[Circana] May 2024: 1# Ghost of Tsushima, 2# Paper Mario TYD, 3# Helldivers 2, #8 Shadow of Erdtree; PS5 #1, 2#NSW , 3# XSX

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
@Kokoloko

I just want a traditional, COMPETENT: Twisted Metal and Socom.
If those do well, next-gen can get Killzone/Resistance.

Not too much, but just enough to diversify a bit (for a single/multiplayer hybrid of games).
Id like for them to try Socom.
Id love to see a Remake of KILLZone 2 with expanding MP. Same with Resistance or a Resistance sequel.

GOT2 will probably have a strong MP mode, the first surprised me

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Top 10 Games Played on PlayStation 5 Ranked by Monthly Active Users (US)

GR_BeX1aMAoG-P0

This is why Sony needs some strong MP/Online games. I would of thought Helldivers 2 would be here, I wonder it HD2 & FF14 are in the top 20

Their engagement trackers are bogus and based on their own minuscule sample of users.

We have publicly available engagement charts for xbl and they don’t line up at all. X defiant never entered top 10 on xbl for instance and rainbow six is way higher in actuality.

Multiversus relaunch was beyond pitiful. Shouldnt have even charted. There’s no way it’s not bullshit imo.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So you believe Xbox is in this position because they port games to PC? Rather than them just having hardly any desirable content from the platform for the past 10+ years?
Them dropping there exclusives from 360 to X1 was a part of it, people can blame TV. Go look at twitter, forums and other Social media at the time, Xbox has no more excluisves anymore was a thing.
You’ll see some of the biggest PC nuthuggers on the other site were alsoXbox guys, you literally see when they changed. I no longer need an xbox became a thing

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Surprised Rebirth is still top 5 for the year despite falling off the charts. Was hoping it wouldve been in the top 20 thanks to the sales PSN was running last month.

First, position doesn't necessarily equate to sales. There haven't been a lot of big sellers this year. Outselling other games, especially if it cost more to develop, is not necessarily a triumph.

I truly think rebirth being a "flop" is just misinformation. How can a top 5 game of the year only on one platform be a flop? seems to have done great. IMo, same goes for FFXVI
See above.

How are people still buying Xboxes at all?

Just because Xbox is spiraling doesn't mean that people who have X1 aren't looking to buy Xbox Series. The problem is when they fall off the cliff. As you'll notice it's slightly behind the X360 as well. The Xbox 360 had a strong second half (probably aided by hardware failure) whereas the X1 did not. Tracking behind both is actually a serious problem.

North America is still their strongest region. They've fallen off harder in Europe and the UK, which is why Sony focused supply in North America and to a degree the UK. End of life Sony will have a huge advantage in NA and UK compared to last generation, another reason I keep telling you and other doomers that PS5 is going to outsell PS4.

Top 10 Games Played on PlayStation 5 Ranked by Monthly Active Users (US)

GR_BeX1aMAoG-P0

This is why Sony needs some strong MP/Online games. I would of thought Helldivers 2 would be here, I wonder it HD2 & FF14 are in the top 20

Yet doomers will insist otherwise. Helldivers isn't here because it isn't on PS4 and it isn't F2P.

Great to see FF7, Helldivers 2 in the top 5. Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade and RoR in top 20.

MLB number 4? But its not published by Sony anymore?

MLB is not published by Sony on Xbox or Switch.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony has alot of great studios, they have a better chance of making a top 10 Gaas title then most places. And it actually being good. You cant expect them not to try. Trying the land a hit is always the point.

Im not happy with how they done work these last 5-6 Years, but they have to try.

They just need to balance out the other genres, double down on the SP too
No they don't, even ND failed miserably at it, trend chasing it unlikely to lead them anywhere good.

GT7, Bungie and Helldivers 2 should be more than enough as far as GaaS for any publisher. It's not realistic at all to expect they'll dominate that segment.

We'll see with concord.

Switch is outselling it and it’s behind Xbox 360 in its strongest market. Looks like nobody is buying it.
Still sold 100k more than I think would be reasonable for it to sell at this point. Worst console of all time.

Reactions: arvfab

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Them dropping there exclusives from 360 to X1 was a part of it, people can blame TV. Go look at twitter, forums and other Social media at the time, Xbox has no more excluisves anymore was a thing.
You’ll see some of the biggest PC nuthuggers on the other site were alsoXbox guys, you literally see when they changed. I no longer need an xbox became a thing
Delivering games was always the big issue with Xbox... actually going PC with PlayAnywhere helped them to make the die of their console a big longer.
360 which Xbox had at least a fine delivery in games for the 4 first years was their best generation so far.
But don't forget that from 2010 forward Xbox basically stop to release games that end generating the issues up to this date.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nice to see GoT, Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade up there. Launch aligned PS5 continues better than PS4, but the total hardware sales tanked -30% or -40%. I assume Xbox or Nintendo aren't performing well.

Reactions: The Icon

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
GoT PC port sold slightly better than Paper Mario physical only.... so probably around 250k...Another flop

You would make the worst analyst...

This is only in North America. GoT was a top selling game on steam in basically every region.

250K x 60 = 15 million dollars subtract 30% (even though it is less) for steam's cut.

10.5 million dollars in one month alone in one region alone. Which will be further boosted when the game goes on sale and when the Ghost of Tsushima movie releases.

Not to mention your 250K was pulled right from your behind.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So is Sony if they dont fix up.
Sony doesn't need to fix anything. You hate Sony and their strategy, but they keep breaking records. In the same way that Switch's success didn't negatively affect PS4 and PS5, a potential Switch 2 success won't negatively affect PS5 and PS6.

You would make the worst analyst...

This is only in North America. GoT was a top selling game on steam in basically every region.

250K x 60 = 15 million dollars subtract 30% (even though it is less) for steam's cut.

10.5 million dollars in one month alone in one region alone. Which will be further boosted when the game goes on sale and when the Ghost of Tsushima movie releases.

Not to mention your 250K was pulled right from your behind.
Considering ports cost them around $2M, just in a month and only considering US sales they already generated over x5 the investment.

Imagine worldwide numbers -not just USA- after several years -not just a month-, this port is a highly profitable and successful project.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Digital PS5 is starting to have more stock.

Not just more stock, but more interest, it's certainly not selling out, but the price difference and size difference probably has more people interested.

A lot of people talk shit about the XBS but its price is almost certainly keeping Microsoft alive in terms of sales.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Not a big month but May is most often not.
Helldivers 2 continuing to stay relatively high on the list and Sea of Thieves as well.
Will be curious to see the June month as far as legs go since the game came out on PS at the very end of April.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But according to some people here, noone buys Sony games on PC becasue everyone pirates it.
Normally the same people who also says that "Sony/PS haz no gamez".

According to them the Sony games don't exist, so following their nonsensical reasoning can't sell.

• fire
Reactions: The Icon and voke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nice to see GoT, Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade up there. Launch aligned PS5 continues better than PS4, but the total hardware sales tanked -30% or -40%. I assume Xbox or Nintendo aren't performing well.
The use of total hardware sales being down 30-40% for PS5 is a bit misleading by Mat.
In fact if you look at the data.

US May 2022: 119k
US May 2023: ~250k? (triple digit up)
US May 2024: 235k

It is like PS5 is less than 10% down yoy and as it is based in revenue... so maybe not that much because DE is selling more today than previous years.
30-40% is due Switch and Xbox being heavy down yoy.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony doesn't need to fix anything. You hate Sony and their strategy, but they keep breaking records. In the same way that Switch's success didn't negatively affect PS4 and PS5, a potential Switch 2 success won't negatively affect PS5 and PS6.
Immediately assuming Nintendo is going to grab all third party sales from Sony, with a handheld is quite a take :ROFLMAO: all because they don't offer mario and zelda on PC?

I do think PC ports gives PC players less incentive to play on console. I just think this is exclusively for those with high end PCs, which accounts for less than 10% of that market. Users massively overrate the presence PC has on the overall market, it's mostly just very hardcore gamers (who also dominate spaces like forums or reddit). You don't see the mass market (cod, fifa, madden) enjoyers rushing to get a PC for gaming, because Sony is now releasing PC games. Odds are they don't even know what games Sony even makes.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon