

That's a disingenuous question to begin with, because you're trying to compare Apples to Umbrellas. Smartphones are necessary appliances in the western world. Depending on where you are, you need them to do your banking, have your boarding pass for a flight, check the status of a job application, etc. One of my bank accounts requires a smartphone to access it, for example. Consoles are entirely optional and do not have a material impact in some of our most basic needs.

• they're_right_you_know