Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xbox should worry about the sorry state of all the devs they have hoarderd:

Xbox Studios - have a hard time putting out any game or even simply showing anything at all of games that have been announced many years ago. Their last release Forza might have killed that much milked franchise, same goes for Halo and Gears. They have owned some studio for a long time now that haven't produced anything at all for them.

Bethesda - Starfield was a huge under performer, Redfall was even worse, Hi-fi Rush had zero inpact/sales. TES is unlikely to be released anytime soon (as in not this gen) and Bethesda Game Studios is in bad shape (as in devs arguing with players on the internet trying to defend their poorly received game). Their next game seems to be Indiana Jones made by the studio who's last game was Wolfenstein: Youngblood, following the latest Indy movie that is a history flop.

Blizzard - Diablo 4 had good sales but died very quickly and is an obvious miss. WoW is old as fuck and modern Blizzard is very unlikely to even be able to attempt to produce a proper substitute. Overwatch 2 floped hard in a way that simply killed the IP.

Activision - Pretty much only capable of releasing CoDs at this point and the last CoD saw a huge decline in sales. No more PlayStation marketing pushing this game from now on and day one on gamepass to make it even less profitable.

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It went from, "Sony is monopolistic and must be held in check!", to, "any attempt at scrutinizing this acquisition is just a waste of taxpayer money!" That is until it was Sony being scrutinized for having the audacity to price things the same as every other store. Then it suddenly is good that government agencies get involved in the industry.

It's all so exhausting to keep up with, and almost seems carefully designed by some marketing team to train their audience to deflect from the reality of the insane market moves this trillion-dollar company is making.

That bit about 'wasting taxpayer money' has always irritated me. Regulatory bodies are there to, generally speaking, protect the public and competition (which also benefits customers). Arguments can be made on whether or not they're doing a good job, but the idea that they shouldn't do their job at all is lunacy. As well, there is no doubt that regulators have the the public's interest in mind far more than corporations like MS and ABK. It's one thing to prefer a gaming brand, but quite another to actually believe your favourite corporation should be allowed to operate without checks and balances. I have seen far too many Xbox super fans with that exact mindset.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That bit about 'wasting taxpayer money' has always irritated me. Regulatory bodies are there to, generally speaking, protect the public and competition (which also benefits customers). Arguments can be made on whether or not they're doing a good job, but the idea that they shouldn't do their job at all is lunacy. As well, there is no doubt that regulators have the the public's interest in mind far more than corporations like MS and ABK. It's one thing to prefer a gaming brand, but quite another to actually believe your favourite corporation should be allowed to operate without checks and balances. I have seen far too many Xbox super fans with that exact mindset.
Their inability to do their job is also not on them, it comes from an imbalance in power where these massive companies have far too much power. We just witnessed MS publicly threatening the UK if they didn't get their way.

Unless a person desired to be sodomized by the likes of MS it's pretty easy to see that regulators should be empowered to hold the big tech companies back.

Being in favor of capitalism and free market doesn't mean playing dumb and allowing a few companies (all with a long history of corruption) to own everything and play by their own rules.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
subtle difference, first tweet asked to promise that the xbox isn't going anywhere...second one asks that the xbox brand doesn't go anywhere. this smacks of a trial balloon, not to be too conspiratorial.
What's the deal with the brands? I mean, you can get your little xbox t-shirts and shoes... Just don't annoy me with the consoles anymore.

• thisistheway
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Regulators waste taxpayer money when they rubber stamp clearly anticonsumer mergers, like the Canadian competition board does all the time.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
What's the deal with the brands? I mean, you can get your little xbox t-shirts and shoes... Just don't annoy me with the consoles anymore.
I’d love if they kept the merch alive after the console dies.

You can’t get people like Colt Eastwood to wear a big red “R”, but they’ll happily wear a big green “X”! Makes them easy to spot in the wild!

• party
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yeona

29 Jul 2023

I absolutely agree. The lunatic ramblings in Xbox acquisition threads and forums all over the web feels like peering into an alternate universe. Even in websites which are largely very capitalist-skeptic, which otherwise are very invested in the idea of consumer protections and in regulatory bodies ensuring that corporations are held accountable -- all things which I personally agree with. But looking through those discussions you see how thinly veiled it all is, and how prepared those people are to just immediately drop it all for the sake of Brand.

I'm convinced at this point, if only for my own mental health, that they can't possibly genuinely believe regulative action on the acquisition was wasting taxpayer money. It was just an excuse that sounded reasonable enough. We've seen in all other common talking points that the moment an excuse stops being useful to justify something Xbox is doing, then they will drop it straight away. Often, they'll even defend the exact opposite stance. Sometimes even at the same time.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I absolutely agree. The lunatic ramblings in Xbox acquisition threads and forums all over the web feels like peering into an alternate universe. Even in websites which are largely very capitalist-skeptic, which otherwise are very invested in the idea of consumer protections and in regulatory bodies ensuring that corporations are held accountable -- all things which I personally agree with. But looking through those discussions you see how thinly veiled it all is, and how prepared those people are to just immediately drop it all for the sake of Brand.

I'm convinced at this point, if only for my own mental health, that they can't possibly genuinely believe regulative action on the acquisition was wasting taxpayer money. It was just an excuse that sounded reasonable enough. We've seen in all other common talking points that the moment an excuse stops being useful to justify something Xbox is doing, then they will drop it straight away. Often, they'll even defend the exact opposite stance. Sometimes even at the same time.
If there was a waste of taxpayer money in the regulatory process, it was Microsoft grandstanding to make hearings and court appearances take longer than needed.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
And now you have Xbox fanboys on era arguing that Playstation's business model is outdated and that Xbox will soon surpass them because selling consoles doesn't matter.
Of course. It's not like their subscription model is failing...Oh wait.

Every single metric they use paints a shit picture for the xbox brand. Yet they keep on spinning bs.

Reactions: Luffy123

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
And now you have Xbox fanboys on era arguing that Playstation's business model is outdated and that Xbox will soon surpass them because selling consoles doesn't matter.
Profitability is SO yesterday, haven't you heard? All the cool companies are burning cash by the pile!

Sheer lunacy.

Xbox right now is like two bullet trains loaded with burning dumpsters heading toward each other on the same track at 300 miles per hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Every time Sony deviated from the traditional console model they paid a high price for it.

Meanwhile Nintendo just swims in profits while following the same old "dated" business model and Xbox is doing worse than ever while trying to push their new vision for gaming.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Xbox right now is like two bullet trains loaded with burning dumpsters heading toward each other on the same track at 300 miles per hour.
The track is 5 000 miles long, one leaves station at 2PM and the other leaves at 3PM, when will they collide?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Every time Sony deviated from the traditional console model they paid a high price for it.

Meanwhile Nintendo just swims in profits while following the same old "dated" business model and Xbox is doing worse than ever while trying to push their new vision for gaming.
Ms is run by a bunch of bean counters without talent or imagination. They see games that make money on mobile, they think hey we have "games" too, let's try to make our platform more like "mobile" or at least PC.

Also, the other business units make a killing on subs, let's push for subs all the way.

They don't seem to understand the context they are in and how the pre-360 xbox teams got their success (and may have been headed for much more relevance).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ms is run by a bunch of bean counters without talent or imagination. They see games that make money on mobile, they think hey we have "games" too, let's try to make our platform more like "mobile" or at least PC.

Also, the other business units make a killing on subs, let's push for subs all the way.

They don't seem to understand the context they are in and how the pre-360 xbox teams got their success (and may have been headed for much more relevance).
I don't think they get the nuance of who is actually buying consoles and buying games and what they want. To be honest I don't think Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst get it either.

GaaS/Mobile/Cloud are all self fulfilling prophecies, where these companies pivot regardless of how the console market is behaving.