David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
funny enough there's enough room for another zombie IP in the stable now that Last of Us is less about infected and more about trying to shoehorn philosophy 101 revenge bad stories into the game
Days Gone had so much potential and the IP was liked and successful. Bend did such a fantastic job with post launch support too as well. I wish we had gotten some Co-Op online modes, Multiplayer Free Roam with map objectives and a couple Horde modes too. They even had a good set up for a Factions PvP mode if they wanted to go that route.

Such a missed opportunity during PS4 to have studios scale back MP offerings after the Drive Club fiasco.

Reactions: Diah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’ve been screwing around with Days Gone this week actually. Always had it in the backlog. It was def hurt by Last of Us just existing. It’s unfortunate I guess since I’m liking it far more than my last attempt at playing tlou2 but so it goes. I’m kinda more interested in seeing them tackle something a bit different anyway. So I’m kinda more excited that their next game isn’t a sequel.

Days Gone has aged exceptionally well. Really impressed with how it runs on ps5. On par with most of the best looking next gen games at times.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sony should just merge Xdev and Asobi altogether, call it JapanStudio Ni or some shit to appease these guys.

Omg Japan, so cool guys. So cool.

They sold like 3 copies per year and I am not one of them, but I am going to be mad anyway.

Those guys probably don't know the pain the is The Last Guardian
Isn't Xdev based out of socal?

edit: No, Liverpool.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Isn't Xdev based out of socal?

edit: No, Liverpool.
There are three studios, one based in Tokyo, one based in California, the other one based in Liverpool.

XDev are just desination for support team.

One of them splited from SSM, one of them is the old Pysnosis/SCE Liverpool, the other one isfrom Japan Studio

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think JapanStudio to Sony is a bit like Edios/Crystal Dynamic to Square Enix.

Bloated but going nowhere. The best part is support dev team and Asobi got salvaged.

Square Enix cutting western divisions is the best decision they has done in years, many would agrree that, but not for Sony though

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think JapanStudio to Sony is a bit like Edios/Crystal Dynamic to Square Enix.

Bloated but going nowhere. The best part is support dev team and Asobi got salvaged.

Square Enix cutting western divisions is the best decision they has done in years, many would agrree that, but not for Sony though
Other way around, western studios are what crystal dynamics and eidos would have been if Marvel's avengers had become the next fortnite

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Jaffe is a pariah. How would he get inside info?
He’s exploiting friendships he made while at ps. Some 🤡 with access to info probably feel important leak him stuff. Hope his super hat money is enough to support source and their family when Sony finds out who it and fires them.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I blame Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst for rejecting the pitch of Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts creators.
I remembered reading about this. One speculation I've read had it where the creators approached PlayStation for funding and that PlayStation was game for it, but that PlayStation wanted some sort/form of console exclusivity in return. However, the creators rejected PlayStation's offer citing that they have every intention to bring the game to as many platforms from the get go. So if that indeed is what happened then make sense for PS to want an exclusivity deal. Approaching a game company like PlayStation and asking for their money to help create your game will surely result in said game company wanting something in return.

Reactions: Diah

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Other way around, western studios are what crystal dynamics and eidos would have been if Marvel's avengers had become the next fortnite
Marvel avengers was garbage and was never going to be the next Fortnite. The first time it was revealed I could tell ppl were not digging it even still I’m surprised it bombed as big as it did. It was on psplus and I still wouldn’t touch it. It was 3.99 I thought should I grab this? But I decide Fck no I’d rather be caught with the I am mayo games in my games library than that avengers garbage. Also I hate Fortnite so what do I know 🤷🏽‍♂️

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I blame Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst for rejecting the pitch of Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts creators.
Yeah because it’s not going to make any money. All these ppl saying ps should have funded the game but these fake ass fans aren’t even willing to find the game with their own money. Did the kickstarter even reach the stretch goal of 1 million dollars yet? Most ppl won’t even donate a single dollar to help but your telling me if ps funded it and slapped a $70 price tag on this game they would buy it? Also I’m pretty sure ps isn’t the only publisher they took the game to I’m pretty sure others rejected it as well. The lead designer said as much in an interview. He said new jrpgs have trouble getting funded big names like persona ff and established franchises get all the funding so not much left over for new jrpg ip.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I know Bend is already talking about a "new IP" but I hope it's just a AAA Syphon Filter building on the PSP games. We need a Splinter Cell with Uncharted's bombast.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I know Bend is already talking about a "new IP" but I hope it's just a AAA Syphon Filter building on the PSP games. We need a Splinter Cell with Uncharted's bombast.
it might have some splinter cell dna in it considering how much Bend has been promoting the classic splinter cell games more so than other studios have been promoting their classics.

• brain
Reactions: Jim Ryan