David Jaffe says Sony should buy Ubisoft

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Nope. Nobody is selling right now, market isn't favourable for acquisitions and prices will be low.

Ubisoft have actively fought off takeovers and I hope they continue to do it

Sony should be buying from a selection of From Software, Larian, CD Project, Arrowhead and Shift Up

• they're_right_you_know
  • brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Nope. Nobody is selling right now, market isn't favourable for acquisitions and prices will be low.

Ubisoft have actively fought off takeovers and I hope they continue to do it

Sony should be buying from a selection of From Software, Larian, CD Project, Arrowhead and Shift Up
Stop stealing my ideas ffs

Pictures Thief GIF

• haha
Reactions: Johnic

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So their operational costs skyrocket so much that the only sensible business choice is to destroy their own platform and become a full-blown third-party publisher?

Where have we seen that before?

(Before anyone says PS is already a third-party publisher, don’t bother quoting me)

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Acquiring and hiring French ponces will be a recipe for disaster, the only thing they are good at is being cowards. If you think commiefornia is a disaster wait till the lefty french join them it will be a fusion that will put Stalin to shame. We will get sterile paint by numbers generic slop from the politburo, oops from the game studios

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Acquiring and hiring French ponces will be a recipe for disaster, the only thing they are good at is being cowards. If you think commiefornia is a disaster wait till the lefty french join them it will be a fusion that will put Stalin to shame. We will get sterile paint by numbers generic slop from the politburo, oops from the game studios
Ubisoft is french but most of the studios that make the big hits like Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry are in Canada (Montreal) and Star Wars, Avatar and The Division are Swedish.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Ubisoft conference was boring and lacked big surprises, as could be BGE2 gameplay and release date or Far Cry 7 announcement.

And well, first Ubisoft doesn't want to sell, and even less to someone who could limit the platforms they support or their creative freedom.

And second Sony doesn't need Ubisoft to "compete", since they already dominate. And well, Sony aims with their acquisitions to grow to excel on types of games they don't cover with their internal development teams and Ubisoft may help a bit in some areas but pretty much they cover similar stuff that Sony already covers.

And well, Sony said they won't make big acquisitions for a while, maybe once they get the money from selling their banks, and that they are pushing to improve their profits and in recent years the costs related to recent acquisitions they aim to complete paying them soon.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yup! Ubisoft has so many good IP's but they just need some fine tuning. As you mentioned with The Crew it's a great game in concept and execution but I truly can't deal with the weightless floaty feeling of the controls.

I've always thought they'd be a good buy. They just need some quality control to be great again
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this year. Assassin's Creed Shadows and Star Wars Outlaws look like their best games in years. Hope they deliver.

Reactions: The Icon

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
You'd be crazy to take over Ubisoft. It needs reorganisation as the staffing cost alone will be a millstone around Sony's neck for years. Jaffe is well off with his idea. Who benefits from this purchase? Not Sony who are resource strapped with Ubisoft staff, not Playstation players as the games are already on Playstation.

I'm not an acquisition type of guy. I'd rather third party remain third party.

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Compete with microsoft in the "going out of business in gaming soon" market? No ty

Ubisoft is way overstaffed and Sony would collapse under the weight of it

• brain

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Jaffe is an idiot with no business sense. Makes no sense to buy an entire publisher especially one with 20,000 employees. No body bought Ubisoft for a reason when it was buying season on gaming companies recently.

• brain

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Jaffe is mad. Ubisoft is one of the worst publishers Sony could buy. First they are bloated as hell with 20k employees. Second their games are nearly all the same boring concept: Vast empty worlds which look generic. Third they would be too expensive with their assets across Europe and NA. It would be also an Odyssee for Sony to get this approved by the western antitrust authorities. If Sony wants to acquire a publisher, they should look into Japan. Either Sega or Square Enix. Both low valued but own popular and beloved franchises across the world. Also buying a Japanese publisher, Western Antitrust authorities could do nothing about it.

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Sony is content with Bungie. They won't make any moves like that again for a long time.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony is content with Bungie. They won't make any moves like that again for a long time.
Not necessarily. I wouldn't rule out an unexpected M+A in Japan. The Yen is very low currently plus there are some legendary Publishers undervalued at the stock exchange. Also Hiroki Totoki the chairman of SIE wants to acquire IPs across Entertainment (not only Music or Pictures).
If there is an opportunity Sony will take the initiative.

• Informative
Reactions: Neversummer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Jaffe is mad. Ubisoft is one of the worst publishers Sony could buy. First they are bloated as hell with 20k employees. Second their games are nearly all the same boring concept: Vast empty worlds which look generic. Third they would be too expensive with their asstes across Europe and NA. It would be also an Odyssee for Sony to get this approved by the western antitrust authorities. If Sony wants to acquire a publisher, they should look into Japan. Either Sega or Square Enix. Both low valued but own popular and beloved franchises across the world. Also buying a Japanese publisher, Western Antitrust authorities could do nothing about it.
I honestly think he has an axe to grind with Sony and wants them to fail

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Not necessarily. I wouldn't rule out an unexpected M+A in Japan. The Yen is very low currently plus there are some legendary Publishers undervalued at the stock exchange. Also Hiroki Totoki the chairman of SIE wants to acquire IPs across Entertainment (not only Music or Pictures).
If there is an opportunity Sony will take the initiative.
Dude Sony isnt buying anything big no time soon. They buy studios. Thats pretty much it. SE will never be bought by Sony. If they were, it would of happened already.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
This moron's opinions don't deserve any elaborate discussions. People just laugh at his tweets and move on.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me