Black Myth: Wukong had 4.5 million pre-orders/sales at launch

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

black-myth-wukong-ganha-novo-gameplay-e-pagina-no-steam-095054.jpg

Black Myth: Wukong had 4.5 million pre orders/sales and generated $250 million in revenue

The Black Myth: Goku has sold over 4.5 million copies across all platforms, with sales of over 1.5 billion yuan
Caixin News Agency, August 20, according to the statistics of the best-selling list of national games, up to now, “black myth: goku” has sold more than 3 million copies on steam, together with wegame, epic and ps platforms, the current total sales of more than 4.5 million copies, with a total sales volume of more than 1.5 billion yuan. Currently, the game steam favorable rating is maintained at the level of 95% +, of which, the proportion of Chinese comments is about 90%. (Caixin reporter Cui Ming)
Source

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have never heard anyone call it “goku” before. It's great to see it is already a success.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I wonder how many pre order games like Elden Ring had in comparison?

This is the studios first game, and getting an overall 82 metacrtic, great for them, dont understand how its sold so well but good for them

Reactions: ethomaz and Entropi

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
it isn't 82 game, reviewers full of shit.

How would you rate it?

I just meant thats what the score is “officially”. I know reviewers are full of shit and agendas all over the place, but the general people will just see the score.
New studio, an “8/10”. 4.5 million preordered before release. Kind of unheard of

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have never heard anyone call it “goku” before. It's great to see it is already a success.
Well it based in the story of Son Goku / Sun Wukong.
I don't know why they choose Wukong instead Goku for the west release.

Maybe to not confuse with Dragon Ball (that is based in the same story)?

maxresdefault.jpg

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep.
Dont think Dragon ball is based on the story, but it has lots inspiration from the it including the character and money tail, cloud and staff and parts etc etc.

Seems to be selling well. Monkey, Journey to the West would of also been a decent name for it. People would remember it from the series haha

Reactions: Entropi and ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

maxresdefault.jpg
like always, you doesn't know what you fucking talking about 🤣

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
like always, you doesn't know what you fucking talking about 🤣

Is it based on the journey to the west? I literally havent really looked into the game much, I always thought Id wait till its actually releases lol

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Reactions: Kokoloko

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
How would you rate it?

I just meant thats what the score is “officially”. I know reviewers are full of shit and agendas all over the place, but the general people will just see the score.
New studio, an “8/10”. 4.5 million preordered before release. Kind of unheard of
The game is for sure a 9, if BG 3 with its buggy act 2 and 3 at launch can get 10/10 then wukong can get a 9 for sure. The only major gripe I have is its not completely open world and there are some invisible walls but that maybe due to the fact that they must have spent all their budget on getting the bosses right.

The opening sequence ( comparable to GOW 3), the wandering wight and the tiger vangaurd are a highlight so far into chapter 2 for me. It is so good to see the yaoguai (monsters) I read about come to life and they have put extreme care to get them right. The music is top notch too and I recommend playing in mandarin with english subs

Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Wukong are in my opinion the best games released this year (Erdtree is great too)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game is for sure a 9, if BG 3 with its buggy act 2 and 3 at launch can get 10/10 then wukong can get a 9 for sure. The only major gripe I have is its not completely open world and there are some invisible walls but that maybe due to the fact that they must have spent all their budget on getting the bosses right.

The opening sequence ( comparable to GOW 3), the wandering wight and the tiger vangaurd are a highlight so far into chapter 2 for me. It is so good to see the yaoguai (monsters) I read about come to life and they have put extreme care to get them right. The music is top notch too and I recommend playing in mandarin with english subs

Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Wukong are in my opinion the best games released this year (Erdtree is great too)

What kind of game is it? Like Stellar Blade, souls style? Open world? Just bosses? Are there towns and NPC’s to talk to?
Just combat or other gameplay things to do?

24 Jun 2022
Yep, Steam is carrying this game big time. 70:30 split in its favor. It will probably remain that way too or increase to 80:20.

But remember guys, Steam isn't a competing platform for PlayStation. SIE and Sony Corp CEOs told us so!

🤣

Anyway, congrats to the team. I think the game aught to hit 10 million by the middle of September, at this pace. Especially if WOM is strong.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
What kind of game is it? Like Stellar Blade, souls style? Open world? Just bosses? Are there towns and NPC’s to talk to?
Just combat or other gameplay things to do?
There are npc's to talk to , so far at the start of each chapter you meet up with a guy who knows the original sun wukong ( you are his descendent and are on a journey to collect his great sage relics). I wouldn't say its souls style as its much faster than soulslike games or like stellar blade as there is no parry. I would say its a combination of the old god of wars mixed up with magic skills.

There is an rpg type progression system where you collect herbs and other things to make pills that increase your stats like defence etc. There are the transformations that give you a second health bar and ways to counter bosses. There are 3 staff stances to slightly tweak your regular light and heavy attacks.

I don't know if there are towns as I haven't seen one so far, but there were 2-3 secret areas that you can miss and need to look for in chapter 2 so far.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yep, Steam is carrying this game big time. 70:30 split in its favor. It will probably remain that way too or increase to 80:20.

But remember guys, Steam isn't a competing platform for PlayStation. SIE and Sony Corp CEOs told us so!

🤣

Anyway, congrats to the team. I think the game aught to hit 10 million by the middle of September, at this pace. Especially if WOM is strong.
Either they chose to ignore it or they see it now.