David Jaffe sets Twitter on fire after calling Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom “bland and old looking”

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Folks for some reason believe that consoles get pixie dust based improvements in HW. If the PC HW industry does not move forward in terms of performance/price performance and power efficiency, then these consoles will be here to stay for a long time.

PS5/Xbox series X and series S are MIRACLES being as powerful as they are.
How is the Series S a miracle? It's absolute garbage and a complete ripoff compared to the PS5 DE.

If the Series S is a miracle so were the Switch, the 3DS, the WIi and any other weak hardware that ever existed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
lmao why are you still talking about orin nano? I already showed you a 15w part (680m) which absolutely BTFO the tegra x1.

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think that no advancements in mobile tech in the last 10 years. Also, M1 uses 20w in idle??? LOOOOOOOOOL

No wonder you have no idea what you're talking about. You pull shit straight from your ass.

View attachment 1370
M1 uses 20W in iddle... 40W in full load.
Apples says it is ~7W in iddle and 39W full load CPU only (not CPU and GPU... you can see here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201897) but that is bit unclear how Apple does that calc because real iddle power of Mac Book M1 when you do nothing and have just the descktop opened is near 20W... I suspect iddle power for Apple means the display being shutdown... and of course with CPU and GPU at full load the numbers go heavens (can reach 120W or more).

Same for AnandTech where they test the M1 Max with iddle power at 7W that is probably standby and not iddle at all... they usually explain that in someplace in the article.

Plus the 680m is rated 50W... I really have no ideia what are you talking about.
I 100% assumre you you can't use the 680m in a portable form factor and we are talking only about the GPU... adding the GPU and others componentes you will be closer to 80W than <7W lol

Anyway your "examples" and what needs for a portable handhelp have a big gap... of course you will believe there is tech avaiable for that when a 3TFs GPU is a 15W part :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I wonder why Valve didn't release a more powerful or smaller device with that magical 680m option available.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How is the Series S a miracle? It's absolute garbage and a complete ripoff compared to the PS5 DE.

If the Series S is a miracle so were the Switch, the 3DS, the WIi and any other weak hardware that ever existed.

I just talked about specs, size and power consumption. Never about value or pricing as that is decided by the ecosystem owner.

Folks don't get that this last batch of consoles capitalized on the latest performance improvements on PC HW we been having since 2013: You have the low hanging fruit which is basically a decent CPU to replace the jaguar cores and an SSD to replace the laptop HDDs.

But then you have: just double the memory and a respectable increase in GPU performance

Now, since late 2019 PC HW improvements have basically stagnated on the GPU front. And I say this as a PC only gamer. Look at how folks have to rely on upscalling and fake frames to get more FPS. Ray tracing? DLSS? No one actually wanted that, all those technologies were implemented with DEVS in mind, not gamers. Gamers just want traditional rasterized performance improvements more VRAM, and most of all price/performance improvements.

All these issues PC gaming is currently having will end up biting console manufacturers on the ass as they plan for their newest consoles. Nintendo is not ready to offer a switch 2 with a competitive price point and an increase in specs enough to play scaled down ports of current gen games.

PS5 pro? That thing will end up looking like the 2001 space Odyssey monolith and consume 450w out the wall the way things are going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hastelander

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
M1 uses 20W in iddle... 40W in full load.
Apples says it is ~7W in iddle and 39W full load CPU only (not CPU and GPU... you can see here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201897) but that is bit unclear how Apple does that calc because real iddle power of Mac Book M1 when you do nothing and have just the descktop opened is near 20W... I suspect iddle power for Apple means the display being shutdown... and of course with CPU and GPU at full load the numbers go heavens (can reach 120W or more).

Same for AnandTech where they test the M1 Max with iddle power at 7W that is probably standby and not iddle at all... they usually explain that in someplace in the article.

Plus the 680m is rated 50W... I really have no ideia what are you talking about.
I 100% assumre you you can't use the 680m in a portable form factor and we are talking only about the GPU... adding the GPU and others componentes you will be closer to 80W than <7W lol

Anyway your "examples" and what needs for a portable handhelp have a big gap... of course you will believe there is tech avaiable for that when a 3TFs GPU is a 15W part :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I wonder why Valve didn't release a more powerful or smaller device with that magical 680m option available.
I showed you real world benchmarks and you go and pull up some spec sheet.

LOL I give up. Go ahead and live your fantasy. BTW if you're so smart go look up an M1 macbook's battery life and tell me how it draws 7w in standby LOL 🤣 🤣 🤣 "7w idle" is for the entire laptop, smart guy. That includes a huge screen, storage, ram, wifi, usb. Shit that a handheld won't need. The screen itself probably draws 5w+ idling, a handheld screen won't draw anywhere near as much. FFS man, use your brain.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I showed you real world benchmarks and you go and pull up some spec sheet.

LOL I give up. Go ahead and live your fantasy. BTW if you're so smart go look up an M1 macbook's battery life and tell me how it draws 7w in standby LOL 🤣 🤣 🤣
Standby it should draw minunum... what are you point? If I disable most of components that is what will happen.
That is not iddle lol

You really have no ideia of what are you talking about...

Let's wait your GTX 680M on the next Switch portable that will be twice the sizer of Steam Deck and keep 20 minutes outside the power cord :D

• haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Screenshot 2023-05-16 12.13.39.png

btw my 6800 xt (desktop part, 72 CU compared to 680m 12CU which is on a more efficient node) idles at <10 watts. It's hilarious you think that a laptop part, especiall the apple M1 which is praised for its world-beating power/perf, can't idle at 0.2w.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Standby it should draw minunum... what are you point? If I disable most of components that is what will happen.
That is not iddle lol

You really have no ideia of what are you talking about...

Let's wait your GTX 680M on the next Switch portable that will be twice the sizer of Steam Deck and keep 20 minutes outside the power cord :D
Steamdeck exists, has way better battery life than switch, can run full 720p60 instead of dropping to <500p20 in games, and is on a worse process node than the 680m. yeah 20 minutes outside power cord :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL

Screenshot 2023-05-16 14.19.55.png Screenshot 2023-05-16 14.18.46.png Screenshot 2023-05-16 14.16.50.png

speed increase of 1.5%*1.35% at iso-power = 2x performance increase, then 6nm is another ~5-10% power efficiency on top.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Steamdeck exists, has way better battery life than switch, can run full 720p60 instead of dropping to <500p20 in games, and is on a worse process node than the 680m. yeah 20 minutes outside power cord :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL

View attachment 1375View attachment 1376View attachment 1377

speed increase of 1.5%*1.35% at iso-power = 2x performance increase, then 6nm is another ~5-10% power efficiency on top.
And twice the size (y) plus way weaker than 680M (I know I have no ideia why you thing a GPU with > 50W power draw fits portables).

I'm not even sure what your point anymore 🤷‍♂️
Because it is back to the point that Steam Deck and ASUS ROG Ally is not at the same of a gaming portable... if you increase the size you can increase the power, the amount of baterry, etc lol

Snapdragon doesn't delivery raw power for a gaming machine.... WTF?
If a new Switch uses Snapdragon it will have less capibilities than actual Swtich.

What are you smooking? Can you give me some please.

Last edited:
  • haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
And twice the size (y) plus way weaker than 680M (I know I have no ideia why you thing a GPU with > 50W power draw fits portables).

I'm not even sure what your point anymore 🤷‍♂️
Because it is back to the point that Steam Deck and ASUS ROG Ally is not at the same of a gaming portable... if you increase the size you can increase the power, the amount of baterry, etc lol

Snapdragon doesn't delivery raw power for a gaming machine.... WTF?
If a new Switch uses Snapdragon it will have less capibilities than actual Swtich.

What are you smooking? Can you give me some please.
Lmao talking about power draw of components when you were trying to compare an AI devkit to tegra x1. LOL.

Also, power limits exist. For example you can turn the steamdeck settings to only use 3 watts.

Steamdeck and rog ally size is due to having bigger screen and battery (7" vs 6.2", 40watt-h vs 16 watt-h) Not chip size. If you put a modern mobile chip in switch form factor it will absolutely CRUSH the switch.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Lmao talking about power draw of components when you were trying to compare an AI devkit to tegra x1. LOL.

Also, power limits exist. For example you can turn the steamdeck settings to only use 3 watts.
Orin-nano is basically X1 in Ampere.

And play games at 3fps 🤷‍♂️

Steamdeck and rog ally size is due to having bigger screen and battery (7" vs 6.2", 40watt-h vs 16 watt-h) Not chip size. If you put a modern mobile chip in switch form factor it will absolutely CRUSH the switch.
False and debatable.

Valve explained the size is realated to the power envelop and how they needed to cool the head... in others others because they packed technology inside it.
They could not make it smaller.
The screen size had nothing to do with that... even with a 5" it should have the same size.

Modern mobile chips today are indeed have a big more raw power than Switch 2017.
But even if you use the best you can get on mobile market today you will end with less raw power than what Orion Nano offer that is very weak jump generation from generation.
That is the whole point why there is no hardware today for a Switch sucessor.

Plus modern mobile chips are very simple and lacks a lot of API features used in modern console games.
While Switch is based in Maxwell it is still in better position than actual modern mobile chips.

There is some rumors about Snapdragon build an APU for Switch's sucessor (something way better than actual mobile chips) but I don't take it too serious because if they are the jump will be disapoining to Switch users... it won't reach PS4/Steam Deck level of quality.

Last edited:
  • haha