David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Japan studio was a liability that couldn’t get its sht together. They had 40+ projects in various stages of development at one time in 2013 they couldn’t focus. Sony made the right decision. Jaffe just comes off as butter and still trying to stick in to Sony because gow is better than ever without him, twice dyed metal will be better without him. Instead of trying to constantly undermine Sony, attacking ps, capping for garbage games and pushing gamepass he needs to do something useful.

Don't you work for Sony? 😂

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
How hard is Horizon being pushed? Sequel, PC releases, VR, GAAS, DLC etc
Nixxes.... his friends!
Firesprite to make Horizon Call of the Mountain.

Against Japanese studios, why? Cause he doesn't want his studios competing with studios from Japan or them communicating back to HQ that he is fucking up or playing favorites.
One of those individuals that never give the right aura out the bat. When a studio head from a Sony mid studio whose mastery was mid shooters that didn't stack with the competition despite continuous efforts...... when that dude of all dudes rose to the top of the ladder in the UK coup, as opposed to others at the top of more successful Sony studios, say Naughty Dog heads or SSM heads that specialize in what became Sony's forte and renaissance that was an alarm bell for things to come. I wasn't in the least surprised that Bungie was acquired by Sony with Herman as head of worldwide studios... being always in Bungie's rear view mirror during the PS3 era, and seeing it happen again with Destiny was like the "tap out" moment. But even Bungie, as big as they're due to the genre they part take in, they've never been regarded as good as Naughty Dog or SSM by relative comparison, only Rockstar is there. The power shift and struggle will be a thing the more Microsoft puts the squeeze for consolidation, and thus the greater the impetus for clear winners and a constant source of revenue to give breathing room for every one studio under Sony's ownership.

Sure Microsoft will be chaos, but so will Sony if they "fast follow", which seems be sort of one of the many points.

The Jim/Hermen era can't die any sooner.
This stuff doesn't get talked about enough.... Horizon was the first PS Studios game to be ported to PC and I wouldn't be surprised if he personally went out of his way to give Kojima the Decima engine just to give him cover to start the pc porting process. And like @Bryank75 hooking his neighbors at Nixxes up with very easy work. All of these worthless acquisitions like Haven and Bungie are just to compensate for his shortcomings with Killzone....I love Horizon but it's not the IP that should be getting the insane amount of support that it does... Not to mention how much he sucks Phil off on Twitter 😒

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Jaffe didn't love it ... He loved starfield though best game ever made that really pushing the medium forward & isn't anything like all the other Bethesda RPGs 😉🤣

I said that I am loving Spider-man 2.... nothing about Jaffe liking it. Although I see he is playing it.

But yeah, I heard him praising Starfield like crazy, despite how many issues there are with it.... my brother even returned it on Steam and he RARELY refunds a game.

He definitely has a schtick, which involves winding up PS fans or just shitting on everything PS does.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Japan studio was a liability that couldn’t get its sht together. They had 40+ projects in various stages of development at one time in 2013 they couldn’t focus. Sony made the right decision. Jaffe just comes off as butter and still trying to stick in to Sony because gow is better than ever without him, twice dyed metal will be better without him. Instead of trying to constantly undermine Sony, attacking ps, capping for garbage games and pushing gamepass he needs to do something useful.
Exactly. People like to blame Ryan and Hulst for Japan Studio’s closure. But the fall of that studio started under Yoshida and Shawn Layden’s watch.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
yep, for people to believe this they’d have to actually think that Hulst would want to get rid of Polyphony Digital and Team Asobi 🙄
Hermen couldn't get rid of Polyphony IF he tried. The Axe would drop on him immediately and he would be fired. And there's a reason Asobi was saved and it was because Jim Ryan is actually a fan of them. He said his grand daughter is a fan of Astro.... No coincidence they survived

Reactions: Diah

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
And YET it was still shortsighted to get rid of Japan Studios because they had serious talent there. The first mistake they made was sending over someone from Sony Santa Monica to try and restructure a Japanese company... So yeah, sure things were bouhd to get messy then and there.

Even so they offered a lot of support to WWS and when they made actual gems they were swept under the rug... Like Puppeteer or the underrated Soul Sacrifice Delta. You have a studio supporting a dead platform called the Vita and expected them to not run into the red?

It was shortsighted and the PS5 platform is definitely feeling ge effects of the void left because of the loss of this studio.

Reactions: Diah

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This stuff doesn't get talked about enough.... Horizon was the first PS Studios game to be ported to PC and I wouldn't be surprised if he personally went out of his way to give Kojima the Decima engine just to give him cover to start the pc porting process. And like @Bryank75 hooking his neighbors at Nixxes up with very easy work. All of these worthless acquisitions like Haven and Bungie are just to compensate for his shortcomings with Killzone....I love Horizon but it's not the IP that should be getting the insane amount of support that it does... Not to mention how much he sucks Phil off on Twitter 😒
Loosen the tinfoild hat there, bud.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why should we Trust David Jaffe? His lied many times before

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
Hermen couldn't get rid of Polyphony IF he tried. The Axe would drop on him immediately and he would be fired. And there's a reason Asobi was saved and it was because Jim Ryan is actually a fan of them. He said his grand daughter is a fan of Astro.... No coincidence they survived

Damn. I wish my grand dad was Jim Ryan. I'd be rich as fuck.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Ultimately, all the problems started with this traitor.

images-6.jpg

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Jim Ryan’s grand daughter being a fan of Astro? I never heard that.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think Herman has been shit but if this is true.. Big if. I actually hate him and want him out so fast

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I said that I am loving Spider-man 2.... nothing about Jaffe liking it. Although I see he is playing it.

But yeah, I heard him praising Starfield like crazy, despite how many issues there are with it.... my brother even returned it on Steam and he RARELY refunds a game.

He definitely has a schtick, which involves winding up PS fans or just shitting on everything PS does.
Bitter employee seeing their old company become too successful without em'

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I hope the disease which is infecting PlayStation with PC porting, GaaS bs and focus on western garbage will be soon cleared. Hermen Hulst and all who share his vision, I pray for their retirement.

• fire
Reactions: Diah and Bryank75