Billbil-kun - Here's the name, the design of the new PlayStation console with lots of other new details.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There are so many rooting for the failure of the PS5 Pro, yet there is a clear need for it given the length of this generation. Everyone I think assumes we'll see a PS6 by at least 2028, but it's entirely possible that we don't see it until 2030.

There's obviously questions over price, feature set, and performance.

I think some people are motivated by money here and others just have a general animus towards Sony.

Take for example the idea that this could have 2TB of storage. This is likely a good thing for consumers who have not purchased a PS5, as even if this drops for 700, it would be cheaper to buy this than buying a 1TB PS5 Pro and having to spend more than 100 to upgrade it to 2TB, not to mention that having more internal storage is a net positive even if you want to expand your overall storage.

Take someone like me who already bought a 2TB expansion. I'll be more than happy to take that drive out of my existing PS5, trade my PS5 into Best Buy or Gamestop, buy a PS5 Pro, and then put that expansion drive in my Pro for 4TB.

Could Sony theoretically get away with putting a 1TB drive into the PS5 Pro? Sure, but I'm confident people will be complaining about games with PS5 Pro patches eating up their storage. These pro patches might even inflate game sizes for the standard PS5, in fact they almost certainly will.

If base PS5 games end up being 1080p30, I'll be happy to have a PS5 Pro.

Reactions: YeezyDude

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There are so many rooting for the failure of the PS5 Pro, yet there is a clear need for it given the length of this generation. Everyone I think assumes we'll see a PS6 by at least 2028, but it's entirely possible that we don't see it until 2030.

There's obviously questions over price, feature set, and performance.

I think some people are motivated by money here and others just have a general animus towards Sony.

Take for example the idea that this could have 2TB of storage. This is likely a good thing for consumers who have not purchased a PS5, as even if this drops for 700, it would be cheaper to buy this than buying a 1TB PS5 Pro and having to spend more than 100 to upgrade it to 2TB, not to mention that having more internal storage is a net positive even if you want to expand your overall storage.

Take someone like me who already bought a 2TB expansion. I'll be more than happy to take that drive out of my existing PS5, trade my PS5 into Best Buy or Gamestop, buy a PS5 Pro, and then put that expansion drive in my Pro for 4TB.

Could Sony theoretically get away with putting a 1TB drive into the PS5 Pro? Sure, but I'm confident people will be complaining about games with PS5 Pro patches eating up their storage. These pro patches might even inflate game sizes for the standard PS5, in fact they almost certainly will.

If base PS5 games end up being 1080p30, I'll be happy to have a PS5 Pro.
Are there really that many people rooting for its failure? Mostly I just see the usual suspects who would be rooting for anything made by PlayStation to fail.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
A PS5 in 2030 is perfectly fine. Why? Because it's already much more powerful than a Switch 2 aka the new baseline for gaming.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It’s probably fake but interesting none the less:

>Project: Pegasus
-Made by Naughty Dog
-Female MC looks like Erling Haaland
-Debra Wilson plays a Scandinavian witch

Captura de ecrã 2024-09-01 110218.png

Sounds like a game for that modern audience.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Are there really that many people rooting for its failure? Mostly I just see the usual suspects who would be rooting for anything made by PlayStation to fail.

I think similar to Concord, there are PlayStation fans and not just Xbox or PC fans rooting for the Pro to fail.

People have various motives for rooting against products.

Concord was rooting against for political reasons, because a lot of people were already invested in specific communities, and didn't want people leaving those communities for another game, because PC fans are threatened by Sony's encroachment into the PC world, because sony fans are angry that sony is diversifying outside of single player games...

Xbox fanboys want the PS5 Pro to fail because there is no Xbox Series X Pro
PS5 fans who aren't able to afford PS5 Pro want it to fail because they can't afford to buy it
PC fans want the PS5 Pro to fail because they don't want people hailing it as the best value in gaming

Then there are just those who want Sony to fail because they think they're getting too dominant, but it's interesting that you don't really hear the same thing about Valve/Steam or Nintendo/Switch or Meta/VR or really most companies in most industries.

The end of the console war hopefully comes with a shift in tone towards gaming, but the reality is it will just become PC vs console, but again, with Sony pushing more into the PC market, that might not work either.

A PS5 in 2030 is perfectly fine. Why? Because it's already much more powerful than a Switch 2 aka the new baseline for gaming.

I think you meant PS6 and yes, the lack of pressure from Nintendo will probably push this generation longer. There isn't really much reason to push to makes games even more expensive to develop. The industry needs to recover from this overcorrection anyways and Nintendo has proven you can sell considerable units without much more powerful hardware.

People who don't buy a PS5 Pro will likely regret not doing so the longer this generation goes.

• Heart
Reactions: The Icon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Debra Wilson starring in the game should be the last thing we should be worried about lol, she is a good actress. You people are ignoring the point above- the female MC fucking looks like erling haaland, if that is true then we will have a competitor for the Fable lady lmao

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Debra Wilson starring in the game should be the last thing we should be worried about lol, she is a good actress. You people are ignoring the point above- the female MC fucking looks like erling haaland, if that is true then we will have a competitor for the Fable lady lmao

Lol there's nothing wrong with Debra Wilson doing mocap and voice acting for a game. She's great in the Jedi series and Wolfenstein.

But playing a Scandinavian witch, i.e. a nord woman?
We all know why they're putting a black woman on that role, regardless of the prosecutions from the local sensitivity police. Even they know why.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lol there's nothing wrong with Debra Wilson doing mocap and voice acting for a game. She's great in the Jedi series and Wolfenstein.

But playing a Scandinavian witch, i.e. a nord woman?
We all know why they're putting a black woman on that role, regardless of the prosecutions from the local sensitivity police. Even they know why.
Is Christopher judge playing kratos "woke?" Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Is Christopher judge playing kratos "woke?" Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself
Kratos doesn't have Cristopher Judge's appearance, only the voice.

Let's do it like this, then:

- If this rumor is true and Debra Wilson only voices a nordic witch, then I'll admit I was wrong about my prediction.
To be clear: no one should have any problems with unmatched skin tones or ethnicities between characters and voice actors.

- If this nordic witch has the appearance of Debra Wilson, then you'll admit this was a DEI move.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Kratos doesn't have Cristopher Judge's appearance, only the voice.

Let's do it like this, then:

- If this rumor is true and Debra Wilson only voices a nordic witch, then I'll admit I was wrong about my prediction.
To be clear: no one should have any problems with unmatched skin tones or ethnicities between characters and voice actors.

- If this nordic witch has the appearance of Debra Wilson, then you'll admit this was a DEI move.
The rumor already said the character looks like Erling Haaland, she's not black.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

Well lemme see... First of the latest number is 36.1 TFLOPS (Or 36 TFLOPS) and it might be just a 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD but I want it to be 2 TB's tbh. Other than that so will I say yeah this is about right but the "RDNA 3.5 + RDNA 4 RT" part is kind of incorrect since the PS5 Pro is a mix of RDNA 3 and RDNA 4 actually.

Anyway I'm expecting the reveal of it to be between September 10th-13th 2024! 👀

Reactions: Bryank75

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Biggest thing I want to know of this pro is if Sony is indeed incorporating their own version of DLSS once is going around as being dubbed "PSSR." Will definitely go a long way in increasing that revolution and frame.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Biggest thing I want to know of this pro is if Sony is indeed incorporating their own version of DLSS once is going around as being dubbed "PSSR." Will definitely go a long way in increasing that revolution and frame.
That's true so far... I think we'll hear more about it soon! (y)