Are Turn-Based Purists The "Boomers" Of Gaming?

are gamers who think turn-based combat is superior the equivalent of boomers in gaming?

• yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • no I am a Boomer

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I honestly don't know how anyone can think controlling a static character through a menu and having to wait turns to attack is better than having full directional control over a character. I think it's the same type of person that believes anything "old" is better just because it's old, like a "everything is better back in my day" boomer take

Some people think turn-based=rpg and games can't be a rpg if its not like old games... these people are boomers, yea. But if you look at FF, they always tried to evolve the combat as the technology became more advanced. Turn-based became atb, atb became real time with XII, then you have XIII which is fast paced and unique, it was too fast paced to control a party of 3 so they made the combat automatic with job changing on the fly, added stagger and such.
I despise most turn based games so I feel you on this one. NiNoKuni was an exception as it was a hybrid of turn based and action.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I like turn-based, as long as make it a bit complex, just rock paper scissors won't cut it.

Also best selling gamea of 2022 and 2021 is brainlet turn-based games type so, you know.

Also turn-based belongs to handheld, when you have powerhorse like consoles right now, why even cares about turn-based?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I despise most turn based games so I feel you on this one. NiNoKuni was an exception as it was a hybrid of turn based and action.
What was action in Ni No Kumi? Do you mean you can move the char?

Should you take Vagrant Story as action?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This conversation still feels dumb to me. It's not "superior" or "inferior" it's just a style.

I have news for everyone here who hates "turn based games."

Chess is going to outlive the PlayStation brand by a long, loooooooong time.

The idea that turn based gameplay is a result of "old technology" is just plain false. We had action games in the Atari/NES days, and Final Fantasy was trying to emulate a classic RPGs in a video game form. Heck, even Archon on old ass computers/NES had action combat in a chess style game. Final Fantasy 6 on SNES moved into the active time battle system, where it wasn't truly just turn based, but had the time/recharge aspect to mix things up a bit. But we all know SNES could handle action games just fine.

Again, it is all just a stylistic choice, and having just played FF6 pixel remake after completing FF16, FF6 is still WAY more difficult than FF16 and I've died several times even though I've finished the game many times in the past. It still takes skill and strategy. FF16 just does not. Now that doesn't mean menu driven/turned based games are better than action games. It's just different. The whole point of a turn based game is to rely more on brain power and decision making than reflexes. Baldur's Gate 3 is turn based is it not? Seems like people are happy with it.

This whole "it's this or that" mentality is just so ridiculous. It can all be good. You don't have to limit yourself.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
This conversation still feels dumb to me. It's not "superior" or "inferior" it's just a style.

The idea that turn based gameplay is a result of "old technology" is just plain false. We had action games in the Atari/NES days, and Final Fantasy was trying to emulate a classic RPGs in a video game form. Heck, even Archon on old ass computers/NES had action combat in a chess style game. Final Fantasy 6 on SNES moved into the active time battle system, where it wasn't truly just turn based, but had the time/recharge aspect to mix things up a bit. But we all know SNES could handle action games just fine.

Again, it is all just a stylistic choice, and having just played FF6 pixel remake after completing FF16, FF6 is still WAY more difficult than FF16 and I've died several times even though I've finished the game many times in the past. It still takes skill and strategy. FF16 just does not. Now that doesn't mean menu driven/turned based games are better than action games. It's just different. The whole point of a turn based game is to rely more on brain power and decision making than reflexes. Baldur's Gate 3 is turn based is it not? Seems like people are happy with it.

This whole "it's this or that" mentality is just so ridiculous. It can all be good. You don't have to limit yourself.
But real action gonna outlive chess by a long time. Unga bunga, let's go kill each other. Checkmate, turn-based fans.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Here you go
While it is more similar to ATB than classic turn-based each character and familiar has it own turn.

Just to understand the difference between ATB and classic turn-based think like in classic turn-based each character/enemy has it own turn in a sequential order.

ATB just add a cool down based in speed that when filled it is your/enemy turn… that means if you speed is high enough you can end having multiple turns before the enemy and vice versa.

But ATB is still turn-based just like No Ni Kuni.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
While it is more similar to ATB than classic turn-based each character and familiar has it own turn.
Ni no kuni isn't really turn based, it's a hybrid system that is kind of like grandia. Definitely not just ATB as there are timing based elements to defense and attack and even getting interrupted during casting

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ni no kuni isn't really turn based, it's a hybrid system that is kind of like grandia. Definitely not just ATB as there are timing based elements to defense and attack and even getting interrupted during casting
I consider Grandia one of the greatest turn-based gameplay ever created.

You have a bar to fill to take your turn and after you have another bar to fill to cast you command (depending of the command/magic it takes more time)… while you “casting” you can cancel or the enemy can hit you until it cancel it (you can cancel enemy turn too).

But it totally based in turns.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Just to understand the difference between ATB and classic turn-based think like in classic turn-based each character/enemy has it own turn in a sequential order.

ATB just add a cool down based in speed that when filled it is your/enemy turn… that means if you speed is high enough you can end having multiple turns before the enemy and vice versa.

But ATB is still turn-based just like No Ni Kuni.
Its hybrid and very different from typical turn based. It isn't as static there is a big difference and doing searches everyone agrees.

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
This thread seems a bit premature now that one of the best games in the year (and probably the GOTY) is turn-based 🔥

I'm not a fan of Isometric games like Baldurs Gate, nor does it look interesting at all.

I would take Devil May Cry, FF16 and Kingdom Hearts over that any day

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

I want to say it was Miyamoto talking about Mario RPG or something…. But the idea was that real time combat is actually far more user friendly of an interface than turn-based.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ops... another 90+ turn-based RPG in 2023.

Man you really took the wrong time to make this thread... just when key turn-based games were near release.
You have 4 turn-based game in the TOP10 metacritic for 2023.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Ops... another 90+ turn-based RPG in 2023.

Man you really took the wrong time to make this thread... just when key turn-based games were near release.
You have 4 turn-based game in the TOP10 metacritic for 2023.
which 4? I know of Sea of Stars and Baldur's Gate 3, what are the other 2?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Btw sea of stars is turn based but it also has action combat elements and timing attacks/qte

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Did you play this version?
I had the impression by the videos it was turn-based.

And the DLC is there in the yearly ranking.
lol no, its still not turn based. And a DLC is not a new game, it's the same game. A for effort though 😂