billbil-kun: I'm still investigating about another of PlayStation's exclusives coming very soon at least to one 'specific' platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Because the Xbox is a dying platform, they'd spend money porting the game to two different consoles with different performance tiers and then the chances of recouping that money would be slim to none.
And the portion of Xbox owners that still haven't forgotten the console aren't buying titles, they're just subscribing to GamePass.

Xbox isn't dying. Microsoft makes so much money from their gaming segment and isn't not going anywhere. People wanting it to die isn't the same as it actually dying. As long as Microsoft makes billions in revenue and profit, Xbox is going nowhere. Microsoft doesn't need to be #1 or even #2 to be massively successful.

As for people not buying games on Xbox, same can be said for PlayStation. People over hype sales on PlayStation when in reality 90% of the user install base pass on every game unless it's COD, GTA, live service or sports games. Look at Spider Man 2. As of April 2024, it was around 12m which is outstanding but with a user install base of almost 60m, what happened to the other 80% of the install base? They forgot to show up.

Also, Microsoft's direction is subscription, not sales which should be pretty obvious to everyone by now. Both Microsoft and Sony have different business strategies and whatnot which is great because that helps separate them from one another instead of just being exactly the same which is what I personally don't want.

As for Helldivers 2, if Sony believes/knows that they can make money on Xbox, they'll port the game because they'll have the numbers. All anyone ever posts is sales numbers from Europe and even worse, physical only numbers which is dead on Xbox because it's a platform that's basically 90% digital.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox isn't dying. Microsoft makes so much money from their gaming segment and isn't not going anywhere. People wanting it to die isn't the same as it actually dying. As long as Microsoft makes billions in revenue and profit, Xbox is going nowhere. Microsoft doesn't need to be #1 or even #2 to be massively successful.

As for people not buying games on Xbox, same can be said for PlayStation. People over hype sales on PlayStation when in reality 90% of the user install base pass on every game unless it's COD, GTA, live service or sports games. Look at Spider Man 2. As of April 2024, it was around 12m which is outstanding but with a user install base of almost 60m, what happened to the other 80% of the install base? They forgot to show up.

Also, Microsoft's direction is subscription, not sales which should be pretty obvious to everyone by now. Both Microsoft and Sony have different business strategies and whatnot which is great because that helps separate them from one another instead of just being exactly the same which is what I personally don't want.

As for Helldivers 2, if Sony believes/knows that they can make money on Xbox, they'll port the game because they'll have the numbers. All anyone ever posts is sales numbers from Europe and even worse, physical only numbers which is dead on Xbox because it's a platform that's basically 90% digital.
Okay mr. Phil, sure Xbox isn't dying, they're just porting all their games to the competing platform because their financials are just sooo good they needed to share with their top rival lmao

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Peter420 is a good dude, let him have his opinion without dog piling please.

One response of the same type of enough or we end up going in circles. ❤️

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
It's all good Bryan.

Everyone wants to believe that Xbox is dying yet no one here realizes that the division is backed up by a $3T dollar company. If anything, there's a far greater chance of PlayStation dying than Xbox simply because Sony doesn't have the money, capital and cash on hand that a company like Microsoft does.

Microsoft is porting games to PlayStation not because Xbox is dying but because all the suits want their $70B dollars back as quickly as humanly possible and they know games will sell on PlayStation. It's basically a free 70% cut of every copy sold. If Microsoft never acquired ABK, this conversation wouldn't be happening because Microsoft wouldn't be porting any games to PlayStation excluding Minecraft which has been everywhere since the 360/PS3 days due to the fact that they wouldn't have spent $70B+ on ABK.

Microsoft is porting their games to PlayStation NOT because they have to because they truly don't have to at all. It's because they want to and the reason why is so simple - MONEY.

Microsoft wants their money back as fast as possible. Sony isn't porting their games to PC or Xbox or Switch for shits and giggles. Sony is doing this because they want more MONEY. PERIOD. Neither Microsoft OR Sony give a flying fuck about their psychotic fan base that wants to believe they know it all yet don't know their ass from their elbow. Both companies sell you a product. You either buy it or you don't. If you do, all that matters is that you're satisfied with the product that you bought. It's that simple. This isn't a marriage or some shit like so many here believe it is thinking that Sony is going to listen to them over earning more money. Good luck with that as you all have the same chance as Xbox fans believing that it was only four games - ZERO.

But hey, everyone is free to believe what they want.

Reactions: Bryank75

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Peter420 is a good dude, let him have his opinion without dog piling please.

One response of the same type of enough or we end up going in circles. ❤️

He made the post now he has deal with the responses to the flawed argument.

Only 2 people responded. Don’t tell me this forum babysits certain posters? 🫤

👩‍🍼👨‍🍼🍼

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Xbox only by name, as a physical presence in your living room - it’s dying.

It’s as if Activision and Zenimax acquired Xbox, not the other way around.

Who’s going to care about Xbox as just a publisher? Maybe those that care for Ubisoft and Tencent, should they even exist outside of the shareholder class.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
He made the post now he has deal with the responses to the flawed argument.

Only 2 people responded. Don’t tell me this forum babysits certain posters? 🫤

👩‍🍼👨‍🍼🍼

You've only just noticed? We babysit @Sircaw all the time.

donald trump pokemon GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Xbox only by name, as a physical presence in your living room - it’s dying.

It’s as if Activision and Zenimax acquired Xbox, not the other way around.

Who’s going to care about Xbox as just a publisher? Maybe those that care for Ubisoft and Tencent, should they even exist outside of the shareholder class.

As long as they're selling hardware, their physical presence in your living room isn't going anywhere. They're already working on new hardware, a console and a portable handheld which is a far better decision than Series X/S.

Let me preface the following with this - im a subscription guy first and foremost. I really don't want to buy anything unless I have to. If I do, I will but if I don't (ala Ubisoft's and Microsoft's published games), I won't because im not a collector and don't care about ownership.

Microsoft is a publisher but it's what they've always been since the 80's, the hardware is simply one of the ways to access their games and content. The benefit (at least for me) of having an Xbox console is Game Pass. Why would I want to buy their games for $70 when I can get them and a few third party games day one every year as part of my subscription which saves me a lot more money than if I would buy them all. And since I have gone all digital, there's no trading in like I used to do when buying certain games on disc.

It's not just about their published games or Game Pass though. On Xbox, I have access to Ubisoft+ which includes the best versions of their games day one which isn't available on PlayStation. I get free cloud saves, 6 refunds a year (try getting a legitimate refund on PlayStation, it's a fucking hassle) which is huge when you're now all digital like I am, backwards compatibility in which I was just able to play through all the Halo games for the first time ever and best of all, they were all remastered for Xbox One so I had a better experience playing them now as opposed to back in the day when they launched.

I have access to EA Play via Game Pass Ultimate which is also huge because I can play through the original Dead Space and Mass Effect games for the first time ever. Best of all, Mass Effect trilogy was completely remastered and again, I don't have to buy any of these games. Best of all for me, I can also use the Xbox One controller which is the best and my favorite controller of all time. No gimmicks, no over sized touch pad, 40+ hours of battery life on a single full charge and is what I want the most out of a controller - basic, standard and just freaking works with no issues.

To add to that, I get discounts on games because im a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and the games aren't even in Game Pass which leads me to buying more games because im getting them cheaper.

Most of all, Microsoft is finally giving me what I want the most - GAMES. With all the studios they now have, this generation for me will blow away Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined. I have already surpassed what I had with Xbox One which was only 5 games. I already 6. I will probably end up with 12-15 depending on if they release their next console in Fall 2026 which i do believe that they will because having your own space and time when launching new hardware is simply the best way to go.

If the trade off of me getting everything I listed in this post is Microsoft porting their games to Sony/Nintendo platforms, then so be it. Sony's published games are great for the most part and I enjoy the majority of them but in all honesty, that's all they give me as a hardware manufacturer/platform holder. If all im getting is bragging rights due to exclusivity but nothing else, then to be perfectly honest, im good giving that up which I already did six months ago by staying with Xbox despite throwing a temper tantrum because the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

In general, I do believe that Sony will eventually release their games day one on PC and if anything, this is a given to me and even more so if they startup their own PC store front. As for porting to Microsoft/Nintendo platforms, they've already started it years ago and while I don't believe that they will go at the pace of Microsoft any time soon, within a decade or so, Sony will be more or less the same as Microsoft.

The only company I see staying "old school" is Nintendo because they have their own fan base and market, they have a huge winner with having a hybrid console, they rarely if ever devalue any of their stuff as they're literally the Disney of video games, they never take a loss on anything, they always make a profit on everything and because they're not reliant or dependent on tech like Microsoft and Sony are, they simply don't spend the money.

That's how I look at it in general and for myself personally. Everyone will look at it their own way but of course, if you're not a fan of a certain company or brand, you're going to look down on them regardless of what they do. If anything, im more into Xbox and gaming on Xbox than I was before simply because I decided to "let it all go". Whatever Microsoft does, it doesn't matter because I can't do anything about any of it, good or bad. What I can do is enjoy gaming on Xbox which I have.

Same for Sony with PlayStation 5. While many here just want to constantly bitch about what they're doing with their company and their IP's, I have been enjoying their console, their exclusives every year and just like with Microsoft and Xbox, as long as they release a console, I will there day one to buy it because it's simply how I prefer to play games. I have zero interest in going to PC and until it's the only option which is probably 20+ years away from now, will never play a game via streaming until it's the only option.

One thing I have noticed between here and for example, XboxEra, is that despite everything Microsoft has done this year, those over there seem to be far happier and enjoying what they have on Xbox where as so many here are more negative than positive and barely if at all, enjoy what they have on PlayStation 5 which for the life of me, I don't get at all because I have enjoyed PlayStation 5 more than I did PlayStation 4 in the same time frame.

But to each their own. It all is what it is. :)

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas and Puff

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
As long as they're selling hardware, their physical presence in your living room isn't going anywhere. They're already working on new hardware, a console and a portable handheld which is a far better decision than Series X/S.

Let me preface the following with this - im a subscription guy first and foremost. I really don't want to buy anything unless I have to. If I do, I will but if I don't (ala Ubisoft's and Microsoft's published games), I won't because im not a collector and don't care about ownership.

Microsoft is a publisher but it's what they've always been since the 80's, the hardware is simply one of the ways to access their games and content. The benefit (at least for me) of having an Xbox console is Game Pass. Why would I want to buy their games for $70 when I can get them and a few third party games day one every year as part of my subscription which saves me a lot more money than if I would buy them all. And since I have gone all digital, there's no trading in like I used to do when buying certain games on disc.

It's not just about their published games or Game Pass though. On Xbox, I have access to Ubisoft+ which includes the best versions of their games day one which isn't available on PlayStation. I get free cloud saves, 6 refunds a year (try getting a legitimate refund on PlayStation, it's a fucking hassle) which is huge when you're now all digital like I am, backwards compatibility in which I was just able to play through all the Halo games for the first time ever and best of all, they were all remastered for Xbox One so I had a better experience playing them now as opposed to back in the day when they launched.

I have access to EA Play via Game Pass Ultimate which is also huge because I can play through the original Dead Space and Mass Effect games for the first time ever. Best of all, Mass Effect trilogy was completely remastered and again, I don't have to buy any of these games. Best of all for me, I can also use the Xbox One controller which is the best and my favorite controller of all time. No gimmicks, no over sized touch pad, 40+ hours of battery life on a single full charge and is what I want the most out of a controller - basic, standard and just freaking works with no issues.

To add to that, I get discounts on games because im a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber and the games aren't even in Game Pass which leads me to buying more games because im getting them cheaper.

Most of all, Microsoft is finally giving me what I want the most - GAMES. With all the studios they now have, this generation for me will blow away Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined. I have already surpassed what I had with Xbox One which was only 5 games. I already 6. I will probably end up with 12-15 depending on if they release their next console in Fall 2026 which i do believe that they will because having your own space and time when launching new hardware is simply the best way to go.

If the trade off of me getting everything I listed in this post is Microsoft porting their games to Sony/Nintendo platforms, then so be it. Sony's published games are great for the most part and I enjoy the majority of them but in all honesty, that's all they give me as a hardware manufacturer/platform holder. If all im getting is bragging rights due to exclusivity but nothing else, then to be perfectly honest, im good giving that up which I already did six months ago by staying with Xbox despite throwing a temper tantrum because the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

In general, I do believe that Sony will eventually release their games day one on PC and if anything, this is a given to me and even more so if they startup their own PC store front. As for porting to Microsoft/Nintendo platforms, they've already started it years ago and while I don't believe that they will go at the pace of Microsoft any time soon, within a decade or so, Sony will be more or less the same as Microsoft.

The only company I see staying "old school" is Nintendo because they have their own fan base and market, they have a huge winner with having a hybrid console, they rarely if ever devalue any of their stuff as they're literally the Disney of video games, they never take a loss on anything, they always make a profit on everything and because they're not reliant or dependent on tech like Microsoft and Sony are, they simply don't spend the money.

That's how I look at it in general and for myself personally. Everyone will look at it their own way but of course, if you're not a fan of a certain company or brand, you're going to look down on them regardless of what they do. If anything, im more into Xbox and gaming on Xbox than I was before simply because I decided to "let it all go". Whatever Microsoft does, it doesn't matter because I can't do anything about any of it, good or bad. What I can do is enjoy gaming on Xbox which I have.

Same for Sony with PlayStation 5. While many here just want to constantly bitch about what they're doing with their company and their IP's, I have been enjoying their console, their exclusives every year and just like with Microsoft and Xbox, as long as they release a console, I will there day one to buy it because it's simply how I prefer to play games. I have zero interest in going to PC and until it's the only option which is probably 20+ years away from now, will never play a game via streaming until it's the only option.

One thing I have noticed between here and for example, XboxEra, is that despite everything Microsoft has done this year, those over there seem to be far happier and enjoying what they have on Xbox where as so many here are more negative than positive and barely if at all, enjoy what they have on PlayStation 5 which for the life of me, I don't get at all because I have enjoyed PlayStation 5 more than I did PlayStation 4 in the same time frame.

But to each their own. It all is what it is. :)
You're right to say that's how you see it personally. The actual wider audience, the one that matters to brand health is rejecting the console offered by MS, and this is what ultimately is the undoing of the living room for them. The subscription turns out is not a sufficient hook.

Any subscription model is pretty much moot without a thriving delivery mechanism of the physical appliance. I must be missing the bandwidth on how Gamepass will be sustainable when not enough are subscribing - well the answer is in front of us, it's not - hence the À la carte sales on competing platforms. Is netflix publishing their titles on Hulu?

Leaning on oh I love games so I don't care is a cop out in a Console oriented discussion. Why engage if it matters not?

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
It's incredible how much the narrative has changed

Everything I said in those posts were exactly how I felt at the time and while I still believe that at the very least, Microsoft should have gone into next generation like normal and see how it goes with a two year head start and if it still doesn't work, then pivot to what they're doing now. My biggest issue was Microsoft quitting and at the very least not seeing what they can do with all the studios finally going, releasing games, having Bethesda and ABK under them. To this very day, I still disagree with their decision, I don't like it but here's the thing that majority can't seem to wrap their head around - you can either accept what they're doing like I have now and have done so for the last several months or sell/trade away my Xbox Series X and give up all those benefits that I mentioned a few posts above which obviously, im not going to do because if I was, I would have done it already.

It has nothing to do with changing a narrative because I don't control the narrative or what Microsoft does. If you're an Xbox fan like I am, you either accept it and stay where you're at or you don't and leave. I'm not leaving Xbox because losing all the benefits I have personally on Xbox just isn't worth giving up just because I was pissed off or don't agree and don't like their decision. I can't control what Microsoft does or doesn't do. Just like no one here can control what Sony does or doesn't do.

You're right to say that's how you see it personally. The actual wider audience, the one that matters to brand health is rejecting the console offered by MS, and this is what ultimately is the undoing of the living room for them. The subscription turns out is not a sufficient hook.

Any subscription model is pretty much moot without a thriving delivery mechanism of the physical appliance. I must be missing the bandwidth on how Gamepass will be sustainable when not enough are subscribing - well the answer is in front of us, it's not - hence the À la carte sales on competing platforms. Is netflix publishing their titles on Hulu?

Leaning on oh I love games so I don't care is a cop out in a Console oriented discussion. Why engage if it matters not?

The wider audience started rejecting Xbox in 2022 when Starfield and Redfall were delayed to May/September 2023 respectively because through 2022, they were pretty much right in line with Sony just like Xbox One. They stay close for about two years and then Sony pulls away and doesn't look back. More than anything, it's not even about what Sony does or doesn't do, it's simply Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly when it comes to Xbox and the gaming division.

People here prefer the old school way but that wasn't working for Microsoft either and if you go back to Xbox 360 which is by far their best generation by anyone you ask, their games outside of one Halo game and one Gears game never sold 10m+ copies. Their games didn't sell even during the Xbox 360 generation and that was their peak. We all know how Xbox One went so Microsoft changed to a subscription based focus because the old school way wasn't working.

Everyone here sees Game Pass as a failure but realistically, what would the alternative be? Going back to the old school ways which didn't work for them during their peak of Xbox 360? That's not going to work either.

For Game Pass to really take off, it needs to be on as many devices as possible but most of all, Microsoft has to release a steady stream of games and content throughout the year which is by far their biggest issue. Outside of 2023, they love stacking the Fall with a bunch of games and expansions leaving the other eight months empty for the most part. Now for someone like me who buys and plays third party games and owns a PlayStation 5, this isn't going to affect me much if at all but for someone who perhaps only owns an Xbox Series X/S, this can be a big issue.

Game Pass can be sustainable. It simply takes time. Netflix didn't get to where they are now overnight. It took them like 20 or so years to get where they're at. The only subscription service that I have ever seen take off is Disney Plus but it's Disney who's arguably more valuable content wise than any other subscription regardless of if it's gaming, movies or TV shows.

I engage because I like to talk about gaming and see what others opinions are (real opinions, not oh they suck and should die or some shit like that) in regards to gaming but more so than the consoles, I like to talk about the games because it doesn't matter what the console is or isn't if the games aren't there and in this regard, the roadmap I personally have is 15 games out of 21 which is by far the best I have ever had from Microsoft in the last three generations combined.

Microsoft finally has a ton of studios developing games that im interested in playing and want to play which im not going to give up on or spend thousands going to PC just to deal with all the bullshit that entails and im not going to wait months/years to play their games on PlayStation and even if they all go day one eventually, I have too many games that I want to play and im simply not going to buy them all when I don't have to.

Majority here I believe anyway probably just want Microsoft to kill off Xbox and while majority believe that will happen because of their current approach to their gaming division, I believe that the opposite will probably happen because they simply have too many studios and too many games to end Xbox and the gaming division. If Nadella didn't shut down Xbox in late 2017 when they only had 5 studios, there's simply no way he's going to do it now especially after acquiring ABK.

One last thing, so many people here have their ideas on what they would do if they ran Xbox and to be honest, I don't believe anyone here myself included could do any better because what it currently is will take another decade to really get going (Game Pass) and the old way didn't work during their peak so what else is there to do legitimately? No, I will just kill Xbox off. No shit like that but seriously, what else could Microsoft or anyone for that matter do?

Status
Not open for further replies.