Concord Beta Impressions (Starts At 10AM PST / 1PM EST / 12PM CST)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm tempted to buy the game again because of Signal Chase... I Wanna chat with whoever thought this mode and Area Control weren't deserving to be the default modes from the very first beta lmao.

Signal Chase is so hectic and fun.. they should extend the beta again for next weekend 😫🤣

I'm gonna hop on later and get some games, been busy today

I think theres like 6-8 modes, I remember seeing it somewhere in the settings or how to play.

Im enjoying the mode, but its the only one where Ive felt my spawns are always miles away from everyone or the objective lol. Im sure it will be fixed up, these games are always getting tweaked.

DOA or not, either way Im in. Been playing with a Destiny friend and it just makes it even better with a mic team.

Sony should of really done a campaign with this, its a way to get single player gamers to buy your game and maybe try the MP modes. Its just bad management and not thinking about the advantages your fanbase gives.

Yeah character designs are mostly bad, majority are not good and uninspired. But some are fine, no worse than Fornite or OverWatch. The presentaton and graphics are better than most competitors out there.

Alot of the outrage is just typical bs every PS exclusive games get. Online, forums social media is too tribal and hive minded for me. And way too obvious. People cant think for themselves and want to be part of a majority, especially if its to cancel something lol.
Where was this outrage when Overwatch came out? Or Apex Legends?
Non of these twats complained about Overwatch’s or Apex’s woke characters…. Becoming pretty obvious to me

It’s just because Sony is making this. All of the sudden this is the straw that breaks the woke camels back?…. Im not buying it. Cancel agenda and Sony exclusives go together. They will all be back to loving woke stuff in a few months

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
GTFpYg4XcAA2_MG

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me
24 Jun 2022
@Kokoloko Uh dude...Overwatch 2 was declared DEAD when it came out because Blizzard were screwing up before the game launched, big time. Apex Legends had a slow start IIRC; it wasn't until Season 2 or 3 where it finally found its footing.

As for those games having "woke" characters....I think this is where you've got a misunderstanding. Diversity doesn't inherently mean woke. Overwatch and Apex Legends are definitely diverse, no doubt (so is VALORANT), but the characters are still visually interesting, mostly avoid the worst of modern-day idpol nonsense, and fit well among the rest of the cast. They're good examples of diversity done right, and that's probably because they took cues from fighting games like Tekken, DOA, Street Fighter etc. which have also had very diverse casts and done very well by them (more or less).

Concord's idea of diversity apparently involves an androgynous blueberry human planet of a character, a robot with pronouns, and an "interesting" absence of white characters altogether save one (unless you also count "white-coded" Lennox....jeez I hate the "coded" concept and Steven Universe for making it mainstream :S)

Also thing is, both Apex & OW2 had magnitudes more people interested in playing their early betas let alone at launch, and that's something about Concord which can't be denied. You can personally find the game just fine and enjoyable; fact is the vast majority aren't even interested to give it the time of day. We're trying to find out why a game's open beta had less players than a closed beta which didn't even crack 2400 on one of the largest gaming platforms out there (Steam).

Now yes the player numbers could be significantly better on PS5, but that's just theory work on our end. SIE don't provide player numbers or such data publicly, the most we get are ranking charts and even those don't tell much. For example Concord supposedly debuted at #29, as did VALORANT during its beta. However, VALORANT'S total player count could've been 2x, 3x, even 4x that of Concord's despite debuts at the same ranking. Just no way to tell.

Now of course there's a small percentage out there dogging the game because it's a PlayStation exclusive, because it's a SIE GAAS, because they don't want SIE to be successful in this venture. I've even seen some idiots on ResetERA try using the Concord drama to retroactively tear down Helldivers 2, Slaythe for example is a big culprit in that (the one with the Android 17 avatar, in case I spelled their name wrong). But these people are not forming the majority of discourse around Concord.

Maybe it's just easier to accept that a majority of would-be players just have no interest in the game due to any combination of the character designs, middling WOM (even from bad first impressions that didn't "get" the game), lack of marketing post-May SOP (was Concord at any of the PC summer game showcases?), the $40 price (probably one of the least significant factors, considering it worked just fine for Helldivers 2), the game just not standing out enough amid competition, or any combination of those. All of which would be legitimate reasons to explain the dismal Steam numbers and likely lukewarm PS5 numbers as well.

Also at the end of the day, it's SIE's game to fight for. What am I supposed to do to clap back against dismal narratives based on dead Concord numbers from Steam? Use hypothetical PS5 player numbers that I'd have no means of verifying? Why would I go to bat for a game where the majority of character designs aren't even to my liking? Where the idea of being forced to play as a roster of characters to get perks for the one character I would genuinely want to play, doesn't seem enticing as a game mechanic? As-is Concord's made it way too easy to pick it apart without even touching the irrational "it's a PS exclusive and I gotta shill my anti-exclusivity talking point (but only when it's PlayStation)" route.

Which, again, I've seen some people basically try doing, but they don't constitute even 5% of total discourse with the game IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Alot of the outrage is just typical bs every PS exclusive games get. Online, forums social media is too tribal and hive minded for me. And way too obvious. People cant think for themselves and want to be part of a majority, especially if its to cancel something lol.

It’s just because Sony is making this. All of the sudden this is the straw that breaks the woke camels back?…. Im not buying it. Cancel agenda and Sony exclusives go together. They will all be back to loving woke stuff in a few months
I tend to agree with this. The hardcore gaming space 100% has it out for Sony, which has always confuses me, as they are one of the few publishers left that emphasizes on quality games and have the track record to boot.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
@Kokoloko Uh dude...Overwatch 2 was declared DEAD when it came out because Blizzard were screwing up before the game launched, big time. Apex Legends had a slow start IIRC; it wasn't until Season 2 or 3 where it finally found its footing.

As for those games having "woke" characters....I think this is where you've got a misunderstanding. Diversity doesn't inherently mean woke. Overwatch and Apex Legends are definitely diverse, no doubt (so is VALORANT), but the characters are still visually interesting, mostly avoid the worst of modern-day idpol nonsense, and fit well among the rest of the cast. They're good examples of diversity done right, and that's probably because they took cues from fighting games like Tekken, DOA, Street Fighter etc. which have also had very diverse casts and done very well by them (more or less).

Concord's idea of diversity apparently involves an androgynous blueberry human planet of a character, a robot with pronouns, and an "interesting" absence of white characters altogether save one (unless you also count "white-coded" Lennox....jeez I hate the "coded" concept and Steven Universe for making it mainstream :S)

Also thing is, both Apex & OW2 had magnitudes more people interested in playing their early betas let alone at launch, and that's something about Concord which can't be denied. You can personally find the game just fine and enjoyable; fact is the vast majority aren't even interested to give it the time of day. We're trying to find out why a game's open beta had less players than a closed beta which didn't even crack 2400 on one of the largest gaming platforms out there (Steam).

Now yes the player numbers could be significantly better on PS5, but that's just theory work on our end. SIE don't provide player numbers or such data publicly, the most we get are ranking charts and even those don't tell much. For example Concord supposedly debuted at #29, as did VALORANT during its beta. However, VALORANT'S total player count could've been 2x, 3x, even 4x that of Concord's despite debuts at the same ranking. Just no way to tell.

Now of course there's a small percentage out there dogging the game because it's a PlayStation exclusive, because it's a SIE GAAS, because they don't want SIE to be successful in this venture. I've even seen some idiots on ResetERA try using the Concord drama to retroactively tear down Helldivers 2, Slaythe for example is a big culprit in that (the one with the Android 17 avatar, in case I spelled their name wrong). But these people are not forming the majority of discourse around Concord.

Maybe it's just easier to accept that a majority of would-be players just have no interest in the game due to any combination of the character designs, middling WOM (even from bad first impressions that didn't "get" the game), lack of marketing post-May SOP (was Concord at any of the PC summer game showcases?), the $40 price (probably one of the least significant factors, considering it worked just fine for Helldivers 2), the game just not standing out enough amid competition, or any combination of those. All of which would be legitimate reasons to explain the dismal Steam numbers and likely lukewarm PS5 numbers as well.

Also at the end of the day, it's SIE's game to fight for. What am I supposed to do to clap back against dismal narratives based on dead Concord numbers from Steam? Use hypothetical PS5 player numbers that I'd have no means of verifying? Why would I go to bat for a game where the majority of character designs aren't even to my liking? Where the idea of being forced to play as a roster of characters to get perks for the one character I would genuinely want to play, doesn't seem enticing as a game mechanic? As-is Concord's made it way too easy to pick it apart without even touching the irrational "it's a PS exclusive and I gotta shill my anti-exclusivity talking point (but only when it's PlayStation)" route.

Which, again, I've seen some people basically try doing, but they don't constitute even 5% of total discourse with the game IMHO.

I agree with some of the stuff you say, but to me theres not much difference in overwatch and apex’s diversity to Concord. They all have pronouns and such too. Im not saying the characters designs aren't better but they arent exactly great themselves. Nothing to write home about.

The reason the beta isn’t being approached better. Well most people are shitting on it and people love to follow along who havent played it. People are rooting for it to fail. Thats plenty of reasons to ignore it the game because theres a giant bandwagon hating it.

Yes your right, the marketing and lack of inspiration for character designs isnt great. But its a good shooter. Im sure if people try it with an open opinion it wouldnt be as hated. Right now its fun to hate the game, so most people will go with that.

If the game had a campaign and PVE at least and 70% of the characters being better designed, theres no reasons the game couldnt be a hit. Presentation, gunplay, music is all great quality. The gunplay is better than most.

I mean theres 2 white characters. TBH I dont really pay attention, its just alot of the characters look like poop, but for me so did Overwatch.

I dont expect people to defend it because they are PS fans. Theres not much to defend when it comes to stats. All Im saying its a decent game. The studio can make a shooter, it would be a waste to get rid of them.
And I think if Sony was smart enough, they would of given the game a campaign and put some quality check in character designs and you’d have a success.
Good 1st person shooter studios are rare, Sony needs a good few as alot of publishers have more than 1 or 2 atm

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Managed come into a lobby last night with my friendsl with 3 other guys using mics, and one of them said they discovered it yesterday through a YouTube ad and told his friends whom I played with as well.

So we all partied up and they were all racing how this was better than Overwatch. I really do think this game has potential but the marketing has done it a disservice in reaching the actual audience it was meant for.

They are all planning to buy it as well, they also liked the characters, funny enough.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Managed come into a lobby last night with my friendsl with 3 other guys using mics, and one of them said they discovered it yesterday through a YouTube ad and told his friends whom I played with as well.

So we all partied up and they were all racing how this was better than Overwatch. I really do think this game has potential but the marketing has done it a disservice in reaching the actual audience it was meant for.

They are all planning to buy it as well, they also liked the characters, funny enough.
Well the game will have at least a total of 5 lol. Better than Destruction All Stars.
Anyone else like the music as much as me?

Reactions: ethomaz

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Best scores I put out this beta was 20-1, 23-4
Kyps into Roka turns roka into a infinite grenade shooting machine. Excited for release.

Roka into Kyps is also nice, as she can stay invisible the entire time as long as you keep dodging. The only time she should she visible is when she's going for a kill.

ended with 700 kills and 12 hours played.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I don't think it is the marketing.

People already set the game to fail before even know what it was.

I know "ifs" doesn't exists but I wonder if it was not a Sony game maybe people could be praising it right now instead to hating because there are a lot more "controversial" games (including on PC) that got praised.

Seems like the same hate thing that happened with Helldrivers 2.

The game is better than Overwatch 2... anybody that play it will understand but the hates continue.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't think it is the marketing.

People already set the game to fail before even know what it was.

I know "ifs" doesn't exists but I wonder if it was not a Sony game maybe people could be praising it right now instead to hating because there are a lot more "controversial" games (including on PC) that got praised.

Seems like the same hate thing that happened with Helldrivers 2.

The game is better than Overwatch 2... anybody that play it will understand but the hates continue.

Yep, it was more than marketing. A side of there own fans from the initial trailer and finding out it was a MP game wanted it to fail. Before the characters or gameplay showing.

Then the anti PS shilldom uses anything they can to have negative press on any PS game.
HellDivers was getting alot of hate too, it was just a different native.. Just like most PS games before they are released.

I admit I thought the purchase of the studio was a waste of time and should of invested else where ( my posts were anti FireSprite) but now I think it was a good purchase. They clearly know gunplay better than most and presentation is good quality (we all know the issues with character design). I never wanted it to fail and knew Sony needed MP games but I wasnt a fan of the purchase etc.

Nydius

26 Jun 2024

This is pure copium. The game is a derivative mess that plays worse than any of the other F2P options available. Overwatch 2 absolutely obliterates Concord in every conceivable way. $40 pay-to-play, PS+ subscription required (or PSN linking required on PC), for a fundamentally inferior hero shooter that is beaten by every other F2P competitor in terms of gameplay, unlocks, cosmetics, and design.

The idea that people are hating on it because they want Sony to fail is one of the most ludicrously idiotic things I've read on any forum. The game is bad. The end.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is pure copium. The game is a derivative mess that plays worse than any of the other F2P options available. Overwatch 2 absolutely obliterates Concord in every conceivable way. $40 pay-to-play, PS+ subscription required (or PSN linking required on PC), for a fundamentally inferior hero shooter that is beaten by every other F2P competitor in terms of gameplay, unlocks, cosmetics, and design.

The idea that people are hating on it because they want Sony to fail is one of the most ludicrously idiotic things I've read on any forum. The game is bad. The end.
People hated it before it was show any character...

And yes... Overwatch 2 is not good at all... play both and come back.
Plus I don't consider F2P model good at all... it is ridiculous bad in OW2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

So you dont think there are gaming fans out there who root for the “opposing” platform to fail in there games?

And you dont think theres a bunch of PS fans who hate anything that sounds like gaas/mp and want those games and “Jim Ryans” games to fail?

You must be ignoring 50% of gaming forums and social media then

The game doesnt play worse than any other Game like it? The gunplay is pretty solid and better than most.
And of course it will have less content then those games that have been out for years longer.

Imagine if Sony made HellDivers 2 F2F like others. Thats a loss of 12million sales. Would be surprised if it goes F2F but its not the wisest choice for all there MP games.