Concord Beta Impressions (Starts At 10AM PST / 1PM EST / 12PM CST)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I've been avoiding this thread and the only time I comment is if someone tags me or if there's a question I can answer that has nothing to do with actually playing the slop👇Like letting people know its DOA.
The insults were removed from your post.

No need for insults guys, have a bit of respect for eachother and keep the forum peaceful. We are adults.

No warnings have been given but the mods will be watching.

❤️

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
But PC is not the only platform and is less important to Sony than PS5. It is also not the first time that a title has sold better on console than on PC. As far as I know, Fortnite is played much more on Playstation than on PC, and games like Counterstrike and Valorant are much more popular on PC. CoD is also, as far as I know, more successful on console than on PC. Any player numbers on PC are therefore of little significance.

Only Sony knows how well it is received on the PS5 and what the status of pre-orders is. Even if the title sells below the set targets, Sony is not known for discontinuing titles immediately. Predator certainly did not sell well either and was only made available late on PS+ and finally the developer has now received all distribution rights from Sony to re-release it for PS5 and the Xbox platforms. Despite its flop status, Destruction Allstars has been completely reworked and is still playable. Sony already had a surprising mega-seller with Helldivers 2 and if I remember correctly, the developer hoped to reach 500,000 players.

The question is what Sony's short-term and long-term expectations are. Anyone who buys it for PS5 will ultimately be a paying PS+ subscriber. Pure sales figures are less important for games like this than players who invest time and money. There are many multiplayer games that fly under the radar but have a healthy little community. What's much more interesting is how the future of Concord is planned. Sony only got involved as a partner in production at the time and was convinced enough by the quality to buy the title from another publisher and buy Firewalk straight away. There are also indications that PvE is coming, something that makes sense given the weekly story snippets. After the CGI character/story trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is even planning an animated series based on the universe and the crew.

Personally, I enjoyed the betas and the slower gameplay suits me very well, so I'll be pre-ordering it in August. Ultimately, there are only three scenarios: 1. it will be released as planned and Sony will support it as planned and hope that the quality will bring more players and therefore paying customers on board 2. they postpone the title until early 2025 in order to include a PvE mode, among other things, and to boost marketing 3. they release it directly on PS+ Essential or Extra, build in stronger MTX or offer a $40 premium upgrade to get all content priority and for free, everyone else can unlock new heroes via a battle pass with a delay.

But I would be interested to know whether the title was always planned as F2P and Sony decided to sell it for $40 to offset costs. But we'll probably never know. If Sony isn't stupid, they could also offer skins or other collabs with Killzone and Resistance. But that's all music of the future. IMO, Concord is still a title with enormous quality and a lot of potential, I would be surprised if Sony now panics about PC. Helldivers 2 brought in enough money to support Concord for a long time.
The question wasn't how long will Sony support it, the question was how will it do sales wise, and it's obvious that it won't do well. Sony wouldn't have opened the early access beta to all PS+ members if the preorder numbers were good. And the PC open beta is barely doing better than the "closed beta" was, and now it can't even do half of its peak which means people aren't coming back to it and aren't recommending it to their friends. And on PS5 store the beta has 2.5 stars review 😂 Yeah that doesn't bode well for the games future at all.

And I said it supposed to do best on PC because Overwatch was always way bigger on PC than it was on console. So the largest target audience for this game WOULD be the PC market, and they clearly don't vibe with it 🤷‍♂️

I'm glad you enjoy it and I hope Sony supports it for as long as they can for the people that do enjoy it, but this definitely isn't gonna be a big seller.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I will try it 😍
Gotta say this mode is LEGIT. Why did they not have this as the default mode from the very start? I truly have to wonder what brain de@d clown is running the marketing for this game lol.

This is is exactly how the game should be played.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No sir, DOA. Can't even get 3k players on a free open beta on PC, where this game is supposed to do the best.
Suppose to do the best?

I wonder if instantaneous matchmaking in PS5 while PC is 3-5 minutes is due PC supposed to be the best lol

PS5 has no issue with population in this beta.
Crossplay is a fucking non issue to us PS players that PC and Xbox players made up to cover their inability of play games 🤷‍♂️

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Suppose to do the best?

I wonder if instantaneous matchmaking in PS5 while PC is 3-5 minutes is due PC supposed to be the best lol

PS5 has no issue with population in this beta.
Crossplay is a fucking non issue to us PS players that PC and Xbox players made up to cover their inability of play games 🤷‍♂️
Yes, this game was built with PC gamers in mind and PC would be the largest audience for this game if it was actually relevant.
I said it supposed to do best on PC because Overwatch was always way bigger on PC than it was on console. So the largest target audience for this game WOULD be the PC market, and they clearly don't vibe with it 🤷‍♂️

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This game was built with PC gamers in mind? So why is the PS5 version so polished compared to the PC version? I just love how PC is now the determinator for a PS Multiplayer success. Let's ignore the fact... PlayStation is responsible for some of the most popular multiplayer games of the last decade even blowing up.

PC guys will be begging for Cross-play, PS5 players will never need it

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes, this game was built with PC gamers in mind and PC would be the largest audience for this game if it was actually relevant.
That is not exactly true.

Overwatch that was paid have to e follow split at launch:

PS4: 47%
Xbox One: 35%
PC: 18%

Not sure if changed over time but it was very console centric.

BTW most first person shooters sells better on consoles so including CoD.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This game was built with PC gamers in mind? So why is the PS5 version so polished compared to the PC version? I just love how PC is now the determinator for a PS Multiplayer success. Let's ignore the fact... PlayStation is responsible for some of the most popular multiplayer games of the last decade even blowing up.

PC guys will be begging for Cross-play, PS5 players will never need it
It was, I was one of the only people on this site saying that Sony shouldn't even put GAAS titles on PC. But facts are facts. The only reason Sony acquired them was because of their PC initiative

That is not exactly true.

Overwatch that was paid have to e follow split at launch:

PS4: 47%
Xbox One: 35%
PC: 18%

Not sure if changed over time but it was very console centric.

BTW most first person shooters sells better on consoles so including CoD.
Where did you get these figures from? Overwatch is (was) massive in Korea and China and they all play on PC 🤔

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
The question wasn't how long will Sony support it, the question was how will it do sales wise, and it's obvious that it won't do well. Sony wouldn't have opened the early access beta to all PS+ members if the preorder numbers were good. And the PC open beta is barely doing better than the "closed beta" was, and now it can't even do half of its peak which means people aren't coming back to it and aren't recommending it to their friends. And on PS5 store the beta has 2.5 stars review 😂 Yeah that doesn't bode well for the games future at all.

And I said it supposed to do best on PC because Overwatch was always way bigger on PC than it was on console. So the largest target audience for this game WOULD be the PC market, and they clearly don't vibe with it 🤷‍♂️

I'm glad you enjoy it and I hope Sony supports it for as long as they can for the people that do enjoy it, but this definitely isn't gonna be a big seller.
Of course it's also about how long a game is supported. I was one of the stupid people who trusted EA and bought Anthem Day 1. With Sony, I'm sure they won't stop supporting it after just one year. Ubisoft quickly stopped several F2P titles, but supported all paid games like The Crew, The Division, For Honour for many years. Skull & Bones, which obviously didn't sell well either, will probably be supported for years because every game that is bought has a core group of players who play it for years. That's why I think it's right that Sony doesn't offer Helldivers or Concord as F2P.

The ratings in the PSN store are completely meaningless. When the closed beta was only running for a few minutes, some people were already giving it 1* stars, simply because they hated the design or simply didn't want games like that from Sony. The FIFA and CoD games have low ratings every year, and yet these games are bought by millions every year.

Comparing Concord to Overwatch makes about as much sense as comparing CoD to Fortnite. They both play completely differently and the gameplay is much closer to Halo and Destiny, which is logical when you look at who developed it. I also don't understand why you're obviously happy when a game potentially flops, a studio closes and developers become unemployed. Sony was right to give PS+ users access to the closed beta, after all these players are the target group and console users have more difficult conditions for returning a game. PC gamers can obviously still return games on Steam even after 60+ hours, as seen with Helldivers 2. And of course the pre-order numbers aren't particularly high yet, because not everyone pre-orders digitally 6 weeks in advance and pay straight away.

In my country it's currently ahead of bigger titles like Silent Hill 2, Space Marine 2 and EDF 6, which is coming out next week. But as I said, only Sony knows how many people are playing the beta, for how long and how often it has been pre-ordered. As a console gamer, I don't really care whether it's successful on PC or not.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Of course it's also about how long a game is supported. I was one of the stupid people who trusted EA and bought Anthem Day 1. With Sony, I'm sure they won't stop supporting it after just one year. Ubisoft quickly stopped several F2P titles, but supported all paid games like The Crew, The Division, For Honour for many years. Skull & Bones, which obviously didn't sell well either, will probably be supported for years because every game that is bought has a core group of players who play it for years. That's why I think it's right that Sony doesn't offer Helldivers or Concord as F2P.

The ratings in the PSN store are completely meaningless. When the closed beta was only running for a few minutes, some people were already giving it 1* stars, simply because they hated the design or simply didn't want games like that from Sony. The FIFA and CoD games have low ratings every year, and yet these games are bought by millions every year.

Comparing Concord to Overwatch makes about as much sense as comparing CoD to Fortnite. They both play completely differently and the gameplay is much closer to Halo and Destiny, which is logical when you look at who developed it. I also don't understand why you're obviously happy when a game potentially flops, a studio closes and developers become unemployed. Sony was right to give PS+ users access to the closed beta, after all these players are the target group and console users have more difficult conditions for returning a game. PC gamers can obviously still return games on Steam even after 60+ hours, as seen with Helldivers 2. And of course the pre-order numbers aren't particularly high yet, because not everyone pre-orders digitally 6 weeks in advance and pay straight away.

In my country it's currently ahead of bigger titles like Silent Hill 2, Space Marine 2 and EDF 6, which is coming out next week. But as I said, only Sony knows how many people are playing the beta, for how long and how often it has been pre-ordered. As a console gamer, I don't really care whether it's successful on PC or not.
Ok then, let's wait and see how it does.

Saying it shouldn't be compared to Overwatch makes no sense, both are team based hero shooters 😂 what other games like it are on the market?!? CoD and Fortnite are very obviously different, there's a reason why everyone sees Concord as an OW clone, don't be disingenuous. And imo F2P won't save this game, but there's a 1% chance to salvage it and that's only by going F2P, because all of its main competitors are free. Overwatch is free, Valorant is free, and Destiny 2 is (technically) free. But the issue is that almost all the Concord characters are hideous, who wants to pay for cosmetics for these awful characters? 😂😂😂 The game is already not doing well and to charge $40 on top of that when the superior alternatives are free is just pure stupidity.

I also don't understand why you're obviously happy when a game potentially flops, a studio closes and developers become unemployed.
Why would I be happy if this game flops? 😂😂 Isn't it obvious?

1. These lazy virtue signalling pricks don't deserve any success 🤣
2. Sony should know better that we won't accept this slop from 1st party. At least the old Sony did, this will remind them and they'll go back to making actual good games.
3. It's a stain on Hulst's record which will bring us closer to him being fired/demoted
4. The game is simply garbage

Only good things can come from this game flopping.

• brain

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It was, I was one of the only people on this site saying that Sony shouldn't even put GAAS titles on PC. But facts are facts. The only reason Sony acquired them was because of their PC initiative
Or they acquired them because they have no FPS studio at the time and maybe the game showed huge potential at that time? The only studio that was bought for PC initiative outright was Nixxies

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Or they acquired them because they have no FPS studio at the time and maybe the game showed huge potential at that time? The only studio that was bought for PC initiative outright was Nixxies
Incorrect, this entire aggressive GAAS push was purely because of their PC initiative because single player games flop on PC while GAAS slop excels.

• brain

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
But anyways back to Signal Chase... Yeah it's gonna keep me playing this all weekend. I wss just about to be done with it.

The best part is the mode makes everyone want to work together as a team and in return guess what? You're hardly seeing any quitting at all... Wow!!! Who would have thought.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Maybe keep the garbage hottake analysis to the engagement thread and the impressions thread to those who are actually playing it. Just a thought.

Terrible content in here. The clowns made it a circus.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Maybe keep the garbage hottake analysis to the engagement thread and the impressions thread to those who are actually playing it. Just a thought.

Terrible content in here. The clowns made it a circus.
Convinced most here don't play games because like, you can rarely have a discussion going about gameplay lol

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Ok then, let's wait and see how it does.

Saying it shouldn't be compared to Overwatch makes no sense, both are team based hero shooters 😂 what other games like it are on the market?!? CoD and Fortnite are very obviously different, there's a reason why everyone sees Concord as an OW clone, don't be disingenuous. And imo F2P won't save this game, but there's a 1% chance to salvage it and that's only by going F2P, because all of its main competitors are free. Overwatch is free, Valorant is free, and Destiny 2 is (technically) free. But the issue is that almost all the Concord characters are hideous, who wants to pay for cosmetics for these awful characters? 😂😂😂 The game is already not doing well and to charge $40 on top of that when the superior alternatives are free is just pure stupidity.

Why would I be happy if this game flops? 😂😂 Isn't it obvious?

1. These lazy virtue signalling pricks don't deserve any success 🤣
2. Sony should know better that we won't accept this slop from 1st party. At least the old Sony did, this will remind them and they'll go back to making actual good games.
3. It's a stain on Hulst's record which will bring us closer to him being fired/demoted
4. The game is simply garbage

Only good things can come from this game flopping.
Okay, so you really are just a troll? I have no idea how you got the idea that Playstation fans don't want games like Concord. Especially in the PS3 era, there was a wide range of options for gamers with Warhawk, MAG, Socom, and countless multiplayer modes for Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, Last of US.

Today there are really only 2 big relevant games, CoD and Fortnite, while titles like OW, Apex Legends or Battlefield can't keep up with their success. Even Halo isn't particularly relevant anymore. From that perspective, I think it's good that Sony is trying to find its own niche with Concord. It worked with Helldivers 2, and I'm sure you hoped it would flop too.

What users like you don't understand is that it can only be a good thing when Sony is successful with games like Concord. Given the production costs of AAA titles, a flop can result in Sony losing 300 million in development and marketing costs. Sony Santa Monica was already on the verge of closure and the God of War reboot was the last straw. Fortunately it was a success, but it can quickly happen that studios like Santa Monica, Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog or Insomniac are quickly faced with closure if a title flops. It is important to have other sources of income that can absorb such losses. Look at what is currently going on at Xbox and how many studios Sony has closed in recent years after flops. Drive Club = flop and studio closed, Gravity Rush 2 megaflop (unfortunately) = studio closed, Sony Liverpool Studio hasn't released anything successful for years and has closed, Media Molecule will probably be the next to be closed if the next title flops like Dreams.

As mentioned, service games like Concord, Fairgames or Helldivers 2 can, as mentioned, make up for lost revenue because such games can generate revenue for years. So in my opinion it was a smart decision to buy Bungie, even if I don't understand why Sony hasn't used the Destiny license for a series and films long ago. But anything could still happen. Anyway, I'm out of the discussion then. I'm afraid you just want to troll and you're not even a Playstation fan, otherwise you wouldn't hope that games flop.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Okay, so you really are just a troll? I have no idea how you got the idea that Playstation fans don't want games like Concord. Especially in the PS3 era, there was a wide range of options for gamers with Warhawk, MAG, Socom, and countless multiplayer modes for Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, Last of US.

Today there are really only 2 big relevant games, CoD and Fortnite, while titles like OW, Apex Legends or Battlefield can't keep up with their success. Even Halo isn't particularly relevant anymore. From that perspective, I think it's good that Sony is trying to find its own niche with Concord. It worked with Helldivers 2, and I'm sure you hoped it would flop too.

What users like you don't understand is that it can only be a good thing when Sony is successful with games like Concord. Given the production costs of AAA titles, a flop can result in Sony losing 300 million in development and marketing costs. Sony Santa Monica was already on the verge of closure and the God of War reboot was the last straw. Fortunately it was a success, but it can quickly happen that studios like Santa Monica, Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog or Insomniac are quickly faced with closure if a title flops. It is important to have other sources of income that can absorb such losses. Look at what is currently going on at Xbox and how many studios Sony has closed in recent years after flops. Drive Club = flop and studio closed, Gravity Rush 2 megaflop (unfortunately) = studio closed, Sony Liverpool Studio hasn't released anything successful for years and has closed, Media Molecule will probably be the next to be closed if the next title flops like Dreams.

As mentioned, service games like Concord, Fairgames or Helldivers 2 can, as mentioned, make up for lost revenue because such games can generate revenue for years. So in my opinion it was a smart decision to buy Bungie, even if I don't understand why Sony hasn't used the Destiny license for a series and films long ago. But anything could still happen. Anyway, I'm out of the discussion then. I'm afraid you just want to troll and you're not even a Playstation fan, otherwise you wouldn't hope that games flop.
Lol nope, why are you assuming? I never wanted Helldivers to flop, I've never played the game because I know it's not my style, but I've NEVER said anything bad about it. I did say the CEO and community managers are retarded, which they are, but I didn't say anything bad about the game itself because the game looks ok. Meanwhile Concord looks awful. That's not trolling, that's just my opinion and most people seem to agree with me, so are they trolling too? 😂😂 And Sony isn't just a publisher, they don't need some a big gaas title to carry them, they made more money in the PS5 gen than the last 4 gens combined and that was before the release of Helldivers 2. That's mostly from their 30% cut from 3rd party games, they could be like Valve if they wanted to and never release a game ever again and still be extremely profitable. So stop lying and saying they need some big gaas hit so their other studios can survive, that's false 😂😂

• brain

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

Where did you get these figures from? Overwatch is (was) massive in Korea and China and they all play on PC 🤔
False, Sony did not acquire them for their PC initiative, Sony's live service initiative is about getting/maintaining PlayStation Plus subscriptions. You'd think people would have this figured out by now. Sure Helldivers 2 blowing up on PC was good for that game, but it appears Sony was not too happy about that game selling more on PC as they are trying to sell consoles and subscriptions for online play. If Sony wanted Concord to be in the top 10 on Steam right now, it would be. Obviously they have the marketing resources to make that happen.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
False, Sony did not acquire them for their PC initiative, Sony's live service initiative is about getting/maintaining PlayStation Plus subscriptions. You'd think people would have this figured out by now. Sure Helldivers 2 blowing up on PC was good for that game, but it appears Sony was not too happy about that game selling more on PC as they are trying to sell consoles and subscriptions for online play. If Sony wanted Concord to be in the top 10 on Steam right now, it would be. Obviously they have the marketing resources to make that happen.
I'd imagine Sony wants a massive hit or else they wouldn't bother.

What live service game hasn't been a slow burn? It's not a matter of Sony not allowing Concord to be a chart topper. These things usually take time.