Best Buy Exiting the Physical Media Biz (not games) in 2024 (Online & In-Store) & Walmart has begun removing physical games. Selling for 3 cents.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Costco has a 90 days no questions asked return on TVs. At equal price I would buy there, as I did in the past.
The only problem with buying from Costco is that sometimes Costco models have features cut to lower the price. My 55” Sony didn’t come with 3-D glasses and had the bare bones remote, as well as not having the right processor for the HDR-enabling update to be made available for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
So ... again I ask. You think stores are cutting out entire sections from their stores because they are doing well? You think ALL of the numbers are fudged?

Hardly anybody shops at retail for physical media anymore. That’s why. BestBuy being one of the places that’s not exactly popular anymore. That doesn’t mean it’s
not doing well.

Movie studios wouldn’t be making blurays if they were not selling. Boutique labels wouldn’t be doing all those obscure blurays. Physical games would not be made and still hold a large market share if they did not sell.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I buy all my physical games from Amazon anyways, same day delivery
Cheaper
Shrink wrapped

No point in a physical store anymore

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
No they won’t.

You people keep ignoring physical sales presence. It’s not a insignificant market as of right now. Probably won’t ever be.

Consumers like ownership.
Plus physical games are still going strong in Japan too and it seems like Nintendo is contempt to keep doing cartridges or whatever physical format they want still.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Returns are one thing, what about a year in? Best buy will send a tech out to your house to service your tv. It's a lifesaver.
Is that somethng rare in america.

I mean my local small retailer in town will send one to deliver and assamble.

Also cable tvs still prevelant here.

16 Jun 2023
It's disappointing but not all too surprising. Barnes and Noble might just be the last "major" retailer still carrying high quality films.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Best buy has really good customer service and warranties though, unless costco has a VERY significant price advantage, like 15%+, I'd take Best Buy for big appliance purchases like TVs
15 percent? Try like 30 or 40. Source: Me, who brought a tv at BJs last year after going to Best Buy and sneering the prices+ BB employee trying to upsell me on stuff I didn't need/want.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yep, and Xbox will get the most flack because they're going to be releasing first 😄
If they release at around the same time as PS at around the same price their console will offer similar performance. Unless someone has some secret sauce that allows them to do better things for cheaper.

Mind you, the series X has become quite cheap... So go figure, I don't see them adding a third SKU soon.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Also, unrelated from the above, it eventually came out that Best Buy was only ditching film (and music, if they even still stocked CDs) while games were remaining. So a lot of the speculation about "the section getting cut" was bullshit anyway.

Setting that aside, the best place to get games is Amazon, followed by Walmart (who often have new titles cheaper than Gamestop), then your local game store in last place because its run by an asshole who bases all of his prices off pricecharting, won't do fair trades, won't look out for special customer requests.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
15 percent? Try like 30 or 40. Source: Me, who brought a tv at BJs last year after going to Best Buy and sneering the prices+ BB employee trying to upsell me on stuff I didn't need/want.
lol imagine trying to buy things by walking in the door. you have to wait til you get an online price that's competitive, then go in person after you already know what you want.

• sad
Reactions: Zzero

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
These numbers are years out of date. Recent numbers look quite different.

Can't stop what's coming for better or worse.

Serious question ... do people think retail stores are going to stop selling physical media because it's ... doing well?

You're looking at the numbers wrong. Most sales Sony reports are digital because it includes their store. Sales of AAA games are still around 50% physical, more in some cases.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Amazon is my goto for everything nowadays although Best Buy does have some gd deals from.time to time.