Digital Foundry: FF7 Rebirth on PS5 Pro is a "Night and Day Difference"

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
If folks like physical media (which is still very relevant for console enthusiasts - AKA the target audience of the pro) there's no way around it.

image.png

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
So how is it an alternative?

“I’m not buying a PS5 Pro for FF7 Rebirth cause it costs 950 with a Disc Drive. So instead will buy it for the PC.”

There is no alternative and that's the point. If you have physical games in your PS collection and want the pro, you have to buy the additional BD drive. Hence the higher price point at which a gaming PC becomes more tempting.They got you by the balls.

That's why it's sold out. The PS user base has sent a tremendous positive reinforcement to Sony. Expect no BD drive on the ps6 by default but an expensive add on to not render your 2 generations old physical collection useless.

Reactions: arvfab

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
4% is just about the total number of PS5 install base I expect will upgrade to a Pro.
Not if we compare to ps4 pro. it represented around 18% (i dont remember the exact percentage) of total ps4 sales last gen, and PS5 seems to be following ps4 pretty close on sales, less than a million units difference between ps4 and ps5 with the same time on the market.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Suddenly it makes sense why they are removing Horizon Forbidden West off PS+. They are hoping people will buy the game for the new upgrades or they don't wanna offer the upgrade for Free. Lol
I am buying the game as I was playing it on PlayStation Plus. 45 hours in. I'm going to lower my subscription to just Essential.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
There is no alternative and that's the point. If you have physical games in your PS collection and want the pro, you have to buy the additional BD drive. Hence the higher price point at which a gaming PC becomes more tempting.They got you by the balls.
But if you already have physical games dont you already have a console that can read those physical games?
How is "let me get rid of everything and start from scratch on PC" a viable alternative?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
But if you already have physical games dont you already have a console that can read those physical games?
How is "let me get rid of everything and start from scratch on PC" a viable alternative?

Exactly and the PC alternative rig is more expensive and without a drive.

They can try all they want. You aren’t getting a PS5 pro spec PC for the same price.

Make it make sense.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We knew this. Just stupid youtube influencers washing the brain of people. At the end you compare the results and decide on what you wanna buy.

Reactions: rofif

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
So shouldn't people with a physical collection upgrade?
yes it just will be more expensive, but if you want you could sell your current ps5 to get a disc drive and a stand and still have money left to bring down the price of the pro to around $500

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
So shouldn't people with a physical collection upgrade?

To what?

Don’t buy a PS5 Pro because it is expensive with a physical drive.

Buy a PC instead which is more expensive with similar specs and no physical drive.

Chuck all your PS4/5 physical games in the bin when you move to PC.

How is this an alternative?

Realistically you either stick to your Base PS5 or buy a PS5 Pro.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
This to be honest,
I do not reccomend the Pro as a first console, specially since base ps5 is really fucking good, like for real I had zero issues with it.
Admitedly the ps5 Pro is a niche product, it's for people who want that extra edge for their playstation gaming.

It doesn't make sense to get this if you're not hardcore.
It doesn't make sense to jump ship to PC
It doesn't make sense to buy one if you dont care about graphics.
It doesn't make sense to get one if you're happy with your current ps5.

I'm still getting one notherless because I am hardcore abouyt my gaming, I care about graphics, I'm not getting a PC for three times the price. I already want another ps5 so this just makes so much sense.

If it doesn't for you thats completely fine and I'm not judging anyone over it.

Edit: I dont mean YOU specifically Muddasar, we good, I just mean anyone reading it.

• Heart
Reactions: Muddasar

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
unless people are idiots like me that bough bloodborne 3 years before I actually got a ps4, you ALREADY HAVE something to play your old games in.

yeah, i think sony just need more communication between their hardware and software teams, if the next state of play isnt packed with a few reveals it will be just confusing market for the pro. Keeping people many more months on secret of the future while only showcasing old games that you cant play due to not having the disc reader anymore is a little silly

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
yes it just will be more expensive, but if you want you could sell your current ps5 to get a disc drive and a stand and still have money left to bring down the price of the pro around $500
To what?

Don’t buy a PS5 Pro because it is expensive with a physical drive.

Buy a PC instead which is more expensive with similar specs and no physical drive.

Chuck all your PS4/5 physical games in the bin when you move to PC.

How is this an alternative?

You both missed the point.
The problem is not the price.
The problem is Sony not giving a fuck about current PS5 fat disc edition owners by not having a price reduced bundle of the Pro + Drive.
Even if it's just 20€, it's the message Sony is sending, combined with many other bad decisions they made.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You both missed the point.
The problem is not the price.
The problem is Sony not giving a fuck about current PS5 fat disc edition owners by not having a price reduced bundle of the Pro + Drive.
Even if it's just 20€, it's the message Sony is sending, combined with many other bad decisions they made.

Let’s wait and see when the bundles come up for sale.

I am certain there will be a Pro with Drive bundle.