David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
David Jaffe (The Always angry ex God of War creator) says Herman Hulst pushed for Japan Studio closure (rip Bloodborne)

According to @davidscottjaffe Multiple 'sources' have confirmed that Connie Booth was fired from Playstation "Many of the Playstation devs are pissed about the pivot to G.A.A.S."

As per one of the Sources Hermen Hults was in Big favour of cutting off all Japanese studios.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Japan studio was a liability that couldn’t get its sht together. They had 40+ projects in various stages of development at one time in 2013 they couldn’t focus. Sony made the right decision. Jaffe just comes off as butter and still trying to stick in to Sony because gow is better than ever without him, twice dyed metal will be better without him. Instead of trying to constantly undermine Sony, attacking ps, capping for garbage games and pushing gamepass he needs to do something useful.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
One of those individuals that never give the right aura out the bat. When a studio head from a Sony mid studio whose mastery was mid shooters that didn't stack with the competition despite continuous efforts...... when that dude of all dudes rose to the top of the ladder in the UK coup, as opposed to others at the top of more successful Sony studios, say Naughty Dog heads or SSM heads that specialize in what became Sony's forte and renaissance that was an alarm bell for things to come. I wasn't in the least surprised that Bungie was acquired by Sony with Herman as head of worldwide studios... being always in Bungie's rear view mirror during the PS3 era, and seeing it happen again with Destiny was like the "tap out" moment. But even Bungie, as big as they're due to the genre they part take in, they've never been regarded as good as Naughty Dog or SSM by relative comparison, only Rockstar is there. The power shift and struggle will be a thing the more Microsoft puts the squeeze for consolidation, and thus the greater the impetus for clear winners and a constant source of revenue to give breathing room for every one studio under Sony's ownership.

Sure Microsoft will be chaos, but so will Sony if they "fast follow", which seems be sort of one of the many points.

The Jim/Hermen era can't die any sooner.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
One of those that never give the right aura. When a studio head from a Sony mid studio whose mastery was mid shooters that didn't stack with the competition despite continuous efforts rose to the top of the ladder in the UK coup, as opposed to others at the top of more successful Sony studios, say Naughty Dog heads or SSM heads that specialize in what became Sony's forte and renaissance that was an alarm bell for things to come.

You always get right to the heart of the issue.

I posted in another thread that all his moves seem to be to push Guerrilla and his clique into the premier / power positions at PlayStation.
How hard is Horizon being pushed? Sequel, PC releases, VR, GAAS, DLC etc
Nixxes.... his friends!
Firesprite to make Horizon Call of the Mountain.

Against Japanese studios, why? Cause he doesn't want his studios competing with studios from Japan or them communicating back to HQ that he is fucking up or playing favorites.

Everyone that was part of the GAAS push should be gone.... That was a terrible, shortsighted idea. It was against everything that PlayStation is about.

Anyway, at this stage, I'm venting. I was never a Hermen fan and didn't understand why people were fanboying about him...

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Kinda funny that even reddit doesn't completely trust this story and they typically believe every negative PlayStation story.

Reactions: Diah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
He can have some bad takes but he's not a liar.

I trust him on things like this. It's too serious to make things up IMO.
Disagree. He was willing to burn his relationship with his supposed mentor in order to clout chase on twitter and push his patreon.

Imagine you're connie booth and you and your team have just been let go (or if she voluntarily retired) and some jackass that looks like a hobo is out there screaming about you losing your job for clickbait and spreading it to the world, I would feel disrespected as fuck.

Jaffe sold whatever ethics he had left down the river.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Disagree. He was willing to burn his relationship with his supposed mentor in order to clout chase on twitter and push his patreon.

Imagine you're connie booth and you and your team have just been let go (or if she voluntarily retired) and some jackass that looks like a hobo is out there screaming about you losing your job for clickbait and spreading it to the world, I would feel disrespected as fuck.

Jaffe sold whatever ethics he had left down the river.

Yeah, on that side of things it's really not good.

It's a different aspect of it... and I am on the same page as you.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
You always get right to the heart of the issue.

I posted in another thread that all his moves seem to be to push Guerrilla and his clique into the premier / power positions at PlayStation.
How hard is Horizon being pushed? Sequel, PC releases, VR, GAAS, DLC etc
Nixxes.... his friends!
Firesprite to make Horizon Call of the Mountain.

Against Japanese studios, why? Cause he doesn't want his studios competing with studios from Japan or them communicating back to HQ that he is fucking up or playing favorites.

Everyone that was part of the GAAS push should be gone.... That was a terrible, shortsighted idea. It was against everything that PlayStation is about.

Anyway, at this stage, I'm venting. I was never a Hermen fan and didn't understand why people were fanboying about him...
It's a noticeable list, and those inside Sony are not blind.

Biggest consequential move imo still is Evan Wells choosing to retire. That's the MVP of all Sony studio heads right there.