Circana / Piscatella: US Physical Software Spending Dropped Under 5% of Total Spending in 2023.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm not sure what point he is trying to do lol

We are talking for over a decade that consumers are moving more and more to Digital.
That means Physical will have less revenue every year.
Add others digital only products like subscriptions and you will have a boom in digital revenue compared with physical revenue.

And to be fair that doesn't means nothing at all.
Except purchase are moving from physical to digital and today have more digital products than physical.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
not apples to apples.
Not everything is released on physical.

We saw on insomniac leaks, sony 1st party games ON RELEASE GET 60-70% of sales on physical disc.
Physical is a leading format for 1st party games.

It's just not leading for indie games and for online games.
because indie does not offer physical versions
and online games/gaas games also don't offer physical.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
not apples to apples.
Not everything is released on physical.

We saw on insomniac leaks, sony 1st party games ON RELEASE GET 60-70% of sales on physical disc.
Physical is a leading format for 1st party games.

It's just not leading for indie games and for online games.
because indie does not offer physical versions
and online games/gaas games also don't offer physical.
Sony reports the worldwide game sales split between all PS physical and digital game sales:
image.png

The split is around 75% digital - 25% physical (around 3.3+:1 difference), not the opposite.
The opposite (30% digital -70% physical) was around a decade ago, not now.
The percent of games sold that are digital has been growing over years.
This is the reason (plus extra costs of physical releases) several companies or games did stop physical releases.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Sony reports the worldwide game sales split between all PS physical and digital game sales:
image.png

The split is around 75% digital - 25% physical (around 3.3:1 difference), not the opposite.
This is the reason (plus extra costs of physical releases) several companies or games did stop physical releases.
but what about this?
mbj0C3z.png

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
image.png

The split is around 75% digital - 25% physical (around 3.3:1 difference), not the opposite.
You are full of shit again.

How you can make argument about physical vs digital when games are not released physically?

Yes, Playstation's first party releases physically sold 60%-80% and 3rd party sold physically 35%-50%.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Providing overall data that doesn't separate digital only games and DLC from physical sales is shady as fuck.
That's @Yurinka (and Mat Pigsatella) for you. Digital only games and digital only platforms will naturally tilt the scales as it's the only way to consume the content.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
but what about this?
mbj0C3z.png
I think you don't understand the chart. Look at the "digital %" in the right column, the "launch to date" "net sales (million dollars)":
  • FY2021 titles total: 59% digital (68% in America)
  • FY2020 titles total: 43% digital (54% in America)
  • Catalog (meaning, FY2019 or older including early PS4 games) titles total: 37% (52% in America)
As I said it kept growing over time.

Providing overall data that doesn't separate digital only games and DLC from physical sales is shady as fuck.
The data I provided has "add-on content" reported separatedly, not included in what I quoted (dlc+microtransactions+passes+etc). Obviosly adding that to revenue (something I think souldn't be done, I think it's better to separate physical sales revenue/digital game sales revenue/add-ons revenue) sales would be even bigger.

That's @Yurinka (and Mat Pigsatella) for you. Digital only games and digital only platforms will naturally tilt the scales as it's the only way to consume the content.
You are full of shit again.

How you can make argument about physical vs digital when games are not released physically?

Yes, Playstation's first party releases physically sold 60%-80% and 3rd party sold physically 35%-50%.
If you hate reality and can't accept it, and insult who disagrees with you, you're the one full of shit. Not me.

I only share, accept and explain the available factual market data, independently if I like it or not.

In this case, worlwide physical/digital sales split for all PS games or for Sony games. And that includes digital only games, of course. Includes all the games, not only the ones you decide to cherry pick. And yes, over time in addition to have a pattern of percent of digital revenue/sales increasing, there's also an increase in amount of digital only games because these companies decided that the physical sales they may have don't compensate the extra costs of such physical release.

Last edited: