Bend Studio’s Next Game, linkedin job advertisement. Definitely looks to be "Live Service".

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sony Bend made syphon filter that at its best sold a couple of million. Lets not make Sony Bend a better studio than it actually is, Splinter cell and Metal Gear are the better espionage games. Their best game to date has been days gone and you know how the discourse regarding that was at launch, A great game brought down by "gaming journalism" , representation politics and technical issues. It took 2 years after release for the game to gain traction and actual fans. In case of Days Gone the consumers are as much to blame as the gaming media pundits. Oh what could have been !

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
The Days Gone 1 directors said this is totally false. They said Sony always were very supportive with them even after the media reviews, and Sony asked for the PC port and a Days Gone movie plus included the game in the PS Plus collection, basically a "best of PS4" list by Sony. Hermen also greenlighted the first pitch Bend sent them. Sony was happy with Days Gone.

They said that if just after DG1 they went to make a new IP instead of DG2 or something else like Syphon Filter was because the Bend studio head wanted that, not because Sony blocked a DG2 release.

And this doesn't mean that they will never make a DG2 sequel. They still can do it later, either with this team after the new IP or maybe growing enough the studio to create a 2nd team to work on it.

PC game development isn't negatively affecting anything, they are breaking all time records in basically all arease.

If someone leaves PS for PC is losing many games available in PS and not in PC. Plus will have to wait if the next PS Studios game gets released on PC or not and if it's the case to wait monhs or years, to maybe later realize his/her PC isn't powerful enough or has some compatibility issue.
I think it's a crime it hasn't had a ps5 native upgrade when they've released it on pc

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sony Bend made syphon filter that at its best sold a couple of million. Lets not make Sony Bend a better studio than it actually is, Splinter cell and Metal Gear are the better espionage games. Their best game to date has been days gone and you know how the discourse regarding that was at launch, A great game brought down by "gaming journalism" , representation politics and technical issues. It took 2 years after release for the game to gain traction and actual fans. In case of Days Gone the consumers are as much to blame as the gaming media pundits. Oh what could have been !

Syphon Filter would effectively be a reboot. But I agree with Syphon Filter absolutely never having been a big deal. Not a slight tho. It’s so many years since it might as well be a new IP.

I mean… I wouldn’t hate it if they tried making it or something similar. We don’t really have splinter cell and metal gear anymore… snake eater remake don’t count.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PlayStation now has the bulk of their workforce working on GaaS at this point, there is no going back and for every Helldivers 2 (a game that was already happening regardless of their recent pivot) there are going to be 10 fops and canceled projects.

Their gaming pipeline is now completely different from what it was during the PS4 generation and if not for the Insomniac acquisition/productivity and the Final Fantasy deals everyone would've realized at this point that it has been a complete disaster.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
there are going to be 10 fops and canceled projects.
And a canceled project in this case would be better news. Imagine thinking a canceled game is good news. 5 years ago you wouldn't even think about it.

The biggest issue is that it will take them over 5 years to correct course IF they decide to do so. That's a lot of time to screw around.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
And a canceled project in this case would be better news. Imagine thinking a canceled game is good news. 5 years ago you wouldn't even think about it.

The biggest issue is that it will take them over 5 years to correct course IF they decide to do so. That's a lot of time to screw around.
These bean counters aren't going to correct anything, when all these failures start impact their profits they are going to get desperate and completely ruin PlayStation as has already happened to most other big publishers.

It's pretty clear that they are all about short term decisions at the expense of the long term health of their platform. Right now PS4 momentum is creating an illusion of competence and success.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PlayStation now has the bulk of their workforce working on GaaS at this point, there is no going back and for every Helldivers 2 (a game that was already happening regardless of their recent pivot) there are going to be 10 fops and canceled projects.

Their gaming pipeline is now completely different from what it was during the PS4 generation and if not for the Insomniac acquisition/productivity and the Final Fantasy deals everyone would've realized at this point that it has been a complete disaster.

I dont think they are.

-ND making new IP.

-Santa Monic, new single player IP

-Guerilla. Horizon 3 and Horizon onine

-Insomniac: Wolverine, Venom and Spiderman 3, Xmen in the future etc
(Even though the online spiderman game looked good)

-Sucker Punch: GOT2 - I hope they make a multiplayermode because the last one was surprising good.

-MediaMolecule: No1 knows lol

-Asobi - Probably Astrobot

-Bend- New Gaas game

Its most the news studios like making stuff like Concord, Marathon Etc and Bend. And that average looking Heist game

If they manage to make something like FF14, Helldivers 2, Destiny, Rocketleague etc, it will be good. They are well received games, have a single player element and make money.
If they can give me a single player experience that keeps going, why not.

Why I was excited about Factions 2, ND would of done a great job, Sony just didnt give them the resources needed to make it and make some other single player games, stupid of them not to give them what they needed in 2019/2020 when they decided to make it a solo game. ND would of cooked something awesome

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Well, we'll find out. Must be considered good if it changed to live service.

So far Gran Turismo & Hell Divers only 2 successes.

Bungie awful, an awful purchase that wasted money. (Only saving grace they have the talent to do another studio & hire them for other studios)

Concord - ???

Fair Games - ???

Bend - ??

I don't know based on probability some of these gotta flop right. Unless They have nailed the gaps in the market. But there's a flop somewhere.
Bungee is massive L. They are not fixing that. Based on Bungie's track record.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just waiting for people to remember that Sucker Punch is also working on what sounds like a live service game.

The job listing title alone is enough to tell us that Sucker Punch is working, or at least is interested in working on multiplayer titles, but there are some more details in the listing that delve deeper into the role. There is mention of “cloud systems, peer-to-peer, and peer-to-server communication” as well as crafting gameplay features that “empower online gameplay experiences”.

In fact, the job listing specifically mentions a "spectacular multiplayer game", which heavily implies that this will be a primarily multiplayer game, rather than just a multiplayer mode attached to another title.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024

I can see this, the investment vs. the return is going to make them greatly rethink the importance of what they create. Wouldn't surprise me if single player games are less prominent or at the very least will have service based aspects to them to prolong community and engagement.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah the graphics are already top notch load times are abysmal though so instant loading with SSD & dualsense features would be great

So they did a PC release to leverage better load times but never patched it for their new console to leverage its SSD? Smells like a whiff of second-class citizenry to me.

Just waiting for people to remember that Sucker Punch is also working on what sounds like a live service game.

As usual I'd wait for more details but the bits & pieces of circumstantial evidence all seem to be pointing towards a certain direction.

Not that I care too much anymore. I've said what I felt would be best for these companies so much that at this point just feels like I'd be repeating things over again. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. And I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do, what's best for me.

The only unfortunate part there is, that increasingly seems like it won't involve certain platforms nearly as much as I'd of preferred.

It's funny to bring up the FF deals because everyone would have you think Sony are locking up timed exclusives for every major 3P game under the sun when in reality it's "just" mainline Final Fantasy games. Ever Crisis? Day 1 multiplat. All of S-E's non-mainline FF games have been multiplats Day 1. SF6? Day 1 multiplat. Avatar? Hogwarts? Elden Ring? Alan Wake 2? Tekken 8? RE4 Remake? I could go on and on, all of them Day 1 remakes.

It makes Irman Khan's BS rumors from back in 2020 look even worst today because you'd THINK we'd of seen at least one or two of those games, especially Japanese ones, have skipped Xbox if that rumor were true. But outside of FF XVI and VII Rebirth, the only other "notable" 3P exclusives Sony've had this gen in terms of big well-known IP were just Bethesda games, and not even established IP, but new games like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. Both of which I'd classify as high-production AA games at most.

So yeah if you take away XVI and VII Rebirth, and Insomniac, exclusives-wise for PS5 you are left with cross-gen 1P AAA releases, a single 1P AAA that's a remake, a single 1P high-production AA new IP, a remake to a game that was already remastered on PS4, a remaster of a game that launched the same year of PS5's release, and a small handful 3P AA indie games.

For the first four years of a likely eight-year console generation....

It's not the content itself that's been an issue, but the balance of content. The balance and quantity issues are just exacerbated console-side with the PC ports, since there hasn't been nearly enough new coming in for the console to balance out once-exclusives now getting ported to other, increasingly competitive platforms.

I'm just observing the trend and I'd like to think it's being reversed but there is absolutely no way I'm going to say that with my chest until it's publicly stated and shown. When actions meet words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I dont think they are.

-ND making new IP.

-Santa Monic, new single player IP

-Guerilla. Horizon 3 and Horizon onine

-Insomniac: Wolverine, Venom and Spiderman 3, Xmen in the future etc
(Even though the online spiderman game looked good)

-Sucker Punch: GOT2 - I hope they make a multiplayermode because the last one was surprising good.

-MediaMolecule: No1 knows lol

-Asobi - Probably Astrobot

-Bend- New Gaas game

Its most the news studios like making stuff like Concord, Marathon Etc and Bend. And that average looking Heist game

If they manage to make something like FF14, Helldivers 2, Destiny, Rocketleague etc, it will be good. They are well received games, have a single player element and make money.
If they can give me a single player experience that keeps going, why not.

Why I was excited about Factions 2, ND would of done a great job, Sony just didnt give them the resources needed to make it and make some other single player games, stupid of them not to give them what they needed in 2019/2020 when they decided to make it a solo game. ND would of cooked something awesome
Haven
Firewalk
Bungie (massive studio).
London Studio
Huge multiplayer project canceled inside ND (your of development down the drain)
Likely canceled project inside Insomniac
Multiple projects involving Guerrilla (Horizon MMO and some sort of multiplayer shooter).

To me it seem crazy that you assume Bend would be able to create something like FF14, Helldivers 2, Destiny, Rocketleague. To me they seem completelly unsuited for that.

If even Bend is now pivoting to GaaS how do we know other studios aren't doing it as well? Pretty much all we have officially announced from internal studios are GaaS (Farigame$, Concord and Marathon).

There is also the classic slide by Sony, that shows their projection for Traditional vs Live Service investments:
Screenshot_2023_05_23_at_5.28.54_PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022