David Jaffe sets Twitter on fire after calling Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “bland and old looking”

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
He's right. Doubt anyone has a compelling argument to day he's wrong

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Completely agree with him.

2 hours in and the game looks like shite.

The brightness/bloom or whatever the hell it is isn’t helping. Almost blinded me when I first got to the world map.

Tried everything on my TV settings yet still can’t find the perfect settings.

Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nintendo would never commit enough staff to make an open world game not look like dogshit, so...

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is just me but he is criticising people that care more about visuals than gameplay? That for these the game visuals are "bland and old looking"?

BTW the visuals are what it is for the hardware it was made... it could be vastly better in a better hardware but that option doesn't exists yet for Nintendo.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It is just me but he is criticising people that care more about visuals than gameplay? That for these the game visuals are "bland and old looking"?

BTW the visuals are what it is for the hardware it was made... it could be vastly better in a better hardware but that option doesn't exists yet for Nintendo.
Intentionally, It's not like Nintendo picked switch hardware up off the street. They designed it in partnership with nvidia. It's just they didn't want to pay extra to develop a custom chip and just took a cheap bullshit mobile chipset. Nintendo is not a victim of their own hardware limitations, they CHOSE them.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The brightness/bloom or whatever the hell it is isn’t helping.
I haven't noticed any bloom-type issues in the game. What you're seeing is the effect of having white "marble" floors and walls with yellow grass growing on them. Not sure I agree with the color choices the game is making but thats not what bloom is. You could argue that the game is segmenting its color pallet between different parts of the game, but since the surface is default BotW-style washed out colors, that doesn't entirely work.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Intentionally, It's not like Nintendo picked switch hardware up off the street. They designed it in partnership with nvidia. It's just they didn't want to pay extra to develop a custom chip and just took a cheap bullshit mobile chipset. Nintendo is not a victim of their own hardware limitations, they CHOSE them.
I don't think any hardware vendor today has hardware vastly superior to Switch that allow a portable form factor... the fact Steam Deck and ASUS ROG are near twice the size of the Switch already shows the hardware limitation we have here.

Imagine that in 2017.

Switch 2 or Pro doesn't exists yet due something I'm saying for years already since we were in GAF... hardware didn't envolve enough to allow a substantial evolution in games in a portable form factor... instead they launched Switch OLED model.

Hell even the PS5 Pro is fadded to be very similar to PS5... probably a GPU around 15TFs GPU with similar CPU that is to delaying any Pro plan from Sony and Microsoft... and that from somebody that already thought PS4 to PS4 Pro was too small jump and it was vastly superior to what you will get with PS5 Pro.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I haven't noticed any bloom-type issues in the game. What you're seeing is the effect of having white "marble" floors and walls with yellow grass growing on them. Not sure I agree with the color choices the game is making but thats not what bloom is. You could argue that the game is segmenting its color pallet between different parts of the game, but since the surface is default BotW-style washed out colors, that doesn't entirely work.

I have no idea what it is. The game almost blinded me after getting to the open world after the opening underground area.

The game is too bright and vivid in the open areas and too dark when you get into the trials.

Gonna try tonight to get the perfect Tv settings cause you can’t do anything in game.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
He's just an irreverent old man yelling at the cloud seeking validation from a dead career and a one-hit wonder of a developer, he speaks more trash than anything and he says things to get attention. I think he should act like other developers and shut up and focus on his retirement.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He's just an irreverent old man yelling at the cloud seeking validation from a dead career and a one-hit wonder of a developer, he speaks more trash than anything and he says things to get attention. I think he should act like other developers and shut up and focus on his retirement.
So you can talk shit but he can't because he was once a successful dev?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't think any hardware vendor today has hardware vastly superior to Switch that allow a portable form factor... the fact Steam Deck and ASUS ROG are near twice the size of the Switch already shows the hardware limitation we have here.

Imagine that in 2017.

Switch 2 or Pro doesn't exists yet due something I'm saying for years already since we were in GAF... hardware didn't envolve enough to allow a substantial evolution in games in a portable form factor... instead they launched Switch OLED model.

Hell even the PS5 Pro is fadded to be very similar to PS5... probably a GPU around 15TFs GPU with similar CPU that is to delaying any Pro plan from Sony and Microsoft... and that from somebody that already thought PS4 to PS4 Pro was too small jump and it was vastly superior to what you will get with PS5 Pro.
Bro we had the turboexpress over in 1990 tht also plugged into TV and was console gaming on the go.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Imagine that in 2017.

wrooooooong. tegra x1 is on tsmc 16nm, maxwell architecture gpu. Compare that to Ampere which was available in 2020, uses Samsung 8nm which is way less efficient than TSMC, and even the best maxwell GPUs are less than half as power efficient. If Nintendo simply paid for an Ampere architecture mobile APU on TSMC 6nm, they could easily get a 15w-class chip that performed 2.5x+ better than the switch in 2021. They simply did not want to spend the money to do it.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The game is nothing like BotW in terms of gameplay, and is incredibly creative and varied. Also the main overworld map is VERY different and ... there is more.

Yeah it's not perfect, no game is really since they are technical creations, but that screenshot looks like they tried to find the ugliest angle possible lol.

Tired and bland ... People are welcome to their opinions but I have had a hard time putting it down and that is rare for me these days with video games.

But the game requires you to think and actually kinda make your own fun. It's not an on rails experience or having everything spelled out for you. There are multiple ways to solve things and it's all based on in built systems that you need to leverage. "Boring people are bored" as they say.

Jaffe continues to be a total moron, but big surprise. He couldn't figure out basic aspects of Metroid Dread. He's demonstrably kinda dumb.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It does look old and bland but the game is incredible. Both can be true.

However, Zelda fans are known for losing their minds over the most minuscule critic of the games.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
wrooooooong. tegra x1 is on tsmc 16nm, maxwell architecture gpu. Compare that to Ampere which was available in 2020, uses Samsung 8nm which is way less efficient than TSMC, and even the best maxwell GPUs are less than half as power efficient. If Nintendo simply paid for an Ampere architecture mobile APU on TSMC 6nm, they could easily get a 15w-class chip that performed 2.5x+ better than the switch in 2021. They simply did not want to spend the money to do it.
Ampere-based mobile APU exists and it is not 2.5x better than X1.
Orin Nano (the only one that could be used in a portable form factor with < 15W) is 2x better and X1.
That is exactly why there is no Switch successor yet... 2x is barely upgrade and fall still below Steam Deck.

Tegra X1 peak: 649 GFLOPS
Orin Nano peak: 1280 GFLOPS

Plus it is probably not possible to use either at peak in fanless portable form factor due heat.... Swtich uses around 60% of peak so Orin Nano using 60% should be shoting around 768 GFLOPS compared with 393 GFLOPS from Switch.

Man 2x better APU is basically nothing gen to gen.... it is not even enough for a Pro upgrade.
5 years late and you have a 2x increase in raw power... don't you see the issue?

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ampere-based mobile APU exists and it is not 2.5x better than X1.
Orin Nano (the only one that could be used in a portable form factor with < 15W) is 2x better and X1.
That is exactly why there is no Switch successor yet... 2x is barely upgrade and fall still below Steam Deck.

Tegra X1 peak: 649 GFLOPS
Orin Nano peak: 1280 GFLOPS

Plus it is probably not possible to use either at peak in fanless portable form factor due heat.... Swtich uses around 60% of peak so Orin Nano using 60% should be shoting around 768 GFLOPS compared with 393 GFLOPS from Switch.

Man 2x better APU is basically nothing gen to gen.... it is not even enough for a Pro upgrade.
5 years late and you have a 2x increase in raw power... don't you see the issue?
You forget that switch is not full tegra x1, it is clocked down to 307 mhz (1/3 of max clocks). Also Orin Nano is centered around AI, and on samsung 8nm which is much less power efficient than tsmc 6nm.

Also, handhelds like the ASUS one run 1080p 120hz, switch is doing 720p at 30/60hz

Last edited:
P

peter42O

This is why I love Jaffe. He doesn't give two shits and always says what he wants.

• they're_right_you_know

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I don't know about others, but I've found the shrines to be a lot more challenging this time, due to Link's powers being more complex. Game also has a greater enemy variety, which was one of my complaints about the first one.
Excellent. But tell me, how easy it is to "make stuff"? I've seen people build all sorts of things. It's not some awkward gimmick and works well, right?