Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Truly incredible. As usual, console oriented developers will have to look to PC oriented developers to find any inspiration and make things that are truly exceptional... not just cinematic bullshit.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Truly incredible. As usual, console oriented developers will have to look to PC oriented developers to find any inspiration and make things that are truly acceptional... not just cinematic bullshit.

If “Cinematic bullshit” is followed with good combat and gameplay then Im all for it.

I dont get dweebs who complain about cutscenes, walking and talking and “cinematic“ segments but wont complain about games that make you stand in front of an NPC to talk over and over again followed by mediocre combat…..

If conversations with NPC’s are so important and choices go play a Gamebook/CYOA lol

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Are you implying this game doesn't have good combat and gameplay?
Not this game. But alot fo WRPG’s yes.
But you are implying that “cinematic” games dont have good gameplay, when they can do

Last edited:

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
What cinematic games are these that don't good Gameplay?
I never said they don't have good gameplay... I said they don't have truly exceptional gameplay.. and they all share the same "cinematic open-world action-adventure" formula.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A lot of them don't... that's why I said "truly exceptional". 😐

I was mostly going for the comment of having Console developers go to PC developers for inspiration instead of Cinematic games lol

I mean lets look at Games of the years the last 10 years and you’ll see exceptional games that won game of the year from console developers, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Zelda team, Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Santa Monica.

Witcher 3 was PC developers though, but again the combat was shite compared to those “cinematic” Games. So you can go around talking to NPC’s and having choices… whoop de do. Like I said, go read a gamebook/CYOA if thats all that matters

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
If “Cinematic bullshit” is followed with good combat and gameplay then Im all for it.

I dont get dweebs who complain about cutscenes, walking and talking and “cinematic“ segments but wont complain about games that make you stand in front of an NPC to talk over and over again followed by mediocre combat…..

If conversations with NPC’s are so important and choices go play a Gamebook/CYOA lol
You mad or something? 😕

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I never said they don't have good gameplay... I said they don't have truly exceptional gameplay.. and they all share the same "cinematic open-world action-adventure" formula.

And what games might those be?
Also, you did say that

But you are implying that “cinematic” games that dont have good gameplay, when they can do

A lot of them don't

This is a simple question

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I was mostly going for the comment of having Console developers go to PC developers for inspiration instead of Cinematic games lol

I mean lets look at Games of the years the last 10 years and you’ll see exceptional games that won game of the year from console developers, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Zelda team, Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Santa Monica.

Witcher 3 was PC developers though, but again the combat was shite compared to those “cinematic” Games. So you can go around talking to NPC’s and having choices… whoop de do. Like I said, go read a gamebook/CYOA if thats all that matters
It's a simple fact that games innovate and evolve more on PC... and console developers eventually ape those ideas and throw AAA money at them to polish them up. It doesn't make them any better.. because it completely misses the point.

Look at anything actually innovative... It came from the PC scene..

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
The Unoriginal Troll Post Template. Keep it up and we'll have to miss your not so insightful nor useful contributions.
And what games might those be?
Also, you did say that

This is a simple question
UfuLuqu.jpg

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Whats exceptional gameplay to you?
Maybe your opinion about it isnt the same as others.

For me.
Combat gameplay —-> Over NPC story choices and conversations for me.

So Id rather have a cutscene or walking conversation followed by good combat, a puzzle or action scene etc like God of War, Uncharted.

Whereas in Witcher 3, where Im also in a “cinematic” experience where I have to stand still and talk to an NPC, listen to them, make a choice. But its followed pretty average at best combat and rinse and repeat. Same as a Skyrim. Or Alot fo WRPG’s.

Why is one looked at cinematic and the other as some deep gameplay… Yet one of the suffers from actual average game/combat Witcher 3

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Typical hater lol. Cinematic is bad, but standing still and talking to NPC’s is exceptional….

Days gone and Horizon are open world where as God of War is semi open and Uncharted is linear. All with different combat.

“Oooowie I can talk and have conversations with NPC’s with bad voice acting and make choices…amazing gameplay” ……….
Go read a gameplay/CYOA.

Take it from someone who loves RPG’s of all kinds. You cinematic haters are ridiculous. If you’re a real RPG gamers, you’ve probably spent thousands of hours talking to NPC’s.
Theres no different between that and a cutscene. Its just one of them is done excepttionally well by the likes of Sony and Rockstar. And Playstation haters try to make it a negative thing.

Reactions: Yobo

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Whats exceptional gameplay to you?
Maybe your opinion about it isnt the same as others.

For me.
Combat gameplay —-> Over NPC story choices and conversations for me.

So Id rather have a cutscene or walking conversation followed by good combat, a puzzle or action scene etc like God of War, Uncharted.

Whereas in Witcher 3, where Im also in a “cinematic” experience where I have to stand still and talk to an NPC, listen to them, make a choice. But its followed pretty average at best combat and rinse and repeat. Same as a Skyrim. Or Alot fo WRPG’s.

Why is one looked at cinematic and the other as some deep gameplay… Yet one of the suffers from actual average game/combat Witcher 3
Yes, my opinion is my opinion. I wasn't aware that I said anyone else had to feel the same as I do.

I'm not sure why you're exactly always referring to "NPC story choices"... it's like that's the only thing you can come up with?

But using that example, I'd vastly prefer to engage a character, be able to make different choices which affect and create different outcomes. For example say if I'm playing and I can affect the enemy's feelings towards me in a positive or negative way BEFORE we fight, it could make the fight easier or harder for me... or not happen at all. Or perhaps the way I act in a particular area might affect the way the residents of that area view me and they might make my life harder or easier by telling me or not telling me hints or secrets, or charging me more for items/weapons/skills... ect.. ect..

THAT is more interesting as far as gameplay goes. And before anyone says it.... I am NOT saying that all games need to do that... of course there's times when a person just wants to experience a good story and good gameplay... but again the key word is EXCEPTIONAL. Let's demand they raise the bar.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Typical hater lol. Cinematic is bad, but standing still and talking to NPC’s is exceptional….

Days gone and Horizon are open world where as God of War is semi open and Uncharted is linear. All with different combat.

“Oooowie I can talk and have conversations with NPC’s with bad voice acting and make choices…amazing gameplay” ……….
Go read a gameplay/CYOA
Sure pal.

Yes, a game where you can talk to the NPC and interact with them revealing different choices which affect the story... is better/more interesting than watching a cinematic of an NPC not giving you any choice....

.. I mean, duh.