David Jaffe says Sony should buy Ubisoft

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Disgusting, zero value added for PlayStation players since we already have access to all their trashy games.

Ubisoft stinks, but Sony bean counters would likely go for what they see as a value buy instead of going for quality.

Capcom, Square Enix, From Software, all of these are much better purchases if they are going after a publisher.
Not to mention over 20K & like 40 studios to overhead sure there dirt cheap for the ip gain but PS is better of poaching talent & creating new studios w Ubisoft talent like Haven. 2 games that should be brought back w Ubisoft talent SOCOM & MAG especially poaching the ton clancy team. Wanting PS to buy Ubisoft is so gross + china already owns a part of Ubisoft which would likely stop a acquisition due to clause where you get a investment but can’t sell for the next 5 years or clauses that gives tencent/NetEase I forgot who the first right to bid a Ubisoft acquisition.

There’s better acquisition targets like Capcom, Kadokawa/Fromsoft, Sega I would say Square but Sony is probably better investing in them & buying out the Dragon Quest franchise all you really need is FF & DQ games as exclusive to somewhat compete w Nintendo. Hell I would put WB as a better acquisition target that would benefit Sony & PS both with ip & studios helping & bolstering Sony/PS both unlike the Paramount potential buyout. Capcom ofc has monster hunter, resident evil & street fighter + they have mega man & ghost & goblins which are untapped franchise smaller but have great potential smaller budget & translate both mega man & ghost & goblins anime. Capcom also has a history w EVO & experience w VR. Sega ofc has Sonic which is showing great results in cross media they also have yakuza & persona that are staples & great addition persona anime or yakuza live action have great potential they also look to be releasing more games per year annualizing there franchise which can cover PS dry spell. Crazy taxi, Jet set, bayonetta, samba de amigo have great synergy whether it’s Sony pictures/PS production & making shows, movies or anime or Sony music most sega games are great for mobile expansion Sonic games on mobile are big but overall these are smaller franchises that would fill a nicher area that PS themselves ignored w there own ip.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Ubisoft is a shit company and most of their games are trash, why would Sony buy them?
Outside Sony not poaching the devs from Ubisoft & acquire ip + gain pure studio output.

Buying bust while not my pick of an acquisition target for how low they are would make somewhat sense if PS wanted to increase output + gain studio who make simar games. Tom Clancy singleplayer, AC singleplayer, the division team could be put into a SOCOM singleplayer & live service multiplayer or MAG or have the Rainbow 6 seige team work on a SOCOM or MAG (sad Sony poach that R6 Seige dev just to have him work on a Horizon online instead of maybe a Killzone reboot or existing ip like MAG, SOCOM) Sony buying Rainbow 6 which is a great game which Sony could inject there ip skins it’s also a great game w a esport scene. Splinter cell is getting a remake which would be a great exclusive game that PS doesn’t really get (tactical stealth military shooter) Sony could license out old ip that Ubisoft have experience with like SOCOM, MAG, inFAMOUS, Uncharted a overall double down on Sony key franchise & older ip that would be a banger in todays age. We could see a new Ghost of game every 2-3 years by having the AC team go from yearly to every 2-3 years a new AC to fill & create new Ghost of or franchise I name to return.

Overall buying Ubisoft is for the dev/studio who have experience working on similar style franchise or filling areas PS lack like military shooter whether singleplayer or multiplayer. There would be a lot of shaving & firing a ton of fat from Ubisoft which itself is a reason to not buy Ubisoft the negative articles that Sony fired after acquisition at a larger scale isn’t something you want your name surrounded by when trying make future acquisitions. I still think there’s other acquisitions target I would chose outside Ubisoft like Capcom, Kadokawa/Fronsoft, WB, Sega & finally Square (thoe square could be dealt differently w a major investment & acquiring DQ) there’s also studios like Level 5, Arc System work etc that would be great acquisition filling areas PS doesn’t cater.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
That is the clear S tier move. Also before someone else gets them.
Willing to bet Tencent gets them before Sony ever pulls the trigger. Sony/PS probably to busy thinking what platforms they should release future singleplayer games on PC & Switch 2 or releasing there live service on PC & Switch 2 then focusing on there own platform which has lack exclusive games & a reason to further purchase future PS consoles or invest & buy games or subscription rn on the current PS5 gen.

Typical Sony. We went from end of PS3 & PS4 w a focus of games, its own platform & expanded audience by making new ip to whatever PS is now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ubisoft would be a waste. I think you can name any other decent publisher and it would be better than Ubisoft

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
microsoft spent 70bil on activision blizzard.
Let's say 1 AAA game is 500mil (which it is not, it's closer to 200-300) but let's say 500.
So rather than spending 70bil on cod... they could make 140 games with 500mil budget.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Willing to bet Tencent gets them before Sony ever pulls the trigger. Sony/PS probably to busy thinking what platforms they should release future singleplayer games on PC & Switch 2 or releasing there live service on PC & Switch 2 then focusing on there own platform which has lack exclusive games & a reason to further purchase future PS consoles or invest & buy games or subscription rn on the current PS5 gen.

Typical Sony. We went from end of PS3 & PS4 w a focus of games, its own platform & expanded audience by making new ip to whatever PS is now.
You do understand that From is already owned by a larger subsidiary in Kadokawa right?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sorta worth it for Rainbow Six and Asscreed. I also love Crew Motorsport.

I just don’t want to see everything be Tom Clancy and Asscreed. In fact I’d like to see Sony reboot it all in their image.

Sorta agree but also don’t want to see it happen. Not necessary. Sony doesn’t need help kicking Phil’s ass.

PlayStation unlike others is capable of creating new IP and fostering ideas. They don’t need to go on a buying spree for Ip. Chase talent not Ip.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
microsoft spent 70bil on activision blizzard.
Let's say 1 AAA game is 500mil (which it is not, it's closer to 200-300) but let's say 500.
So rather than spending 70bil on cod... they could make 140 games with 500mil budget.
Not exactly how that works.

Sure MS had 70 billion to spend but they wasn’t gonna spend 70 billion to make 200+ games on either existing ip or new ip that could’ve flop not to mention it would take 5-7 years unless it’s a smaller game. They spent 70 billion to gain studio & ip under 2 years & fuse ABK revenue & profits into Xbox. Also if they spend 70 billion on 200+ games that’s a bunch of oversight & management likely resulting in some if not most of those games coming out as flops overall wasting time & money.

It’s like if Apple was going to get into gaming they wouldn’t spend billions green lighting games from 3rd party they would likely buy a 3rd party publisher & label them as Apple gaming studios & all the restructuring needed in the first 1-2 years then they would green light new ip or exist ip under Apple new leadership.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Not exactly how that works.

Sure MS had 70 billion to spend but they wasn’t gonna spend 70 billion to make 200+ games on either existing ip or new ip that could’ve flop not to mention it would take 5-7 years unless it’s a smaller game. They spent 70 billion to gain studio & ip under 2 years & fuse ABK revenue & profits into Xbox. Also if they spend 70 billion on 200+ games that’s a bunch of oversight & management likely resulting in some if not most of those games coming out as flops overall wasting time & money.
Exactly. Slow and steady expansion of studios so you don't have mismanagement like Matt Booty

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
You do understand that From is already owned by a larger subsidiary in Kadokawa right?
Yes & tencent has nearly a 25% ownership in Kadokawa w Sony owning 10-15%

Just cause Fromsoft is owned by a bigger subsidiary don’t mean there isn’t a price. Kadokawa at any moment could be acquire I mean there a prime acquisition target they own a ton of manga/anime they own 2 notable gaming studios + they own the studio behind the souls genre & they own mobile studios that make game cater to Asia. Kadokawa has a low market value for the potential they have & own

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Dude Sony isnt buying anything big no time soon. They buy studios. Thats pretty much it. SE will never be bought by Sony. If they were, it would of happened already.
People have been saying the same about Bethesda and Activision. I bet Sony wants to buy them, if they receive the opportunity. Why they haven't can have infinite reasons.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Regulators won't allow it. Sony is the market leader, big publishers are off limits. At best they will be forced to make everything multiplatform, at which point why even buy them.

• haha
Reactions: mibu no ookami