Billbil-kun - Here's the name, the design of the new PlayStation console with lots of other new details.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
No disc drive?

Dis Gon B Gud GIF

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
That would be cool if true.

Why would this not be true? The PS5 Digital only accounts for only 20%, if that, of the current PS5 install base. Why Alienate the potential 80% of the customers by releasing a digital-only PS5 Pro?

I don't think Sony is that dumb.

Last edited:

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Why would this not be true?
I have no idea. I don't know the deets on the PS5 Pro. I just know that 80 percent of the PlayStation gaming sales are digital. I just assumed that is the direction they are headed. Your stats might be right on the current install base, but going forward, what are the sales at? Seems weird that only 20% of PS5 sales are the digital version, when only 20% of their game sales are physical.

If 80% of game sales are digital on PlayStation, wouldn't the digital version be a better option for digital only gamers?

I don't want a disc drive, so if the PS5 comes without one standard, I will be fine with that. But making the accessory available is a win for physical gamers, so that is great news if they can use the PS5 Slim disc drive accessory on the PS5 Pro.

Reactions: The Icon

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I have no idea. I don't know the deets on the PS5 Pro. I just know that 80 percent of the PlayStation gaming sales are digital. I just assumed that is the direction they are headed. Your stats might be right on the current install base, but going forward, what are the sales at? Seems weird that only 20% of PS5 sales are the digital version, when only 20% of their game sales are physical.

If 80% of game sales are digital on PlayStation, wouldn't the digital version be a better option for digital only gamers?

I don't want a disc drive, so if the PS5 comes without one standard, I will be fine with that. But making the accessory available is a win for physical gamers, so that is great news if they can use the PS5 Slim disc drive accessory on the PS5 Pro.

80% is money made not overall copies sold.

Those sales numbers include digital DLC items and games that are exclusive to digital. Physical games only include…….Physical games. So it’s not an accurate comparison being made when this keep being brought up and using that information misleadingly.

We saw from the Sony documents that their first party games can make over 50% of copies sold. 3rd party games also still cover a large portion of physical copies sold. Alan Wake 2 didn’t sell so good because if this reason, as has been reported on.

There’s still money to made with physical media.

• Informative
Reactions: KvallyX

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
20% of PS5 sales are the digital version, when only 20% of their game sales are physical.
Physical sales make up of 60% for 1st party from the Insomn leaks. Nintendo also has a strong ratio in favour of physical.
It also depends on how present the data, if MTX accounts, yes that's more digital sales.

Curious about PSSR and the RT improvements outside of the GPU increase, that are the features that can really show substantial value for money compared to other platforms. Size wise similar to the slim, cooling? Can't wait for Cerny and reveal.

The stripes does remind me of a shark.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
If you ignore that the current ps5 slim disc drive can be used, then yeah.

What about owners of launch PS5 physical model with physical games that can’t remove the disc drive to put inside pro? They’re going to have to spend extra money on the disc drive to play their games.

Making only a digital version will limit its sales to an already limited market.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Physical sales make up of 60% for 1st party from the Insomn leaks. Nintendo also has a strong ratio in favour of physical.
Yeah, I was including first party and 3rd party in what I had read. I do recall UK numbers being heavily digital, including PS games. I believe they came in at 90% or so a year ago in favor of digital vs. physical (games only). Of course, that is just one area. And we can see that games like Black Myth Wukong have just obliterated the sales charts, and that is digital only. The direction is indeed growing towards digital.

I would love to see both digital and physical exist forever. Though I do believe there will be a medium that will replace blu-ray discs in the near future. Not sure what it would be though.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
What about owners of launch PS5 physical model with physical games that can’t remove the disc drive to put inside pro? They’re going to have to spend extra money on the disc drive to play their games.

Making only a digital version will limit its sales to an already limited market.

That is what I’m saying. There is no chance Sony builds a disc only PS5 Pro without at least giving customers an option to buy an external drive.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
3 hours? Doubt it.

Bend’s new game being day one with PC sounds right on brand though.
The thing about that "leak" is that it lines up with everything we know about each individual studio based off rumors. So the person making that leak is up to date with each studio rumored game, or its actually real which i highly doubt. I do hope its real because that SSM project sounds interesting.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
That is what I’m saying. There is no chance Sony builds a disc only PS5 Pro without at least giving customers an option to buy an external drive.

But that’s more money you have to spend. Not a good deal.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The thing about that "leak" is that it lines up with everything we know about each individual studio based off rumors. So the person making that leak is up to date with each studio rumored game, or its actually real which i highly doubt. I do hope its real because that SSM project sounds interesting.

Sounds like that person gathered factual information and made up fantasy scenarios with them.

Not too far from what insiders do I guess.