David Jaffe sets Twitter on fire after calling Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “bland and old looking”

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Now, I have not played the game yet but I've seen some of the gameplay on Jaffes stream and it does look uninspiring... and bland as he said. Especially after coming from Burning Shores, which is spectacular visually and has many set pieces and one massive boss battle that make you ask 'is this a real game'? Cause it's simply so impressive.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This shot was carefully selected to make the game look like shit. Zelda is a technical achievement on the switch.
I am not saying it looks good, but not as bad as the screen shot
I thought it looked serviceable for it's art style but I just didnt like the world or gameplay much.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I thought it looked serviceable for it's art style but I just didnt like the world or gameplay much.
I agree. It's not a good looking game and really not as good as reviewers made it to be. However, I do not accept that screenshot. We have to be fair. The game maxes out the switch hardware.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He is not incorrect. I played some SotC PS4 right after playing Zelda ToTK 2 days ago and the difference in graphics is multi generational.

Only Nintendo get away with this stuff. Let's get real, if this exact same game was released on the PS5 featuring a character with a different name than Link it would not get anywhere near a 96 on Metacritic.

For as praised as the game is for it's design it also includes extremely bureaucratic and archaic mechanics, tons of boring text and dialogue.

ToTK looks great some times but can also look awful, it plays great most of the time but sometimes you are also exposed to stretches of boring/basic content. Nintendo is also extremely stubborn, they doubled down on the putrid weapon breaking system that would have taken down most other games.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
He is not incorrect. I played some SotC PS4 right after playing Zelda ToTK 2 days ago and the difference in graphics is multi generational.

Only Nintendo get away with this stuff. Let's get real, if this exact same game was released on the PS5 featuring a character with a different name than Link it would not get anywhere near a 96 on Metacritic.
It will be 66
SotC remake is one of the best looking games ever

• party
Reactions: Bryank75

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
A lot of personalities are finally telling the truth about how bland this series is. I don't watch him often but even Lirik the twitch streamer stopped playing the game because it was boring after a while.

Hopefully the next From souls game people will also see people realize that it's not the second coming of crhist, like people are now realizing with this BOTW sequel. Two of the most overhyped franchises out

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I like TotK, it has some pretty fresh ideas. But yeah in it’s core it resembles BotW by a lot. But regardless it’s more fun than BotW. This is coming from someone who struggled to play through it.

Reactions: Bryank75

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Zelda games are overrated but Jaffe just likes to stroke the fire.
I like TotK, it has some pretty fresh ideas. But yeah in it’s core it resembles BotW by a lot. But regardless it’s more fun than BotW. This is coming from someone who struggled to play through it.
More fun in what way? No heavy spoilers, please. I've yet to buy it but want more info while I wait.

Reactions: daniel5043

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Zelda games are overrated but Jaffe just likes to stroke the fire.

More fun in what way? No heavy spoilers, please. I've yet to buy it but want more info while I wait.
I don't know about others, but I've found the shrines to be a lot more challenging this time, due to Link's powers being more complex. Game also has a greater enemy variety, which was one of my complaints about the first one.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Gameplay wise. Link‘s new abilities are pretty game-changing. Also it has more deeper plot and more NPCs.
When people mention plot, I feel like I'm playing a completely different game. So far pretty much every NPC I encounter is either there to introduce some really basic concept or to just do some variation on the same exposition already brought up multiple times.