As of this morning, #Starfield has already surpassed 6 million players, making it the biggest Bethesda game launch of all time

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think many users here need to understand the terminology differences between
Sold-through
Shipped
Concurrent
Player

Example, Pokémon Legends Arceus
Shipped - 12.64m day one shipment
Sold-through - 6.5m in 3 days and 11m in 10 weeks.
Honestly, shipped means fuck-all. That's how bargain bins exist, those cheap games are titles that were over shipped and the retailers just want gone, or were sent back by retailers who couldn't sell Tham at full price. Also, Microsoft is infamous for channel stuffing, where they overship to a ludicrous degree just to report huge numbers of units shipped as if that means there was demand.

Last edited:
Reactions: laynelane
24 Jun 2022
It'll be funny if "6 million played" wasn't even unique users but ppl that played abd then logged in again. Microsoft has been known to count shit like this in the past lol.

That's exactly what it (likely) is. It's a mix of unique players alongside amount of total play sessions.

I'm not 100% sure what factors they are using or how, but the fact none of it is standardized and is all obfuscated to high hell, makes it a very worthless metric to go by. Things like amount of Steam revenue (non-refunds) generated from the game since it went on sale, or uptick in Game Pass revenue attributable to the game's launch in the service (alongside software revenue & unit sales on Xbox) would be infinitely more useful metrics not just for us but also for shareholders & investors.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That's exactly what it (likely) is. It's a mix of unique players alongside amount of total play sessions.

I'm not 100% sure what factors they are using or how, but the fact none of it is standardized and is all obfuscated to high hell, makes it a very worthless metric to go by. Things like amount of Steam revenue (non-refunds) generated from the game since it went on sale, or uptick in Game Pass revenue attributable to the game's launch in the service (alongside software revenue & unit sales on Xbox) would be infinitely more useful metrics not just for us but also for shareholders & investors.
Oh of course, we know game release to sub attachment/subscription would tell the real story about sales (and not just on a one month span) but we know we won't get that from Microsoft because it won't paint tht uber successful picture.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It'll be funny if "6 million played" wasn't even unique users but ppl that played and then logged in again. Microsoft has been known to count shit like this in the past lol.
I think that's a bit unlikely. The most I could see is them double counting players from early access and then the full release.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Trust me, bro.
His or her asshole.
Tales from the "darkside" 😂😂
While it is not 100% reliable his thinking is not hard to understand and probably all of you got it.
Square Enix uses to update shipment after launch very fast to each milestone.
FFXVI didn't have a new update yet so the common sense will say they are still selling the first shipment or they didn't reach a new milestone.

FFVIIR
1st shipment: 3.5 million (launch)
2nd shipment: 5 million (3 months after launch)

FFXV
1st shipment: 5 million (launch)
2nd shipment: 6 million (a month after launch)
3rd shipment: 7 million (2 and a half month after launch)

Square Enix not updating the second shipment over 2 months and half after release can means either they didn't make a 2nd shipment yet or it still didn't reach a new milestone (4 or 5 million).

But you guys will continue trying to create a narrative FFXVI is selling well when it basically dropped in all charts to the point to not being listed anymore lol
Of course Square Enix is working on it with DLCs and even better price cuts promotions... I hope this can make the sales increase to have better legs but for now we don't have evidences if it is working (but it is too early to tell because the actions started few week ago).

Reactions: sugarbetik
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
While it is not 100% reliable his thinking is not hard to understand and probably all of you got it.
FFXVI didn't have a new update yet so the common sense will say they are still selling the first shipment or they didn't reach a new milestone.

FFVIIR

FFXV

Square Enix not updating the second shipment over 2 months and half after release can means either they didn't make a 2nd shipment yet or it still didn't reach a new milestone (4 or 5 million).

But you guys will continue trying to create a narrative FFXVI is selling well when it basically dropped in all charts to the point to not being listed anymore lol
Of course Square Enix is working on it with DLCs and even better price cuts promotions... I hope this can make the sales increase to have better legs but for now we don't have evidences if it is working (but it is too early to tell because the actions started few week ago).
Bro give it up, no one cares. My comment was in reference to "tales from his ass" or whatever. You will be OK just breathe.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Bro give it up, no one cares. My comment was in reference to "tales from his ass" or whatever. You will be OK just breathe.
It doesn't matter... the facts needs to be said due that weird narrative trying to create something that doesn't exists.
You all go against evidences to defense control FFXVI sales in all threads 🤷‍♂️

24 Jun 2022

FFVIIR

FFXV

It's not that we're "creating a narrative" that FF XVI has sold well; it's that other people who have a weird fetish to see this game fail, pull speculation out their own ass with no data to back up their statements. We haven't gotten sales updates for Diablo 4 since June either, IIRC. Can we also just go around and say that game was a failure?

That user's "analysis" is ripped straight from the Bloomberg Takashi school, and we know that dude has his own biases to the point of being directly corrected by his own sources over his own BS in reporting. If someone wants to push the idea XVI hasn't sold well, maybe SE announcing the PC version so soon after console launch would be a better point to latch onto, considering the PC version isn't due until early next year at the soonest.

I still stand by the fact them listing a PC version in initial advertising really hurt the game's sales on console, because a lot of would-be Day 1 purchasers or those who'd buy it on PS5 months down the line, are just assuming the PC version will be out by January next year, and are waiting for that instead. If it's supposed to be a console exclusive, advertise it as such.

That includes the fine print.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's not that we're "creating a narrative" that FF XVI has sold well; it's that other people who have a weird fetish to see this game fail, pull speculation out their own ass with no data to back up their statements. We haven't gotten sales updates for Diablo 4 since June either, IIRC. Can we also just go around and say that game was a failure?

That user's "analysis" is ripped straight from the Bloomberg Takashi school, and we know that dude has his own biases to the point of being directly corrected by his own sources over his own BS in reporting. If someone wants to push the idea XVI hasn't sold well, maybe SE announcing the PC version so soon after console launch would be a better point to latch onto, considering the PC version isn't due until early next year at the soonest.

I still stand by the fact them listing a PC version in initial advertising really hurt the game's sales on console, because a lot of would-be Day 1 purchasers or those who'd buy it on PS5 months down the line, are just assuming the PC version will be out by January next year, and are waiting for that instead. If it's supposed to be a console exclusive, advertise it as such.

That includes the fine print.
I posted a lot of data that shows it is not selling like the narrative here but you guys close the eyes.
It is not selling like previous FFs and that is indeed a failure imo... the game is good but it is not moving the franchise... I can't close my eyes for that like you guys do.
I don't follow Diablo 4 because I have no interest in it but from the talk is that after initial launch (record sales for the franchise... you see the difference for FFXVI here?) it dropped in player activity and seems to moving to a really bad state (aka failure).

PC version was already announced so let's see if it can put the sales on fire (something that never a PC version of FF did).
At this point I don't think even Square Enix can hide the low performance of FFXVI sales in the next financials... last one they were very clear to work to try to increase it sales (they blamed the weak performance on PS5 userbase but even comparing across PS versions alone it sold less) and they are doing that in all fronts... let's see if it works.

Remember we have the performance and data from all major countries and it is underperformed... crazy we have even official Square Enix shipment 🤷‍♂️

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I was wondering how high execs and investors see that...

6 million players... ~$100 million revenue.
That should make a lot of mad faces inside MS.

6 million players should give you around ~$350 million revenue at $60.

Gamepass will only harm big titles.
Th

FFVIIR

FFXV

Do you have any source or is it tales from your ass?

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Th

Do you have any source or is it tales from your ass?
The $100m revenue is based on Steam estimates... that is like the only place where people is buying Starfield.

There are several sales sources about FFXVI including official numbers from Square Enix... what one you want?