David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I hope the disease which is infecting PlayStation with PC porting, GaaS bs and focus on western garbage will be soon cleared. Hermen Hulst and all who share his vision, I pray for their retirement.
Idk man, COD sold 10m every years

Destiny 2 got a shit ton of players

FF14 is Square main revenue sources

Fortnite single handedly save Epic Games

2K NBA, EA football games

As much as we hated it, that is where revenues came from.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
@Eternal_Wings

I know you has been kind obssessed with Jap singleplayer games. The problem is well, even Jap publishers trying to pivoting to other mean as well.

With the sucess of FFVII mobile and MonHun mobile, I think Capcom and Square will definitely trying to pivot to mobile. Even Totoki himself scrutinised Jim Ryan's mobile venture failure.

I am not trying to defend GaaS here but AAA games's budgets as been exploding so they need something to foot the bills.

The problem is Sony should do it without canibalizing SP output, that should be worrisome

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Ultimately tech companies are going to work together at some point in their history if it benefits their business. This Sony MS partnership went nowhere and was ended almost as soon as it begun.

I think the poster was more alluding to the fact the CEO of Sony didn't alert anyone within the company he was gonna a meet with their Top divisions main rival to strike a deal which could have possibly undermined Playstation in the long run. The entire company was caught off guard and I'm sure that played a role in why it quickly fell apart

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Don't let the door hit you on the way out losers. Lord Hulst has Ascended!

Angry Chicken GIF

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
If this is true then this f@cker needs to go.
🙄 why ? Ppl always complain oh no poor Japan studio and 99% of the time they neither own or play Japan studio games. Knack snd gravity rush sold like sht. Where was all this live for japan studio when it came to spend money on their games? Japan studio was mostly a glorified support studio with no major hits or financial success in over a decade. Like MM they had a staff of over 200 and what did they produce with? Knack? Gravity rush? Which wasn’t bad but didn’t set they world on fire.while most ps studios elevated themselves in the ps4 era Japan studio was still stuck in the ps2 or early ps3 era.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
David Jaffe (The Always angry ex God of War creator) says Herman Hulst pushed for Japan Studio closure (rip Bloodborne)
Japan Studio made no sense after Vita flopped. They weren't going to make AAA PS4 games.
I can't blame the strategy, Japan Studio was not very productive, and they were a bit lacking compared to Sony's premiere studios. I suppose they were ok as a support studio, but it would have been nice to have them produce Demon's Souls sequels or other more heavy hitting exclusives.
Exactly. People like to blame Ryan and Hulst for Japan Studio’s closure. But the fall of that studio started under Yoshida and Shawn Layden’s watch.

They didn't close Japan Studio.

Japan Studio's XDEV 2nd party publishing team branched out into their own office (in the same building they were when labeled as Japan Studio) where they are growing and working in more games (Death Stranding Director's Cut, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade etc) than they ever did before. Now in addition to Japanese games they also handle the SIE published games from the rest of Asia. Nothing new, the XDEV (2nd publishing) teams from EU and NA also branched out from local dev teams where they originally were.

They merged the different Japan Studio internal development teams into one of them (Team Asobi) and changed the management team making some firings and promoting the Team Asobi leader to head of the studio. Team Asobi continues working in the same building where they were with the Japan Studio label but in a new office where they are also growing and plan to be 100 people soon.

It's always sad to see people fired, but after like almost 3 decades with no hit game and even a few turds or money sinks released I think it was need to do some changes.

Against Japanese studios, why?
Polyphony has been growing and now has 2 teams.

Their Japanese 2nd party publishing team now have their own office, has been growing, is working in more games than ever before and now also covering the other Asian countries.

They merged their Japan Studio internal development teams into Team Asobi, gave them a new office leaded by them and now are growing.

The Japanese Shuhei Yoshida is leading what he wanted: a division to support indies.

Their 3rd party relations team is headed by a Japanese ex-Capcom executive.

Sony Music (where PlayStation was born) acquired Lasengle, the Japanese studio who made them that super successful mobile game -specially in Asia/Japan- and also makes console games like Melty Blood. Plus also has Aniplex and other stuff where they make more Japanese games like the ForwardWorks ones.

They signed many big and small Japanese 3rd party exclusives like Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Forspoken (on paper when announced looked really promising), Guilty Gear Strive, Street Fighter 6 and Resident Evil 4 generation exclusives, RE4 and RE Village VR exclusivity and many more. More than MS and Nintendo combined.

They don't have any issue against Japanese studios at all.

Everyone that was part of the GAAS push should be gone....
Shawn Layden was already fired, and Shuhei Yoshida is now helping indies.

Most of the Sony GaaS were greenlighted before the Jimbo+Hermen era, most of the games greenlighted by Jimbo+Hermen aren't GaaS.

So you should ask Layden and Shuhei as PS Studio heads and John Kodera as SIE CEO more than Hermen or Jimbo.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GrayWolf323

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
JS was mismanaged to hell thanks to Mena Sato. Their doom was not focusing on creating AAA games. Gravity Rush, WKC etc. weren’t that bad but also not successful. This is why Team Asobi will create AAA Platformer as Astrobot and maybe Ape Escape.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
JS was mismanaged to hell thanks to Mena Sato. Their doom was not focusing on creating AAA games. Gravity Rush, WKC etc. weren’t that bad but also not successful. This is why Team Asobi will create AAA Platformer as Astrobot and maybe Ape Escape.
Ueda's game still nowhere to be seen.

Kinda sad actually because his PS2 games are some of my favorite.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
And YET it was still shortsighted to get rid of Japan Studios because they had serious talent there. The first mistake they made was sending over someone from Sony Santa Monica to try and restructure a Japanese company... So yeah, sure things were bouhd to get messy then and there.

Even so they offered a lot of support to WWS and when they made actual gems they were swept under the rug... Like Puppeteer or the underrated Soul Sacrifice Delta. You have a studio supporting a dead platform called the Vita and expected them to not run into the red?

It was shortsighted and the PS5 platform is definitely feeling ge effects of the void left because of the loss of this studio.
🙄 yeah it was shortsighted we are really missing out on knack 3. 🙄 Japan studio was dysfunctional and ps leadership tried to say it but it didn’t want to be saved. PS wanted to make games that had world wide appeal by Japan studio leadership wanted to make games that that specifically targeted the Japanese market, games that all bombed. Japan studio was barely turn a profit. Does your boss keep paying u of your level of production barely breaks even?

They brought in Allen Becker to turn Japan studio around when the ps4 launch and after an entire gen he still couldn’t turn things around. It internal culture was restart to change except for team asobi. Becker used to be head of Santa Monica and they brought him in specifically to turn the studio around. His goal was
"For Japan Studio to be relevant globally in two and a half years."
How did that turn out, 7 yrs later Japan studio was still struggling. The goal was 2 yrs they gave it 7. When he left it’s when they closed it. Obviously they thought it out careful.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
I can't blame the strategy, Japan Studio was not very productive, and they were a bit lacking compared to Sony's premiere studios. I suppose they were ok as a support studio, but it would have been nice to have them produce Demon's Souls sequels or other more heavy hitting exclusives.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Japan Studio made no sense after Vita flopped. They weren't going to make AAA PS4 games.

Okay but that doesn't mean they don't need studios in Japan, it's a huge part of the appeal of PlayStation.

If people wanted a big american gamer box, they would have bought an Xbox.

They need to lean into their heritage and culture more.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Okay but that doesn't mean they don't need studios in Japan, it's a huge part of the appeal of PlayStation.

If people wanted a big american gamer box, they would have bought an Xbox.

They need to lean into their heritage and culture more.
Playstation's culture is international. There are strong trends in Japan, US, and Europe. Where AAA development is strong in Japan, Playstation supports and partners with it. Recently Playstation had strong partnerships with From and Square. Playstation is heavily promoting Tekken 8. Kojima Productions is very tight with Playstation and we know they're working on Death Stranding 2 as a first party.

It would be awesome to see Playstation spread even more internationally into South Asia and South America.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Playstation's culture is international. There are strong trends in Japan, US, and Europe. Where AAA development is strong in Japan, Playstation supports and partners with it. Recently Playstation had strong partnerships with From and Square. Playstation is heavily promoting Tekken 8. Kojima Productions is very tight with Playstation and we know they're working on Death Stranding 2 as a first party.

It would be awesome to see Playstation spread even more internationally into South Asia and South America.

True but for a company with its roots in Japan, there is very little development under 1st party in that country and I agree that it would be nice to see more of a spread but Japan should be a part of that and should be a pronounced focus IMO.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
True but for a company with its roots in Japan, there is very little development under 1st party in that country and I agree that it would be nice to see more of a spread but Japan should be a part of that and should be a pronounced focus IMO.
I think Sony is having really strong relationship with Japanese game devs

Capcom makes 2 VR titles only for PSVR2, SE deals, Sony owned a chunk of FS shares, Bandai Namco is pushing PS5 the main platform for their big titles, Koei Tecmo works with SIE publishing again.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

You seem not to understand the core‘s discrepancy. It’s not about their 3rd Party content. They don’t develop their own Japanese games. Final Fantasy, Silent Hill are not their own created franchises. PlayStation Japan is definitely lacking this. They rely too much on 3rd Party and that’s not a good prospect.
Sony needs to buy/establish Japanese studios. Japan has lot of talents to be discovered and some developer legends being right now unemployed. Everyone who is against Sony developing more own created Japanese content is selfish and egoistic. Hell PlayStation‘s 1st Party output is 90% western stuff (Europe & NA).

Reactions: Diah and Bryank75

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
You seem not to understand the core‘s discrepancy. It’s not about their 3rd Party content. They don’t develop their own Japanese games. Final Fantasy, Silent Hill are not their own created franchises. PlayStation Japan is definitely lacking this. They rely too much on 3rd Party and that’s not a good prospect.
Sony needs to buy/establish Japanese studios. Japan has lot of talents to be discovered and some developer legends being right now unemployed. Everyone who is against Sony developing more own created Japanese content is selfish and egoistic. Hell PlayStation‘s 1st Party output is 90% western stuff (Europe & NA).
I remember reading somewhere that the creator of Wild Arms said something like this. Back in 2018 his team pitched a project to SIE, presumaly a JRPG, but they rejected the idea.

He went to Square, they also rejected it. The two biggest publishers doesn't want to fund a JRPG game from a known creator, then you know....

Reactions: Bryank75