Black Myth: Wukong had 4.5 million pre-orders/sales at launch

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Maybe you should explain so we know whats what? I have no idea about the game story
the guy says that two different IPs are the same 1 to 1, which it moronic to say the least.

The game is based on novel written in 16th century China.

Dragon Balls is japanese manga written in 1984. creator loved kung fu, so he was pushed to create kung fu style manga, he took inspiration from hong kong martial arts and took inspiration from Journey to the West characters. that's all.

Reactions: Entropi

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well it based in the story of Son Goku / Sun Wukong.
I don't know why they choose Wukong instead Goku for the west release.

Maybe to not confuse with Dragon Ball (that is based in the same story)?

maxresdefault.jpg
Sun wukong is the Chinese name, they are a Chinese dev. Son Goku is the Japanese version of the name.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Wukong are in my opinion the best games released this year (Erdtree is great too)
Best game I played this year is Robocop (though it released last fall). My second favorite is Granblue Fantasy Relink, which did release this year.

Reactions: peter42O

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Best game I played this year is Robocop (though it released last fall). My second favorite is Granblue Fantasy Relink, which did release this year.
Ah yeah relink is pretty good , I haven't played it since before the sandalphon update need to go back and get him but yeah its a fantastic little game. I stuck with charlotta, zeta, vane and euler as my mains hope we get a sequel with even more of the roster next time.

Reactions: KvallyX

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I wasn't aware of an update. I guess I better download it again!
There were 3 updates iirc, the first one added a lucilius boss fight, the second one added seofon and tweyen as playable characters then the 3rd one added sandalphon. I recommend playing tweyen - she is a bow user and pretty fun

• fire
Reactions: KvallyX

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I'm two hours in, and I like the game a lot. It's not God of War, but it is very high quality.

I haven’t had any issues with performance mode on PS5; maybe later on?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm two hours in, and I like the game a lot. It's not God of War, but it is very high quality.

I haven’t had any issues with performance mode on PS5; maybe later on?
How is image quality? Vaseline filter? My only problem with this game is UE5 on console

Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
How is image quality? Vaseline filter? My only problem with this game is UE5 on console

It's very mild, I’d say. I have had no issues whatsoever with graphics so far. Or maybe I’m not bothered by them?

I’ve read about “influencers” asking people to avoid the PS5 version, and I think it's all social media nonsense to get clicks.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It looks okay from the stuff I've seen but the performance mode takes a pretty noticeable hit to visual fidelity. Horizon still looks better, but it's still a really good looking game

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yep, Steam is carrying this game big time. 70:30 split in its favor. It will probably remain that way too or increase to 80:20.

But remember guys, Steam isn't a competing platform for PlayStation. SIE and Sony Corp CEOs told us so!

🤣

Anyway, congrats to the team. I think the game aught to hit 10 million by the middle of September, at this pace. Especially if WOM is strong.
So what's the angle here? What should have Sony done? Prevent people from playing on PC? 80% of Wukong players are Chinese. In a country that STRICTLY regulates entertainment, especially video games due to fear of "enemy" propaganda.

Console sales are horrible there and there's nothing Sony could have done. Most consoles are either banned or heavily regulated there. Hell, China has their own version of youtube where everything not authorized is censored.

Even if this was exclusive, it would have flopped since it's carried by Chinese PC players.

Instead of every post being "my feelings" elaborate. What can Sony do? What they shouldn't have done?

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So what's the angle here? What should have Sony done? Prevent people from playing on PC? 80% of Wukong players are Chinese. In a country that STRICTLY regulates entertainment, especially video games due to fear of "enemy" propaganda.

Console sales are horrible there and there's nothing Sony could have done. Most consoles are either banned or heavily regulated there. Hell, China has their own version of youtube where everything not authorized is censored.

Even if this was exclusive, it would have flopped since it's carried by Chinese PC players.

Instead of every post being "my feelings" elaborate. What can Sony do? What they shouldn't have done?
He's just a platform warrior who strictly sees things in his warrior mindset. This game is a success, he goes straight into talking about how much steam carries, how much of a victory this is for steam, and how PS has small numbers.

In reality, nobody really cares. The game is an amazing success and is very fun to play.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
you are full of shit and don't know what are you talking about.

go and play your loving Concord instead of bullshiting.
Let's expose the liar here...

Black Myth: Wukong is an action RPG rooted in Chinese mythology. The story is based on Journey to the West, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

Since “Dr. Slump” had been in a Western scenery, I decided to change that impression and make my new work have a Chinese scenery. And if I was going to give it a Chinese feel, I thought I would make the story based on “Journey to the West”. “Journey to the West” after all is absurd and has adventurous elements, so I guess I decided to make a slightly modernized “Journey to the West”. I thought it would be easy if that story served as the basis, since all I would have to do would be to arrange things. (laughs)
Yeah, to have it be completely like “Journey to the West”. This wasn’t very innovative, so I decided to have the protagonist be a human, and made him an ordinary boy. But I wanted him to have some kind of distinguishing characteristic.

The protagonist in “Dragon Boy” had wings, so I wanted a distinguishing characteristic in that sense, where you could tell it was him just by looking. So I gave Goku a tail. So even if he was hidden behind a rock, if you could still see his tail you’d know that it was Goku.

From there I added the Dragon Balls, and if you gathered all seven your wish was granted. I thought that if the characters went searching for these, they could go through a journey like in “Journey to the West”.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sounds good!
i agree. i like semi open or wide linear worlds the most. some open worlds are great, but most is just bloat beyond reasonable size and content.
i think, Skyrim, Fallout did it right open world, not too big, not too small, loads of content.
Mafia remake was refreshing too.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sun wukong is the Chinese name, they are a Chinese dev. Son Goku is the Japanese version of the name.
That makes sense...
Maybe we as gamers are more used to Japanese name than Chinese name.... after all we grow up with Japanese games.

24 Jun 2022
He's just a platform warrior who strictly sees things in his warrior mindset. This game is a success, he goes straight into talking about how much steam carries, how much of a victory this is for steam, and how PS has small numbers.

In reality, nobody really cares. The game is an amazing success and is very fun to play.

Stating facts is being a "platform warrior"? But when I bring up this stuff WRT Xbox, suddenly it's all good? OK 🤣

I'm looking at the bigger picture here in terms of what and where the core gaming industry is, what's driving mindshare, and where it's going. You had people here saying this was a Sony/PlayStation W, or elsewhere saying that because the game's not on Xbox. They are delusional; Xbox is a corpse at this point when it comes to consoles, that shouldn't be the measuring stick.

Yet more and more PS people are basically cool with what things bit by bit come from SIE that mirror what's happened elsewhere, they just write it off as "at least it's not Xbox". So yeah, I'll point that out any chance I get, and can do that while still congratulating a game on its success.

I'll tell you this: CEOs, bean counters and others at a lot of these other companies ARE paying attention to these numbers, and will make plans accordingly to get in on the action. That includes SIE, and this could in part explain why they've been adamant about PC as a multiplatform destination. If you're thinking Hulst, Totoki etc. aren't looking at these numbers and wondering what the next TLOU, Horizon, GOW etc. could do Day 1 on PC/Steam, you are deluding yourself into a fantasy.

And again, I'm not saying this because it's anything I personally am advocating to see happen. I'd 100% prefer a scenario where SIE truly prioritizes the PS console through words and action, and compete more with platforms like Steam even as indirect competitors. Because real competition that way would help drive the market and result in more good things for everyone.

Reactions: Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Stating facts is being a "platform warrior"? But when I bring up this stuff WRT Xbox, suddenly it's all good? OK 🤣

I'm looking at the bigger picture here in terms of what and where the core gaming industry is, what's driving mindshare, and where it's going. You had people here saying this was a Sony/PlayStation W, or elsewhere saying that because the game's not on Xbox. They are delusional; Xbox is a corpse at this point when it comes to consoles, that shouldn't be the measuring stick.

Yet more and more PS people are basically cool with what things bit by bit come from SIE that mirror what's happened elsewhere, they just write it off as "at least it's not Xbox". So yeah, I'll point that out any chance I get, and can do that while still congratulating a game on its success.

I'll tell you this: CEOs, bean counters and others at a lot of these other companies ARE paying attention to these numbers, and will make plans accordingly to get in on the action. That includes SIE, and this could in part explain why they've been adamant about PC as a multiplatform destination. If you're thinking Hulst, Totoki etc. aren't looking at these numbers and wondering what the next TLOU, Horizon, GOW etc. could do Day 1 on PC/Steam, you are deluding yourself into a fantasy.

And again, I'm not saying this because it's anything I personally am advocating to see happen. I'd 100% prefer a scenario where SIE truly prioritizes the PS console through words and action, and compete more with platforms like Steam even as indirect competitors. Because real competition that way would help drive the market and result in more good things for everyone.
While I understand where you are coming in your precious post… I think you choose the wrong game to use as example.

I mean it was already posted that over 80% of players are from China… which platform these Chineses have access? PS5 or PC?

It is obvious that will screw the ratio in PC favor.

That makes it an exception because no others game had that surge of Chinese before like this one.

Reactions: Kokoloko