Axios: 11 members of Congress argue Sony is unfairly hurting Xbox in Japan

24 Jun 2022
PeterOvo is a pathetic xbox shill

He's an insipid, unicellular, psychopathic, idiotic brainlet who probably dyes his water green just to live the Xbox life.

Really glad I muted him and many zealots like them on Twitter. Their filth doesn't deserve views or responses.

Like any company, Sony and MS fight for their own interests. MS wants to acquire to grow and when asked by regulators Sony says they don't like it and they want to keep having CoD.

Other than that, Sony can't do anything to block the acquisition and his opinion doesn't matter. Regulators are the ones who must investigate the market and block acquisitions in case they would cause a monopoly or would significantly lessen the competition for that market.

Market data says that even combining MS and ABK they wouldn't be market leaders in gaming (not even in consoles) or wouldn't even have a huge market share to be in a power position to make monopolistic actions: they would have less than 20% of the gaming market share and would have peope above them, being one of them Sony. For these reasons all regulators are approving the deal independently of whatever Sony says.

If in the future MS continues acquiring companies and reaches a point where they become market leaders and achieve a power position where they could make monopolistic actions, then regulators would/should block that acquisition. But we're very far from that. MS+ABK isn't an issue for the gaming market or even the console market. Even inside the high end consoles market.

You continuously fail to see the long-term picture in this, it's shocking. Stop being a bean counter and start seeing what more 3P acquisitions like ABK by companies like Microsoft could do in constricting the market strength of platforms like PlayStation.

By your logic Microsoft should buy Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo because those wouldn't create a monopolistic effect either...if you're just going by revenue. And that's your problem: you're too narrow-minded about this. These acquisitions aren't just about amassing revenue; they're about amassing IP, talent, patents, tech, and control over all of that. Each acquisition adds further market value and perception to the buyer, and sometimes that can come at the direct impact of a rival.

Did you forget that when MS announced the ABK deal, it coincided with Sony losing $20 billion in market cap? Whether that was fully attributable to the deal or not isn't so much important as the fact the deal announcement played a part into that value drop. You're being naive enough to keep thinking this is just about Xbox vs PlayStation, when this ABK deal and potentially other 3P acquisitions by Microsoft, are really more Microsoft vs PlayStation. This is Microsoft money, not Xbox money, making the ABK deal happen. Do you honesty think Microsoft are dumb enough to look at the value of these acquisitions purely from the cumulative revenue they can bring to the gaming side?

You'd have to be stuck living under a rock to think this acquisition is simply about Xbox. You're ironically using Microsoft's own stupid talking points to argue the reason for approval (little Xbox still won't be #1 in revenue), as YOUR reasons for being okay with the deal, but I don't think you're self-aware enough to see that irony. You also seem to have this flawed idea that regulators should just wait until an actual monopoly is in the cusp of reach, before doing anything about it. If Microsoft are already on record saying they're looking at more gaming acquisitions post ABK, and have already signaled intent with aspects of ABK in current proceedings that could suggest future foreclosure on direct competitors, then the time to consider monopolistic impacts would be NOW, not after Microsoft's acquired ABK, Zenimax and whoever else in terms of big publishers. And it's not just market revenue that would be the only metric under review to determine those conditions, either (and certainly shouldn't be the only one for Big Tech companies like Microsoft).

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
But let's not worry, we'll soon have our resident cock sucker, I mean, expert, explaining how Microsoft is not a problem and acquisitions are grand.
Which one? there's a few 😂😂 although one more prominent 😂😂😂

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

So this came out earlier today and it does mention the activsion deal. I do kind of wonder if the deal has hit an unexpected snag in China and the Twitter bots have been given orders to blame Sony and japan to amp up anti Asian sentiment or something. I can’t prove it but I feel like it’s related.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

So this came out earlier today and it does mention the activsion deal. I do kind of wonder if the deal has hit an unexpected snag in China and the Twitter bots have been given orders to blame Sony and japan to amp up anti Asian sentiment or something. I can’t prove it but I feel like it’s related.
Thats... uhhh..... silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

China dragging feet on a deal means Microsoft will raise anti-Japanese sentiment? To what end? China and Japan, both the governments and the people, actively dislike each-other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You continuously fail to see the long-term picture in this, it's shocking. Stop being a bean counter and start seeing what more 3P acquisitions like ABK by companies like Microsoft could do in constricting the market strength of platforms like PlayStation
The opposite, I see the numbers and the potential in the long term of both the investments of Sony and MS.

Other than Forza & Horizon MS was stagnant and was forced to buy to have a similar output to Sony. Bought names of the past where most of their main talent is no longer there.

As an example, Bluepoint has top staff from Diablo II or WoW. Bungie, Firewalk, Deviation have many top people who made top Halo or CoD. Sony buys or works with (in 2nd party) with the talent who make top tier braands.

On top of that, Sony grows their existing top tier teams. In the past ND or Guerrilla worked only in a single game at the time: now they work in 3 or 4.

MS can't constrict anything when they have even half of the market share than Sony has, even adding ABK. Sony won't give a fuck if MS owns Bethesda and ABK and makes all their games exclusive. They have a gazillion games more both exclusive and multi, and the Zenimax+ABK ones represent only a tiny portion of their market.

I'm very confident that, as Sony forecasts, Sony will increase their market share vs MS this generation, not the opposite.

By your logic Microsoft should buy Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo because those wouldn't create a monopolistic effect either...if you're just going by revenue.
I didn't say that. I say that even after acquiring ABK Sony will continue having twice or more the market of MS in many areas, independently if the ABK games go exclusive or not. The factual numbers say is super likely the case.

It's a joke to call monopolistic MS: they are the last ones in the console race or in the games subs race. And after this acquisition will continue being the last ones. The regulators would stop them if they were somewhere close to creating a monopoly. But the ABK acquisition isn't the case. And also wouldn't be the case of these other 4 because they have a way smaller market than ABK.

Did you forget that when MS announced the ABK deal, it coincided with Sony losing $20 billion in market cap? Whether that was fully attributable to the deal or not isn't so much important as the fact the deal announcement played a part into that value drop.
It wasn't attributable to the deal because the stock was already falling days before the announcement. They had many similar increases or decreases. As an example, that January and February had a decrease similar to the increase they had this January and February.

Do you honesty think Microsoft are dumb enough to look at the value of these acquisitions purely from the cumulative revenue they can bring to the gaming side?
It is a fact that MS has been burning billions since several decades ago trying to compete against Sony and always failed and Sony dominated them. Only in the PS3 gen were close to Sony and was due to Sony's faults with the PS3 launch. Once Sony fixed the issues, they went back to dominate again.

You'd have to be stuck living under a rock to think this acquisition is simply about Xbox.
As Phil Spencer said, this acquisition has more to do with buying King than CoD. King will give them way more users and revenue, and will greatly help MS grow in mobile, moving MS up to become now one of the top players in mobile, while in console and PC their market position will improve but won't almost change.

You're ironically using Microsoft's own stupid talking points to argue the reason for approval (little Xbox still won't be #1 in revenue)
No, it's the same ones seen in the market data provided by MS and Sony, or known from the whole market, and what regulators say after watching that market data. I'm not the blilnd fanboy ignoring facts here.

You also seem to have this flawed idea that regulators should just wait until an actual monopoly is in the cusp of reach, before doing anything about it.
I didn't say that. Regulators would act if MS would had enough market position to take monopolistic actions or create a monopoly. You don't seem to realize that MS barely has slightly above 10% of the gaming market, not even 20%. And the market share they have in console.

If Microsoft are already on record saying they're looking at more gaming acquisitions post ABK,
Yes, and Sony too. And Tencent. And they all 3 will continue acquiring with no issues unless some regulator is drunk because none of them has or is close to have a monopoly.

The gaming market is huge and these publishers you love and don't want to see acquired by MS are only a small part of it. You wouldn't complain if Sony would be the one wanting to buy let's say Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo you mentioned, being Sony the market leader in consoles or game subs.

It's because you complain because of console wars or because aren't aware of the reality of the market.

and have already signaled intent with aspects of ABK in current proceedings that could suggest future foreclosure on direct competitors, then the time to consider monopolistic impacts would be NOW, not after Microsoft's acquired ABK, Zenimax and whoever else in terms of big publishers. And it's not just market revenue that would be the only metric under review to determine those conditions, either (and certainly shouldn't be the only one for Big Tech companies like Microsoft).
Yes, monopoly is only about market value. It's when a company has the totality or almost the totality of a market, or at least is a market leader with a huge market share, and take actions that blocks to properly be able to compete against them.

In this case MS has around 8% of the gaming market share, and will buy ABK, a company with around 4% market share. To call that something monopolistic is a joke. Even in consoles, where they are -and will continue after this acquisition- being in the last position, with their direct competition having around twice the market than them.

24 Jun 2022
MS can't constrict anything when they have even half of the market share than Sony has, even adding ABK. Sony won't give a fuck if MS owns Bethesda and ABK and makes all their games exclusive. They have a gazillion games more both exclusive and multi, and the Zenimax+ABK ones represent only a tiny portion of their market.

It's not about the number of games, its about a select number of heavy hitters. Either games that are big cash cows, have a lot of cultural cache and relevance (both among the gaming sphere and mainstream), or in many cases both. If MS are going to end up owning COD, Diablo, Overwatch, etc...they are going to do everything they can to associate those brands with Xbox, with Microsoft. And that will convince some people that Xbox is gaining in cultural cache, in some cases perhaps in perception to the detriment of PlayStation.

You say Sony don't care if MS own ABK, yet they've just spent several months battling Microsoft in hopes of getting regulatory bodies to shut down the MS/ABK deal. So it'd seem like they do care, to some extent. And I can guarantee you they would DEFINITELY care if they made COD, Diablo, Overwatch, even Crash and Spyro exclusive. In some cases not necessarily monetarily, but more out of optics perception. The egg on face for an IP tied so closely to PlayStation's roots like Crash, going exclusive to Xbox, would IMO be as bad for Sony as KOTOR Remake getting announced as a PS5 console exclusive was for Microsoft.

A lot of those gazillion games you're referring to, are a lot smaller and insignificant in terms of individual market impact than the select crop of big market IP and, yes, Sony has a decent number of those in-house. Spiderman, God of War, Gran Turismo et. But among 3P, I think that number in terms of pertinent IP isn't as big as you think. Take among Japanese 3P IP for example, off the top of my head there's Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry (all four of those from a single publisher BTW), Tekken, Elden Ring, Metal Gear Solid, Dead or Alive, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Sonic, Yakuza, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest...those are mainly the big ones IMO. Notice those are all just from a whopping SIX publishers? You don't think Sony gives a shit if any of those 3P publishers, let alone two of them, ended up acquired by a competitor like Microsoft?

I'm very confident that, as Sony forecasts, Sony will increase their market share vs MS this generation, not the opposite.

Did Sony's forecasts account for acquisitions like ABK? Did they account for potentially other big 3P acquisitions by companies like Microsoft or another Big Tech company that may have incentive to foreclose software options on PlayStation to benefit their own gaming ecosystem? Did they account for the potential impacts of losing out on revenue due to not being able to lock down content deals for games like COD going forward?

@ethomaz already pointed out elsewhere how it looks like Sony's PC software revenue forecasts look like they'll come up well short of projections, so it's obvious forecasts can't account for every possibility and sometimes end up overshooting. What if these GaaS titles don't hit? What if they underperform in revenue? A lot of Sony's projections for market share increase might be predicated too much on things with uncertain provability, and/or a more conservative Microsoft that didn't go for big 3P game publisher acquisitions (or being more conservative in terms of not leveraging acquired content to foreclose on PlayStation software offerings to help grow Xbox and Game Pass).

Just like how I think @Welfare makes the mistake of clinging too close to Microsoft's fiscal results without ever questioning them, you're potentially making the mistake of taking Sony's future forecasts as gospel without ever questioning what conditions they predicted market-wise over the gen to formulate those forecasts.

I didn't say that. I say that even after acquiring ABK Sony will continue having twice or more the market of MS in many areas, independently if the ABK games go exclusive or not. The factual numbers say is super likely the case.

It's a joke to call monopolistic MS: they are the last ones in the console race or in the games subs race. And after this acquisition will continue being the last ones. The regulators would stop them if they were somewhere close to creating a monopoly. But the ABK acquisition isn't the case. And also wouldn't be the case of these other 4 because they have a way smaller market than ABK.

Like I said, you're being too much a bean counter and aren't looking at things from the bigger picture. There are trends in the market that cumulatively coalesce to form the numbers you keep referring to, and you're refusing to see what the realities of optics (specifically optics/perception momentum) can have in terms of influencing people in the market.

You're really going to sit here and say that if Microsoft bought THREE prominent Japanese 3P publishers, that wouldn't signal to certain PlayStation gamers that there could be a changing of the guard? Especially considering the CMA just said partial foreclosure of COD content on PlayStation is essentially okay, if Microsoft were to do the same with Capcom, Sega & Koei-Tecmo games that wouldn't cause a good chunk of PlayStation gamers to jump into Microsoft's ecosystem and maybe relegate their PlayStations to just exclusive 1P content? I bet you it absolutely would.

Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Sonic, Yakuza, Persona etc. all Day 1 in Game Pass versus $70 on PlayStation. Or, Sony takes the poison pill and neuters direct sales revenue paying some crazy fee for PS+ Day 1 access to those same games, just to stay competitive. That's what it would quickly come to if Microsoft were to buy those publishers.. Maybe that has a negligible effect in Japan (I think it'd have a bigger effect than that, personally), but it would have a massive effect in Western territories and that is all Microsoft would need.

Just the optics in Microsoft getting those three Japanese publishers, and Ubisoft on top, and how the shills and media would relentlessly promote it and talk about it, taking every opportunity to attack PlayStation, not to mention the impacts such purchases would have on Sony's stock price (even on the Nikkei Index; actually, perhaps most especially there) could snowball into something rather catastrophic IMO. Even if you say those purchases wouldn't put Microsoft in a position of making more money than Sony in gaming (highly doubt that) or still wouldn't be a monopoly, you don't NEED a monopoly in order to create a catastrophic snowball of an optics & momentum nightmare for PlayStation to just bleed out brand strength and appear to have a worsening future outlook among the install base.

Who would feel confident getting a PS6 if Microsoft acquired Capcom, knowing full well there's a chance Xbox would get special perks for those Capcom games rather than PlayStation? Or even just knowing those Capcom games would be Day 1 in Game Pass, but you have to pay $70 each to get them on PlayStation? Now factor that for the Sega, Koei-Tecmo, and Ubisoft games in this hypothetical. At some point, even the most hardcore PlayStation gamers who are otherwise against services are going to find it almost impossible to see the sheer value of games of that quality, of that caliber and with that type of gaming legacy, being easily available for cheap in a catch-all subscription service. PlayStation would become an afterthought (relegated to 1P only) even for those types.

It wasn't attributable to the deal because the stock was already falling days before the announcement. They had many similar increases or decreases. As an example, that January and February had a decrease similar to the increase they had this January and February.

Well at the very least, the announcement of the deal did not help matters any.

It is a fact that MS has been burning billions since several decades ago trying to compete against Sony and always failed and Sony dominated them. Only in the PS3 gen were close to Sony and was due to Sony's faults with the PS3 launch. Once Sony fixed the issues, they went back to dominate again.

That was in a very different industry where massive 3P acquisitions weren't a thing, though. Now, it's a reality and could explode with many buyers (like many Big Tech) going after as many of the most valuable 3P publishers as possible.

A large part of Sony's dominance relied on being the defacto platform for 3P developers to focus their efforts on, usually because Sony offered the best mixture of tech, dev support, licensing, marketing, distribution, platform stability and innovation. That then also allowed them to enter special co-development relationships with certain 3P developers, for PlayStation exclusives to further bolster the strength of their library.

But none of that matters in a market where the amount of key 3P developers is shrinking, due to the 3P publishers who own them being acquired by other platform holders and (potentially) Big Tech companies who may have their own reasons to secure full ownership of that content. Even if companies like Microsoft keep that 3P content on PlayStation, it is no better than Sony being subservient and having their platform generate money that 70% of which now goes directly to a competitor (such as Microsoft), rather than an independent 3P publisher.

So the future movement of growth Sony could have with the publisher of those games no longer exists, since that publisher is now owned by a direct platform rival, or a Big Tech company that might keep the games multiplat, but only until they can get something of their own going. Either way it puts Sony in a weak and subservient position as a platform holder because the growth of those IP and those games has to be placed completely in the faith of the companies that now own them. And no matter what, Sony can't engage in growth with that 3P publisher at all because they are no longer an independent entity.

As Phil Spencer said, this acquisition has more to do with buying King than CoD. King will give them way more users and revenue, and will greatly help MS grow in mobile, moving MS up to become now one of the top players in mobile, while in console and PC their market position will improve but won't almost change.

Bullshit. If this whole thing was just about mobile, they could have made a play for Zynga, but decided not to. They have spent more time talking about COD than King during this whole acquisition, even during points where they could have pressed on the King part of things to move discussions towards what they really wanted.

And your assertion, and deafening quickness to buy into Phil Spencer's marketing spiel, is hilarious considering the CMA called Microsoft on that bluff and said, if it's really just about King, why not divest COD? You saw how quickly Microsoft outright shut down that talk (or tried to), and have been adamant in their defiance to divestiture ever since?

Oh, but it's really just about King, sure. Then divestiture should have been rather easy a concession for them to accept to get the deal through quickly. Reality doesn't support your nor Phil Spencer's talking point.

No, it's the same ones seen in the market data provided by MS and Sony, or known from the whole market, and what regulators say after watching that market data. I'm not the blilnd fanboy ignoring facts here.

That market data is based on the past. A past that can very easily change, especially in a quickly changing market. There is almost no way of knowing if Microsoft's provided data has been completely honest and transparent; at best there are probably some white lies mixed in with things they've mentioned. They have also obfuscated as much as possible, even with regulators, perhaps in some cases to avoid showing how the whole of the company can continuously support and subsidize losses in parts of the gaming side (as that would potentially validate other concerns).

I don't really know what you are being here, but I do know you're being a lot like @Welfare in how subservient you are to any data that can easily confirm your pre-existing biases in the line of this discussion, in your cases even going as far as to agree with something a known liar like Phil Spencer has said, unironically, just to keep thinking Xbox will forever stay in the same place forever no matter how many publishers Microsoft buys, and that Sony is forever impervious to any loss of independent 3P publishers because you read hard into some forecasts for growth that probably don't even account for a very aggressive Microsoft in the market (or anything out of the ordinary).

I'd rather be cognizant of, and acknowledgeable of, the fuller impacts some of these movements and actions could have WRT to the wider market, rather than just blindly take in curated info from a company that just happens to conveniently reinforce what I already want to believe, and leaving it at that.

The gaming market is huge and these publishers you love and don't want to see acquired by MS are only a small part of it. You wouldn't complain if Sony would be the one wanting to buy let's say Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo you mentioned, being Sony the market leader in consoles or game subs.

It's because you complain because of console wars or because aren't aware of the reality of the market.

Don't shove words into my mouth. I've already said in the past that I don't particularly cheerlead acquisitions, nor am I inherently against acquisitions unless some massive civil and/or human rights are being violated in the process. However, there are specific implications of the ABK deal in terms of what it could signal to the market and prospective buyers, that WOULD make me against the deal UNLESS provisions were established to signal to other companies that, hey, you can't just buy your way to prominence and not expect to make some big compromises.

But I have ALSO said, that there are levels to this. So if you want to be petty and say I'm being a console warrior or don't "understand the reality of the market", have at it. But any number of people would tell you that they have a LOT more confidence in Sony successfully managing Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and/or Koei-Tecmo than Microsoft, simply looking at how the two companies have handled prior acquisitions and internal team growth & cultivation. Any number of people would tell you they have a LOT more confidence in Sony being able to cultivate the talent of those publishers and enable them to do bigger & better things than if they stayed independent; the same simply cannot be said for Microsoft, just look at their history.

Playground games made Forza Horizon before acquisition and make the exact same game post-acquisition. They're supposedly working on Fable but are having a lot of issues and need outside help, doesn't inspire confidence. Rare....jeez, Rare. Went from being practically Nintendo's equal in the late SNES and N64 eras to quickly falling out of relevance shortly after the Conker remake on OG Xbox. Got crunched to hell on Perfect Dark Zero, and future Perfect Dark games shut down. Banjo-Kazooie fell off. The Rare of today is nothing like in their glory days; there is no reason they could not have Sea of Thieves AND successful modern entries of Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, and Perfect Dark today if they had a competent parent company.

This isn't fanboy rambling; it's based on factual accountings of Microsoft's gaming acquisitions. Things either stay the same to the point of effective stagnation, or they degrade in quality and market relevance. 343i is an easy target, but I could've mentioned others. Even right now with their 2018 acquisitions, what's really come about from any of them that is obviously bigger & better than what they released in the past? Most of them haven't released anything since being acquired! But meanwhile you have an Insomniac who have released several high-quality games since their being acquired within roughly the same time frame, and going even bigger with games like Wolverine?

That is the difference between Microsoft and Sony, and it's the reason why a large majority would be rather fine with Sony acquiring the publishers I mentioned, but be very wary of Microsoft doing the same. Historical precedent matters.

Yes, monopoly is only about market value. It's when a company has the totality or almost the totality of a market, or at least is a market leader with a huge market share, and take actions that blocks to properly be able to compete against them.

In this case MS has around 8% of the gaming market share, and will buy ABK, a company with around 4% market share. To call that something monopolistic is a joke. Even in consoles, where they are -and will continue after this acquisition- being in the last position, with their direct competition having around twice the market than them.

Very bean counter response, but expected at this point.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's not about the number of games, its about a select number of heavy hitters.
PlayStation has way more heavy hitters than Xbox. Not only in exclusive games, there are also many multiplatform games (mostly Japanese ones) that don't release on Xbox. To lose one or two of them (or not, remember the many games MS and subsidiaries published on PS) won't change anything because they represent a small portion of the game sales in PS.

Remember that around 1.7 billion games were sold for PS4 before the PS5 release. Until now, maybe they are 2B or even more. Zenimax sold maybe aroud 50M games for PS4 being generous combining all their titles. Even if they were 100M it would continue being a tiny portion of the PS4 game sales. Same goes with the amount of users who played them, a small portion. And the subset of that, player who would leave if they become exclusive, also is tiny compared to their total userbase.

The market data show that these pubishers are big, but only a small portion of the super giant markets that are gaming, consoles or PS. You overestimate how important these game publishers are.

I shown countless times here the CoD numbers vs PS numbers and they are only a very small portion of the PS business, and that Sony would recover the players lost if it goes exclusive in less than a year. And this is CoD, which is by far bigger than any other game series MS bought other than Minecraft, which are not relevant at all for PS and btw basically all of them continue as multi receiving their new games and DLC on PS.

You say Sony don't care if MS own ABK, yet they've just spent several months battling Microsoft in hopes of getting regulatory bodies to shut down the MS/ABK deal. So it'd seem like they do care, to some extent. And I can guarantee you they would DEFINITELYcare if they made COD, Diablo, Overwatch, even Crash and Spyro exclusive. In some cases not necessarily monetarily, but more out of optics perception. The egg on face for an IP tied so closely to PlayStation's roots like Crash, going exclusive to Xbox, would IMO be as bad for Sony as KOTOR Remake getting announced as a PS5 console exclusive was for Microsoft.
A lot of those gazillion games you're referring to, are a lot smaller and insignificant in terms of individual market impact than the select crop of big market IP and, yes, Sony has a decent number of those in-house. Spiderman, God of War, Gran Turismo et.
In companies the important thing is the factual data, not personal opinions or perception. The factual data says how many players move each IP and the amount of money thy make and the trend they had over time for each title they released.

From wikipedia: "As of 2007, the Spyro the Dragon series has sold over 20 million units worldwide." The recent Sony big hits (Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, TLOU etc) sell over 20M each or almost.

Again, you are overestimating these ABK IPs. Specially on their current state and that some like Diablo, Overwatch or Warcraft/WoW are/were popular mostly on other platforms like PC and not that much in PS.

But among 3P, I think that number in terms of pertinent IP isn't as big as you think. Take among Japanese 3P IP for example, off the top of my head there's Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry (all four of those from a single publisher BTW), Tekken, Elden Ring, Metal Gear Solid, Dead or Alive, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Sonic, Yakuza, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest...those are mainly the big ones IMO. Notice those are all just from a whopping SIX publishers? You don't think Sony gives a shit if any of those 3P publishers, let alone two of them, ended up acquired by a competitor like Microsoft?
Sony would fight to keep them as they are fighting to keep CoD. They obviously give a shit. Regulators very likely will approve (as most of them already did) the ABK one, but if later they go to chase 6 big ones more -specially if would go at the same time- maybe would block it. And Sony would make some big reaction even if as market leader in different markets regulators maybe would allow them to buy big publishers.

If we look at their yearly revenue (let's use companiesmarketcap.com for this example): Capcom has $0.76B, Bandai Namco $7.56B, Square Enix $2.61B, Sega Sammy $2.68B, Konami $2.34B. This is a combined $16B, even if a big chunk of that isn't from gaming.

This would around a 8% market share of the total gaming market (around $200B) if all their revenue would be from game (which isn't, a big chunk is from other business), twice as big as ABK. But again, a big chunk of the revenue of these companies isn't from games and inside the games one a big portion isn't from consoles, and a big chunk of the console ones isn't from PS. So their real impact in the console wars would be very likely way smaller than the ABK acquisition.

In any case that won't happen first because first these companies apparently don't want or need to sell. Second because for cultural reasons and because of the investors they have they'd prefer to sell to Japanese companies with basically the same investors. Third because if they sell would be to grow, not to lose their main market, PS.

Nothing leads to think MS will/can buy these 6 (even if they could want to), but the impact on PS would be smaller than the one of getting ABK. As happens with (according to both MS and the regulators) ABK to make their big titles exclusive wouldn't make finantial sense, so even in the super unlikely case of them being acquired by MS pretty likely they, or most of their main games, would continue on PS. So the negative impact of the acquisition would be way smaller of the already small impact that the ABK acquisition will have.

Did Sony's forecasts account for acquisitions like ABK? Did they account for potentially other big 3P acquisitions by companies like Microsoft or another Big Tech company that may have incentive to foreclose software options on PlayStation to benefit their own gaming ecosystem? Did they account for the potential impacts of losing out on revenue due to not being able to lock down content deals for games like COD going forward?

I don't see why Sony would forecast acquisitions they can't afford as ABK. They forecast the smaller scale acquisitions and investments they make, are working to make, or considered (but maybe saw it wasn't a good fit or that they didn't want to sell, or at least to them) to make.

Having also the PS market data, the gaming market data, and the 3P publishers market data they also forecast the potential impact of acquisitions made by their direct competitors, like the ABK one which in fact they provided it to regulators. Reguators who, other than the couple of remaining ones approved it or considered that the impact of the acquisition didn't worry them for the console market.

@ethomaz already pointed out elsewhere how it looks like Sony's PC software revenue forecasts look like they'll come up well short of projections, so it's obvious forecasts can't account for every possibility and sometimes end up overshooting.
In the related thread I shown that some his personal estimates are pretty wrong and that if we use a pretty conservative but way more realistic estimate using the most accurate/popular -but obviously still an estimate with a big margin of error- methodology and counting all their PC games instead of cherrypicking some shows that apparently Sony generated around $300M in revenue from the PC ports until the end of this recent FY. Which as I remember was what Sony had forecasted for that FY.

What if these GaaS titles don't hit?

What if they underperform in revenue? A lot of Sony's projections for market share increase might be predicated too much on things with uncertain provability, and/or a more conservative Microsoft that didn't go for big 3P game publisher acquisitions (or being more conservative in terms of not leveraging acquired content to foreclose on PlayStation software offerings to help grow Xbox and Game Pass).

Destiny 2, GT7 and MLB are hitting. I'm pretty sure the Bungie, Deviation, Firewalk or Haven new IPs are safe bets, like TLOU Online due to their pedigree. Jimbo said that if only a few of them succed it could mean a transformative success for them. So they obviously assume that some of them may not succed, as happens with non GaaS games.

But GaaS are also only around a third or a quarter of the new games they have under development. They mentioned that GaaS/PC/mobile efforts aren't made at the expenses of their efforts on traditional SP console games, that instead they are also doubling down their effort on these type of games and that the efforts on GaaS/PC/mobile are on top of that.

Regarding revenue, Sony is pretty good making projections and forecasts and normally achieve them or outperform them because I assume that in most companies they are often conservative and consider that some of their projects won't succeed. In the Jimbo era Sony also kept improving their profitability year after year even in the middle of a crossgenerational transition, where they always had loses due to big R&D costs and lower previous gen support, engagement and recurring revenue to compensate it. They also had a long and steady history of properly managing their teams, specially in recent years.

So I'm very confident on SIE's future, starting with FY results they'll show in a few months, where I expect to see as usual several record numbers. I expect MS to continue mismanaging their acquired and older teams and underperforming compared to PS, plus also expect PS to continue dominating Xbox and PS Plus to continue dominating GP. I expect MS to continue making broken promises that they never achieve or deliver (like the Kinect and the power of the cloud ones with Mylo and so on) and Sony to continue letting their GOTY candidate games do the talk and to continue destroying in sales the MS ones.

Just like how I think @Welfare makes the mistake of clinging too close to Microsoft's fiscal results without ever questioning them, you're potentially making the mistake of taking Sony's future forecasts as gospel without ever questioning what conditions they predicted market-wise over the gen to formulate those forecasts.
Companies can't lie with their fiscal results. But as MS does they can hide some ugly ones. Halo Infinite and the Zenimax acquisitions were supposed to change anything and MS even stopped sharing the GP game subs.

Sony continues being transparent sharing many record numbers and achieving or even increasing their forecasts. Obviously some day may be wrong or both Sony or MS can change, but as of now they are like this.

Like I said, you're being too much a bean counter and aren't looking at things from the bigger picture. There are trends in the market that cumulatively coalesce to form the numbers you keep referring to, and you're refusing to see what the realities of optics (specifically optics/perception momentum) can have in terms of influencing people in the market.
The realities of the market is that AAA keep getting more expensive to make so Sony invest in more revenue sources, specially in the other AAA market that doesn't damage them (PC), the business model that generates most of the revenue (GaaS) and the biggest gaming market in userbase and revenue where they have a lot of room to grow (mobile). So Sony in addition to grow in their current areas also invests to grow there.

Same goes with MS, with the difference that they had less top tier dev teams and IPs, aren't capable to produce them so had to buy them. The reality of the market is that Sony makes way more revenue and profit from games than MS, and dominates them with a 2:1 difference or more in console sales, game subs, and pretty likely total console games sold, exclusives sold, first party game solds, game reviews and awards etc.

The realities seen in factual data, and not in opinion, show that the ABK and Zenimax players from PS who would leave if these games go exclusive are a tiny portion of the total, that would be compensated quickly by the PS growth, and that most of the PS players don't play their games. So the impact of these acquisitions are going to be minimal and that would be in the case all or most of their game go console exclusive which may not be the case.

I analize the factual market data, which shows the reality. Your "perception momentum" is your personal opinion. The factual data says that most PS4 didn't buy Zenimax or ABK games and bought other games instead, so I highly doubt that even if all the ones who bought them leave (which won't happen if all their future games go full exclusive, which, we'll have to see if it's the case), that MS, Zenimax and ABK have a small market share and that PS dominates Xbox by a wide margin way bigger than Zenimax and ABK could compensate even if going full console exclusive for all their future games.

So maybe the move of the acquisition is a PR stunt that wows you, but the market data says that won't change things so much. As happened when they were selling Kinect saying that was even going to track fingers and devs knew it was total bullshit because wasn't possible with a 320x240 camera tracking people placed a few meters away. Or as happened with the Hellblade 2 CG announcement when they still hadn't started the production of the game and were years away from having UE5 ready to use.

I prefer to look at factual data because helps me filter the bulshit that their PR stunts may make you think.

You're really going to sit here and say that if Microsoft bought THREE prominent Japanese 3P publishers,
3? Why not 3000? It's just fantasy. As of now, they are buying zero. And pretty likely they won't buy a single big Japanese publisher because they won't want or need to sell. Because most of them are performing better than they ever did and are in a growing trend, which is a point where as investor you don't want to sell because means that soon your company will have more value if the growing trend continues.

And if they would sell, would happen the same than with ABK: they would acquired and basically nothing would change. With the difference that the Japanese publishers are smaller specially if you only look at their gaming console part, and particularly the console one. So the impact would be smaller because there are less fans -a smaller portion of PS players- buying their games.

A large part of Sony's dominance relied on being the defacto platform for 3P developers to focus their efforts on, usually because Sony offered the best mixture of tech, dev support, licensing, marketing, distribution, platform stability and innovation. That then also allowed them to enter special co-development relationships with certain 3P developers, for PlayStation exclusives to further bolster the strength of their library.
Yes, and Sony does that with a ton of companies. PS is by far the console with the biggest 3P support and will continue being that after the ABK acquisition. And even if MS acquires 3 or 6 top Japanese 3P. Because there's a gazillion more. And btw, one of the most important ones is MS: remember that being sold to MS doesn't mean to leave PS.

But none of that matters in a market where the amount of key 3P developers is shrinking,
The amount of 3P developers, publishers and games grows every generation. Some are bought or shut down, but a bigger number of them appear. In many cases with the key talent of those acquired or shut down a few years before.

Even if companies like Microsoft keep that 3P content on PlayStation, it is no better than Sony being subservient and having their platform generate money that 70% of which now goes directly to a competitor (such as Microsoft), rather than an independent 3P publisher.
If MS removes CoD from PS, Sony would lose 30% of that money and MS would lose 70% of that money. Only a portion of these PS CoD users, a tiny portion of the PS total players, would leave PS. And only a portion of them don't already have a gaming PC or Xbox. Most of the PS players would remain on PS, and the very small portion of them who bought CoD and remain there now would buy other game instead of CoD, so Sony would still get this 30%. So Sony would only lose the 30% of the players who would leave, which is a tiny portion of their total userbase and would replaced in aprox. less than a year with new users.

So by far who would be more negatively affected by removing CoD from PS would be ABK/MS. The regulators know that to remove CoD from PS wouldn't really damage PS, and also know that it wouldn't make finantial sense for MS because the extra players and revenue that would provide to their ecosystem wouldn't compensate by far the one they'd lose from PS.

So the future movement of growth Sony could have with the publisher of those games no longer exists, since that publisher is now owned by a direct platform rival, or a Big Tech company that might keep the games multiplat, but only until they can get something of their own going. Either way it puts Sony in a weak and subservient position as a platform holder because the growth of those IP and those games has to be placed completely in the faith of the companies that now own them. And no matter what, Sony can't engage in growth with that 3P publisher at all because they are no longer an independent entity.
Most Sony studios in the past only worked on a single game at the same time. Now they grew or are growing to work in 3 or 4 games at the same time. Some of the games made by these studios sell over 20M units on PS, which is more than what CoD sells on PS. And Sony gets 100% from them, instead of 30%.

This movement of increasing the staff of their already existing studios will generate Sony more yearly revenue than what ABK generated yearly to Sony. And that will be on top of other strategies to grow like acquisitions, 3rd party deals, 2nd party deals, movies/tv shows/pc ports/mobile/eSports/etc, betting more on MP and GaaS etc.

This 3P publisher, MS, will continue publishing on PS. But the money Sony invested on CoD for marketing now will be invested instead in other of the many top AAA games that are out there in PS.

And your assertion, and deafening quickness to buy into Phil Spencer's marketing spiel, is hilarious considering the CMA called Microsoft on that bluff and said, if it's really just about King, why not divest COD?
Only you said it's just about King.

MS wants to buy everything, so will try to buy everything. King would give them more new players and profits than CoD, but CoD would give make their 1st party and GP lineup more attractive. So MS wants both.

That market data is based on the past. A past that can very easily change, especially in a quickly changing market.
No, the facts are facts, the long term trends don't easily change and gaming isn't a quickly changing market. This is why profesionals make forecasts with projections of data from the past and this is why they are pretty accurate.

To ignore the facts and data of the past to make forecasts of the future is only for fan guesses.

There is almost no way of knowing if Microsoft's provided data has been completely honest and transparent;
They take months to analyze these things because they verify a lot of stuff both with internal MS, ABK, Sony, etc. numbers (finantials, accountability numbers) and also with the market data provided by NPD, GSD etc plus market analysis firms like Newzoo, IDG and so on.

at best there are probably some white lies mixed in with things they've mentioned.
Yes, there may be some minor ones. But they can't lie about the amount the important one like consoles sold, games sold, revenue and operating income made, market share, amount of game subs, deals signed with/paid to 3rd parties.

I don't really know what you are being here, but I do know you're being a lot like @Welfare in how subservient you are to any data that can easily confirm your pre-existing biases in the line of this discussion, in your cases even going as far as to agree with something a known liar like Phil Spencer has said, unironically, just to keep thinking Xbox will forever stay in the same place forever no matter how many publishers Microsoft buys, and that Sony is forever impervious to any loss of independent 3P publishers because you read hard into some forecasts for growth that probably don't even account for a very aggressive Microsoft in the market (or anything out of the ordinary).
My bias as Sony fan is that I would prefer to keep CoD on PS and if possible not bought by MS. And I'd like to see Sony buying Capcom, my favority publisher.

But I look at the factual data and it says what it says: that CoD being acquired and even if going full console exclusive basically won't change things in the console market. And that looking at the bigger picture of the complete gaming market the acquisition is even less important and that in that global complete context for MS is more important the acquisition of King than CoD. Because in addition to give them more new users and profits mobile is a way bigger market that has a bigger growth, meaning that in the long term the growth in mobile will be even more important.

And that Capcom is in a position where very likely won't want to sell, and that gave the SF movie rights to a company that isn't Sony/PlayStation produtions, which makes me think they don't plan to sell to Sony, and that the likely Capcom acquisition price would be likely bigger than the remaining Sony budget, and that Sonys acquisition strategies until now aren't in line with acquiring big publishers like Capcom.

That is the difference between Microsoft and Sony, and it's the reason why a large majority would be rather fine with Sony acquiring the publishers I mentioned, but be very wary of Microsoft doing the same. Historical precedent matters.
There are many differences between MS and Sony.

But regarding acquisitions, the difference is that most acquired Sony games become way more successful than they have been before after being acquired. While in the case of MS in most cases they aren't capable to repeat at MS with new games the success they had with games made before joining MS.

And that happens because MS focuses on acquiring big brands, big names to get attention even if the key talent who made them big isn't already there, while Sony focuses instead on acquiring proven talent capable of making top tier games and new IPs.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022

Xbox series s and x lost to ps4

Bake Off Giggle GIF by PBS

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
China dragging what? Tencent supported the acquisition and -if MS is acquiring the 100% of ABK- sold to MS all the ABK shares that Tencent had and apparently their regulator is on track to aprove it:

https://www.thegamer.com/china-expected-approve-microsoft-activision-merger/
The article mentioned that China's regulatory authority was going to wait on comments from other groups (Apple and NetEase?) Which is weird to me since neither Microsoft or AB have a direct presence in that market.

Edit: The real story in those Japan sales charts: Will Switch across all models break 30 million in Japan? How many modern generations of Playstation do you have to combine to equal that?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The article mentioned that China's regulatory authority was going to wait on comments from other groups (Apple and NetEase?) Which is weird to me since neither Microsoft or AB have a direct presence in that market.
Apple, Netease, MS and ABK all are big players of mobile gaming market. And mobile gaming in China is super big. In fact it's the top 1 country in mobile gaming worldwide. So yes, it should be a big deal for them.

In China they don't give a fuck about consoles because it's a tiny market in China.

But MS+ABK are less important in China for mobile gaming than they are outside, so very likely they will approve the acquisition, specially when Tencent, the gaming biggest publisher and platform holder in China supports the acquisition.

Also Tencent is the top 1 and buys a lot of stuff, so it wouldn't make sense to complain because someone who is way under them buys someone that won't affect them at all. ABK and MS affect Tencent way less than what MS and ABK affect PS.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Apple, Netease, MS and ABK all are big players of mobile gaming market. And mobile gaming in China is super big. In fact it's the top 1 country in mobile gaming worldwide. So yes, it should be a big deal for them.

In China they don't give a fuck about consoles because it's a tiny market in China.

But MS+ABK are less important in China for mobile gaming than they are outside, so very likely they will approve the acquisition, specially when Tencent, the gaming biggest publisher and platform holder in China supports the acquisition.

Also Tencent is the top 1 and buys a lot of stuff, so it wouldn't make sense to complain because someone who is way under them buys someone that won't affect them at all. ABK and MS affect Tencent way less than what MS and ABK affect PS.
How is ABK a big player, I thought they didn't even have market access and had other companies publishing their mobile games over there? And Microsoft's mobile efforts are small, so far anyway.