Black Myth: Wukong had 4.5 million pre-orders/sales at launch

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Stating facts is being a "platform warrior"? But when I bring up this stuff WRT Xbox, suddenly it's all good? OK 🤣

I'm looking at the bigger picture here in terms of what and where the core gaming industry is, what's driving mindshare, and where it's going. You had people here saying this was a Sony/PlayStation W, or elsewhere saying that because the game's not on Xbox. They are delusional; Xbox is a corpse at this point when it comes to consoles, that shouldn't be the measuring stick.

Yet more and more PS people are basically cool with what things bit by bit come from SIE that mirror what's happened elsewhere, they just write it off as "at least it's not Xbox". So yeah, I'll point that out any chance I get, and can do that while still congratulating a game on its success.

I'll tell you this: CEOs, bean counters and others at a lot of these other companies ARE paying attention to these numbers, and will make plans accordingly to get in on the action. That includes SIE, and this could in part explain why they've been adamant about PC as a multiplatform destination. If you're thinking Hulst, Totoki etc. aren't looking at these numbers and wondering what the next TLOU, Horizon, GOW etc. could do Day 1 on PC/Steam, you are deluding yourself into a fantasy.

And again, I'm not saying this because it's anything I personally am advocating to see happen. I'd 100% prefer a scenario where SIE truly prioritizes the PS console through words and action, and compete more with platforms like Steam even as indirect competitors. Because real competition that way would help drive the market and result in more good things for everyone.
You are platform warring, I call it out and then you give me 3 more paragraphs of the same nonsense. A game does well, and the only thing your brain spouts is CEOs, SIE, and of course PC ports (nobody cares). You are a textbook example of a platform warrior, turning the discourse into some sports team like analysis on every detail of the industry. Your "facts" mean nothing to me, I look at this game, as a game i'll enjoy... you look at it as a way to push your warrior narratives back onto us. Do that as you will, not here to stop you. Just observing.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Stating facts is being a "platform warrior"? But when I bring up this stuff WRT Xbox, suddenly it's all good? OK 🤣

I'm looking at the bigger picture here in terms of what and where the core gaming industry is, what's driving mindshare, and where it's going. You had people here saying this was a Sony/PlayStation W, or elsewhere saying that because the game's not on Xbox. They are delusional; Xbox is a corpse at this point when it comes to consoles, that shouldn't be the measuring stick.

Yet more and more PS people are basically cool with what things bit by bit come from SIE that mirror what's happened elsewhere, they just write it off as "at least it's not Xbox". So yeah, I'll point that out any chance I get, and can do that while still congratulating a game on its success.

I'll tell you this: CEOs, bean counters and others at a lot of these other companies ARE paying attention to these numbers, and will make plans accordingly to get in on the action. That includes SIE, and this could in part explain why they've been adamant about PC as a multiplatform destination. If you're thinking Hulst, Totoki etc. aren't looking at these numbers and wondering what the next TLOU, Horizon, GOW etc. could do Day 1 on PC/Steam, you are deluding yourself into a fantasy.

And again, I'm not saying this because it's anything I personally am advocating to see happen. I'd 100% prefer a scenario where SIE truly prioritizes the PS console through words and action, and compete more with platforms like Steam even as indirect competitors. Because real competition that way would help drive the market and result in more good things for everyone.

Agree.
But I think for this particular game it was wise to have on PC for developer. Sony and the developer would of got too much hate and most chinese market on PC

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You are platform warring, I call it out and then you give me 3 more paragraphs of the same nonsense. A game does well, and the only thing your brain spouts is CEOs, SIE, and of course PC ports (nobody cares). You are a textbook example of a platform warrior, turning the discourse into some sports team like analysis on every detail of the industry. Your "facts" mean nothing to me, I look at this game, as a game i'll enjoy... you look at it as a way to push your warrior narratives back onto us. Do that as you will, not here to stop you. Just observing.
What? you were just trashing PC in the Final Fantasy XVI pc port thread. About $3000 PC not good for running new games 😕

• fire
Reactions: quest4441
24 Jun 2022
While I understand where you are coming in your precious post… I think you choose the wrong game to use as example.

I mean it was already posted that over 80% of players are from China… which platform these Chineses have access? PS5 or PC?

It is obvious that will screw the ratio in PC favor.

That makes it an exception because no others game had that surge of Chinese before like this one.

And how many going forward will have this type of surge or anything similar? I'd say quite a bit.

Even among Western studios, this will just push them to prioritize PC and Steam even more, or even do what needs be done to get their games on Wegame. Focus isn't an infinite resource; more for one platform always comes at the expense of another and in this scenario the one giving something up will be PlayStation.

Plus, this is a global gaming market, at this point, so Wukong is just as suitable as any other game would be to drive the point home. Companies aren't looking at this from a segmented regional POV like back in the '80s, '90s or '00s. And that includes SIE.

Ideally, SIE would've perhaps focused on WeGame ports of SIE titles specifically for the Chinese market, while focusing on the console for non-Chinese markets, particularly if consoles in China were banned legally until not too long ago. Otherwise, push PlayStation hardware in the market, which to their credit they are doing. But again, their PC approach this gen will always work against their hardware push to some extent, especially in markets like China. So it's kind of like a Catch-22 for SIE.

Reactions: arvfab
24 Jun 2022

Again, don't get mad just because I try to see the bigger picture. I'm interested in seeing and extrapolating the trajectory of these platforms, doesn't matter which one. And I guess if I'm platform warring, that investor who asked about PC ports at Sony's fiscal call earlier this year was also "platform warring", right? Sure you can say the context of their question being asked was more "fitting", but in their case and mine it's all based on observing certain market conditions and variables.

Not my fault it's an inconvenience to you or anyone else when I decide to connect some of the dots together. The people like yourself or whoever else who play coy when asking why a platform like Xbox is where it's currently at today, will inevitably do the same thing if and/or when a similar situation manifests with PlayStation years down the road. All the while pretending there were no clues being given to you in real-time, and not even being open to the idea that these events could have been clues.

Like I said, you can congratulate the game and recognize it for what it's accomplished in its own microcosm, while also connecting it as a reflection on some part of the larger gaming market. It's not a one-or-the-other unless you want to conveniently make it that way.

Agree.
But I think for this particular game it was wise to have on PC. Sony and the developer would of got too much hate and most chinese market on PC

On PC sure...maybe. Honestly, if you're a market leader, why should you care if some gamers would get mad at the game being exclusive? Don't they have multiple places to play? If they don't it might be a "them" problem to resolve. If the dev had some agreement with SIE to get funding but were petulant in demanding a release for a platform SIE weren't interested in, why would SIE be obligated to still fund them and capitulate to the demands? Put your foot down and show who's steering the ship, so to speak. Assert yourself.

Now I get there are other reasons why they'd still fund and capitulate to such a request, perhaps even right upfront so that it's never something that has to be specifically requested, knowing the dynamics of the Chinese gaming market. For sure, those are big factors. What I just mentioned in the paragraph above is assuming a set of conditions where SIE were chiefly focused on prioritizing their console in the region, leveraging content differentiation to do so, and also funding some significant portion of the game's development.

Safe to say, I don't think those conditions exist for the Chinese market when it comes to SIE, so it didn't happen that way.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The bigger picture is that consoles will grow in China and eclipse Steam in its last stronghold. South Korea, another PC-first nation, is investing more and more into their console industry, as announced by their government. Sony is best-positioned to take advantage of this, having exposed those audiences to its games via PC earlier.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You are platform warring too.
It is definitely a nice and successful try 😌
Talking about performance in a PC port thread is a whole lot different than talking SIE and Sony PC ports in a Black Myth sales thread, don’t you think? Read the room 🤣

Coming from someone who cares very little about what platforms whatever game is coming to.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Talking about performance in a PC port thread is a whole lot different than talking SIE and Sony PC ports in a Black Myth sales thread, don’t you think?
Someone was trashing PCMR and you qouted him and continued trashing on them and their pathetic $3000 PCs that can only play old games at high settings. You trashed PC and PCMR. You were warring and trolling.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Someone was trashing PCMR and you qouted him and continued trashing on them and their pathetic $3000 PCs that can only play old games at high settings. You trashed PC and PCMR. You were warring and trolling.
You see that as a double standard or hypocrisy, I see that as fair game. PC owners deserve to get dicked on. There's no problem with it

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Quote me again when you see me dooming over the future of PC (never)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The bigger picture is that consoles will grow in China and eclipse Steam in its last stronghold. South Korea, another PC-first nation, is investing more and more into their console industry, as announced by their government. Sony is best-positioned to take advantage of this, having exposed those audiences to its games via PC earlier.
I think both can grow. If Sony is smart they can offer things that PC can't in the future. The heyday of PC being dramatically better than console are over. By PS6 you'll see some minor resolution and framerate advantages on PC that won't matter to 95% to players. What Sony need to do is to provide a software ecosystem that makes things easy for streaming and some other conveniences that exist on PC and not on console right now.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The game is a success for PlayStation for platforming the most important game release in China’s history thus far.

It has haters. From doomers doubting Sony’s strategies in growing markets. From reset because they’re not allowed to politicize it as if it’s the Olympics. Or from good ole china haters that somehow think our governments and media aren’t uniquely terrible themselves.

Yes. This is china showing up to support its own culture and representation in the industry however this kind of hype will not go unnoticed and will have some global success because of it as well.

I’m not so keen on playing it since I’m only really getting Warhammer but really interested in seeing impressions since I wouldn’t be surprised if reviews were … a bit padded too.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
enough this bullshiting people.

go and play the damn game!!! it is an order!

Get Out Of Here GIF by Mashed

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi