Black Girl Gamers] Forspoken wouldn't have received this same level of criticism had Frey not been Black.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The problem isn't having a black female lead as protagonist.

As also happens in movies or tv shows, the problem is when pubilshers/devs focus on color skin/gender/sexual preferences too much to the point instead of focusing on game quality, incuding to design appealing characters to their audience. Even more if the game features propaganda of certain related ideology/political views/religion not shared by a majority of that audience.

Often happens that when they have a woke focus these characters are always super good, strong, smart, etc. They don't have flaws so become an untenteresting and flat character. And since they are against female beauty too and also want to promote the trans stuff, they also make their female characters ugly and androgineous, so even less appealing for everybody.

So often ends their users not liking the quality of the product, or don't find these characters appealing. And ends tanking in both reviews and sales, even between those who they try to target and the idology/political view/religion they want to promote.

It's also a bit embarassing when seeing that when these products fail, then they complain about racism, sexism, homophobia etc. acting as if the product wasn't a turd, failed and got criticism for that instead. And yes, if they would have spent the efforts and resources spent on adding the woke propaganda they woulld have spent them on making more appealing characters for the big majority audience (which isn't black or lgbt btw). They are blind inside their echo chamber.

Games that include the 'diversity' in a more reasonable way, without forcing it, in contexts where make more sense, or having alternatives and more importantly, in games where they focus on making a quality game with quality characters instead of putting there propaganda, that criticism doesn't exist.

TLDR: Go woke, go broke

PS: I didn't play the game but I lilke the main character and think that the actress does a great job in the cinematics I saw.
Cool theory but how does that apply to forspoken? None of it is forced wokeness. It just has a black female protagonist. If that qualifies as being woke, whoo boy.

Frey does not parade around in rainbow colored clothes with a pride flag. She doesn't complain about how the criminal justice system unfairly targets black people. She is simply a girl trying to survive in new york. She is not a yuppie sipping a venti from starbucks typing away a manifesto about how she is a victim from her $3000 macbook.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Cool theory but how does that apply to forspoken? None of it is forced wokeness. It just has a black female protagonist. If that qualifies as being woke, whoo boy.

Frey does not parade around in rainbow colored clothes with a pride flag. She doesn't complain about how the criminal justice system unfairly targets black people. She is simply a girl trying to survive in new york. She is not a yuppie sipping a venti from starbucks typing away a manifesto about how she is a victim from her $3000 macbook.
I didn't say that all that I mentioned applies to Forspoken.

I explained why she is wrong and why in that and similar cases woke people claim that the criticism comes from racism, sexism etc. when it isn't the case and that the criticism isn't there when the game and characters are better (even if -like in this case- have a black or female main character).

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
So anytime there’s a black person in film or games it’s because of an agenda. Cool story.

By the way in case people need to realize......that term woke is becoming borderline racist. Like how thug was always reported in the news as a hidden excuse to mean black people. There’s a reason it’s not used anymore.

The original meaning of Woke was for black people who are aware of what’s going on and are not falling for the BS. To put it simply. Among other things. But as usual with black slang, it gets taken and used by everybody else and it loses its original meaning.

Same thing happened to Karen. From the black girl who it was created from It means white women who use their white privilege to get black men killed. Not a white women acting like a fool at the airport or McDonald’s. Those kind people are called jackasses. Which every race is capable of being.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
She's right you know. David Jaffe said the same thing. The level of hate this game received on social media was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, just pure bandwagon mentality. And then people who played the game realize the writing is nothing like twitter tried to make it seem.

Did u forget how much horizen got hated for making Aloy ugly?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The original meaning of Woke was for black people who are aware of what’s going on and are not falling for the BS. To put it simply. Among other things. But as usual with black slang, it gets taken and used by everybody else and it loses its original meaning.

The original term in the UK or my circles was, being woke meant you don’t fall for the government/media’s bs. Nothing to do with race

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Did u forget how much horizen got hated for making Aloy ugly?

They did yes.
But Forspoken did get some hate from all this woke/anti woke people complaining every character has to be a black female. I saw some pretty racist horrible shit being written on twitter.
I hate identity politics and all that shit and normally agree its too much, but I did see the hate for Forspoken because people claimed it was “woke”.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The original term in the UK or my circles was, being woke meant you don’t fall for the government/media’s bs. Nothing to do with race
I broke this term down awhile ago on here but can't find the thread but it started as a social justice, against racism and discrimination term. The term was originated in the U.S. Sometimes in the early to mid 1900s and it set the tone and definition. Race and discrimination indeed was embedded in the term. If you were "Woke" you indeed were aware as a minority of the powers that be and white oppressors trying to oppress you. All through the 90's in nyc many of us used the term in a positive way here in NYC "bro you woke, you know what time it is" but since, it has taken a negative connotation for many reasons. One reason being the left has become more and more super left and have now made everything a woke agenda even when it isnt and have degraded the term over time.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I broke this term down awhile ago on here but can't find the thread but it started as a social justice, against racism and discrimination term. The term was originated in the U.S. Sometimes in the early to mid 1900s and it set the tone and definition. Race and discrimination indeed was embedded in the term. If you were "Woke" you indeed were aware as a minority of the powers that be and white oppressors trying to oppress you. All through the 90's in nyc many of us used the term in a positive way here in NYC "bro you woke, you know what time it is" but since, it has taken a negative connotation for many reasons. One reason being the left has become more and more super left and have now made everything a woke agenda even when it isnt and have degraded the term over time.

Interesting.
People use the term in Iran too. It translates to being awake, meaning not falling for propganda, your not a sleeping sheep lol.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They did yes.
But Forspoken did get some hate from all this woke/anti woke people complaining every character has to be a black female. I saw some pretty racist horrible shit being written on twitter.
I hate identity politics and all that shit and normally agree its too much, but I did see the hate for Forspoken because people claimed it was “woke”.

There wasn't much hatw for fospoken until that infamous cringe trailer where she says "so let me get this straight"

That basically kicked the hornets nest of trolls

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sigh

I dunno, maybe thats there definition but people have been using terms like awake, awakening, enlightenment for years. I always assosiated it being awake/ woke with when people means you don’t fall what the government/media says. Which is used all over the world. Wherea awakening and enlightenment are different stages o spiritual/alchemical development

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There wasn't much hatw for fospoken until that infamous cringe trailer where she says "so let me get this straight"

That basically kicked the hornets nest of trolls
I can only go with what I saw.
I just think it was another reason to hate For whatever reason. Plenty games have more cringey voice acting

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I dunno, maybe thats there definition but people have been using terms like awake, awakening, enlightenment for years. I always assosiated it being awake/ woke with when people means you don’t fall what the government/media says. Which is used all over the world. Wherea awakening and enlightenment are different stages o spiritual/alchemical development

I’m not talking about anybody else’s so called definition. I’m talking specifically about Black people.

Why must another explanation try to be found for a black origins of something? Always being dismissive. That’s not cool.

That term always supposedly existed yet it’s black Americans that people are imitating and taken slag from. Makes no damn sense.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There is a definition for mixed white and black. It's called mulatto. In anglo-saxon dominated contries (ex UK colonies) it's not a popularized term for political reasons but it's in Spanish-speaking America. And it's a more correct denomination.

Mulatto's being called black has always been crazy to me, and they can be distinguished easily by facial characteristics - for the most part. Some borrow more from their black side, some more from their white side. Light brown skin color is their most shared characteristic.

Latino's is another term used in anglo-saxon countries that is another crazy term. A native american of mayan, aztec or incan lineage has nothing to do with Roman empire (modern day Italy) latins. The sole reason of bunching them together because they speak Spanish, a latin derivative is crazy to me. It's like calling Italians or French latinos (because they speak French and Italian - latin derivatives) - but that is not done. This is again, anglo-saxon politics at play in these denominations - then and now.

Or another doozy: Hispanic. Hispania is Spain/Portugal, the Iberian peninsula. The only hispanics are Spaniards/Portuguese - a majority, white, southern european stock. The descendants of Aztecs, Incans or Mayans are not hispanic. Now you can say that the white descendants of Spaniards, Portuguse are hispanic and that is true, say Castro but the overwhelming majority that are thrown to that pot are not. It's a bastardization of the term used by the Romans to denominate the Iberian peninsula (and as always, for political reasons - back then and still now).

Edit: and even I fall for the traps. Cause Germanics/Nordics/Celts bunched together as simply anglo-saxon is also not quite accurate when there are more appropriate terms. Big pot sorta speak - Germanics is more appropriate even if not quite perfect. Which to every other race out there from the outside looking - just another white dude. Blacks and Asians also have subdenominations, subsaharan blacks, east asians, nothern etc...etc. Interesting topics.

As for this game, a mix of console war, culture war, media war + faults = review score. The game is however, to me, much better than what its META says by a good margin. With the culture wars as they are, even if a minority character is not shoed-in by its designers from a woke/political pov (and we know decisions to this effect do take place and are by design and can't be brushed aside as if those motivations do not exist) it's gonna get flak regardless. The irresponsible thing to do would be to simply stop doing minority characters because the environment is now a warzone due to the culture wars. Thus, a minority character has to be done extremely well, cause anything that smells of the woke agenda in messaging will get attacked, and there is nothing nobody can do about it. It's what it's.

I'm looking at the new Stars Wars game by Ubisoft and I keep wondering myself why not do a Han Solo game when the character is literally a female Han Solo, from looks in clothing, to mannerisms, to gun usage etc. To anyone in the culture wars, that smells like woke messaging, and will get attacked. The only thing it may not get, as opposed to Forspoken, is having the console warriors hiding behind the culture wars trying to bring the title down and create a negative atmosphere around it - it's a multiplat. The female character is also white but we know the problem culture war wise will come when and if they make her lesbian or bi more so than just being a black/white thing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I’m not talking about anybody else’s so called definition. I’m talking specifically about Black people.
Im talking my definition.

Why must another explanation try to be found for a black origins of something? Always being dismissive. That’s not cool.
Im not being dismissive lol. When the word was used around me as a kid, people weren't using in a American term. I grew up in UK, around middle eastern asians.

That term always supposedly existed yet it’s black Americans that people are imitating and taken slag from. Makes no damn sense.
I didnt even think its used as a slang for black Americans. I see it being used for example, women with blue hair that are offended about everything. l like said, the term wasn’t used for neither black americans or blue haired complainers when I was a kid.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Nobody was using the term “Woke” until recently.

It’s been taken by white America and used as a meaning for black ideology. As is explained in the link I posted above. Those other things it’s now used for is also recent after the fact.

It’s taken on a whole new meaning. Same as Karen.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nobody was using the term “Woke” until recently.

It’s been taken by white America and used as a meaning for black ideology. As is explained in the link I posted above. Those other things it’s now used for is also recent after the fact.

It’s taken on a whole new meaning. Same as Karen.

Like I said, I only heard it this decade/half decade for Karens and Blue hair anti abortionists. I never knew it was connected to Black ideology.

But people used the term awake from the government, and it had nothing to do with America in my circles. And I thought woke was a modern term for it. People use it for all things now, from people who are into crystals and cbd. That again wasn’t what I saw it when I was a kid. Especially middle eastern talking about global politics lol

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I can only go with what I saw.
I just think it was another reason to hate For whatever reason. Plenty games have more cringey voice acting

The cuff and all the quips just made the game even more cringe, there was no turning back after the trailer were frey said "is that a mkther fking dragon" in a loud voice while the charecter model stood there with a blank expression.

Even if Frey was white it would get backlash like Horizen, even if Frey was a white male it would get backlash like days gone.

Also freys coice actress is half Polish half black, she's still half white

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: BroodCorp

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The cuff and all the quips just made the game even more cringe, there was no turning back after the trailer were frey said "is that a mkther fking dragon" in a loud voice while the charecter model stood there with a blank expression.

Even if Frey was white it would get backlash like Horizen, even if Frey was a white male it would get backlash like days gone.

I think it was just nitpicking. So many games have cringe written all over them and never get any hate or close to the amount the game got.
It didnt need that much backlash whoever the character was.

Being half white doesnt stop anything lol

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

you can tune down the Cuff. it is really isn't a problem.
Freya was great, writing and liveliness she got, it was like real person with lows and highs. she is probably best written character as human being in gaming history.
but of course, 2 cringe sentences in 100s of lines and she is pile on, because, you know, obvious agenda.

Reactions: Kokoloko