Confirmed: Deviation Games ("new" studio from former Treyarch devs and former Sony partner) has been officially closed without shipping a game

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
He is like Tatsumi Kimishima. A man who is conservative and modest. He follows a clear path and knows to plan ahead.
Yes Totoki is only for a year the CEO of PlayStation but in the meantime he will appoint the fitting candidate. This time it will be a Japanese to be appointed as such. Neither Eric Lempel nor anyone from SIE America/Europe is benefiting for this position. With the aid of recent decisions and statements you can clearly see that Sony’s execs are tired of Hollywood blockbuster madness. Irresponsible budgets and political messages are enough. This time I guarantee you it will be someone Japanese to be next PlayStation CEO. My bet is Kiichiro Urata which also has for a fun fact, the highest position after CEO: Company Director of SIE. He will very likely takeover.
I hope you are correct, I really want SIE to focus on Japan in terms of games, the Japanese games I have played are so efficient in terms of quality.

I hope they either acquire a Japanese studio or build one there. They don't need to acquire a huge publisher (even though they should since MS is taking away so many games that were previously on Playstation).

They just need more studios in Japan, that's what my opinion is, wether its a Japanese CEO or not I hope they show presence from Japan.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I hope you are correct, I really want SIE to focus on Japan in terms of games, the Japanese games I have played are so efficient in terms of quality.

I hope they either acquire a Japanese studio or build one there. They don't need to acquire a huge publisher (even though they should since MS is taking away so many games that were previously on Playstation).

They just need more studios in Japan, that's what my opinion is, wether its a Japanese CEO or not I hope they show presence from Japan.
PS does need to focus on the PS console ion gon lie the future looking spooky especially as you see PS port there games over & you see the conversations & as PC/Steam & Nintnedo continues to grow massively by sticking to there old true strategy of having true exclusive & not devaluing the console which is the storefront, choosing PC or Nintendo over PS will be easier then ever before in the future. I hope they change this questionable & dumb strategy making small profits short term over self destructing your console market which is simultaneously degrading your storefront & the amount of people buying through your storefront not other competitors is not smart or good long term. Valve/Steam literally does nothing & enjoy taking 30% of competitors bending the knees to a rival competitor which acts as a threat to PS & then Sony is brain dead strategy thinking by Shawn Laden & Jim Ryan (don’t get me started w Shawn Laden who said in a podcast last week some short minded strategy & contradicting himself in the process)

PS has around 25 studios those mainly being wester/euro studios Sony should grow there Japanese studios like team asobi (should become a insomniac for output but focusing on AA games) create more team on team asobi to work on franchises like Ape Escape, PaRappa the Rapper & wild arms should come back it would be fresh air from the AAA live action narrative cinematic driven games. PS should mimic studio count on the Japanese side acquire Square Enix & hoyoverse & you cover yourself in Japan, Asia & China. Acquire 20 or so Japanese studios to create new ip or use some of PS dormant Japanese ip like I said Ape Escape, PaRappa the Rapper, Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Gravity Rush, Potopon should all come back as AA games smaller scope, less focus on hyper realist art style & more focus on fun gameplay & creative iconic character that kids & family can resonate with like Nintendo (2-4 player online coop should be a thing added to all PS singleplayer games imagine playing through the singleplayer of HFW w 1-3 other friends or Death Stranding 2 w 1-3 other friends or GOT 2 it would be increase sell’s as it would be much easier to recommend a friend to pick up the game & play together) but

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Jimbo Ryan and Hernan Fucking Hulst at their best :ROFLMAO:

Playstation gangsters :D

I won't really blame them. Sony is known to have great patience but also they're known to be very generous. Something they didn't expect from Sony before throwing money around is that they're expecting accountability and they're very ruthless as well.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Here's my conspiracy theory:

Sony made the deal with Deviation to make a first party Modern Warfare game in response to Call of Duty going Xbox exclusive. But CoD isn't going Xbox exclusive, so Playstation pulled the plug.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Sony made the deal with Deviation to make a first party Modern Warfare game in response to Call of Duty going Xbox exclusive. But CoD isn't going Xbox exclusive, so Playstation pulled the plug.
That’s a good conspiracy. It is strange they pull the rug deviation was rumored to have a 2nd studio aswell interesting too that Sony hired Jason Blundell 1 of the ex co founder of Deviation seemingly working in California would be interesting to see which PS studios are located in California to pin point which studio he might be working at

I still don’t know why Sony hasn’t poach devs from COD, Apex & Battlefield to create a new SOCOM imo battlefield looking spooky & cod has been degrading over time becoming more unstable apex legends doing fine there’s a wide market for a 3rd person military tactical shooter it can even be modernized like rainbow 6 seige & offer some sort of operator “hero” system w different heroes having different abilities & walking speed like R6 1,2,3 speed & armor system

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That’s a good conspiracy.

I still don’t know why Sony hasn’t poach devs from COD, Apex & Battlefield to create a new SOCOM imo battlefield looking spooky & cod has been degrading over time becoming more unstable apex legends doing fine there’s a wide market for a 3rd person military tactical shooter it can even be modernized like rainbow 6 seige & offer some sort of operator “hero” system w different heroes having different abilities & walking speed like R6 1,2,3 speed & armor system
This is part of my Playstation recovery plan. I agree they have to do it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

They probably pulled the plug because the game didn't look good or wasn't going anywhere, no point to give up on it otherwise.

This whole thing about creating brand new studios for AAA games out of the gate hardly ever works out.

Pretty much all studios capable of releasing good AAA games grew slowly over a long period of time. Even expanding a single studio into multiple teams already has a high probably of failure.

Haven and Firewalk are likely next.

Reactions: panda-zebra

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
PS does need to focus on the PS console ion gon lie the future looking spooky especially as you see PS port there games over & you see the conversations & as PC/Steam & Nintnedo continues to grow massively by sticking to there old true strategy of having true exclusive & not devaluing the console which is the storefront, choosing PC or Nintendo over PS will be easier then ever before in the future. I hope they change this questionable & dumb strategy making small profits short term over self destructing your console market which is simultaneously degrading your storefront & the amount of people buying through your storefront not other competitors is not smart or good long term. Valve/Steam literally does nothing & enjoy taking 30% of competitors bending the knees to a rival competitor which acts as a threat to PS & then Sony is brain dead strategy thinking by Shawn Laden & Jim Ryan (don’t get me started w Shawn Laden who said in a podcast last week some short minded strategy & contradicting himself in the process)

PS has around 25 studios those mainly being wester/euro studios Sony should grow there Japanese studios like team asobi (should become a insomniac for output but focusing on AA games) create more team on team asobi to work on franchises like Ape Escape, PaRappa the Rapper & wild arms should come back it would be fresh air from the AAA live action narrative cinematic driven games. PS should mimic studio count on the Japanese side acquire Square Enix & hoyoverse & you cover yourself in Japan, Asia & China. Acquire 20 or so Japanese studios to create new ip or use some of PS dormant Japanese ip like I said Ape Escape, PaRappa the Rapper, Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Gravity Rush, Potopon should all come back as AA games smaller scope, less focus on hyper realist art style & more focus on fun gameplay & creative iconic character that kids & family can resonate with like Nintendo (2-4 player online coop should be a thing added to all PS singleplayer games imagine playing through the singleplayer of HFW w 1-3 other friends or Death Stranding 2 w 1-3 other friends or GOT 2 it would be increase sell’s as it would be much easier to recommend a friend to pick up the game & play together) but
I 100% COMPLETELY agree with your second paragraph and everything you said. About making some kid friendly style games + AA games and everything.

however I am conflicted on the first paragraph you said, because the games Sony has made, have really had a positive impact on my life.

And those games are so damn good, they are literal masterpieces and I want people on PC to experience them as well. I hope that makes sense.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Doubt that another western guy will become next PlayStation CEO ever again. They (PS Europe & America) were the driving force to ruin PlayStation into the AAA Hollywood Blockbuster madness, Live Service obsession & PC porting nonsense. Eric Lempel is a good marketing guy but he is not leadership material. He is not qualified for this. Hiroki Totoki’s public complaint about the western PS Studios and their budgets, are enough evidence that Sony is tired of western leadership. I wouldn’t wonder if Sony would reallocate their PlayStation HQ back to Japan and rename current one to SIE of America. Well my bet is Kiichiro Urata. Even if it’s not him, another Japanese guy in the ranks will be appointed as such.
A game developer was talking about how borrowing money is more expensive now because of intrest rates and DEI loans are drying up so game compainies are going to start to outsource and make games in other regions outside of the US. With all that said, yes Sony should be doubling down on Asia, Japan espically.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
A game developer was talking about how borrowing money is more expensive now because of intrest rates and DEI loans are drying up so game compainies are going to start to outsource and make games in other regions outside of the US. With all that said, yes Sony should be doubling down on Asia, Japan espically.
Yeah Thyve had their eyes on Asia and India for most of those reasons you mentioned.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Do these "DEI loans" actually exist? My guess is they'll be something like 10k grants or some minor tax break that have absolutely 0 impact on the financial viability of a project and publishers are just basically picking up handouts.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Haven and Firewalk are likely next.
Haven are slightly different in that they have a core that's been together through Ubisoft, EA, Stadia and then their own thing. A lot of the initial hires were people they'd worked with for over a decade.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Haven are slightly different in that they have a core that's been together through Ubisoft, EA, Stadia and then their own thing. A lot of the initial hires were people they'd worked with for over a decade.
Ubisoft, EA and Stadia...

Hd Pursed Lips GIF

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
More GAAS for the fire.

Now will people finally acknowledge that Jim Ryan was Sony's Mattrick?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
People on PC can experience them by buying a console.
Yuh I don’t get why people act like base consoles are $700 if a PC player wanted to play PS games they would buy a PS but now that PS bends the knee those PC player no longer need to buy a PS & interact w the PS storefront.

Also if PS wants to expand there franchise to PC the proper way would’ve been making a live service version & releasing it on PS, PC & Mobile (in some cases) day 1 like the Horizon Monster Hunter is a good way to expand franchise it caters to a wider audience because you can play it w friends & you can extract more money long term then porting singleplayer games that are in deep discount, get pirated or devalue the need to buy your console platform & interact & spend money in the PS storefront. Porting singleplayer game is not the smartest strategy.

Now you put yourself in a position where consumers can now question if they really need to buy your console because it no longer has exclusive compare to other platform where you can get PC exclusive & now Xbox & PS games on 1 platform. Right Nintendo sticks to there exclusive strategy & continues to work over 20+ years & consumers don’t question if they need to buy a Nintendo console because Nintendo will never port there games to a competitor platform. Now the PS6 your making PS gamers question if they should buy a PS6 if they truly need it or just invest in a PC or get a Steamdeck 2 & or invest on your rival competitor platform like Nintendo who is cutthroat

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yuh I don’t get why people act like base consoles are $700 if a PC player wanted to play PS games they would buy a PS but now that PS bends the knee those PC player no longer need to buy a PS & interact w the PS storefront.

Also if PS wants to expand there franchise to PC the proper way would’ve been making a live service version & releasing it on PS, PC & Mobile (in some cases) day 1 like the Horizon Monster Hunter is a good way to expand franchise it caters to a wider audience because you can play it w friends & you can extract more money long term then porting singleplayer games that are in deep discount, get pirated or devalue the need to buy your console platform & interact & spend money in the PS storefront. Porting singleplayer game is not the smartest strategy.

Now you put yourself in a position where consumers can now question if they really need to buy your console because it no longer has exclusive compare to other platform where you can get PC exclusive & now Xbox & PS games on 1 platform. Right Nintendo sticks to there exclusive strategy & continues to work over 20+ years & consumers don’t question if they need to buy a Nintendo console because Nintendo will never port there games to a competitor platform. Now the PS6 your making PS gamers question if they should buy a PS6 if they truly need it or just invest in a PC or get a Steamdeck 2 & or invest on your rival competitor platform like Nintendo who is cutthroat
Exactly, exclusives give the console its DNA and gives ppl a reason not to just buy anything.