[Circana] May 2024: 1# Ghost of Tsushima, 2# Paper Mario TYD, 3# Helldivers 2, #8 Shadow of Erdtree; PS5 #1, 2#NSW , 3# XSX

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Normally the same people who also says that "Sony/PS haz no gamez".

According to them the Sony games don't exist, so following their nonsensical reasoning can't sell.

The narrative will continue to shift around the reporting of news.

It'll shift to PC ports are doing too well so sony must be losing users. Then Sony will report PSN registrations are net new on PC and the narrative will shift again.

Jim Ryan set Sony up for long term success. It's hilarious to see people who probably work at shake shack complain about Sony's business strategy, because so far it's been pretty top notch, with the exception of execution being too slow.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No they don't, even ND failed miserably at it, trend chasing it unlikely to lead them anywhere good.
ND didnt even get a chance lol. I would of easily preffered Factions 2 +PVE then any other MP game I could think of right now.

A studio like ND should have multiple teams, 2 teams making single player games, 1 small team making remakes, classic ips, vr games and another team making a MP game. Sony just cheaped out, they should of supported it along with helping them make multiple SP games

GT7, Bungie and Helldivers 2 should be more than enough as far as GaaS for any publisher. It's not realistic at all to expect they'll dominate that segment.

We'll see with concord.
Outside of whateverHeist, Concord, Marathon there isnt anything else announced. GOT2 will probably have a MP mode like the first. GT is an obvious choice

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not just more stock, but more interest, it's certainly not selling out, but the price difference and size difference probably has more people interested.

A lot of people talk shit about the XBS but its price is almost certainly keeping Microsoft alive in terms of sales.
No sure about the last part because Series X is outselling Series S.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Next month another big hit will come to PS5.
This train won't stop so soon.

BTW the gap to PS4 is increasing.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The use of total hardware sales being down 30-40% for PS5 is a bit misleading by Mat.
In fact if you look at the data.

US May 2022: 119k
US May 2023: ~250k? (triple digit up)
US May 2024: 235k

It is like PS5 is less than 10% down yoy and as it is based in revenue... so maybe not that much because DE is selling more today than previous years.
30-40% is due Switch and Xbox being heavy down yoy.

The PS5 Digital is also up in price, so not sure the increase would be explained so much by that.

There's no way the entire market is down 40% and Sony doesn't own a large part in that, simply because of their position as market leader. That Xbox is down 13% compared to X1, also tells us that Sony is significantly down this year.

Switch leading in decline, yet still being #2 in units, tells us that PS5 is still probably more than 30% down but less than 40%.

And this is largely in line with Sony's own expectations probably (maybe slightly lower) given they'll be relying on significant sales from the ps5 pro to reach their 18 million. Right now, they're probably 2 million behind schedule without a price cut, assuming similar end of year discounting for the base model as last year.

We'll have a better understanding when Sony reports their Q1 numbers.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The narrative will continue to shift around the reporting of news.

It'll shift to PC ports are doing too well so sony must be losing users. Then Sony will report PSN registrations are net new on PC and the narrative will shift again.

Jim Ryan set Sony up for long term success. It's hilarious to see people who probably work at shake shack complain about Sony's business strategy, because so far it's been pretty top notch, with the exception of execution being too slow.
I'm just amazed that PS5 is apparently dying... despite being up 8% in their strongest market, with no price drop. They keep reporting very impressive data but the "fans" want to believe differently. Consoles are dead to them if they can no longer gatekeep the content behind it, very close minded IMO but we'll see how the market changes with time. I just can't in my mind picture a bunch of normies who only play f2p, cod and sports buying graphics cards and cpus, and those guys are the biggest chunk of the market lol.

Reactions: The Icon

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S

image.png

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'm just amazed that PS5 is apparently dying... despite being up 8% in their strongest market, with no price drop. They keep reporting very impressive data but the "fans" want to believe differently. Consoles are dead to them if they can no longer gatekeep the content behind it, very close minded IMO but we'll see how the market changes with time.

It has nothing to do with reality. These guys are just weirdos who are obsessed with exclusivity and console wars.

For NOW they'll rely on lagging European numbers to focus on PS5 being behind but that won't hold true for the next 2 years.

Even when the PS5 outsells the PS4 at the end of this generation, they're still not going to accept reality.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The PS5 Digital is also up in price, so not sure the increase would be explained so much by that.

There's no way the entire market is down 40% and Sony doesn't own a large part in that, simply because of their position as market leader. That Xbox is down 13% compared to X1, also tells us that Sony is significantly down this year.

Switch leading in decline, yet still being #2 in units, tells us that PS5 is still probably more than 30% down but less than 40%.

And this is largely in line with Sony's own expectations probably (maybe slightly lower) given they'll be relying on significant sales from the ps5 pro to reach their 18 million. Right now, they're probably 2 million behind schedule without a price cut, assuming similar end of year discounting for the base model as last year.

We'll have a better understanding when Sony reports their Q1 numbers.
Look at @Evilms table...

PS5 May 2023: 270k
PS5 May 2024: 235k

That is 12% difference in units.
I said 8% because I thought that PS5 did 250k in May 2023 but it did 270k.

Anyway there is no way PS5 is down 30%.
Others that are down way more than 30% that drive down the overall %.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Xbox Series X was just over half the units for the month.

Without the S, it's SIGNIFICANTLY behind the X1.
If Series S price was helping Xbox it should be selling more than Series X... the premium device is selling more than the weak one... so price is not a factor helping here. Demand is the issue... not price... that is why I said it is not helping.

It helped more in the COVID-19 period where Xbox focused only in Series S and forgot Series X.
But I wonder if that was a wise decision because it helped to kill Series X and Xbox in general.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Look at @Evilms table...

PS5 May 2023: 270k
PS5 May 2024: 235k

That is 12% difference in units.
I said 8% because I thought that PS5 did 250k in May 2023 but it did 270k.

Anyway there is no way PS5 is down 30%.
Others that are down way more than 30% that drive down the overall %.

Those arent facts those are estimates.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Great to see FF7, Helldivers 2 in the top 5. Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade and RoR in top 20.

MLB number 4? But its not published by Sony anymore?
Sony publish exclusively the PS version, while all the others are published by MLB media or something like that, I believe

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Immediately assuming Nintendo is going to grab all third party sales from Sony, with a handheld is quite a take :ROFLMAO: all because they don't offer mario and zelda on PC?

I do think PC ports gives PC players less incentive to play on console. I just think this is exclusively for those with high end PCs, which accounts for less than 10% of that market. Users massively overrate the presence PC has on the overall market, it's mostly just very hardcore gamers (who also dominate spaces like forums or reddit). You don't see the mass market (cod, fifa, madden) enjoyers rushing to get a PC for gaming, because Sony is now releasing PC games.
If we see the overlap between the console and PC markets we see that most PC players don't play on console and that most console players don't play on PC.

Meaning, most PC players don't play on console because of other reasons, not because a few ports. In the same way that most people play on consoles for other reasons and won't stop doing it because a few games get ported.

Regarding 3rd party support, it is one of the main reasons of why Sony kicked out Nintendo out of the home console market. And will be one of the main reasons of why in the long term PC handhelds will cause Switch 2 not being as successful as Switch 1 (despite having a record launch), and a generation or two later will kick Nintendo out of the portables market too.

Meanwhile, Sony will continue growing their console, PC and mobile gaming businesses.

May 2024
  • Best selling Console : PlayStation 5
  • Best selling Game : Ghost of Tsushima
  • Best selling Accessory : PlayStation Portal

2024 YTD
  • Best selling Console : PlayStation 5
  • Best selling Game : Helldivers II
  • Best selling Accessory : PlayStation Portal
This is the top grossing country for the console gaming market. A big contrast to people claiming that PS5 is doomed, that Sony doesn't market their stuff, that Sony has no games and that PS Portal was a failure.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If Series S price was helping Xbox it should be selling more than Series X... the premium device is selling more than the weak one... so price is not a factor helping here. Demand is the issue... not price... that is why I said it is not helping.

It helped more in the COVID-19 period where Xbox focused only in Series S and forgot Series X.
But I wonder if that was a wise decision because it helped to kill Series X and Xbox in general.

That's some real shit logic.

That's like saying if Scottie Pippen was helping Michael Jordan, he'd be outscoring him.

The price point has absolutely kept Xbox in relevance.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's some real shit logic.

That's like saying if Scottie Pippen was helping Michael Jordan, he'd be outscoring him.

The price point has absolutely kept Xbox in relevance.
Relevance?

The few Xbox fans are buying more the expensive machine than the cheaper one.
How the lower price is helping then if they are selling less and less?

Series S sold like less than 50k units in May.
And that will be even lower in June.