CNBC: How Sony Beat Microsoft And Nintendo With PlayStation

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pretty black and white. I know it's sensitive for some people especially the few of you who grew up with Nintendo, but they were relegated to a corner of the market by Sony. The instigating event was PlayStation, regardless of how many missteps they had afterwards.
That "corner of the market" has more system sales than yours and dominates release charts ourside of continental Europe.

Edit: And none of you orher Nintendo people should have conceded the argument on whether Switch is a home console. It clearly fullfills that task more than adequately.

And as to the guy saying that Nintendo has declined since the era of Wii and DS, sure, but no more so than Sony declining from the era of PS2 and PSP.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Edit: And none of you orher Nintendo people should have conceded the argument on whether Switch is a home console. It clearly fullfills that task more than adequately.
Umm...no, if it fulfilled that task "more than adequately" then it would have games like Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, GTA 6, it doesn't even have 11 year old GTA 5 😂

It's a hybrid

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Umm...no, if it fulfilled that task "more than adequately" then it would have games like Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, GTA 6, it doesn't even have 11 year old GTA 5 😂

It's a hybrid
Guess home consoles didn't exist prior to 2020 then because nothing prior could run the games you mentioned. It plugs into a tv and the game shows up on said tv with a seperate controller directing gameplay, ergo it fulfills the functions of a home console. As to whether it does that well... the market says "yes, it has."

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Looking for a PS5 or an Xbox Series ... TEN?

just goes to show how awful Xbox's marketing is. :LOL:

Normies have no clue what this thing even is.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That "corner of the market" has more system sales than yours and dominates release charts ourside of continental Europe.

And as to the guy saying that Nintendo has declined since the era of Wii and DS, sure, but no more so than Sony declining from the era of PS2 and PSP.
Lol than 'mine'.

For absolute clarity, the corner of the market Nintendo were brutally shoved into is portables. No, they will never release another home console and no, portables do not have more sales than static consoles, and nor do they generate more revenue.

See: PS4+Xbox One at 180m vs Switch at 140m.

Finally, PSP coincided with the PS3 era, not the PS2.

Save The Wall GIF by RB Leipzig

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Guess home consoles didn't exist prior to 2020 then because nothing prior could run the games you mentioned. It plugs into a tv and the game shows up on said tv with a seperate controller directing gameplay, ergo it fulfills the functions of a home console. As to whether it does that well... the market says "yes, it has."
My Phone plugs into a tv and the game shows up on said tv with a seperate controller directing gameplay, ergo it fulfills the functions of a home console. As to whether it does that well...

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nitnendo surrendered and quit the home console market after generations of getting their ass beat.

Gameboy and Pokemon saved their ass. Then DS saved their ass. Then Switch… All handheld hardware and software.

Switch IS NOT a home console. Never was. That’s just fanboy copium to pretend it is.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
PS1 : 102.49 > N64 : 32.93
PS2 : 159.2 > NGC : 21.74

PS3 : 87.4 < Wii : 101.63
PS4 : 117.6 > Wii U : 13.56
Even the wii wasn't a huge win for nintendo, for hardware sales atleast.

Only around 14 million difference in hardware sales.

Sony as bad as their losses were that gen, they came out really good from that generation due to the latter half.

Nintendo didn't really come out well in home console market, as they has no idea how to carry momentum.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Even the wii wasn't a huge win for nintendo, for hardware sales atleast.

Only around 14 million difference in hardware sales.

Sony as bad as their losses were that gen, they came out really good from that generation due to the latter half.

Nintendo didn't really come out well in home console market, as they has no idea how to carry momentum.
It's true that the gap isn't as big as the others, but that was the only time Nintendo finished ahead of Sony on home consoles, and after the failure of the Wii u they abandoned that sector to concentrate solely on portable consoles with the Switch.

• 5th Gen = 87.2 (GBC : 54.27 + N64 : 32.93)
  • 6th Gen = 103.25 (GBA : 81.51 + NGC : 21.74)
  • 7th Gen = 255.65 (Nintendo DS : 154.02 + Wii : 101.63)
  • 8th Gen = 89.5 (Nintendo 3DS : 75.94 + Wii U : 13.56)

• 8th Gen < > 9th Gen = 139.36 (Switch)

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
If we include portables, Nintendo has always won

Totally wrong.

5th Gen
  • Nintendo : 87.20 (GBC : 54.27 + N64 : 32.93)
  • Sony : 101.49 (PS1)
6th Gen
  • Nintendo : 103.25 (GBA : 81.51 + NGC : 21.74)
  • Sony : 159.20 (PS2)
7th Gen
  • Nintendo : 255.65 (Nintendo DS : 154.02 + Wii : 101.63)
  • Sony : 169.91 (PSP : 82.51 + PS3 : 87.4)
8th Gen
  • Nintendo : 89.50 (Nintendo 3DS : 75.94 + Wii U : 13.56)
  • Sony : 130.75 (PSV : 13.15 + PS4 : 117.6)

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Totally wrong.

5th Gen
  • Nintendo : 87.20 (GBC : 54.27 + N64 : 32.93)
  • Sony : 101.49 (PS1)
6th Gen
  • Nintendo : 103.25 (GBA : 81.51 + NGC : 21.74)
  • Sony : 159.20 (PS2)
7th Gen
  • Nintendo : 255.65 (Nintendo DS : 154.02 + Wii : 101.63)
  • Sony : 169.91 (PSP : 82.51 + PS3 : 87.4)
8th Gen
  • Nintendo : 89.50 (Nintendo 3DS : 75.94 + Wii U : 13.56)
  • Sony : 130.75 (PSV : 13.15 + PS4 : 117.6)
Now this is what I like to see. I was under the same impression as Box, so to see that regardless of whether you combine them or not, Sony has always won except in the PS3 gen really puts things into perspective.

Reactions: The Icon and Evilms
OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Reddit

CNBC also re-reports the news related to one of Sony's earnings that 50% of Sony's investment will be going into new IPs by 2025, comparing to just 20% back in 2019.

Shawn Layden on Sony and Nintendo cooperation in 1998:
Just when we were about to announce the launch of this, Nintendo backed off and they ended up going with Philips for their optical disc format, and Sony was kind of left at the altar standing here with this beautiful compact disc reader.

Jim Ryan on the launch of PlayStation:
Before the launch, there was considerable uncertainty. We were moving into a space that had two pretty entrenched occupants, Nintendo and Sega. There was no way that we could assume that we were going to be successful. And it was really not until the day of launch, we wake up that morning and we saw big queeus outside, retailers of excited people waiting to get their hands on their PlayStation, that we realized we were probably on to something there.

Shawn Layden on the price of PlayStation:
That was throwing the gantlet down. Its like, PlayStation is not here to play, we're here to win, and we're going to come in $100 under all of you. But it just blew the doors off when people thought, wow, Sony's not here to dip their toes in the water, they're jumping all in. From the beginnig, the company knew just being a tech company isn't enough. You had to bring some secret sause in for the entertaiment world. And by doing a joint venture between Sony Music and Sony Electronics, I think that was the key to the early succsess of PlayStation. We put like, The Matrix into a box with a PS2, you don't like games but you want to watch this movie? DVD was a real accelerant for the PlayStation 2 adoption.

Shawn Layden on the PlayStation 3:
Our Icarus moment was when we launced the PlayStation 3. We created a huge hole in the bottom line that we needed to fill over time. The machine was incredibly expensive. The company picked itself up, brush itself off, came up with some of the most amazing games of the generation; Uncharted began on PS3, Killzone was on PS3, Resistance was on PS3, and knew that we had to win out by not being a computer in the living room, but by being a game machine in you house.

Jim Ryan on the PlayStaion 3:
I think if I had to kind of encapsulate PlayStation 3 generation, I think I'd sort of say that maybe we got a bit too carried away with the succsess that we'd been enjoying on PlayStation 2, and we kind of stumbled a little bit at the start of that generation, and the early days were difficult.

Hermen Hulst on the PlayStation 3:
It was very very powerful, but it was also very expensive, and it was frankly hard to develop for. We needed to work really hard with some amazing franchises.

Shawn Layden on first-party & third-party content:
The PlayStation depended on third-party developers and publishers to bring content in. We built a platform, we built some software, but the majority of the opporyunity was spread againts Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Namco, Capcom. Sony was happy not to be the biggest publisher on the platform as long as they could increase it. It wan't about taking shares of the pie, it was about making the pie itself bigger. And I think that was a difference of approach that helped the company to be successful.

Jim Ryan on the ABK deal:
The reason that we felt this one was different to anything that had happened in the past, was the sheer size and importance of the Call of Duty franchise. So we were absolutely thrilled to be able to negotiate a deal with Microsoft to ensure that that franchies remains availaible on PlayStation platforms for the next 10 years, and that was very important to us, and we're very happy to have done that deal.

Shawn Layden on industry consolidation:
I see the consolidation in the industry. I see people like Microsoft or Embracer or some groups out of Saudi Arabia buying up a bunch of studios. I see consolidation to be the enemy of creativity. If we've commoditized the product, you're just going to get more of the same.

Jim Ryan on Cloud gaming:
I've lost count of the number of times over very many years that people have said the era of console is over. Cloud will emerge and it will over time become a significant component of the way people enjoy interactive entertainment, but its not there yet.

Shawn Layden on Cloud Gaming:
The fact that there is a rural broadband initiative in the federal government indicates that rural broadband needs work.