Black Girl Gamers] Forspoken wouldn't have received this same level of criticism had Frey not been Black.

24 Jun 2022
The problem I have with her take is that she's taking the intentions of a small minority of people and extrapolating it to the wider populace who may've had issues with the game that had NOTHING to do with Frey being black (well, technically she's biracial but I guess we wipe away half of her ethnic background for reasons).

Now, there ARE some people I know who did target the game for, in addition to other things (being a PS5 console exclusive for starters, being "yet another" Square-Enix console exclusive for PlayStation, etc.) Frey's skin color or gender (or both). Or at least, you can get a hint that's a reason when you see other stuff they've done or talked about. Fritanga (shithead PCMR dude who caps for Xbox all the time), and some super alt-right chud grifters who constantly complain about "wokeness" and suddenly started targeting Forspoken.

THOSE people most likely had racist intentions behind their critiques, but they don't represent everyone who had criticisms towards the game, and that's something the person who wrote this article doesn't seem to understand. They've done the same thing here as the MCU bootlickers and access media who target everyone that dislikes modern Marvel or Star Wars movies/shows as racists/sexists/homophobes etc., when it's only a small portion of the community voicing the complaints who are ACTUALLY being racist, sexist, or homophobic. They pretend like non-bigoted criticisms no longer exist.

My other issue with these types of articles is that they're written by people who always come off as confrontational and like they aren't willing to have an actual dialog. Rather, they assume the worst out of the community as a whole just because of a few bad apples, and feel like instead of being genuine and listening to the majority of the community, they want to enforce their own rules and terms on the community, and guilty-trip them into accepting it. IMO that doesn't sound like someone who wants to truly be a member of the community, you don't take the vocal minority and make it sound like that's the majority of the community.

Granted, the article itself does seem to try to specify particular gamers, although again does so stereotypically (not all dudebros are racist/sexist/homophobic for starters). But there's two ways IMO that you can combat the actual minority of bigots who try going after games like Forspoken: either amplify their actions and provide ironic validation by focusing on what they do (what this article does), or take YOUR liking/passion for the game and express that for others to read & hear. One puts needless negative energy out, the other positive energy. Ignoring the trolls and negative folks seems like it would be the preferred way to do things.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it's true. Look at Hi-fi rush, which had completely cringe dialogue. Now, Forspoken didn't put its best foot forward with the trailers, but I think it still received disproportionate hate for what it was.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The problem I have with her take is that she's taking the intentions of a small minority of people and extrapolating it to the wider populace who may've had issues with the game that had NOTHING to do with Frey being black (well, technically she's biracial but I guess we wipe away half of her ethnic background for reasons).

Now, there ARE some people I know who did target the game for, in addition to other things (being a PS5 console exclusive for starters, being "yet another" Square-Enix console exclusive for PlayStation, etc.) Frey's skin color or gender (or both). Or at least, you can get a hint that's a reason when you see other stuff they've done or talked about. Fritanga (shithead PCMR dude who caps for Xbox all the time), and some super alt-right chud grifters who constantly complain about "wokeness" and suddenly started targeting Forspoken.

THOSE people most likely had racist intentions behind their critiques, but they don't represent everyone who had criticisms towards the game, and that's something the person who wrote this article doesn't seem to understand. They've done the same thing here as the MCU bootlickers and access media who target everyone that dislikes modern Marvel or Star Wars movies/shows as racists/sexists/homophobes etc., when it's only a small portion of the community voicing the complaints who are ACTUALLY being racist, sexist, or homophobic. They pretend like non-bigoted criticisms no longer exist.

My other issue with these types of articles is that they're written by people who always come off as confrontational and like they aren't willing to have an actual dialog. Rather, they assume the worst out of the community as a whole just because of a few bad apples, and feel like instead of being genuine and listening to the majority of the community, they want to enforce their own rules and terms on the community, and guilty-trip them into accepting it. IMO that doesn't sound like someone who wants to truly be a member of the community, you don't take the vocal minority and make it sound like that's the majority of the community.

Granted, the article itself does seem to try to specify particular gamers, although again does so stereotypically (not all dudebros are racist/sexist/homophobic for starters). But there's two ways IMO that you can combat the actual minority of bigots who try going after games like Forspoken: either amplify their actions and provide ironic validation by focusing on what they do (what this article does), or take YOUR liking/passion for the game and express that for others to read & hear. One puts needless negative energy out, the other positive energy. Ignoring the trolls and negative folks seems like it would be the preferred way to do things.
The small minority is very vocal and influences the reviewing process though. Just think about it, Microsoft was expecting based on internal mock reviews for Redfall to score double digits higher, but the pre-launch discourse about Redfall (especially after the IGN preview) gave those reviewers permission to score it lower than they would have.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Race baiting bs is just part of a robust system of victimhood culture
Normally I would agree with you, but I noticed some extra hate. Alot of it was people being” anti woke” or whatever the term is lol.

Of course. The amount of hate people had for this game is ridiculous. You saw blatant racism posted on twitter and on forums.
Yeah same, there was alot of hate. It being a PS exclusive, and the whole middle of the “race’/woke” wars and also some blatant racism on twitter.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Thats what mixed race means.
The reality is what started as a racist/discriminating metric to decide who was black In the Americas and to further discriminate against anyone who was not wholly white "one drop rule" is now used to characterize anyone with black blood as black. It's a very debated premise here in the states but many consider anyone with mixed race as black if they have black blood. Ive always laughed at tht shit as in reality they are of mixed race and some even sway more toward their white half. Take Obama I use to laugh everytime they would say "first black president" bro he was mixed and actually in my eyes was more white as he grew up affluent and with his white grandmother. Plus there were like six presidents before him who were part black!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Be real. No one knew she was mixed when the trailers came out. She presented as a black woman and was unfairly judged because of it.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The reality is what started as a racist/discriminating metric to decide who was black In the Americas and to further discriminate against anyone who was not wholly white "one drop rule" is now used to characterize anyone with black blood as black. It's a very debated premise here in the states but many consider anyone with mixed race as black if they have black blood. Ive always laughed at tht shit as in reality they are of mixed race and some even sway more toward their white half. Take Obama I use to laugh everytime they would say "first black president" bro he was mixed and actually in my eyes was more white as he grew up affluent and with his white grandmother. Plus there were like six presidents before him who were part black!
Race is extremely important in the culture wars, every single facet people can latch onto to try and get their victory points, it's beyond sad.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Don’t know what’s so difficult to understand. Her underlying features are of a black decent even though she’s also half white. That’s how people choose what to call people of both black and white parents or whatever other races.

Nobody would know she’s was mixed race unless you looked it up or she told you.

Obama is clearly a black man. His swagger alone shows this. Haha.

(I did not like him as a president for the record.)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Don’t know what’s so difficult to understand. Her underlying features are of a black decent even though she’s also half white. That’s how people choose what to call people of both black and white parents or whatever other races.

Nobody would know she’s was mixed race unless you looked it up or she told you.

Obama is clearly a black man. His swagger alone shows this. Haha.

(I did not like him as a president for the record.)
Nothing hard to understand. She is mixed and depending on ppls perception and how they internalize you'll get a different response. I'm from Nyc where so many ppl are mixed and I can tell immediately generally who is and isn't.

Reactions: Vertigo

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Nothing hard to understand. She is mixed and depending on ppls perception and how they internalize you'll get a different response. I'm from Nyc where so many ppl are mixed and I can tell immediately generally who is and isn't.
Would still bang, and i don't mean Obama ffs

Dustin Poirier Sport GIF by UFC

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

I didn’t know she was mixed until recently. Looks like a typical black girl to me. 🤷‍♀️

I’m from New York also.

I doubt hardly anyone would call her anything other than black.

images

1238057_v9_ba.jpg

6cc58baaff13af47acacac654f7d94d66b8c5182.gif

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I didn’t know she was mixed until recently. Looks like a typical black girl to me. 🤷‍♀️

I’m from New York also.

I doubt hardly anyone would call her anything other than black.

images

1238057_v9_ba.jpg

6cc58baaff13af47acacac654f7d94d66b8c5182.gif
Those pics aint helping the argument lol I see yacub all in those pics 😂😂😂 but to each their own lol

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Those pics aint helping the argument lol I see yacub all in those pics 😂😂😂 but to each their own lol

Then that’s your pacific perception. That girl is clearly black.

I see black girls like her outside every damn day.

You must have a stereotype of what black girls look like. That’s your problem.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Then that’s your pacific perception. That girl is clearly black.

I see girls like her outside every damn day.

You must have a stereotype of what black girls look like. That’s your problem.
Not at all. I know how thy look I'm in the hood all day lol

But I feel u 😁