Are Turn-Based Purists The "Boomers" Of Gaming?

are gamers who think turn-based combat is superior the equivalent of boomers in gaming?

• yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • no I am a Boomer

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Did you play this version?
I had the impression by the videos it was turn-based.

And the DLC is there in the yearly ranking.

If you love Turn based so much, why not download and play Sea Of Stars?

Also whenever Square releases a Turn based spin off, you guys never buy or play it. Like Octopath 2

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If you love Turn based so much, why not download and play Sea Of Stars?

Also whenever Square releases a Turn based spin off, you guys never buy or play it. Like Octopath 2
?

I played most turn-based games on PS.
I just not brought Octopath 2 because I wanted to play Octopath original first 🤷‍♂️ that is how I play games Iike to play them in order to see the changes and improvements made each one.

I have no ideia where come this fake claim that gamers don't buy turn-based games.
Just like action games the good ones sells well and the bad ones don't.... that has nothing to do with being turn based or action but with the quality of the game.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
that is how I play games Iike to play them in order to see the changes and improvements made each one.
Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

Same here. I just love playing a new series in order, even if previois games are on older systems. And not only that, I like playing the actual original and not a remaster/remake.

• Shake
Reactions: ethomaz

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I mean really a lot of the best games ever made were turn based and ff7 is still talked about after all these years. I think its a good genre of rpgs.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean really a lot of the best games ever made were turn based and ff7 is still talked about after all these years. I think its a good genre of rpgs.
True but whether ppl like turn based or not is very subjective. I've played and enjoyed very few turned based games because I despise most of them, it kills immersion for me but I've had the pleasure of also playing some really good ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
There’s nothing wrong with turn based games, this all started because of fake outrage around FF16 combat. Mostly from Xbox/pc fanboys salty that it’s a PS5 timed exclusive. I love turn based and action combat games, people should just let developers do what they want and stop crying.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There’s nothing wrong with turn based games, this all started because of fake outrage around FF16 combat. Mostly from Xbox/pc fanboys salty that it’s a PS5 timed exclusive. I love turn based and action combat games, people should just let developers do what they want and stop crying.
Funny shit is I don't like them really now but I grew up playing some dope turn based rpgs like Cosmic Fantasy.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
?

I played most turn-based games on PS.
I just not brought Octopath 2 because I wanted to play Octopath original first 🤷‍♂️ that is how I play games Iike to play them in order to see the changes and improvements made each one.

I have no ideia where come this fake claim that gamers don't buy turn-based games.
Just like action games the good ones sells well and the bad ones don't.... that has nothing to do with being turn based or action but with the quality of the game.

We also have the pixel remaster, and the dragon quest games for turn based purists. The mainline FF games haven't been turn based for decades now, it's time to move on.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
True but whether ppl like turn based or not is very subjective. I've played and enjoyed very few turned based games because I despise most of them, it kills immersion for me but I've had the pleasure of also playing some really good ones.

I think their fun to play but I mean real time games are great too.

iirc it was even before then I was hearing turn-based was outdated I don't think its got much to do with fanboys.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We also have the pixel remaster, and the dragon quest games for turn based purists. The mainline FF games haven't been turn based for decades now, it's time to move on.
? Where I complained about that?

While I believe some FF fans avoided FFXVI due the battle system (and that can be see looking at the sales) I did not say it should be turn-based.
For me a mix of action and turn-based like FFVII Remake is a better battle system than FFXVI.
But FFXVI battle system is still way better than FFXV.
It is very limited (too few magic/move options) but still fun.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
? Where I complained about that?

While I believe some FF fans avoided FFXVI due the battle system (and that can be see looking at the sales) I did not say it should be turn-based.
For me a mix of action and turn-based like FFVII Remake is a better battle system than FFXVI.
But FFXVI battle system is still way better than FFXV.
It is very limited (too few magic/move options) but still fun.

Fans complained when FF11 came out
Ff12
Ff13
Ff14
Ff15

It's a tradition at this point for FF fans to complain

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Fans complained when FF11 came out
Ff12
Ff13
Ff14
Ff15

It's a tradition at this point for FF fans to complain
I'm pretty sure FFXIII is turn-based... it is a system based in ATB... the ATB gauge fills and so you can act (your turn).
Plus the same for FFXII... it has an ATB gauge that when fills you can act (your turn) but in this case it fills so fast that you can mistake it as a Action oriented cooldown but it is essentially ATB turns.

That let you with FFXI (never played), FFXIV (at first it was turn-based but changed with Reborn), FFXV and FFXVI.