Confirmed: Deviation Games ("new" studio from former Treyarch devs and former Sony partner) has been officially closed without shipping a game

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
?

Totoki said the 12 games were alive back then, yes. Time later they cancelled TLOU Online, London Studio's game. If the studio just announced to shut down, it's because they cancelled it, or moved it to the new SIE team with ex-Deviation workers.

And according to Jason Twisted Metal too. But he said that one wasn't still greenlighted, which pretty likely wasn't one of the 12 games mentioned in 2021. Because it should be greenlighted before/during 2021, as it the case of the Firesprite MP game we saw during years in their job offers.

So out of 12, seems they cancelled pretty likely 3, maybe 4. Adding the 3 Bungie IPs, means they have 11 or 12 alive.
So it was you that said that? 😂😂😂

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
He is like Tatsumi Kimishima. A man who is conservative and modest. He follows a clear path and knows to plan ahead.
Yes Totoki is only for a year the CEO of PlayStation but in the meantime he will appoint the fitting candidate. This time it will be a Japanese to be appointed as such. Neither Eric Lempel nor anyone from SIE America/Europe is benefiting for this position. With the aid of recent decisions and statements you can clearly see that Sony’s execs are tired of Hollywood blockbuster madness. Irresponsible budgets and political messages are enough. This time I guarantee you it will be someone Japanese to be next PlayStation CEO. My bet is Kiichiro Urata which also has for a fun fact, the highest position after CEO: Company Director of SIE. He will very likely takeover.
I know we disagreed on whether he'd become the next CEO before, but I guess now I'm thawing out on the idea. I still don't think it'll happen, but I guess the chance isn't as close to zero as I thought it would be. I'd still be surprised since he hasn't been with the company very long compared to other people under consideration.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I know we disagreed on whether he'd become the next CEO before, but I guess now I'm thawing out on the idea. I still don't think it'll happen, but I guess the chance isn't as close to zero as I thought it would be. I'd still be surprised since he hasn't been with the company very long compared to other people under consideration.
I think they (Sony) hired Kiichiro Urata not for fun. Because of his Vita, leading a company as Capcom into being successful again, he is the most fitting candidate. Eric Lempel is a Marketing guy, he is not CEO material. Same I would guess for Lin Tao. She is a person of numbers and finances. She would leave a big hole in M&A department of PlayStation. So also because Kiichiro Urata has the highest position after the CEO (yes Company Director is only one level lower) I think it’s not a coincidence for to him have been promoted in such a short time.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So it was you that said that? 😂😂😂
No, was the one who said that back then they continued working on the 12 games. And that 6 of them were locked to be released before their March 2026 goal, while the other ones were still under review or weren't going to be relesaed before that date. So they no longer have the March 2026 goal.

You can go and watch the video or read the transcription. They shutted down the studio today, not almost a year ago. A huge studio can't be running during half a year without any project or funding. The game must have been cancelled (or moved to other studio) today or a few days ago.

• Surprised
Reactions: JAHGamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think they (Sony) hired Kiichiro Urata not for fun. Because of his Vita, leading a company as Capcom into being successful again, he is the most fitting candidate. Eric Lempel is a Marketing guy, he is not CEO material. Same I would guess for Lin Tao. She is a person of numbers and finances. She would leave a big hole in M&A department of PlayStation. So also because Kiichiro Urata has the highest position after the CEO (yes Company Director is only one level lower) I think it’s not a coincidence for to him have been promoted in such a short time.
square enix needs him bad lol

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Jason Blundell pitched the idea for the game, prototypes were great, Sony sees potential and partners with them for that game, it isn't clear if they acquired IP, Jason Blundell had a falling out with co-founder of the studio and resigns slashing the hope for developing his idea, studio blunders a lot and has to let go people (90 devs) and quickly come up with a GaaS game idea, their second pitch is shut down by Sony who stops being a partner, DG studio which was no longer partner with Sony closes, meanwhile Blundell is hired within PlayStation Studios and continues working on his idea for the game with a team made up of DG devs and others, so the game might still be alive in another shape.

Links for above short summary:
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ith-playstation-to-develop-a-new-original-ip/ 2021

I don't know how all of this come as a surprise to any of you but the writing was all on the wall for quite awhile.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jason Blundell pitched the idea for the game, prototypes were great, Sony sees potential and partners with them for that game, it isn't clear if they acquired IP, Jason Blundell had a falling out with co-founder of the studio and resigns slashing the hope for developing his idea, studio blunders a lot and has to let go people (90 devs) and quickly come up with a GaaS game idea, their second pitch is shut down by Sony who stops being a partner, DG studio which was no longer partner with Sony closes, meanwhile Blundell is hired within PlayStation Studios and continues working on his idea for the game with a team made up of DG devs and others, so the game might still be alive in another shape.
Sounds as a good theory, pretty likely it's what happened.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sony has gotten on stage and bragged about both Factions 2 and Deviations project, and both were cancelled 🤦‍♂️ These dudes need to STFU and work and speak when something is actually ready to show.

Who remembers when PlayStation used to be a well run business? 🙋‍♂️ This is embarrassing and would never happen under Shuhei's watch.
But then people here will keep asking “wHErE aRe tHe 1St pArTy gAmEs? Like I keep saying, it’s best to wait until they’re ready.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sony has gotten on stage and bragged about both Factions 2 and Deviations project, and both were cancelled 🤦‍♂️ These dudes need to STFU and work and speak when something is actually ready to show.

Who remembers when PlayStation used to be a well run business? 🙋‍♂️ This is embarrassing and would never happen under Shuhei's watch.
Also. Many Studios got shit down under Shuhei’s watch.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Links for above short summary:
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ith-playstation-to-develop-a-new-original-ip/ 2021

I don't know how all of this come as a surprise to any of you but the writing was all on the wall for quite awhile.

Idk if Blundell had a falling out with the co-founder. They seemed like best friends.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
PlayStation (SIE) is performing better than ever, doesn't need to be saved.
The hardware maybe does sell well but the software does certainly not. Software sales are a whole disaster this generation. In Japan even worse.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't think PS5 software is bad this generation. Japan is just a weird case but Sony set that in motion by giving that market the middle finger after PS3 era.

PS5 moves a lot of software but the base definitely isn't buying as much as PS4 era. But that's because everything is just too damn expensive this gen.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Where are my Jim Ryan fans?

At least we got Helldivers from the GAAS push but overall.... hasn't really been a good thing.

They needed some GAAS but it was overkill and the way they went about it was not well conceived IMO.
I don’t think 12 live service games where overkill it was needed for Sony to fund & pitch 12 it was a no brainer that it would’ve been a bloodbath of shutting some down focusing on the one that have true potential & or studios who met the quality & timeframe of development.

If Sony funded 4 live service games like many suggest they cancelled Factions after 4 to 6 years they cancel insomniac live service after 2/3 years or more & we would’ve gotten 2 live service out of the 4 those being Helldivers 2 & Horizon Monster Hunter (which will likely launch 2025) within 4 years then they would have to batch another 4 & by then these studios that are available are either already invested by other publisher or acquired leaving PS less studios w talent to make live service & having to further morph there singleplayer game studios to make live service which ended up in Insomniac & Naighty dog wasting years & hundreds of million on development with the likely hood of failure, studios ditching singleplayer to support live service or the live service releasing in shambles like 343 halo infinite.

In reality Sony should’ve acquire Square Enix to bolster first party singleplayer games that will give PS studios flexibility to do live service will still cranking the same amount or more singleplayer exclusive actually leading PS to hit targets also acquiring Hoyoverse to make mobile games which Hoyoverse are already an oiled machine now cranking there 3rd or 4th live service mobile game 3 of them being exclusive to PS. Sony could use Hoyoverse to reach Chinese market & lend them ips like Demon Slayer which would make well for Hoyoverse mobile game ability since it’s an anime ip

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The hardware maybe does sell well but the software does certainly not. Software sales are a whole disaster this generation. In Japan even worse.
Pure fiction.

The factual data of their fiscal reports say that their software and their game subscription are selling better than ever. Plus they have the biggest engagement ever, resulting into having the biggest active userbase they ever had.

And inside the software, their 1st party games are also selling better than ever too, with their two most recent entries on big franchises also breaking sales records for any Sony exclusive ever.

Reactions: panda-zebra