Are Turn-Based Purists The "Boomers" Of Gaming?

are gamers who think turn-based combat is superior the equivalent of boomers in gaming?

• yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • no I am a Boomer

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Specifically, people who want long-running franchises to "go back to the way they were" 20+ years ago are boomers.

Resident Evil also has its own share of these people. They think RE isn't RE unless it has tank controls and static camera angles. They resent RE4 for leading the charge in shifting away from those things, and hate the 2-4 remakes strictly on the basis of not having those, either.

Doom also has these purists. They're the ones who said Eternal wasn't a real Doom because it dared to put emphasis on movement and dared to have platforming sections. Some also complained about a lack of pickups and needing to create your own opportunity for picks up via Flame Belch, Grenades, etc.

Franchise purists are arguably the most insufferable subgroup of any series fanbase more than 20 years old.

Also, FF7R's combat was excellent. If you played efficiently and knew what you were doing with your materia loadout, you could practically make the game indistinguishable (in terms of speed and spectacle) from "pure" character action, especially when you control Tifa.

Reactions: laynelane and Box

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
99% of the people complaining about FF16 not being turn based are just salty Xbox/pc gamers mad that the game is ps5 timed exclusive.

They’re doing any and everything they can to downplay the game, Xbox guys that’ve never played a turned based game in their lives are suddenly the biggest turn based enthusiasts and saying FF16 is not a real Final Fantasy game.

We never heard any of these complaints when FF15 was released.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
99% of the people complaining about FF16 not being turn based are just salty Xbox/pc gamers mad that the game is ps5 timed exclusive.

They’re doing any and everything they can to downplay the game, Xbox guys that’ve never played a turned based game in their lives are suddenly the biggest turn based enthusiasts and saying FF16 is not a real Final Fantasy game.

Really? Did you never read anything about FFXV gameplay being terrible and people wanting turn based?

It create even the meme “hold triangle to win”.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

From the youtubers/journalists I know that were big Final Fantasy and JRPG fans they all really liked the game and one even got visibly upset by all the fake controversies.

It's obviously pushed by toxic Xbox fanboys above any other group.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
What do we think the best action combat systems are?

I find most serviceable but in my opinion the best that also features traditional full jrpg party system is hands down the Tales of series with Vesperia with the more 2d style and Arise currently with full 3d movement. They’re pretty much fighters. I appreciate the depth to the systems.

I’m mostly indifferent if it’s turn based or not. I enjoy all this stuff and change is fine. Then again… I’m sorta fine with everything cloning souls … at the moment.

• brain
Reactions: ethomaz

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Really? Did you never read anything about FFXV gameplay being terrible and people wanting turn based?

It create even the meme “hold triangle to win”.
No, never heard any hate about FF15 combat because people already knew what to expect to an extent. Since it was originally supposed to be FF13 Versus with Kingdom Hearts style combat (RIP)

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Real-time combat takes more skill, so wanting everything slowed to a crawl with turn-based gameplay goes hand in hand with Boomers' ineptitude with technology. There is no going back for FF. The FFXVI combat system is easily the best the series has been, but I agree with the comment that it's missing elemental weaknesses/strengths and status effects.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Real-time combat takes more skill, so wanting everything slowed to a crawl with turn-based gameplay goes hand in hand with Boomers' ineptitude with technology. There is no going back for FF. The FFXVI combat system is easily the best the series has been, but I agree with the comment that it's missing elemental weaknesses/strengths and status effects.
Not sure if true… at least FFXV and FFXVI requires no skill at all.

FFXV you just hold triangle and win everything… maybe sometimes you need just to hit another button for a potion.

FFXVI the dodge and parry window are so big that whatever you hit the button you are successful.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
Nah, not really.
I'd say they are the dudes who insist that chocolate doom at 320x240 is the only way to play Doom

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Oh let's not go this way. Just because people don't like something you like, doesn't mean they are xbots.
I have people here calling me xbot because I don't like TLOU and Jimbo.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh let's not go this way. Just because people don't like something you like, doesn't mean they are xbots.
Come on. It was clearly hit piece and moaning about FF16 and sure it is not coming from playstation fans.

It is usual suspects, xbots and media shills.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The game has gotten pretty much universal praise, it's just a loud and annoying minority bashing it simply because its not on their platform

Reactions: Box

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is a dumb response to a dumb argument. Are you gonna throw out Divinity Original Sin to own the Xbots? Couldn't be me.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
They're different types of games and one shouldn't have to replace the other. You want action enjoy an action game. I like RPGs that are menu driven personally. I mean I enjoy action games as well but I'm not going to make a ridiculous claim like menu driven RPGs are inherently inferior to action based approaches.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’m all for advancement but don’t make every game Devil May Cry. That’s just swapping one genre for another a la FF16.

Turn-based is quite literally 4D chess.

Reactions: Muddasar

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I'd rather have FF remain turn based than go with the clusterfuck that was the FFVII remake combat. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too with that one.

And considering both Yakuza and Persona sold very well and were lauded as excellent games, I'm not sure your argument holds water. It's simply a different gameplay experience. I'm playing the Front Mission remake now, a turn based game and I'd gladly take that over the clusterfuck that was Front Mission Evolved. So yeah, free movement doesn;t always make for a better game. It's like people who can't stand turn based gameplay have ADD and can't spend more than 2 seconds not pressing a button.

P.S.

Also, using boomer in any context other than literally describing people born in a specific time period, is cringe.
Lol, FF7R combat system is regarded as the best of the series.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't see an issue with that. There are certain francises that are so big that can afford to have different sub series to accommodate lots of gamers and cater to their specific tastes. To this day I don't understand why capcom greenlights those multiplayer RE games no one wants but does not work on AA fixed camera angle games. After all, those gamers put the franchise (and genre) on the map.

As a fan of those games, I understand that main RE games have to have the tired OTS view and have Marcus Kennedy and Chris Fenix gunning down lots of zombies. That brings the money in. But there's still a place for more finesse in survival horror, that¿s where fixed camera games have an use case.