Circana (NPD) US sales December 2023 - PS5 (#1 for both) NSW (#2 for both) XBS #3 / MW3#1, Mario Wonder#2, Madden 24#3

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Buddy is holding the LINE!​

Neonzel

"I don't know why I clicked on the VERGE and NPD threads. I knew how they would look but for some reason I still clicked....

I put them on ignore now. Maybe I'm burying my head in the sand, but I'm not going to let that 3rd party talk ruing my hype for Indian Jones and Avowed today.

Only a few more hours"

They're slowly starting to feel what it was like to be a Playstation fan on there during the ABK nonsense.

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Yes. 1332k at best.

(estimates for 2023)
image.png
Gap between PS and Xbox is way bigger this gen. One is doing well compared to Series.
BbV7Gh4.jpg

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Moving goal posts instead of taking the L
Did you remember the goal? It was not moved lol

Feel free to go back and read:

And what I predicted happened if you include the games I was including in the TOP20 that is not tracked by Circana.

But I made some wrong predictions yes… like SF6 that ended selling less than FFXVI in the revenue based chart.

24 Jun 2022
At some point we’ll sound like broken records but again, massive discounts, it’s the fucking holiday season and Xbox is again last in both dollar and unit sales. The hell. In US of all regions they couldn’t even outsell Switch.

Yeah, it's rather shocking. I thought they'd place #2 in both metrics, but to come up behind Switch which saw declines in at least one of those metrics (if not both)? WITH the steep sales on both models, Starfield, Forza, and HiFi Rush as console exclusives?

The console brand has basically become irrelevant now in its strongest market. It doesn't have the brand power to sell competitively with Sony and Nintendo in hardware or software sales. It might've seen a 10% increase over its previous December numbers but it just isn't enough considering the heavy declines in other markets across the globe.

If people want to know why Microsoft are likely shifting their strategy to be more outright multiplatform (not just with legacy/catalog titles but, I'm suspecting, new releases going forward too from the XGS, Zenimax and ABK studios), THIS is the type of market performance for the console driving them towards that direction. There are direct correlations and only the most dense of diehards will deny it.

Guys, how close are Sony gonna be to their target of 25 million?

I'm thinking around 23 to 23.5 million. Hope they can hit the 25 though.

They probably need a little over 5 million this quarter to hit the target; if they hit 30 million at the start of last year, and 50 million as of early December last year, while moving 3.3 million in the first quarter of last year, then they did about 16.7 million between April and early December (or might've been late November) 2024. I'm guessing they did probably something around 3 million PS5s globally for December, or at least from that early December period to sometime early this month.

So a little over 5 million for this quarter to hit the 25 million FY 23 goal, I'd venture.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sales for Spider-Man 2 and God of War Rag are insane

They’re selling numbers like Nintendo software

This is how you keep up the with the profits and revenues from AAA games. They basically will always be sold near Full Prince with the occasional sale to £45-£55
Exactly, Sony cant complain about big budgets and low revenue when they drop their games to $20 after a few months. Gran Turismo 7 is also still charging consistently and hasn't received a deep discount. Seems like they finally learned to stop devaluing their games, sad about HFW though, it definitely would also still be selling well if they didn't throw it on PS+.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Guys, how close are Sony gonna be to their target of 25 million?

I'm thinking around 23 to 23.5 million. Hope they can hit the 25 though.
As pointed out by the Financial Times, data from Ampere Analysis reveals PlayStation sales grew by 65 percent to 22.5 million units this year, outpacing Switch and Xbox sales, which dipped by 18 percent and 15 percent, respectively. That suggests Sony is on track to meet its goal of shipping 25 million consoles by March 2024.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Luffy123

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Exactly, Sony cant complain about big budgets and low revenue when they drop their games to $20 after a few months. Gran Turismo 7 is also still charging consistently and hasn't received a deep discount. Seems like they finally learned to stop devaluing their games, sad about HFW though, it definitely would also still be selling well if they didn't throw it on PS+.

HFW is the only one they've done this for and I'm pretty sure it was a test to see if putting games in Extra tier and then releasing payed DLC a month later would be a way of consistent growth but it doesnt look like it

I think they've found that selling their games close to near to full price but adding free updates like Valhalla or the one for Returnal is a far better strategy of keeping single player AAA first party games in constant discourse

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Hogwarts and Spider-Man 2 being #1 and #2 on PlayStation vs COD being #1 on Xbox is very interesting.

It kinda lines up with the insomniac leak too of PlayStation gamers playing more single player games.

I do hope the trend continues to grow. Building the future of the console around high quality single player experiences is a huge positive in my book.

24 Jun 2022
They're slowly starting to feel what it was like to be a Playstation fan on there during the ABK nonsense.

Or just a fan of gaming in general who isn't an Xbox diehard fanatical fanboy or fangirl. I was a lot more lenient towards Microsoft before the public campaign for the ABK deal kicked into gear, with the constant FUD and smearing tactics against Sony/SIE & PlayStation. That really turned me off from the Xbox side; combined with what I noticed to be smear campaigns by Xbox diehards (and PCMR-adjacents) towards Sony 1P games (the Elden Ring vs. HFW stuff was extremely egregious and part of the reason I bought HFW over Elden Ring. That and HFW looked a lot better visually), I just got more and more tired of the BS from Xbox fans and MS corporate with the smearing tactics and turning the ABK deal into a drawn-out political circus.

Now that everything's basically subsided I'm not as vehemently harsh towards Xbox or MS as I was during the acquisition ordeal. I consider myself more of a realist about the brand, and for the fanboys that's going to come across as be negative a lot of the time no matter what I say. For example it's not like I'm begging them to exit the console business.

But I do think they'd serve themselves and the industry better by not being a console platform holder. IMO that doesn't even mean to stop making hardware; I just think it means making Xbox more like a gaming PC hardware. "Xbox is PC" as some of the diehards have been saying so long...well now MS can actually make that a reality. But some of those same diehards don't like that idea because it'd mean Xbox no longer competing against PlayStation in the traditional console business model sense, and it'd mean MS actually putting their games everywhere...

..which is what both Tim Stuart and Satya Nadella have already said is the game plan.