Confirmed: Deviation Games ("new" studio from former Treyarch devs and former Sony partner) has been officially closed without shipping a game

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t know what to think.

But if you don’t delivery then you are fucked indeed.

They couldn’t release nothing since 2020 and even Sony supposed cancelled a game because they couldn’t show anything 🤷‍♂️

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
He is like Tatsumi Kimishima. A man who is conservative and modest. He follows a clear path and knows to plan ahead.
Yes Totoki is only for a year the CEO of PlayStation but in the meantime he will appoint the fitting candidate. This time it will be a Japanese to be appointed as such. Neither Eric Lempel nor anyone from SIE America/Europe is benefiting for this position. With the aid of recent decisions and statements you can clearly see that Sony’s execs are tired of Hollywood blockbuster madness. Irresponsible budgets and political messages are enough. This time I guarantee you it will be someone Japanese to be next PlayStation CEO. My bet is Kiichiro Urata which also has for a fun fact, the highest position after CEO: Company Director of SIE. He will very likely takeover.
It can go either way I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric lempel is the next PS CEO. But yuh at this point I’m hoping it’s a Japanese CEO that’s strict like Nintendo & brings PS identity back which has been almost completely stripped off by Shawn laden & Jim Ryan.

Top priority at PS

Stop PC port: actually have exclusive ten pole games only playable on PS console to compete w PC/Steam & Nintendo (you stand 0% chance of ever competing w Nintendo & even Steam if you don’t have exclusive games only available on your platform) put the final dagger on Xbox console for good!

Continue live service: be more stricter on development scope/budget & green light live servide project that has high chance of succeeding or catching a niche yet strong community base ie helldivers, gt7 other games like VR Chat, Depo rock Galactic or No man sky. Why hasn’t a new SOCOM been greenlighted that’s an easy W that would succeed in this market where there not many 3rd person military shooter outside COD, Battlefield & Rainbow 6 Seige all 3 being FPS.

Mobile: grow mobile studio either acquire smaller yet noticeable mobile studios w already existing mobile games or acquire a mobile publisher ie Hoyoverse (there not many mobile studio or publisher I can name) Take 2 bought Zynge for 10 billion & they are worth 15 billion at the time Mobile is extremely important to negate the ballooning budget of AAA games Activision also bought a mobile publisher w King. Sony needs to buy a mobile publisher imo Hoyoverse is great they already have great relationship Genshin Inpact alone is bring the same if not more profit then COD does yearly for Activision & Hoyoverse is worth around 7–10 billion. (there might be some weird law because Hoyoverse is tied to china but if you can you should acquire them even if you have to risk break up fee that will be like 100 to 300 million the gains of owning Hoyoverse is worth the risk imo) a Hoyoverse Demon Slayer gotcha mobile game that launches on mobile & PS simultaneously would be a massive money printer & further expand the ip to new audiences. (this is how you expand to different markets, not by porting singleplayer games jeopardizing your own console platform)

More AA games: PS like Nintendo should license there smaller AA franchise to 3rd party to make smaller games that cost a fraction & can release at a faster cadence then the AAA games. Franchises like R&C, Sky Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Ape Escape, Wild Arms, Potopon should be licensed out to 3rd party. A studio is making a potopon successor w a budget of 2-5 million dollars & its looking good asf it’s called Ratatan & could be easily sold for $30 to $40 dollars if it was published by PS. Your telling me Sony doesn’t has 2-5 million dollars to fund these small games that take 3 years to make, it’s totally bs & a miss opportunity Ratatan will probably make the studio 25+ million in profits if it sells 1 million copies which should be easy since it’s releasing on PS & Nintendo. Games like Ape escape only need a budget of 50 million $ they’ll end up selling 5 million copies like R&C & if you properly price it at $40 to $50 people will be more lenient & be open just like people easily bought Helldivers 2.

PS consoles: PS6 should be a hybrid handheld so it’s more profitable from the jump less focus on power, power gap is getting smaller & smaller w every new generation. Also the PS6 being a hybrid handheld allows PS to combine both traditional console business & mobile together in one. Also allows PS to compete w Switch 2, Switch 3, Steamdeck 2, SD3 & mobile devices like apple iPhone etc.

Oh & for VR just partner w a VR studio to make VR modes for your single players games like GT7 or RE4. Let me play Death Stranding 2 in VR or the next Uncharted in VR I’d happily pay $10 for a simple VR mode that puts the camera in first person perspective. Maybe even license out ip to VR studios in exchange of making an exclusive VR game using a PS ip im just assuming these AAA VR game don’t make back the money because the VR market is still to early idk

Last edited:

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
Sad news. They had extremely talented team. I think newly formed AAA studios struggle way more than they did decade ago. For example, Respawn formed in 2010 and they managed to release two AAA games before they got acquired. Maybe new studios should aim for AA or smaller scale AAA games at first.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Another one bites the dust unfortunetly. Looked like a good team

Why I say, just buy some already established studios, publisher that know how to work and already made IPs at this point. Getting more games out is the only thing that matters.

I dont know whos to blame but apart from getting that Kojima exclusive (which shouldnt have been too hard) Hermen has not been doing good.
More cancelled games then released PS5 exclusives by the 4th year….
I wonder how many of those 25 games people kept mentioning are actually coming lol

Hopefully the next CEO and person in charge of PS studios and games arent as bad.

Reactions: Puff

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Considering Jason Blundell has a secret studio in Sony, I think Sony's partnership disappeared when they got Jason into Sony without paying over the odds. Awful to see any studio shut down but I hope the talented staff find work soon. The absolute wrong time to lose a job in this industry.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pure fiction.

The factual data of their fiscal reports say that their software and their game subscription are selling better than ever. Plus they have the biggest engagement ever, resulting into having the biggest active userbase they ever had.

And inside the software, their 1st party games are also selling better than ever too, with their two most recent entries on big franchises also breaking sales records for any Sony exclusive ever.
In Japan? No, you're one hundred percent wrong. PS5 titles just are not moving in that region.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ApolloHelios

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Not surprising, it appears no other publisher were interested in picking up anything they were working on.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Also, it should be noted there is a rumor Sony snatched up Jason Blondell, he's working on a new IP for Sony and took alot of Deviation staff with him, take with a grain of salt, but it is a rumor I've heard.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Also, it should be noted there is a rumor Sony snatched up Jason Blondell, he's working on a new IP for Sony and took alot of Deviation staff with him, take with a grain of salt, but it is a rumor I've heard.
It's been posted around in threads. There have been articles on that.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
No in general, not just Rebirth. Software sales have been declining more and more in this gen. What’s the point in selling lots of console if you sell less 1st/ 3rd Party games?

Btw this is devastating:

These are physical.... Like how stupid one must be to overlook the BIGGER portion of sales nowadays that is the DIGITAL SALES.... Meanwhile on the TOTAL sales front there are doing better than EVER in Japan.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
We knew they were done and Sony pulled funding.

I don’t mourn cancelled projects. That means they were shit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: AllBizness

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Someone please find someone other than Yurinka to claim Sony HASN’T pulled funding from KOTOR also. Because they most likely have and that’s all true…

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It can go either way I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric lempel is the next PS CEO. But yuh at this point I’m hoping it’s a Japanese CEO that’s strict like Nintendo & brings PS identity back which has been almost completely stripped off by Shawn laden & Jim Ryan.

Top priority at PS

Stop PC port: actually have exclusive ten pole games only playable on PS console to compete w PC/Steam & Nintendo (you stand 0% chance of ever competing w Nintendo & even Steam if you don’t have exclusive games only available on your platform) put the final dagger on Xbox console for good!

Continue live service: be more stricter on development scope/budget & green light live servide project that has high chance of succeeding or catching a niche yet strong community base ie helldivers, gt7 other games like VR Chat, Depo rock Galactic or No man sky. Why hasn’t a new SOCOM been greenlighted that’s an easy W that would succeed in this market where there not many 3rd person military shooter outside COD, Battlefield & Rainbow 6 Seige all 3 being FPS.

Mobile: grow mobile studio either acquire smaller yet noticeable mobile studios w already existing mobile games or acquire a mobile publisher ie Hoyoverse (there not many mobile studio or publisher I can name) Take 2 bought Zynge for 10 billion & they are worth 15 billion at the time Mobile is extremely important to negate the ballooning budget of AAA games Activision also bought a mobile publisher w King. Sony needs to buy a mobile publisher imo Hoyoverse is great they already have great relationship Genshin Inpact alone is bring the same if not more profit then COD does yearly for Activision & Hoyoverse is worth around 7–10 billion. (there might be some weird law because Hoyoverse is tied to china but if you can you should acquire them even if you have to risk break up fee that will be like 100 to 300 million the gains of owning Hoyoverse is worth the risk imo) a Hoyoverse Demon Slayer gotcha mobile game that launches on mobile & PS simultaneously would be a massive money printer & further expand the ip to new audiences. (this is how you expand to different markets, not by porting singleplayer games jeopardizing your own console platform)

More AA games: PS like Nintendo should license there smaller AA franchise to 3rd party to make smaller games that cost a fraction & can release at a faster cadence then the AAA games. Franchises like R&C, Sky Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Ape Escape, Wild Arms, Potopon should be licensed out to 3rd party. A studio is making a potopon successor w a budget of 2-5 million dollars & its looking good asf it’s called Ratatan & could be easily sold for $30 to $40 dollars if it was published by PS. Your telling me Sony doesn’t has 2-5 million dollars to fund these small games that take 3 years to make, it’s totally bs & a miss opportunity Ratatan will probably make the studio 25+ million in profits if it sells 1 million copies which should be easy since it’s releasing on PS & Nintendo. Games like Ape escape only need a budget of 50 million $ they’ll end up selling 5 million copies like R&C & if you properly price it at $40 to $50 people will be more lenient & be open just like people easily bought Helldivers 2.

PS consoles: PS6 should be a hybrid handheld so it’s more profitable from the jump less focus on power, power gap is getting smaller & smaller w every new generation. Also the PS6 being a hybrid handheld allows PS to combine both traditional console business & mobile together in one. Also allows PS to compete w Switch 2, Switch 3, Steamdeck 2, SD3 & mobile devices like apple iPhone etc.

Oh & for VR just partner w a VR studio to make VR modes for your single players games like GT7 or RE4. Let me play Death Stranding 2 in VR or the next Uncharted in VR I’d happily pay $10 for a simple VR mode that puts the camera in first person perspective. Maybe even license out ip to VR studios in exchange of making an exclusive VR game using a PS ip im just assuming these AAA VR game don’t make back the money because the VR market is still to early idk
Doubt that another western guy will become next PlayStation CEO ever again. They (PS Europe & America) were the driving force to ruin PlayStation into the AAA Hollywood Blockbuster madness, Live Service obsession & PC porting nonsense. Eric Lempel is a good marketing guy but he is not leadership material. He is not qualified for this. Hiroki Totoki’s public complaint about the western PS Studios and their budgets, are enough evidence that Sony is tired of western leadership. I wouldn’t wonder if Sony would reallocate their PlayStation HQ back to Japan and rename current one to SIE of America. Well my bet is Kiichiro Urata. Even if it’s not him, another Japanese guy in the ranks will be appointed as such.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Paganel
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Doubt that another western guy will become next PlayStation CEO ever again. They (PS Europe & America) were the driving force to ruin PlayStation into the AAA Hollywood Blockbuster madness, Live Service obsession & PC porting nonsense. Eric Lempel is a good marketing guy but he is not leadership material. He is not qualified for this. Hiroki Totoki’s public complaint about the western PS Studios and their budgets, are enough evidence that Sony is tired of western leadership. I wouldn’t wonder if Sony would reallocate their PlayStation HQ back to Japan and rename current one to SIE of America. Well my bet is Kiichiro Urata. Even if it’s not him, another Japanese guy in the ranks will be appointed as such.
I will welcome anyone who sticks to PS roots and culture and thy happen to be a Japanese company so a person like Kaz who reinforces tht would be great.

Reactions: Umar and Dabaus