David Jaffe says Sony should buy Ubisoft

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Regulators won't allow it. Sony is the market leader, big publishers are off limits. At best they will be forced to make everything multiplatform, at which point why even buy them.
Has nothing to do with being market leader lol. Being a market leader is only a temporary snapshot in time. No the reason why Antitrust authorities wouldn't allow the acquisition of a WESTERN publisher, is because these western authorities are bribed by Microsoft and the USA. That's it.
Anyway if Sony should wager to acquire a publisher, it will be a Company from Japan. Cheaper and mostly IPs are resonating better with Sony's Group synergies.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Regulators won't allow it. Sony is the market leader, big publishers are off limits. At best they will be forced to make everything multiplatform, at which point why even buy them.
Sony isn’t the market leader in the console market. Nintendo is

Fortinbras

6 May 2024
Total operating income of $19 billion, enough to acquire publishers.

0pVuytL.jpeg

Sony Group CEO (Kenichiro Yoshida) and President (Hiroki Totoki) don't care about hardware sales, market share or exclusives. They demand record profits year in, year out, and have no intention of reinvesting those profits in SIE.

Sony isn’t the market leader in the console market. Nintendo is

Nintendo Switch software sold 35.72 million units in (Jan - Mar) 2024

When was the last time PlayStation software sold less than 40 million units ? (Jan - Mar) 1997

Nintendo has been completely defeated.

Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Steam ... the final boss is Sony Group Corporation.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

0pVuytL.jpeg

Sony Group CEO (Kenichiro Yoshida) and President (Hiroki Totoki) don't care about hardware sales, market share or exclusives. They demand record profits year in, year out, and have no intention of reinvesting those profits in SIE.

When was the last time PlayStation software sold less than 40 million units ? (Jan - Mar) 1997

Majority of the software sales on the Switch are from Nintendo games? PlayStation ain't touching 30 million first party softwares ever in a single quarter.

The Switch 2 will be the real test for Nintendo and if it's a run away success again, PlayStation ain't ever touching back #1

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

0pVuytL.jpeg

You sure are reading a lot into the least important quarter of the year, one in which Nintendo had only one "big" release- which underperformed.

• Surprised

MrAss

24 May 2024
Didn't know Ubisoft is so cheap right now. Somehow I was under impression their market cap is still around 10 bil like a few years ago. Still don't think Sony needs them

• they're_right_you_know

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Didn't know Ubisoft is so cheap right now. Somehow I was under impression their market cap is still around 10 bil like a few years ago. Still don't think Sony needs them

The only reason to look at ubisoft now is to think that this is their bottom and as an asset they're actually worth considerably more.

Like I said, it wouldn't be a dumb decision depending on what the strategy was for them after the fact, but there are better options to buy out there. So much that suggesting it makes it pretty dumb.

It's also worth noting that they have about 3.2 billion in liabilities. Kadokawa as a whole has about 800 million. Square Enix has about 600 million.

I'd say Ubisoft's debt alone is a disqualifier and even as their market cap shrinks, their debt increases, so while you might pay less premium in time, that debt keeps climbing.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Sony and Microsoft cannot buy Ubisoft because France will block the acquisition.
Microsoft can't buy Ubisoft due to Ubisoft holding ABK streaming rights. This was done to reduce the fears of the purchase.

There is no benefit to Sony buying Ubisoft. The damage absorbing large companies could derail other areas. Sony can't afford an ill judged purchase. MS could buy a publisher a quarter and could survive the fallout of mismanagement.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
I said this before that Ubisoft would make a lot of sense at an IP-Transmedia level but as a company they have a lot of bloat.

They own Tom Clancy rights.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Majority of the software sales on the Switch are from Nintendo games? PlayStation ain't touching 30 million first party softwares ever in a single quarter.

The Switch 2 will be the real test for Nintendo and if it's a run away success again, PlayStation ain't ever touching back #1
It's not out of the real of possibility that the Switch 2 could be even more successful than the Switch. There are a lot of improves to be made.

Meanwhile Sony is having hard time convincing people to move from PS4 to PS5 and the PS5 isn't doing much better than the PS4 despite the collapse of Xbox.

It doesn't need to be some huge shift for things to completely flip in favor of Nintendo going forward. A small increase in sales for them, a small decrease in sales for PlayStation, more third-party support and more people buying third-party games on Nintendo. Those things alone would create an incredibly favorable situation for Nintendo and there would be massive pressure from shareholders for Sony and their console business (since they already lack confidence now the situation could easily get out of control).

Nintendo is now partnered with the world biggest company when it comes to developing hardware and there are huge incentives for NVidia to disrupt the PlayStation business specifically.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's not out of the real of possibility that the Switch 2 could be even more successful than the Switch.
I don't think it'll reach Switch numbers, especially if it's more expensive. Casuals won't be easily convinced to buy another Nintendo for the kids. It could be the Wii/WiiU situation again, only on a smaller scale.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
No need for Ubisoft. Sony has enough Western oriented IPs and studios that reach 20+ million sales. The only benefit of acquiring Ubisoft is having the library on Plus which they already do with a partnership on Extra for Ubi Classic. Ubisoft is really bloated and mismanaged + Spiderman, Horizon, Ghost and Days Gone shows internal studios made the better and more interesting Ubi formula open world. Turning PS studios into a factory assembly line for output is going to diminish quality and water down everything.

Sony is better off getting more proven boutique studios/ or grow talent, in genre's they are lacking. e.g. Fighting with Arc Systemworks or J-rpgs with Nihon Falcom. Cheaper, proven studios of quality and games with no absurd budgets. Or grow talent; already got a Ubi studio with Haven.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't think it'll reach Switch numbers, especially if it's more expensive. Casuals won't be easily convinced to buy another Nintendo for the kids. It could be the Wii/WiiU situation again, only on a smaller scale.
I see no similarities to the Wii at all and there is an entirelly new generation of kids for them to sell to.

The Switch successor will benefit a lot more from the hardware improvement than the PS5 did. The stage is set for Nintendo to solidify their lead.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I see no similarities to the Wii at all and there is an entirelly new generation of kids for them to sell to.

The Switch successor will benefit a lot more from the hardware improvement than the PS5 did. The stage is set for Nintendo to solidify their lead.
Eh I don’t think there’s much to worry about regarding Nintendo they solidified themselves w the Switch. Switch 2 will be near or at the power of PS4 & get more 3rd party supports.

Nintendo is the only one w exclusive.

Nintendo lineup for the release of Switch 2 is looking crazy already.

Metroid, Pokemon mainline & Donkey Kong game are all slated for 2025. Just quessing but a new Mario, Smash or Splatoon 4 isn’t far fetch. The 3 games already announce is far better then what PS has/announce & Nintendo games are actually exclusive permanently. Nintendo will likely announce more with the Switch 2 reveal or announce more games for 2025 in early 2025 like they just did.

As long as Nintendo has true permanent exclusive there almost invincible as long as they don’t stray to far w the concept of the console or naming Switch 2 is easily a 150+ console sold. We should be seeing more live service games hit Nintendo like COD, GTA6, Battlefield hell even PS live service might go to Nintendo giving how a key franchise Lego Horizon is given the AOK by PS leadership to launch day 1 including PC but skip PS4 the platform that birth the Horizon franchise & the platform that still has over 50% of PS playerbase

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
With the way the EU regulators setup the Activision MS sale with ubisoft i dont think it would be an easy thing for Sony to do right now.

Sony need to get Take 2.

Cyberbroly7

3 Jun 2023
Don't insult users
Disgusting, zero value added for PlayStation players since we already have access to all their trashy games.

Ubisoft stinks, but Sony bean counters would likely go for what they see as a value buy instead of going for quality.

Capcom, Square Enix, From Software, all of these are much better purchases if they are going after a publisher.
I can tell u have no idea what Ure talking, just spouting utter hate nonsense without any brain behind it...u don't even know how PlayStation needs Ubisoft

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom