As of this morning, #Starfield has already surpassed 6 million players, making it the biggest Bethesda game launch of all time

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Welp looks like the game may've reached its peak CCU on Steam for today. 313K; it's back down to 300K now. So they did clear 300K but just barely.

Not sure if Sunday will see the Steam CCU go beyond 313K, but we'll see.
Yes, it's pretty common to reach the all time CCU peak during the first weekend. Looking at its reviews it's at around >1.3M units sold.

So the 12mil fallout 4 was bullshit. Liars
FO4 did ship 12M at launch, which doesn't mean it did sell 12M at launch. Pretty likely didn't sell even half of that in day one.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Yes, it's pretty common to reach the all time CCU peak during the first weekend. Looking at its reviews it's at around >1.3M units sold.

Not accounting for refunds, of course. With a user rating of 73%, which seems quite low for a big release on Steam, I'm thinking there's been a good amount of refunds. At least more than the margin of error would account for, anyway.

Although just having checked, concurrent is 303K. They might actually outdo yesterday's concurrent, but probably by a very small amount. I'm gonna go no higher than 325K peak concurrent today.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
FO4 did ship 12M at launch, which doesn't mean it did sell 12M at launch. Pretty likely didn't sell even half of that in day one.
The 6 millions for Starfield wasn't on Day 1 either because they announced it on Day 8.

You don't think Fallout 4 sold half its shipment in 1 week?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The 6 millions for Starfield wasn't on Day 1 either because they announced it on Day 8.

well, we don't know how much bethesda obfuscated their shipment numbers. it could have included shipped+future orders.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

True, the 6 millions weren't on day 1. And it's 6 million users, not 6 million games sold (I assume at least half of them are GP users who rented it).

I don't think half of the shipment was sold day one. Often launch shipments were for the first week or two, or at least for other big AAA games. Around half of it being sold day one. Percentage of digital sales back then was also pretty low.

But well, in any case for game publishers the shipped units are units sold to retailers so there's not much difference because they'll end selling these copies sooner or later to consumers. If in some case they feel they overshipped to some store they may return some copies and will allocate them in other store. But generally most shipped units get sold in a week or two to final consumers.

Obviously there are exceptions for everything, but on average this is how it did work a generation or two ago for the average big AAA games.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Game peaked today at 330K on Steam. Surprised it reached peak so early into the day (EST America time here); happened before the afternoon even hit.

Now with the honeymoon period over, it's time to see what the weekly hold is over the course of the month. All I will say is, the ResetERA thread speculating on peak Steam counts is absolutely laughable to read now. Lots of people there digging up their own butts and sniffing afterwards pretending it was lavender scented xD.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
well, we don't know how much bethesda obfuscated their shipment numbers. it could have included shipped+future orders.
With Bethesda now being part of Microsoft, you can bet that retail channels were stuffed with copies of Starfield, probably to the point of clogging bargain bins for years to come.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nathandw9

9 Sep 2023
I don’t think it will beat BG3 in NPD imo… even being only PS5 launch.
But that is just my prediction.

1. MK1
2. Baldur’s Gate 3 (PS5 launch)
3. Starfield (most Steam and some Windows Store game sales… not GP)

About CCU unless you have a free trial weekend launch will be the peak of CCU… when I mean launch it can be the game launch or a big expansion launch… for example Destiny peaks at new expansions launch.
Npd is really going to be telling considering Chris Dring is spinning a ~15 k physical launch in the UK as a possibility for Starfield to be the ‘biggest launch of 2023’. There was no reason for him to think Starfield is similar to Diablo 4.

There’s a possibility that Starfield is 4th on NPD, there are other games you may want to consider like NBA2k24 launching this month, EASPORTSFC 24 which does surprisingly well in the US and the continuation of Madden sales from its launch last month.

24 Jun 2022
Npd is really going to be telling considering Chris Dring is spinning a ~15 k physical launch in the UK as a possibility for Starfield to be the ‘biggest launch of 2023’. There was no reason for him to think Starfield is similar to Diablo 4.

There’s a possibility that Starfield is 4th on NPD, there are other games you may want to consider like NBA2k24 launching this month, EASPORTSFC 24 which does surprisingly well in the US and the continuation of Madden sales from its launch last month.

Yeah Chris Dring is slipping hard RN. He got GOWR's sales count completely wrong (it was 5.1 million in 4 days, not 5 million in one week (7 days)), but somehow got ToTK's right and got Starfield's wrong in a way that made it look more impressive than it actually was (6 million in 2 days, when it was actually 6 million in 6 days. That's players BTW, not even specifically just sales like with GOWR and ToTK, so not a great comparison point in the first place).

As a reporter and sales analyst, you're SUPPOSED to do your research and get these types of things correct before reporting on them. It shouldn't take a legion of people in the comments correcting you to do such, unless you for whatever reason intentionally got things wrong expecting engagement. Which, hey, fair game. But personally, I think that can lead to playing with fire too closely.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nah, that’s not sales that’s user engagement. Most popular chart can let you gauge gamepass performance on pc. I brought that up earlier or in a diff topic, Destiny 2 should not be beating Starfield on windows but it is… Destiny’s windows playerbase is like less than 5% of its steam user base. I love destiny but it’s not like the game is doing banger numbers lately either so like wtf. Numerous skus for Starfield will be there including gamespass, early access bundles etc.

It’s kinda indicating that pc players will still rather use steam and buy games full price than use gamepass on pc. This also indicates that a lion’s share of that concurrent was just Xbox + steam with windows engagement being fucking nothing.

Gamepass is looking more and more like a giant fuckingn disaster. Instead of selling a game for $70 you’re selling 600 for $12. And it’s not growing users… it’s losing them. Unreal stuff honestly. Serves them right for being a dogshit company that is clueless in fostering game development.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022