Bungie considering a $40 price for Marathon (The Game Post)

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
So what you're saying is Destiny is easy for a new player to get into?
That's an entirely seperate issue than the one you mentioned. You were talking about FOMO and the feeling that you can't put a game down. The new player experience is something called "onboarding".
And I know more than one person who said Apex was not kind to them as new players
Onboarding isn't FOMO.
Your experience is not universal however
No ones is.

I'm just saying if the effect was as strong as many like to believe, you wouldn't have so many successful GAAS games. Most GAAS gamers jump from game to game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Concord never had a problem with price. People nitpicked everything about it to write off another GaaS they didn't ask for.

The GaaS market is saturated and Deadlock will bring the final flood and make it almost impossible for anything to get into gaas market.

I think there is still room. New players, people fall off others games. Just has to be done correctly. No room for errors.

And obviously gaas fans of a genre will hate on a new game that competes with there genre. Plus anti gaas fans, theres alot of obstacles to release a successful gaas game despite how good it plays it.

Im looking for something to fill in the gaps, GT7 is great but Im just not good at in PVP lol.

Might get in FF14 online, HD2 hasnt satisfied me.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I joined Destiny 2 late after 1-2k hours into destiny 1. I kinda got put off being so far behind and i didnt wanna make my D1 team do old raids all the time etc for things I wanted.
But Apex I dont know.

I kinda have that now with HD2, my D1 team is so ahead and done everything while I was abroad.

I might get into D2 again, but not sure if its worth it or wait till D3? Id like to transfer my character either way if they will still do tha
I would classify that as a different issue.

If Destiny 2 isn't fun to replay, then replayability is the issue, not necessarily FOMO.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's an entirely seperate issue than the one you mentioned. You were talking about FOMO and the feeling that you can't put a game down. The new player experience is something called "onboarding".

Onboarding isn't FOMO.

No ones is.

I'm just saying if the effect was as strong as many like to believe, you wouldn't have so many successful GAAS games. Most GAAS gamers jump from game to game.
What are you even talking about? Perhaps read my comment again? There is a comma after "FOMO" for a reason... I don't see how you are intertwininh FOMO and onboarding of new players, when I made both separate issues for a reason.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
What are you even talking about? Perhaps read my comment again? There is a comma after "FOMO" for a reason... I don't see how you are intertwininh FOMO and onboarding of new players, when I made both separate issues for a reason.
You wrote this...

"And that's the issue here multiplayer games are demanding too much time and investment and FOMO, along with players falling behind if they step away for awhile."

I don't see that at all. People bring these talking points up all the time but in multiplayer communities they don't really exist. I don't see the time and investment argument play out in the real world with very many GAAS games.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You wrote this...

"And that's the issue here multiplayer games are demanding too much time and investment and FOMO, along with players falling behind if they step away for awhile."

I don't see that at all. People bring these talking points up all the time but in multiplayer communities they don't really exist. I don't see the time and investment argument play out in the real world with very many GAAS games.
But you are talking from your perspective? Why is this somehow the general fact? I know people who have said they felt overwhelmed trying to get back into Destiny after not playing for awhile

And with Apex I know two friends who said the game was pretty unforgiving to them after they stopped playing for awhile. Not to mention new players do struggle a lot when starting these games at these late stages

Again if it doesn't apply to you or others that's fine... But we're just going be going circles

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I would classify that as a different issue.

If Destiny 2 isn't fun to replay, then replayability is the issue, not necessarily FOMO.
It wasnt that it wasnt fun. Its just I kinda missed the train my friends playing. I couldnt be bothered to catch up lol

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
So you think EA FC, CoD, GTA6, the next Mihoyo game etc are going to tank? Good luck
The biggest bullshitter in the forum strikes again. These are examples of the established GaaS that already saturated the market. Go make a high quality AAA football game ( scores 95+ on metacritics) and spend $10000 million on its marketing and show me if it will attract half of EA FC revenue.

Reactions: arvfab

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
But you are talking from your perspective? Why is this somehow the general fact? I know people who have said they felt overwhelmed trying to get back into Destiny after not playing for awhile

And with Apex I know two friends who said the game was pretty unforgiving to them after they stopped playing for awhile. Not to mention new players do struggle a lot when starting these games at these late stages

Again if it doesn't apply to you or others that's fine... But we're just going be going circles
Your hypothesis is valid but you haven't really thought about it or tested it. Consider...

What competitive (commercial) advantage would these companies have if they made it hard to get back into their games? They WANT players to get back into their games as easy as possible because they know ENGAGEMENT leads to MTX sales.

If you play these games, you'll see how rare it is for players to be single game gamers. The people who play GAAS titles bounce around from game to game like anyone else.

GAAS hasn't overtaken the entire industry because it's hard to get into them. It's easy.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
It wasnt that it wasnt fun. Its just I kinda missed the train my friends playing. I couldnt be bothered to catch up lol
But think of a game like Fortnite. You'd play with your friends in an instant because the game is built for replayability.

Destiny just isn't that fun for people to replay. You feel like you need to "catch up" because you know your friend group wouldn't want to replay old missions with you.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Your hypothesis is valid but you haven't really thought about it or tested it. Consider...

What competitive (commercial) advantage would these companies have if they made it hard to get back into their games? They WANT players to get back into their games as easy as possible because they know ENGAGEMENT leads to MTX sales.

If you play these games, you'll see how rare it is for players to be single game gamers. The people who play GAAS titles bounce around from game to game like anyone else.

GAAS hasn't overtaken the entire industry because it's hard to get into them. It's easy.
You're absolutely right! I clearly misspoke seeing I don't know anyone or play multiplayers myself

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I feel like that's a significant barrier to entry to new GAAS titles as well. Entrenched titles like Fortnite have built up a very wide moat of content that protects them against newcomers. When new GAAS run out of stuff to do, the players inevitably return to their built-up accounts in those other games. That's why so many new games initially have a big splash in the first month and then die off immediately. It's also why I'm skeptical of pursuing AAA gaas as a business strategy for sony

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The biggest bullshitter in the forum strikes again. These are examples of the established GaaS that already saturated the market. Go make a high quality AAA football game ( scores 95+ on metacritics) and spend $10000 million on its marketing and show me if it will attract half of EA FC revenue.
Nah, I was debunking YOUR bullshit with just a few factual examples that prove you are totally wrong when saying that the GaaS is saturated and that there isn't space fore more by just mentioning only a few of the several very successful new GaaS that get released.

A few more: was ZZZ an estabilished GaaS too? And First Descendant? Palworld? Helldivers 2? Once Human? Satisfactory, which after years of early access got the 1.0 version last week and went up to over 155K CCUs in Steam? Nah, these are just a few more of the very successful GaaS released this year. And this is not counting the Asia only games or mobile only games.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I feel like that's a significant barrier to entry to new GAAS titles as well. Entrenched titles like Fortnite have built up a very wide moat of content that protects them against newcomers. When new GAAS run out of stuff to do, the players inevitably return to their built-up accounts in those other games. That's why so many new games initially have a big splash in the first month and then die off immediately. It's also why I'm skeptical of pursuing AAA gaas as a business strategy for sony
I would argue that the high week one numbers of many GAAS titles (and subsequent unhealthy player drop off) illustrates a market that craves new GAAS titles. GAAS really rewards BETTER types of games and NEW types of games much more than the SP model. That healthy model forces developers to innovate or suffer Concord like results.

Also, Sony can't ignore GAAS because its market size and market growth are just too awesome to ignore.

I consider it similar to sword manufacturers at the arrival of the gun. It's just too powerful of a weapon not to have. You don't want your competitors finding success in GAAS while you focus on a deteriorating model.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Marathon will cement Bungie as the worst acquisition in the history of the video game industry. We can start writing the obituaries, D2 is such a failfish, 3.6 billion burnt what an absolute sham. I bet if they tried to sell bungie they wont even get offers above 3-400 million.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Nah, I was just highlighting that you're the bullshiter one showing a few factual examples that prove you are totally wrong when saying that the GaaS is saturated and that there isn't space fore more.

Was ZZZ an estabilished GaaS too? And First Descendant? Palworld? Helldivers 2? Satisfactory, which after years of early access got the 1.0 version last week and went up to 155K CCUs in Steam?
These people will die off as GAAS continues to grow. The GAAS takeover is just too obvious at this point. They really are The Black Knight from the Monty Python scene...

• haha
Reactions: Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
These people will die off as GAAS continues to grow. The GAAS takeover is just too obvious at this point. They really are The Black Knight from the Monty Python scene...

I am old enough to have seen this many times:
  • Computer games are crap and will die, the arcade ones are better!
  • Console games will die, arcade ones are better!
  • Disc based games are crap and will die, cartridges are better!
  • Analog controls are crap and will die, dpad is better!
  • 3D (polygon based) games are crap and will die, 2D is better!
  • LCD monitors and tvs are crap, CRT monitors and tvs are better!
  • Online MP is crap and will die, local MP is better!
  • Download only games are crap and will die, physical is better!
  • Mobile games are crap and will die, console games are better!
  • DLC is crap and will die, standalone games are better!
  • F2P are crap and will die, paid games are better!
  • GaaS is crap and will die, non-GaaS games are better!

And here we are: arcades are almost dead, PC and consoles are healtier than ever, with mobile dominating the market, digital games being a large majority of the market, LCD, analog controls, digital games and 3D being the standard, and the online MP and GaaS being the most popular option, particularly F2P ones.

Next ones that still haven't become the mainstream options (and if they ever do will be in minimum 10-20 years) I think will be:
  • Cloud gaming is crap and will die, playing locally is better!
  • VR gaming is crap and will die, playing in flat tv is better!
  • Web3/NTF gaming is crap and will die, to don't be able to sell your unused games/DLCs/in-game items or loot is better!

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Each Destiny expansion (or the better ones) is a soft reboot in some form. Final shape in particular. You don’t have to catch up. You’re kinda supposed to start with the newest version of the game and go forward from there.

The issue is the amount of menus thrown at you. The insane amount of systems it has, etc… it’s not filtered for new players. Their “fix” for this is a year away.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters