Best Buy Exiting the Physical Media Biz (not games) in 2024 (Online & In-Store) & Walmart has begun removing physical games. Selling for 3 cents.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Best buy has really good customer service and warranties though, unless costco has a VERY significant price advantage, like 15%+, I'd take Best Buy for big appliance purchases like TVs
Costco has a 90 days no questions asked return on TVs. At equal price I would buy there, as I did in the past.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I dom't think Sony just going full digital yet,

If they trying to go full digital, they probably would not have incrase the Digital edition price
I reckon next-gen. Knock-on benefit for the companies' bottom lines is encouraging consumers to double-dip and rebuy games digitally.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
btw.
In recent leaked sony documents, it is shown that digital is only ~35% of all sales.
That's what I expected. Al the people I know and the general feeling you can get, is that big AAA games and especially Sony games mainly sell on disc.
New god of war comes out? Sure as hell most people want to have that on disc and on shelf.
And their documents confirm that

image.png

all these post "digital sells below 10%" was bullshit. People buy physical for big games. of course they do. It's cheaper, you get more what you pay for and more control over your purchase.
These numbers are years out of date. Recent numbers look quite different.

Can't stop what's coming for better or worse.

Serious question ... do people think retail stores are going to stop selling physical media because it's ... doing well?

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Serious question ... do people think retail stores are going to stop selling physical media because it's ... doing well?

The digital ratio includes digital only games and DLC. Skewing the numbers.

Recent numbers too indicated physical games make up as much as 50% of sales, sometimes more. The overall market for physical media is doing well actually.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

"years out of date", 2022 is years out of date? 😭😭

And then you link some bs about 4%, no way you actually believe that clickbait headline ....

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Costco has a 90 days no questions asked return on TVs. At equal price I would buy there, as I did in the past.
Returns are one thing, what about a year in? Best buy will send a tech out to your house to service your tv. It's a lifesaver.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The digital ratio includes digital only games and DLC. Skewing the numbers.

Recent numbers too indicated physical games make up as much as 50% of sales, sometimes more. The overall market for physical media is doing well actually.
So ... again I ask. You think stores are cutting out entire sections from their stores because they are doing well? You think ALL of the numbers are fudged?

"years out of date", 2022 is years out of date? 😭😭

And then you link some bs about 4%, no way you actually believe that clickbait headline ....
It's just the numbers. It's 4% of total revenue, not 4% of game sales. Digital splits are like 70/30 and growing quickly in favor of digital. As we've seen.

Again, I am not saying physical or digital is better or worse. I'm merely acknowledging the reality of the world we live in. People clinging to physical and trying to deny what's happening will be in for a rude awakening one day. And sooner rather than later.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
People talk like they want physical media to be gone. You don’t like choice? Ownership? Bunch of loonies.
People want to pay more and have less choice. Physical games don't harm digital users at all.

Truly baffling and I have yet to see an actual argument as to why some people are against physical, other than the bs "better for the environment" excuse, while typing away on their phone or PC, made using materials produced by exploiting both people and the environment.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn I can't remember the last time I went into a store to buy a game. Few years back before Covid only bcus mom and pop store use to break street dates.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It's just the numbers. It's 4% of total revenue, not 4% of game sales. Digital splits are like 70/30 and growing quickly in favor of digital. As we've seen.
Of course it's 4% of revenue....you do know that Sony only makes money from physical games when its THEIR OWN physical games.... Why would physical game revenue be high in a quarter where they didn't even release a new 1st party game?
Again, I am not saying physical or digital is better or worse. I'm merely acknowledging the reality of the world we live in. People clinging to physical and trying to deny what's happening will be in for a rude awakening one day. And sooner rather than later.
The only one not acknowledging reality here is you. The reality is as of 2022, more than 60% of Sony 1st party games are purchased digitally. And they sell better and better physically as the years go on, NOT DECLINING!

Another reality for you, in Europe, in 2023, new game sales are still 50% physical.

Why don't you acknowledge the reality that physical games are far from dead? And that publishers would be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to get rid of it. Which is why Alan Wake 2 didn't sell as well as it should've.

• fire
Reactions: On Demand

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

I trust numbers direct from Sony more considering only these real big titles.

The problem with these numbers from other articles is that they are not apples to apples.
These stats include pc, indie games with no releases on disc and tons of stuff that inflates digital numbers.
Of course psn is selling more because that are selling 100x more games in psn.

When it comes to big games on release, I bet my ass ff7 rebirth will sell more on disc. I already have deluxe preordered

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
People talk like they want physical media to be gone. You don’t like choice? Ownership? Bunch of loonies.
People want to pay more and have less choice. Physical games don't harm digital users at all.

Truly baffling and I have yet to see an actual argument as to why some people are against physical, other than the bs "better for the environment" excuse, while typing away on their phone or PC, made using materials produced by exploiting both people and the environment.
These days, if someone doesn't like something then that means it shouldn't exist 😐 Saw someone in another thread saying that the PSVR2 shouldn't exist. It's like these people care more about corporations than they do themselves. If you don't like something then just ignore it, especially when its something that only benefits gamers and doesn't impact you at all.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Of course it's 4% of revenue....you do know that Sony only makes money from physical games when its THEIR OWN physical games.... Why would physical game revenue be high in a quarter where they didn't even release a new 1st party game?

The only one not acknowledging reality here is you. The reality is as of 2022, more than 60% of Sony 1st party games are purchased digitally. And they sell better and better physically as the years go on, NOT DECLINING!

Another reality for you, in Europe, in 2023, new game sales are still 50% physical.

Why don't you acknowledge the reality that physical games are far from dead? And that publishers would be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to get rid of it. Which is why Alan Wake 2 didn't sell as well as it should've.

Are these console only? Or pc too? Because of course pc will inflate digital sales. That’s just bad stats

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
What do you mean?
If we count all sales of game X on its release and it releases on ps5, pc and Xbox gamepass, then we can’t say it sold this much digitally because pc version does not have physical alternative.
The game can sell 100% physical on ps5 but if it’s selling better on pc? The numbers will say “only 30% of gamers buy physical discs!!!”.

And then there is gamepass making it even weirder

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
If we count all sales of game X on its release and it releases on ps5, pc and Xbox gamepass, then we can’t say it sold this much digitally because pc version does not have physical alternative.
The game can sell 100% physical on ps5 but if it’s selling better on pc? The numbers will say “only 30% of gamers buy physical discs!!!”.

And then there is gamepass making it even weirder
Yeah but what was your question referring to? I don't know which link you were asking about.