Apple Vision Pro Review Thread and |OT|. Releases in the US on 2/2. Has sold 200,000. |UP| Has cut sales forecasts.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
*Will update as reviews drop. Reviews are set to drop later today

1704724127001.png

Apple Vision Pro is an upcoming mixed reality headset developed by Apple Inc. It was announced on June 5, 2023, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, to launch early 2024 in the United States and later that year internationally. It is Apple's first new major product category since the Apple Watch in 2015.

Apple Vision Pro headset and its battery pack
DeveloperApple Inc.
ManufacturerLuxshare
TypeStandalone mixed reality headset
Release dateEarly 2024 in the United States
Introductory priceUS$3,499
Operating systemvisionOS (iOS-based[1])
CPUApple M2 and R1
DisplayInternal: ~23 MP total (equivalent to WUHD for each eye) dual micro-OLED (RGBB π subpixel geometry) up to 96 Hz refresh rate[2]
External: "EyeSight" curved OLED[3]
Graphics
SoundSurround sound speakers, 6 microphones[5]
Input6DoF inside-out tracking, photogrammetry, and gesture recognition through 12 built-in cameras and lidar
Websiteapple.com/apple-vision-pro

Key Details:

Apple announces Vision Pro availability starting February 2 in U.S. stores and online.

Vision Pro, a spatial computer, redefines work, collaboration, and entertainment with a blend of digital and physical worlds.

Features intuitive control through eyes, hands, and voice with visionOS.

Over 1 million compatible iOS and iPadOS apps available, plus unique spatial computing experiences.

Pre-orders begin on January 19 at 5 a.m. PST.Context/Background:Apple Vision Pro marks a significant leap into spatial computing, integrating advanced technologies from macOS, iOS, and iPadOS into visionOS, creating an immersive three-dimensional user interface.Why This Matters:

Vision Pro's groundbreaking interface could redefine user interaction with technology, impacting various sectors, including work, entertainment, and social connection.

Its compatibility with over a million apps positions it as a versatile tool for both personal and professional use.Market Insights

Apple's entry into spatial computing could spur innovation and competition in the tech industry, potentially setting new standards for user interfaces and app interactions.Expert Statement:
Tim Cook, Apple's CEO: "Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced consumer electronics device ever created, changing how we connect, create, and explore."Impact & Recommendations:
Apple's Vision Pro could significantly influence the future of personal computing and virtual collaboration.

Recommendations: Monitor the adoption rate of Vision Pro and its influence on Apple's market position.

Stay updated for more insights and don’t miss out on the pre-order opening on January 19.

Update 1/30/24

URL unfurl="true"]https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/29/apple-vision-pro-headset-sales/[/URL]

Apple has sold upwards of 200,000 Vision Pro headsets, MacRumors has learned from a source with knowledge of Apple's sales numbers. Apple began accepting pre-orders for the Vision Pro on January 19, so the headset has been available for purchase in the U.S. for 10 days.

Impressions:

Reviews:

Apple Vision Pro Review: A Mind-Blowing Look at an Unfinished Future​

Apple Vision Pro review roundup: Here’s what experts are saying​

These are the Apple Vision Pro videos you can check out right now:

From the Verge Review:

THE GOOD​

• Display is a technical marvel with the best video passthrough yet
  • Hand and eye tracking are a leap forward
  • Works seamlessly with Apple’s ecosystem
  • Fun to put windows all over space

THE BAD​

• Very expensive
  • Video passthrough is still video passthrough and can be blurry
  • Hand and eye tracking can be inconsistent and frustrating
  • Personas are uncanny and somewhat terrifying
  • It’s pretty lonely in there

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
View attachment 3546

Apple Vision Pro is an upcoming mixed reality headset developed by Apple Inc. It was announced on June 5, 2023, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, to launch early 2024 in the United States and later that year internationally. It is Apple's first new major product category since the Apple Watch in 2015.

Apple Vision Pro headset and its battery pack
DeveloperApple Inc.
ManufacturerLuxshare
TypeStandalone mixed reality headset
Release dateEarly 2024 in the United States
Introductory priceUS$3,499
Operating systemvisionOS (iOS-based[1])
CPUApple M2 and R1
DisplayInternal: ~23 MP total (equivalent to WUHD for each eye) dual micro-OLED (RGBB π subpixel geometry) up to 96 Hz refresh rate[2]
External: "EyeSight" curved OLED[3]
Graphics
SoundSurround sound speakers, 6 microphones[5]
Input6DoF inside-out tracking, photogrammetry, and gesture recognition through 12 built-in cameras and lidar
Websiteapple.com/apple-vision-pro

Key Details:

Apple announces Vision Pro availability starting February 2 in U.S. stores and online.

Vision Pro, a spatial computer, redefines work, collaboration, and entertainment with a blend of digital and physical worlds.

Features intuitive control through eyes, hands, and voice with visionOS.

Over 1 million compatible iOS and iPadOS apps available, plus unique spatial computing experiences.

Pre-orders begin on January 19 at 5 a.m. PST.Context/Background:Apple Vision Pro marks a significant leap into spatial computing, integrating advanced technologies from macOS, iOS, and iPadOS into visionOS, creating an immersive three-dimensional user interface.Why This Matters:

Vision Pro's groundbreaking interface could redefine user interaction with technology, impacting various sectors, including work, entertainment, and social connection.

Its compatibility with over a million apps positions it as a versatile tool for both personal and professional use.Market Insights

Apple's entry into spatial computing could spur innovation and competition in the tech industry, potentially setting new standards for user interfaces and app interactions.Expert Statement:
Tim Cook, Apple's CEO: "Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced consumer electronics device ever created, changing how we connect, create, and explore."Impact & Recommendations:
Apple's Vision Pro could significantly influence the future of personal computing and virtual collaboration.

Recommendations: Monitor the adoption rate of Vision Pro and its influence on Apple's market position.

Stay updated for more insights and don’t miss out on the pre-order opening on January 19.

This is going to be crazy to bad too expensive!

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Apple Vision Pro available in the U.S. on February 2, starting at $3,499. The era of spatial computing is here — pre-orders begin Friday, January 19

Will you be getting one? I'm on the fence.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
How many suckers will be queuing up for this I wonder. Instagram is going to be filled with non-techy people showing theirs off lol.

Reactions: Zzero

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Men it is beautiful.

And this is fantastic.
You can see the eyes of the person.

Apple-Vision-Pro-availability-lifestyle-EyeSight_big.jpg.large.jpg

Apple-Vision-Pro-availability-hero_big.jpg.large.jpg

And people thinks this is ok?

Destaque-Meta-Quest-3.jpg

images

Sony, Meta, etc needs to learn how to design a good looking device with Apple.
Took Apple few seconds to me hate the design of others VR devices.

Sometimes I think others VR companies needs to understand that the market is with normal persons and not nerds that like to wear these ugly things.

Last edited:
  • noneofmybizz
Reactions: Deleted member 1154

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
How many suckers will be queuing up for this I wonder. Instagram is going to be filled with non-techy people showing theirs off lol.
They aint suckers 😂 the future is now old man. This is going to revolutionize the world just like the first iPhone did!

Men it is beautiful.

And this is fantastic.
You can see the eyes of the person.

Apple-Vision-Pro-availability-lifestyle-EyeSight_big.jpg.large.jpg

And people thinks this is ok?

Destaque-Meta-Quest-3.jpg

images

Sony, Meta, etc needs to learn how to design a good looking device with Apple.
The Vision Pro does look great but I still think the PSVR2 looks better. They all have completely different use cases, and the Apple one costs 7x more than a PSVR2 and Quest 2 lol.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Vision Pro does look great but I still think the PSVR2 looks better. They all have completely different use cases, and the Apple one costs 7x more than a PSVR2 and Quest 2 lol.
The fact it looks like a normal glasses where you can see the eyes of the person is already a big plus in the good looking thing.
PSVR2 is probably more capable but it looks way off when you wear it.

psvr-2-hands-on-5-1021x580.jpg

Aesthetics and design matters a lot.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Deleted member 1154

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The fact it looks like a normal glasses where you can see the eyes of the person is already a big plus in the good looking thing.
PSVR2 is probably more capable but it looks way off when you wear it.

Aesthetics and design matters a lot.
Maybe I'm just too used to the PSVR2, but it doesn't look "off" to me at all. If anything the AVP looks more off, seeing someones eyes like that is unnatural, zoomed in and googly. Not bad, just weird. I just wish the AVP had more of a focus on gaming, but it sadly won't, just Apple Arcade games in flatscreen but no dedicated VR/AR experiences. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to reviews and will be picking one up eventually, maybe end of the year.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
They aint suckers 😂 the future is now old man. This is going to revolutionize the world just like the first iPhone did!

Hey I'm still in my thirties!

The price is outrageous. I know MKBHD and the like will get their collective cocks out for it, but the price on this will come down significantly over the next few years while the tech gets better.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Hey I'm still in my thirties!

The price is outrageous. I know MKBHD and the like will get their collective cocks out for it, but the price on this will come down significantly over the next few years while the tech gets better.
It's not really outrageous since there's nothing else on the market to compare it to. And we don't know what it's fully capable of just yet, let's wait and see. But the RND costs and efforts alone kind of justify the price tag, 10 years and over 30 billion dollars went into making it.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
If apple think their brand is so strong they can drop a 35 hundred reality glasses they smoking some crazy ass cali kush. This is gonna be their biggest failure. Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave, this is not what Apple is about.
And im a big apple fan, but fuck that.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If apple think their brand is so strong they can drop a 35 hundred reality glasses they smoking some crazy ass cali kush.
….objectively the richest and most successful company on that planet. Apple is the king of both consumer hardware and software, so yes their brand IS that strong.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
It's not really outrageous since there's nothing else on the market to compare it to. And we don't know what it's fully capable of just yet, let's wait and see. But the RND costs and efforts alone kind of justify the price tag, 10 years and over 30 billion dollars went into making it.
Hmm...$3,500 for a luxury consumer device. Regardless of the specs it's well outside the affordability of most people. Also I'm not being funny but apple has a history of overcharging for their products - I've seen R&D costs of $100bn quoted on one website. Whatever the true figure is apple will be making a significant margin when considering the BoM.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Hmm...$3,500 for a luxury consumer device. Regardless of the specs it's well outside the affordability of most people. Also I'm not being funny but apple has a history of overcharging for their products - I've seen R&D costs of $100bn quoted on one website. Whatever the true figure is apple will be making a significant margin when considering the BoM.
it wasn't made for most people, thats why it has "Pro" in the tagline. Like the MacBook Pro isn't for the average consumer, they'll be fine with a MacBook Air, and the iPhone 15 Pro isn't necessary for the average consumer easy, they'll be more than fine with an iPhone 15. Pro products are for power users, enthusiasts, or people who just have enough money to not care if they never use the "pro" features.

I'm sure a regular Apple Vision non Pro headset will release in the future with a much lower cost of entry.

Reactions: ethomaz

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
it wasn't made for most people, thats why it has "Pro" in the tagline. Like the MacBook Pro isn't for the average consumer, they'll be fine with a MacBook Air, and the iPhone 15 Pro isn't necessary for the average consumer easy, they'll be more than fine with an iPhone 15. Pro products are for power users, enthusiasts, or people who just have enough money to not care if they never use the "pro" features.

I'm sure a regular Apple Vision non Pro headset will release in the future with a much lower cost of entry.
I'm a professional software developer. My company gave me a Macbook Pro to do my professional work on. What kind of professional is addressed in the "Vision Pro" tag?

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

That's fine but competitors will release their versions soon and we'll see a different pricing strategy.

MacBook are ridiculously expensive for what they offer compared to a PC for example. But apple has the fanbase that they can take advantage of.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm a professional software developer. My company gave me a Macbook Pro to do my professional work on. What kind of professional is addressed in the "Vision Pro" tag?
Brand new fields we didn't even think possible! Maybe something to do with spacial videography, that's just 1 in a billion possibilities. The AVP is gonna change a lot, especially how we consume media.

That's fine but competitors will release their versions soon and we'll see a different pricing strategy.

MacBook are ridiculously expensive for what they offer compared to a PC for example. But apple has the fanbase that they can take advantage of.
This is outdated information, since the release of Apple Silicon custom chips, Apple products are BY FAR the best bang for buck computers in the industry, like it's not even remotely close. I would never recommend anyone to buy a Windows laptop ever again. Even with base models having "only" 8GB of RAM, that 8gb will take you much further than 32gb of ram will on a similarly priced Windows laptop.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Brand new fields we didn't even think possible! Maybe something to do with spacial videography, that's just 1 in a billion possibilities. The AVP is gonna change a lot, especially how we consume media.
Maybe this is true! I even kinda hope it's true. But I think Apple should either be doing pre-release grade devkits like a console to build out some ecosystem of software support, or coming in more like $1500, prosumer level cost to reach a bigger audience early. Going with a $3500 "Pro" model for XR professionals that don't exist yet kinda tells the tale. It's not that dissimilar from how Google rolled out the insanely overpriced, Google Glass. The main differences having to do with Apple's established niche in premium consumer electronics.

Another thing I saw today is that LG has achieved a breakthrough in transparent OLED displays. So Apple's bizarre 'solution' of displaying an externally-facing 3D scan of your face to other people might be a big miscalculation.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

This is outdated information, since the release of Apple Silicon custom chips, Apple products are BY FAR the best bang for buck computers in the industry, like it's not even remotely close. I would never recommend anyone to buy a Windows laptop ever again. Even with base models having "only" 8GB of RAM, that 8gb will take you much further than 32gb of ram will on a similarly priced Windows laptop.
I don't own a Windows laptop, but there's no way an iMac is worth the ridiculous premium over a desktop PC. And a M3 chip MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM is £1,700. I'm not sure how that's taking you further than a £1,700 laptop in real- life use.

You're obviously a big apple fan, but surely you don't think apple tax is a myth?

Has a stand been announced or this thing? I'm betting on $500 for a non-rechargeable stand, maybe $1200 if it charges lol.