Best Buy Exiting the Physical Media Biz (not games) in 2024 (Online & In-Store) & Walmart has begun removing physical games. Selling for 3 cents.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
75% of xbox sales are Series S. They are almost entirely digital. There's no reason to sell physical Xbox games. No need to base this on any rumor.
Bro we know the stats. Digital in general has taken over with many devs saying their breakdown, in sales is 70% digital and 30% physical. This isnt an Xbox situation but a video game industry one.

We are all cognizant that in the end the situation will be similar to the movie industry.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Is this guy reliable?

I wouldn’t be surprised since the majority of Xbox’s are the S and Xbox doesn’t even have physical releases of their own first party games

• Surprised
Reactions: Entropi

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Terrible news for Xbox. One purpose retail displays serve is advertising. Reminding the audience that your product exists is something Xbox will now have to spend more marketing $$$ on, and that budget was sliced up like pepperoni when they ran into financial woes. The ABK acquisition will put even more pressure on actually turning a profit for once.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Terrible news for Xbox. One purpose retail displays serve is advertising. Reminding the audience that your product exists is something Xbox will now have to spend more marketing $$$ on, and that budget was sliced up like pepperoni when they ran into financial woes. The ABK acquisition will put even more pressure on actually turning a profit for once.
Will also lead to Walmart pushing the other two since they can then go on to sell games too.

I wonder how Gamestop will react to the concept of a console with no used games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow2027

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
If this is true this say more about Xbox than it does physical media being phased out. That platform just can't get its fanbase to buy games. Xbox as a console platform is going to be put to pasture for real if stuff like what Wal Mart is rumor to be doing is true. Microsoft doesn't promote the console enough anyways so when customers aren't seeing Xbox games on store shelves it's a wrap.

Reactions: Shadow2027

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This sucks.
Some local retailers here already do not sel physical games locally.
I am getting all my ps4/5 stuff online from smaller retailers. It's always cheaper than on psn, usually some physical goodies and pre-orders are usually day early.
Yeah, I was playing elden ring and ac6 day earlier on ps5 and have nice boxes.
With physical, you can also play version 1.0 if you want. I can play bloodborne 1.0 or fight radahn 1.0 if I want. I think that's important and interesting.
Sure, patches you have to download online but it doesn't matter much. yeah, I need to download a patch. you need to download whole game.
If sony servers die, after 2 weeks your digital purchases will be invalid. My installed and patched game will still work after I put in the disc.

also, love this website:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Everything is conspiring to kill physical discs. It's one of the last things I really like about console gaming, and it's already greatly devalued from 10-15 years ago. Between games working like shit without their "day-1" patch, and in-box content reduced down to a 1 week free trial of PSN, all the game publishers really worked to make the disc version as unappealing as possible.

Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
btw.
In recent leaked sony documents, it is shown that digital is only ~35% of all sales.
That's what I expected. Al the people I know and the general feeling you can get, is that big AAA games and especially Sony games mainly sell on disc.
New god of war comes out? Sure as hell most people want to have that on disc and on shelf.
And their documents confirm that

image.png

all these post "digital sells below 10%" was bullshit. People buy physical for big games. of course they do. It's cheaper, you get more what you pay for and more control over your purchase.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No, they only sell home electronics and appliances. I would occasionally buy games there but its a terrible place to buy, say, a tv, when you could save hundreds of dollars going to Costco/BJ's/Sam's Club. Like even if you just get a one month membership, buy the tv and leave you still save money.

Question though, I notice that games were conspicuously left out of this article. Are physical game sales continuing?
Best buy has really good customer service and warranties though, unless costco has a VERY significant price advantage, like 15%+, I'd take Best Buy for big appliance purchases like TVs

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Is this retailer chain big?

I heard in US the rate of digital media is 80-90%, while physical MOP probably not much for retailers anyway, considering their price dropped off really fast, especially video games. Warehouse, transport costs. Probably not much.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

I heard in US the rate of digital media is 80-90%, while physical MOP probably not much for retailers anyway, considering their price dropped off really fast, especially video games. Warehouse, transport costs. Probably not much.
Its pretty big. Once upon a time like 10-15 years ago whenever a new shopping center was built they would always put a Best Buy in.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

yes. in the US, it's the main national electronics retailer. living on the east coast, i would primarily buy console discs at best buy, walmart or target. the gaming-specific chain gamestop is trash. target's selection is usually bad. so it kind of leaves walmart as the default place to buy games on disc. the west coast might have a few more options.