Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
UfuLuqu.jpg

How did I know you were going to say this? None of those games has bad gameplay, not even close.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
How did I know you were going to say this? None of those games has bad gameplay, not even close.

Please don't say at any point you're a gamer, you're just a child.
I never said they had bad gameplay.. did I?

Is this what you guys do? Just completely fill in bullshit to serve your narratives that anyone who doesn't agree with you fullstop is a hater?

And you probably knew I was going to say that... because you already knew it's the truth.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes, my opinion is my opinion. I wasn't aware that I said anyone else had to feel the same as I do.

I'm not sure why you're exactly always referring to "NPC story choices"... it's like that's the only thing you can come up with?

But using that example, I'd vastly prefer to engage a character, be able to make different choices which affect and create different outcomes. For example say if I'm playing and I can affect the enemy's feelings towards me in a positive or negative way BEFORE we fight, it could make the fight easier or harder for me... or not happen at all. Or perhaps the way I act in a particular area might affect the way the residents of that area view me and they might make my life harder or easier by telling me or not telling me hints or secrets, or charging me more for items/weapons/skills... ect.. ect..

THAT is more interesting as far as gameplay goes. And before anyone says it.... I am NOT saying that all games need to do that... of course there's times when a person just wants to experience a good story and good gameplay... but again the key word is EXCEPTIONAL. Let's demand they raise the bar.

Im not saying those things are bad. I love NPC story choices and branch off’s. I wish games like Ghost of Tsushima or Spiderman went that direction to make the world more engaging. But I also hate people lumping cinematic gamers into one thing.

I find what Rockstar did with RDR2 with the open world, was exceptional and they kept the core gameplay/combat good.
What Naughty Dog did by going from cinematic to great acton scenes and gameplay exceptional. No PC developer was close to that. In action gameplay segments, voice acting, facial animations. It was fun And exceptional at the time.

As long as guys are shititng on cinematic games, Im gonna point out that having NPC’s conversations isn’t world breaking either…. People shitting on one and then praising the other like its the true elite way are kinda… elitist….

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Is this what you guys do? Just completely fill in bullshit to serve your narratives that anyone who doesn't agree with you fullstop is a hater?

And you probably knew I was going to say that... because you already knew it's the truth.

No but you imply it with comments like: Just cinematic bullshit. Implying its bullshit. And because it has cinematic. Its bullshit lol.
Then you post a pic of PS games lumping them all the same lol.

Expect the same treatment about the games you like. The whole narrative about Cinematic games is getting old, especially lumping them together. But its mostly from PS haters, which is fine if thats your preference. But saying TLOU is the same as Ghost of Tshushima because they have cinematic is just incorrect lol. Games have always have segments of talking or cutscenes.

So going by Cinematic haters logic. Skyrim and Witcher 3 are the same.

Average combat - Check
Standing still and talking to NPC’s - Check
Gamebook-CYOA NPC choices- Check.
Wow another NPC talking simulator bullshit with average combat by a PC developer…. Check

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Im not saying those things are bad. I love NPC story choices and branch off’s. I wish games like Ghost of Tsushima or Spiderman went that direction to make the world more engaging. But I also hate people lumping cinematic gamers into one thing.

I find what Rockstar did with RDR2 with the open world, was exceptional and they kept the core gameplay/combat good.
What Naughty Dog did by going from cinematic to great acton scenes and gameplay exceptional. No PC developer was close to that. In action gameplay segments, voice acting, facial animations. It was fun And exceptional at the time.

As long as guys are shititng on cinematic games, Im gonna point out that having NPC’s conversations isn’t world breaking either…. People shitting on one and then praising the other like its the true elite way are kinda… elitist….
I think you believe those games were a lot better than they were, BECAUSE of the presentation and visual quality. A lot of those games aren't doing anything special gameplay-wise.

I think TLOU P2 is phenomenal gameplay-wise, and obviously production-wise. But I would have easily preferred a hit to the production values, to have a game where instead of opening the door and watching a scene of Joel getting smashed.. I could have opened the door, had the choice to fight and possibly save him, changing the rest of the experience..

And also, let's not act like a lot of Sony's AAA games don't settle into the same type of game. They simply do. They're VERY high quality... but being high quality production-wise and visually... does not mean they're exceptional where it matters.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
No but you imply it with comments like: Just cinematic bullshit. Implying its bullshit. And because it has cinematic. Its bullshit lol.
Then you post a pic of PS games lumping them all the same lol.

Expect the same treatment about the games you like. The whole narrative about Cinematic games is getting old, especially lumping them together. But its mostly from PS haters, which is fine if thats your preference. But saying TLOU is the same as Ghost of Tshushima because they have cinematics is just incorrect lol
There IS a lot of cinematic bullshit out there... which would IMO be better if you actually had control in some way instead of watching cinematics.

And let's be honest, I posted that pic because that's the pic you guys wanted me to post.

I never said I hated any of those games. I love most of them... but they're all similar in formula.. and they all do "visuals and presentation" extremely well.. at the cost of being truly exceptional and different in other areas.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sure pal.

Yes, a game where you can talk to the NPC and interact with them revealing different choices which affect the story... is better/more interesting than watching a cinematic of an NPC not giving you any choice....

.. I mean, duh.

If thats your thing. I enjoy them. But clearly you think its s one and done, choices are always better. But maybe a fixed story can be a good thing too?

Otherwise all CYOA books are better than books with a linear stories….

Reactions: Remij

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There IS a lot of cinematic bullshit out there... which would IMO be better if you actually had control in some way instead of watching cinematics.
I dont know.
Im not saying I love all cutscenes but its been a part of gaming for decades.

People did complain when people had some kind of control, like walking and having a conversation.

I dont know what RPG’s you guys played, but growing up and playing FF, Dragon Quest, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, Torment, etc was full of standing still, not interacting and pressing x to carry on long ass conversations…. For hours and hours.

As someone who went through that, I wouldnt complain about a cutscene or walking conversation lol

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
If thats your thing. I enjoy them. But clearly you think its s one and done, choices are always better. But maybe a fixed story can be a good thing too?

Otherwise all CYOA books are better than books with a linear stories….
For sure, I had said before that nothing says every game needs to give players choices at all times... That wouldn't be great either.. but I think it's quite clear that a lot of these games focus on visuals and presentation at the cost of being truly exceptional in other ways.

When people think next gen... they think about stunning visuals, and presentation. Ray traced this and that.. tons of polygons and instant loading...

But what about next generation physics? Next generation choice, and impact? Next generation depth?

It's just a simple matter of fact, that when you start looking at these AAA games... they're afraid to experiment, to innovate... not because the developers don't want to, or couldn't think of anything better... but because they're essentially forced to stick with what's known to work.. and that's why you've seen a convergence of Sony's biggest AAA franchises into a similar type of game. This is why I said console devs look to PC devs to see what innovations work.. and then eventually scale them up. When a game like Baldur's Gate 3 gets THIS much attention and praise... it will make console publishers/developers look a think... ok this stuff CAN work, and potentially allow for some games to take more risks in this way.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I never said I hated any of those games. I love most of them... but they're all similar in formula.. and they all do "visuals and presentation" extremely well.. at the cost of being truly exceptional and different in other areas.

I guess thats where we differ. I think ND did exceptional with the attention to detail, the combat in TLOU2, and the action scenes like the island escape etc. No1 really does action scenes like ND did with U2 or TLOU. You had imitations after like Tomb Raider. It was something quite new

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I guess thats where we differ. I think ND did exceptional with the attention to detail, the combat in TLOU2, and the action scenes like the island escape etc. No1 really does action scenes like ND did with U2 or TLOU. You had imitations after like Tomb Raider. It was something quite new
There are very few who can match Naughty Dog. I'm not speaking about them specifically. TLOU2 is exceptional in almost every way. But it's a "safe" game in that it pushes things further without daring to go too far.

Again, nothing wrong with that. I get it.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I dont know.
Im not saying I love all cutscenes but its been a part of gaming for decades.

People did complain when people had some kind of control, like walking and having a conversation.

I dont know what RPG’s you guys played, but growing up and playing FF, Dragon Quest, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, Torment, etc was full of standing still, not interacting and pressing x to carry on long ass conversations…. For hours and hours.

As someone who went through that, I wouldnt complain about a cutscene or walking conversation lol
I'm not complaining about having to watch a cutscene... lol

But speaking about RPGs.. FF is one of my favorite series of all time. FF7 is literally my favorite game of all time.. just eking out Super Mario 64. I grew up with all those games you mentioned and more. But I also grew up with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Ultima, Torment, Fallout classics, KOTOR, Mass Effect... ect ect.

There's room for all kinds.. but there's more ways to be truly exceptional than in presentation. In a game like FF16.. the visuals and production values went up leaps and bounds... but at the cost of RPG systems and gameplay variety. If you love action games, the combat will probably be great to you... but if you value character build diversity, and tactical RPG elements.. you're left wanting.

I'll take FF7 origial, over FF7 Remake ANY day of the week.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
hey mods why was the Nhomnom guy banned? He was always fair and his critiques were valid, meanwhile you let people like Remij ,who clearly hates good video games, stay in here and troll

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022

Again... I didn't say those games didn't have good gameplay... :rolleyes:

hey mods why was the Nhomnom guy banned? He was always fair and his critiques were valid, meanwhile you let people like Remij ,who clearly hates good video games, stay in here and troll
He was probably banned because some posters like you couldn't accept any criticism of your beloved games unless someone sugarcoats it and spoon feeds it to you like a baby who wont eat his vegetables. Open up, here comez da airplanz!

How the hell am I trolling? I'm literally engaging in the discussion and expressing my viewpoint. If I get banned for not having the exact same viewpoint as you and "clearly hating good games" then that will be extremely pathetic...

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Again... I didn't say those games didn't have good gameplay... :rolleyes:

He was probably banned because some posters like you couldn't accept any criticism of your beloved games unless someone sugarcoats it and spoon feeds it to you like a baby who wont eat his vegetables. Open up, here comez da airplanz!

How the hell am I trolling? I'm literally engaging in the discussion and expressing my viewpoint. If I get banned for not having the exact same viewpoint as you and "clearly hating good games" then that will be extremely pathetic...
You're not fooling anyone, keep up with the slick remarks and it'll only be a matter of time before people catch on.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
You're not fooling anyone, keep up with the slick remarks and it'll only be a matter of time before people catch on.
Where did I say those games have bad gameplay? Are you going to answer that simple question?

Because I said this before... and this is EXACTLY what you are doing right now...

Typical behavior. If you don't like something specifically as much as I like something... you're a hater and trolling. It's that type of behavior that has a person like Nhomnom banned... You simply can't have a differing opinion around here it seems.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Where did I say those games have bad gameplay? Are you going to answer that simple question?

Because I said this before... and this is EXACTLY what you are doing right now...

Typical behavior. If you don't like something specifically as much as I like something... you're a hater and trolling. It's that type of behavior that has a person like Nhomnom banned... You simply can't have a differing opinion around here it seems.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Didn't I just tell you that you're not fooling anyone? You must be bored 😂

• fire
Reactions: The Icon